Unofficial Who

What games did you complete? 2019 Edition (besides Sekiro)

Some very basic ground rules, when posting about a completion, if people could list their previously completed titles in a spoiler that'd help keep the thread from just turning into a series of ever-increasing lists to scroll through, think of the poor mobile users. Also, it'd be nice if people wrote something about what they've played as it's always good to hear opinions (especially for games that don't have their own threads). Obviously how much you write is up to you, but if it generates some discussion, even better!

Completed doesn't have to mean 100% completion, that would be madness. Don't get too obsessed. If you are playing a game that you find you are hating....just add it to your abandoned pile. Don't waste your time on something you no longer enjoy.

Post mortems on  last years gaming to be kept at the end of the 2018 thread if possible so as not to split the discussion.

Oh, and Happy New Year,

Previous years

2018 https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/303667-what-games-did-you-complete-2018-edition/&

2017 https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/296730-what-games-did-you-complete-2017-edition/&

2016 http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/290301-what-games-did-you-complete-2016-edition/

2015 https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/282982-what-games-did-you-complete-in-2015/

2014 http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/276281-what-games-did-you-finish-in-2014/

2013 https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/267607-what-games-did-you-finish-in-2013/

2012 https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/256988-what-games-did-you-finish-in-2012/

2011 https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/237405-what-games-did-you-finish-in-2011/

2010 http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/236931-what-games-did-you-finish-in-2010/

2009 http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/219264-what-games-did-you-finish-in-2009/

2008 https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/199358-games-youve-completed-this-year-2008/

• Upvote 7

And I've already finished one, although this is a bit of a weird one.

Jan

01/01 TRAUMA (PC) I have no idea why this has been sitting in my pile of shame for so long. Since 2011 in fact. It's an hour long hidden object / puzzle game (although I spent two hours with it) with a very odd but satisfying mechanics. Not sure why I bounced off this before, and maybe The Norwood Suite has put me in the right frame of mind to play some arty indie games. Beret/10.

• Upvote 2

I'm in

This is a fantastic way to help keep some focus on gaming Backlogs etc. 

Going to continue to limit myself to buying one big release a month and a few Indies. Worked well during 2018.

01/01 - SuperHot (PSVR) 

Turns out I was only a couple of levels off finishing this when I last put it down. A fantastic example to sell VR to people, although compared to more recent PSVR offerings I do find the tracking etc struggles more on this in comparison. However there is no denying its a tremendous piece of VR Arcade action. Just has me yearning for a VR Time Crisis now. 

03/01 - Spiderman Silver Lining DLC (PS4) - 100% Complete

Third and final DLC completed bringing an end to my Spiderman journey. Thankfully Silver Lining is significantly better than the previous Turf Wars DLC and manages to end the series on a relatively high note. As a whole the DLC never quite reaches the magnificence of the main game but it was still a joy to play. All photos posted from my adventures can be found here:

09/01 - Resident Evil Revelations (Switch)

In the run-up to my most anticipated release of 2019 (Resi 2 Remake) I thought I'd go back and playthrough the only two Resi titles I've yet to complete from the main series.

Have to admit this one isn't the best, plot was the usual nonsense, characters were laughable/annoying and it was a bit too combat heavy for my linking. However I felt compelled to play through it prior to tackling the superior Revelations 2. In fact some of the bosses almost had this winging its way to the "Abandoned Games of 2019" thread but I stuck with it. What I did enjoy is the bitesized nature of the game. No single chapter lasted over an hour and each one was further broken down into smaller sub-sections, so progress felt quite rapid and rewarding. Was just nice to be able to play through it in a couple of sitting without getting involved in a 30hr+ campaign (that seems the norm nowadays).

10/01 - The Gardens Between (Xbox One Gamepass)

Took out the £1 gamepass sub and this was first on my list to sample. Ended up playing through it in a single sitting. Its a lovely little puzzle game, one thats not overly taxing but does feel quite clever with how puzzles are implemented against a really limited control method (basically left, right and a single action button). It quite rightly joins the list of impressive indie offerings from 2018 and is well worth a quick playthrough.

14/01 - The Eternal Castle (PC) 

Only found out about this due to a trailer posted in a Pixel art thread. What a total gem of a game. Its basically a reimagining of Another World/Flashback, with the most gorgeous 2-Bit CGA graphics you are ever likely to see. Gameplay and controls are almost identical to the aforementioned titles, although slightly more responsive. The game is set across four distinctly themed zones, each one brings it own unique atmosphere. An achievement to be commended given the games incredibly limited palette.

Ended up playing through it in a single sitting, with about 3 hours playtime in total. Which is pretty much perfect for a game of this scope. At only £5.99 on steam I'd say its an essential purchase... oh and heres the trailer incase you need further convincing:

22/01 - Resident Evil Revelations 2 (Switch)

Achieved my goal of playing through Revelations 1 & 2 before the arrival of Resident Evil 2 Remake. Ended up really enjoying this entry in the series and it was an infinite improvement over Revelations 1 (but I guess that one was held back by being a port of a 3DS game). Felt a definite return to form, and there was a lot to like about it...  it looked great, had a nice exploration/combat balance, has Barry as a playable character, a co-op buddy system that actually works without being intrusive and didn't overstay its welcome.

I'm now all set to reenter Racoon City and sample some next Gen Resi action. 

01/02 - Resident Evil 2 Remake (PS4) - Leon Playthrough

04/02 - Resident Evil 2 Remake (PS4) - Claire (2nd Run) Playthrough

Well all I can say is that the 20 year wait was worth it. My game of the PS1 generation has also just become my game of the PS4 generation. I seriously couldn't have asked for more and this has undoubtedly raised the bar for future remasters/remakes. The game just oozes love for the franchise and somehow manages to add a fresh twist without losing what made the original so great. The perfect mix of old and new elements.

I'm already looking forward to the free DLC next week along with tackling the alternate Claire/Leon playthroughs to complete the set.  

An outstanding title from start to finish. 

10/02 - Moss (PS4)

Ashamed to have only just got around to trying this. Another wonderful example of how exciting and original VR gaming can be. My only one regret is not trying this before AstroBot, as that uses a lot of similar VR tricks and effects that would have had a much more of an impact on me if I'd played it upon release. 

Still the fairytale story is stunningly presented and Quill is just utterly adorable. Another short but oh so sweet VR title that should be on everyones list to try.

15/03 - Metro Exodus (PS4)

Its been over a month since my last completion but this one was worth it. Knew it was going to be something special when I played the demo at last years EGX and wasn't disappointed. Easily the best in the series and the outdoor environments are simply stunning. If I had one criticism its that the game peaked too early, the very first zone absolutely nails the STALKER vibes, yet sadly as the game progresses the zones become progressively more linear culminating in the final chapter thats like the Metro levels of old. Having said that it doesn't detract from it being a thoroughly enjoyable experience and another example that games don't need multiplayer or micro-transactions to be engaging. Its just a good old fashioned single plaster romp and all the better for it. 

Oh and its got a very nice photo-mode too.. the results of which can be found here:

Edited by U-1
  • Upvote 2

I got distracted last year and finished games for reviews rather than keeping proper track of them. Let's try and be more organised:

Last night but counting it as it was 2019 somewhere by then:

Gravity Rush (Vita): Took me a while to adjust to the gravity shifting and spent a long time at the beginning just floating around but once I got the hang of it this became a joy. Didn't clear all the challenges as wasn't good enough at the time trials but will replay on PS4 with the kids.

This morning:

Titanfall 2 (PS4): picked this up for £4 and rattled through the campaign. Wished I'd put the difficulty higher as it was mostly a breeze but really enjoyed a great and tightly focused single player mode. Not going to bother with multiplayer (although might dip in for the trophies) but will reinstall at some point to try it at Master difficulty.

• Upvote 1

I like to keep track and will continue this year.

Happened to finish one today as well, although I started it last week:

Super Mario Odyssey [9]

28 Dec-1 Jan

Yeah, this is pretty special. Love the open levels and the cap mechanic, and there are loads of clever ideas to put it to good use. Some of the creatures you can capture are wonderfully inventive.

It does often jump from one thing to the next too quickly, before making enough of them, but that's less of an issue once things get a bit more challenging. The low point of the game (other than those awful rabbit characters) is New Donk City about halfway through, but every stage after that is excellent. And now I've reached the end there's an absolute ton more stuff to do. It's hard to know where to start, but I think I'll keep playing a while.

I still struggle with the controls and camera a bit in the trickier platform sections, but it does get slightly easier with practice. Mostly forgivable as well in a game that's trying so many different things and has so much content.

Best Mario since 64.

• Upvote 3

Let's do this:

01/01: Donut County - The perfect hangover cure. Short, but a similar idea to Katamari. You control a hole, which increases in size the more stuff which falls down it. Silly, short and fun. 7/10

• Upvote 2

I'll try and keep up with this this year, starting with...

Far: Lone Sails

I first heard about this when it came out and thought it looked intriguing, but I was planning on waiting for a console release. After it appeared on a couple of podcast game of the year lists though I just picked it up in the Steam Sale, and I'm so glad I played it.

It's very short at around three hours, but totally unique and surprisingly poignant. The weird ship/train/car hybrid you pilot is a wonderful piece of design, and getting dragging it through the beautiful but desolate world feels really rewarding. 

By the end I was left with a surprisingly emotional reaction that I wasn't expecting, putting up there with The Gardens Between for me as an equally unique and bite size game.

• Upvote 3

I am up for this. It's a resolution of mine, along with eating less shite and reading more. I'm hoping Yakuza 0 is first...I got 20 hours or so in on PS4, but recently treated myself to an ultra wide monitor, so am going back through some older games in 21:9 to drink in the...wideness? Yes. Anyway, I'm currently flitting between Yak 0, MH World, started Witcher 3 again, Edith Finch and X4 (although that's not really one you can 'complete' so I'll leave that off).  Oh, and Hitman 2. 

Also just got God Of War, Onrush and RedDead on PS4 (don't hold much hope for completing all of those...) and a ton of Switch stuff (Mario Rabbids, that Marble game and Into The Breach). Phew.  Wish me luck...

• Upvote 1

Two games finished on the first day of the year. Who'd have thought?

Florence

This is the first mobile game I've played in a long time, although it's more of a visual novel than a game. It's also very short indeed, but like a good short story it manages to pack a well structured, and very effective tale in that short time.

It's a love story of sorts, but it's a love story that starts where most would finish, exploring a developing relationship and the changing lives of the couple involved. It does this with no real dialogue, instead relying on simple minigame vignettes which are quite amazingly effective. I can safely say that this game contains the most emotional jigsaws I've ever completed.

I really liked it, and it was well worth the £3 or so it cost. 

Previously:

January

• Upvote 4

Ok! I finished a game on the first!

1st January

Wolfenstein: The New Order

I've had this one for a while. I guess I picked it up when it was pretty cheap? Or maybe it was on PS Plus. Dunno.

Anyway I thought it was pretty tedious at first and didn't go back to it for over a year. It's a very old school FPS in its approach to health pickups, enemies and the length between its checkpoints. I'm not a fan of FPS games for the most part but the weapons were really nice and meaty toward the latter half, once the Nazis started exploding. I'd have appreciated a more generous auto-aim because I have trouble aiming with the right analogue. The game doesn't indicate that you're taking damage very clearly either, especially at low volumes; I ended up having to look at the health number going down to realise I was close to death.

The last boss was wildly difficult. I think some Resident Evil 4-style adaptive difficulty saw me through eventually after multiple retries. Not a pleasant finale.

Some of the spectacle is likely lost since it's a cross-gen game so I may still give the sequel a go if it's affordable. I have Doom to get through anyway so I'm in no rush to play it.

Ended up writing about very few of the games I completed in 2018 but I completed more than normal. Here's that list below (Celeste was the best one):

Spoiler

24th January
Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (Nintendo Switch)
31st January
Celeste (Nintendo Switch)
19th February
Dandara (Nintendo Switch)
20th February
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS4)
17th March
Golf Story (Nintendo Switch)
20th April
Firewatch (PS4)
20th May
God of War (PS4)
13th June
Kamiko (Nintendo Switch)
25th June
Blossom Tales (Nintendo Switch)
16th July
Pocket Rumble (Nintendo Switch)
31st August
Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (Nintendo Switch)
4th September
Minit (Nintendo Switch)

25th September

Hollow Knight (Nintendo Switch)
9th November
Tetris Effect (PS4)
30th November
Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection (PS4)

• Upvote 5

On 01/01/2019 at 16:25, Mogster said:

I'll try and keep up with this this year, starting with...

Sounds wonderful, it's been on my wishlist for a while now. Another one add. Thanks for that. -_-

• Upvote 2

January 2019

Pokemon: Let's Go, Eevee! (Switch - 2018)

This remake of (deep breath) Red/Blue/Green/Yellow benefits from the scrapping of wild Pokemon battles, and also ratchets the cute factor up to obscene degrees. It's very, very easy - although while being simultaneously a bit of a slog by the end - but overall this is a bright and breezy trip down nostalgia lane.  7/10

Resident Evil (PS4 - 2015)

A quick run through REmake in preparation for RE2's own reworking later this month. A stone cold classic if ever there was one, even if the PS4 port's main achievement is to make the FMV scenes look as awful as possible. 10/10

• Upvote 4

Loved this thread the last few years, it's given me a good focus to get stuff finished and then have a think about what I just sunk hours of my spare time into. Can't imagine I'll be finishing anything for a while though as I'm working on Danganronpa V3, Zero Time Dilemma, Stein's Gate, Persona 4 Golden, Ace Attorney 5, Witcher 3 and Far Cry Primal at the moment. And all those depend on me turning off the Persona dancing games. Forget new releases, there is a lot of gaming in that list but it gives me something to aim at for the first few months. I'm also playing Gravity Rush on the Vita for the first time properly, despite owning it for years, and I believe thats only short, so maybe I'll try that first for an early win.

• Upvote 2

I'm gonna try and join in this thread for the first time this year.

02/01: Yoku's Island Express

I'd been meaning to pick this up since release and the TCGS guys were raving about it. Unfortunately I have to (try and) be sensible with what games I buy now as even with the Switch I don't get a lot of time to play. Anyway the Christmas sale price of £7.99 coupled with a eShop voucher and a few days off work meant I had to finally give it a go.

A beautiful little game with charm coming out of it's backside. The only downer I have is the limited nature of the beeline makes travelling around to 100% a bit of a chore, but that's a more personal time thing rather than a knock on the game itself.

I really hope to see more from this dev team as it's great to see there are still interesting ideas out there for gaming.

• Upvote 3

I've managed three games in the first three days of January (because I deliberately chose games I was a decent chunk of the way through).

2nd January

Overcooked (PS4)

Overcooked is a dish best served co(ld)-operatively. As chefs, you zip around the kitchen preparing dishes to match the order tickets as they come in. Chopping and cooking onions/tomatoes/mushrooms for soups, buns and meat for burgers, frying fish & chips etc, then plating it all up to serve, while simultaneously dealing with other kitchen tasks like washing dishes, putting out fires, navigating ice floes or jumping from moving trucks. The usual hospitality challenges.

It all starts in earnest as you assign each other tasks to ensure the smoothest service but the stages always introduce juuuust the right amount of complication to throw you off your rhythm. Orders tickets will pile up, shudder, then buzz a time penalty while you struggle to complete a cover. Meanwhile a neglected pot catches fire and before you can get to an extinguisher a rat has taken all of your onions. Some kitchen layouts deliberately funnel you down paths which obstruct your partner, adding to the malicious, delicious frustration.

Communication, of course, is important and so often we'd start with a solid plan and clear instructions only to find ourselves with one minute left shouting "Onion! Onion! Onion!" at the TV.

It's a relatively short game and my wife and I tried it a decent number of times at Glasgow's GlesGames events before picking it up for ourselves on PS4. We played a large portion of it in co-op before the more complex stages saw our streak of three star completions fall to twos and ones, which then impacted our progress as new challenges are gated by your total star count.

My wife gave me Overcooked 2 on Switch for Christmas which we had a great time with during our days off so we decided to finish off the original yesterday. I figured we only had a handful of stages left however it ended up being around 7 or so, then the final "boss" stage which runs a fair bit longer than the others. The gating is pretty strict so we had to return to improve our score on earlier stages just to progress, as well as retries on a bunch we failed so it took a couple hours more than I anticipated.

Anyway it is still such great fun. I'll always strongly recommend it to anyone looking for local co-op games. We didn't manage to three-star every stage in the game however we also didn't get divorced so I consider that a positive overall.

3rd January

Super Punch Out!! (SNES Mini)

I deliberately picked this one to keep the streak goin'. I completed it a number of times on the original SNES and remembered enough from back then to breeze through the opening few circuits. The last couple are definitely trickier; opponents' tells are brief, as are the timing windows in which to counter them. I used save-states before each bout so I wouldn't have to start each four-fight circuit all over again, like a scumbag.

It still sounds and looks great. Attacks hit with hefty thuds and thwacks and it uses hitstop to great effect; powerful blows to the gut briefly freeze your opponent's gurning face before sending them slamming into the corner padding. I reckon that hitstop, as well as the delightfully exaggerated opponent design, is the main reason I much prefer the SNES game to the zippier NES one. That and there's no SNES opponent as utterly ruthless as Tyson/Mr Dream.

I never did finish the Wii sequel. What little I played of it seemed very much in keeping with the SNES game's spirit. I reckon I'll end up hunting a cheap copy down before the year is out.

Previously:

Spoiler

1st January

Wolfenstein: The New Order

• Upvote 2

Off to a good start:

01/01 - SuperHot (PSVR) 

Turns out I was only a couple of levels off finishing this when I last put it down. A fantastic example to sell VR to people, although compared to more recent PSVR offerings I do find the tracking etc struggles more on this in comparison. However there is no denying its a tremendous piece of VR Arcade action. Just has me yearning for a VR Time Crisis now. 

03/01 - Spiderman Silver Lining DLC (PS4) - 100% Complete

Third and final DLC completed bringing an end to my Spiderman journey. Thankfully Silver Lining is significantly better than the previous Turf Wars DLC and manages to end the series on a relatively high note. As a whole the DLC never quite reaches the magnificence of the main game but it was still a joy to play. All photos posted from my adventures can be found here:

• Upvote 3

4th January

even with a massive pile of shame

even with paper-thin repetitive grind gameplay, and unpredictable difficulty curve.

I completed Just Cause 3 on the PS4. Happy to admit I've been playing it since last year. Or since whenever it came to PS+. Sporadically.

1st trophy: 06/08/17

Then when the boneX died I needed to play something. Obviously I could have played Spiderman, or Horizon ZD, or anything. Yet, this has been my go-to for a few weeks now.

it's like a tropical Crackdown. I might go back to JC2, if my PS3 gets hooked up again...

Edited by SeanR
  • Upvote 3

On 02/01/2019 at 18:57, Mitchell said:

Sounds wonderful, it's been on my wishlist for a while now. Another one add. Thanks for that. -_-

Thanks @Mogster, my first game completed.  Not only of 2019, but bloody ages!  

04/01 - Far: Lone Sails

What a lovely little experience to start the new year with.  Wonderful soundtrack, Limbo-like puzzles, a couple of really interesting set pieces and poignant moments...that I imagine are open to interpretation.  I have questions below...anyway, recommended.  :wub:

Spoiler

Were the pictures near the end of the guy who had...created these machines?  Like a Wright Brothers figure?  Also, was that his coffin?!   

And at the end, it felt like you were activating a lighthouse, to help in some way.  I suppose this theory is supported by the final sound of a ship.  

Also, I wonder if you didn't pick up thr radio, you didn't hear the voices about 3/4 of the way through? I'll save that for a next play through...

• Upvote 1

@Mitchell Glad you liked it! It was certainly a memorable start to the year. As for the spoiler stuff:

The guy in the pictures certainly seemed to be the designer of the vehicles in the game, and I believe that was his grave. More interestingly, I was reading earlier that the guy you bury at the start of the game is his brother, and presumably a father figure of some sort to your character.

My reading of the end was a lot more bleak. I didn't hear a ship, so all I took from the end was that you'd lit a torch and were left waiting for the end as the waters rose. I'd much rather think that help was coming though, responding to your lit beacon. It looked like many more people had made the same journey as yourself based on the amount of abandoned vehicles left on the beach. I think the player character must have stayed behind to look after the person you buried, and was finally able to make the journey after his death.

I think I heard somewhere that you only hear those voices if you took the radio, but it sounds like there are others around somewhere. :)

9 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Does anyone know if Far: Lone Sails will see a console release?

Xbox One and PS4 versions are listed as "tba" on the dev's website. I don't think there's been any word on a release date though.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Mogster said:

@Mitchell Glad you liked it! It was certainly a memorable start to the year. As for the spoiler stuff:

Hide contents

The guy in the pictures certainly seemed to be the designer of the vehicles in the game, and I believe that was his grave. More interestingly, I was reading earlier that the guy you bury at the start of the game is his brother, and presumably a father figure of some sort to your character.

My reading of the end was a lot more bleak. I didn't hear a ship, so all I took from the end was that you'd lit a torch and were left waiting for the end as the waters rose. I'd much rather think that help was coming though, responding to your lit beacon. It looked like many more people had made the same journey as yourself based on the amount of abandoned vehicles left on the beach. I think the player character must have stayed behind to look after the person you buried, and was finally able to make the journey after his death.

I think I heard somewhere that you only hear those voices if you took the radio, but it sounds like there are others around somewhere. :)

Spoiler

Isn't it odd that you didn't hear a ship...it was right at the very end after the credits as the screen went black IIRC? 

I noticed a few of the achievements (I think I managed half) were around items to be found/carried, and you could burn everything, right??! Makes sense there would be more than one of each thing. Hidden away...

I wonder how many other people hung up the duck in their room but put the chair on the floor! 

4 minutes ago, Mitchell said:

Hide contents

Isn't it odd that you didn't hear a ship...it was right at the very end after the credits as the screen went black IIRC? 

I noticed a few of the achievements (I think I managed half) were around items to be found/carried, and you could burn everything, right??! Makes sense there would be more than one of each thing. Hidden away...

I wonder how many other people hung up the duck in their room but put the chair on the floor! 

I'm sure the sound played after my run. I just didn't notice it.

And yes you can burn anything. I used hooks to keep burnable trash out of the way as well as for stuff I wanted to keep, and as a result I accidentally burnt at least two lamps. :facepalm:

01/01 - Doom (Switch)

A technical marvel that I've owned since the start of 2018, but shelved quickly after finding it almost unplayable in handheld mode. I decided to go back in after picking up one of the Satisfye grips in December, and my complaints evaporated. Slick, quick, and brutal, this was everything I wanted in a modern update to Doom, and though I felt the bosses outstayed their welcome, the rest of the game more than made up for it. I'd like to revisit the multiplayer (if only for the novelty of a full fat FPS on a handheld console), but as I don't play anything else online on the Switch I haven't shelled out for the online pass, so will draw a line under this one for now. My most-used weapon by far was the regular shotgun.

• Upvote 1

4th January

Rogue Fable III

header.jpg

Ranger (elf)

I'm a sucker for these simplified roguelikes.
Loving this, very accessible, completely mouse driven if you don't want to use the keys, you can play it completely one handed while stirring your cauldron.
Nice cartoony graphics, streamlined but with enough strategic depth to keep things interesting.
My favourite since Golden Krone Hotel.

• Upvote 3