Sh****st game you ever got bought

carlospie

Shining Force CD

Just battle after battle nothing like the mega drive games.

Cost me £250 for the mega cd, £40 for a memory cartridge & £60 for the game.

Special reserve we’re laughing all the way to the bank.

I remember buying G.A.S.P!! Fighters NEXTream on N64 in the hope that it would be a decent fighting game in lieu of a Street Fighter game. It was atrocious. I got it cheap though so it wasn't as much of a sting as paying full price for Turok 2.

Also I really enjoyed Krusty's Super Fun House. Was the Mega Drive version really that much worse?

I had a thing for Vigilante ( Irem game )  i still do too ;)

My mate had the PC engine version which obviously wowed me.  - I will put at the end of this post.

This is the abomination i was bought for the Amiga at the time.

Like night and day it was!

Gawd knows what else it came out on. c64/Spectrum/Amstrad/Atari ST versions were utter pap.

Also  I've  literally only just seen the Master System version - which is pretty cute to be fair!

3 hours ago, Wiper said:

Did one of the devs go on to become Carol Vorderman's plastic surgeon 20 years later? That is spooky.

3 hours ago, Stopharage said:

Brink.

It was amazing on pc, I loved that game so much. Nobody else did though, I was rattling around the maps on my own feeling sorry for myself at the finish.

I can't really think of any awful games I got bought, there must have been loads back on the speccy.

I got International Karate on SNES (also known as Panzer Kickboxing) for passing my GCSEs. I wanted (I think) Super Street Fighter II, but Game didn't have it. My mum asked the guy behind the counter if there was anything similar, and that's what he recommended. One of those games where I convinced myself it was good and played it for hours anyway. It wasn't good.

I remember really enjoying Krusty's Fun House on the NES when I was a kid. 

Can't think of any bad games I was ever gifted, there was a shit game that I can't remember the name of bundled with my PlayStation the year I got that. But I traded that in for the Space Jam game which I guess was a bit crap but I loved it 

1 hour ago, Gizamaluke said:

The Getaway on PS2. Got it Xmas 2002 from my mum. I was genuinely hyped for this and seem to recall it reviewed quite well but Christ was it a load of turgid shite. Awful, horrible con of a game.

Ahh but I have the version with  British Telecom stickers everywhere :) - the internet seems to have forgotten about it mostly.

Allow me to answer this with a video.

And yet I kinda have a soft spot for it, maybe because I'd have loved that opportunity as a kid and despite Kim's distain for the very concept of the game, I fucking love a busywork game for some reason.

2 hours ago, Jazz Glands said:

Probably Royal Rumble on the Dreamcast.

That wolf-whistle :hmm:

Haha I used to play this and pretend it was good, but your right it wasn’t . Only good thing was the amount of players you could have in royal rumble mode. And vince McMahon secret character 

16 hours ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

I had a thing for Vigilante ( Irem game )  i still do too ;)

My mate had the PC engine version which obviously wowed me.  - I will put at the end of this post.

This is the abomination i was bought for the Amiga at the time.

Like night and day it was!

Gawd knows what else it came out on. c64/Spectrum/Amstrad/Atari ST versions were utter pap.

Also  I've  literally only just seen the Master System version - which is pretty cute to be fair!

I had the Amiga version, although I only paid £7.99 for the budget version.

I remember at the time thinking it was so bloody hard, but I think the problem is that it’s essentially a remake of Kung Fu Master, meaning it should be one kick/punch to knock most enemies off the screen. Whereas in the Amiga version, you had to hit each enemy 4 or 5 times for them to die - meaning you ended up being swamped by them.

it did look amazing in the screenshots, mind!

18 hours ago, Stopharage said:

Brink. 

Genuinely thought it would be a decent MP experience and it was broken from day one. The truly aggravating factor behind my frustration with it was there were occasional glimpses of the promise. The net code was abysmal though and it resonates as one of those miserable gaming experiences. 

That I convinced my wife to buy it for me, and that she laughed at how poor it was, adds further humiliation to the mix. 

was thinking about this the other day, the art style was there seller for me and indeed it all went to shit on release. Whats weird tho is playing Overwatch the main premise of guarding the vehicle to the next checkpoint is the same.

This Speccy conversion of an obscure Data East arcade game:

395757-breakthru-zx-spectrum-front-cover

I bought it based on the cover art while on holiday and couldn't wait to get home and play it. The very instant I started playing I could tell it was pure shit. I finished it, because you could easily complete the entire game just by holding the jump button.

I'm tempted to see if I have the NES or arcade versions on my RetroPi to see if it's as bad.

image.png

The most misled and duped I ever felt was Imagine's Schizoids on the ZX Spectrum. The idea of the game was (I think) that you were some kind of cosmic bin man, bulldozing space debris into a blackhole with your space bulldozer as seen on the deceptively Foss-esque cover art. 

The reality was a wireframe nightmare that didn't even pass as an Asteroids clone. Even at the time I remember that the controls hardly worked, there was no sound and the entire screen suffered from horrible flickering. This was one of those games that I either saved my dinner money to buy or persuaded my parents to buy for me (probably the former) so it was especially gutting to have wasted gaming budget on an absolute stinker like this.

418902-schizoids-zx-spectrum-front-covermaxresdefault.jpg

When I was a kid I was only given games I’d asked for.

However as an adult... my parents once gave me Top Gear Rally for the N64 which was pretty awful with horrible muddy graphics. 

My mother-in-law gave me Call of Duty 3 on the 360 which was a glitchy mess. I soon tired of the respawning enemies and being shot through walls and closed doors.