dumpster

Black Mirror - Bandersnatch

20 minutes ago, probotector said:

Charlie Brooker has done an interview with the Huff, didn’t know he was a game reviewer in the 90s? Anyone know which magazine?

His message to people who don’t like Bandersnatch and having to make choices? 

“Fuck off” :)

PC Zone. He started off drawing cartoons for CEX (who he was working for) to use in their adverts, PC Zone asked him if he wanted to draw some cartoons for them and he ended up writing reviews for them.

Edit: 

These types of adverts.

image-copy.png

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, JohnC said:

I thought this would have a good chance of being thrown out of court until five minutes in. Oof. They're going to have to argue in court that CYOA is so universal it's like when they used to call video games Nintendo games on tv.

Trademark doesn't mean ownership of the word/phrase.  It's an exclusive right to use the 'mark' in certain areas of trade (like books).   The TV show isn't a book and the use of the phrase is only in dialogue within the show so I don't think it infringes anything.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, JPickford said:

Trademark doesn't mean ownership of the word/phrase.  It's an exclusive right to use the 'mark' in certain areas of trade (like books).   The TV show isn't a book and the use of the phrase is only in dialogue within the show so I don't think it infringes anything.

Pretty sure you're right. I think they've missed an opportunity to take advantage of the nostalgia market for adults rather than suing. Sort of "like Bandersnatch? Read the books that inspired the show." I've heard some in the industry compare this to when Paris Hilton tried to trademark the phrase "That's hot." It won't go anywhere but it will waste a lot of time and money.

According to that link, they resurrected a lapsed trademark

When Bantam, now owned by Random House, allowed the Choose Your Own Adventure trademark to lapse, the series was relaunched by Chooseco, which now owns the trademark.

And it's not like they were waiting to pounce like happens with some web addresses. There was a gap of a few years and the new company was founded by someone involved with the original company way back.

I voted sugar puffs cos it reminded me of being little in the 80s. We never used to get Frosties (very often) whereas Sugar Puffs were quite a regular thing.

See, that's why I voted Frosties. They had those little toys you could get in the bag of Tony the tiger on a some kind of snow-ski ... sled ... thing.  

I think. Plus, they tasted GGGRRRRRRRRRREAT!*

Sugar Puffs ... well ... yeah.

But no.

Spoiler

Did they fuck. I hated cereal as a kid, and am really happy cereals are all now being found out as sugar-filled shite that is no good for you whatso-fucking-ever.

20 hours ago, cassidy said:

Also announced this week was that awesome Akira poster in Colin's room is an anachronism.  Thought it shouldn't have been there.

Announced?

I have no idea when the poster was produced nor how the hell someone in the UK would get hold of it in the UK in 1984 but it seems to me the image is from the manga and not the anime.

The movie was released in 1988 but the manga started in December 1982.

akira-image.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 12/01/2019 at 12:24, JPickford said:

While I agree it seems like nonsense to try and sue over trademark infringement for "choose your own adventure", that article says

The publisher says it has registered the use of the phrase in connection with movies, books and other forms of media. 20th Century Fox currently holds an option to develop a film based on the Choose Your Own Adventure books.

They were/are developing an app to be used with movies, allowing for the audience to make decisions on what happens next.

But I think the issue they have is that Netflix were in talks to licence the name in 2016, but didn't go ahead with it, and Bandersnatch apparently explicitly states that the programmer wants to recreate a "choose your own adventure" book*

*I don't know what it says, as it turns out that the latest Apple TV isn't deemed as good enough for Netflix, so it doesn't work.

https://mashable.com/article/black-mirror-bandersnatch-apple-tv-chromecast/?europe=true

It may be a groundbreaking high-tech piece of TV entertainment, but the interactive Black Mirror movie Bandersnatch is off limits if you happen to be using the highest-rated high-tech TV setup.

That would be the Apple TV, the 4K model of which we recently rated not only the most essential set-top box but also the most ahead-of-the-pack product Apple currently makes. (Many users agreed.) 

Bandersnatch is also unavailable on Google's Chromecast and Amazon's Fire Stick. (Update: Netflix is at pains to point out that it will play on new versions of the Fire Stick, but hasn't said when the cutoff point is.) Try to watch it on these platforms and what you'll get instead of the two-plus hour storyline is a 2-minute supercut of Black Mirror characters from other episodes saying "sorry." And if you thought you could stream it from other devices to these set-top boxes: Sorry, that won't work either. 

If Netflix are now basing success on the amount of views, not supporting the latest Apple TV or Chromecast surely has to have had an affect on Bandersnatch's viewing figures. 

I just watched this, only finding out it was a choose your own adventure when I pressed play.

I must say it was pretty amazing and my mind is in a bend right now.

Really disappointed about the reviews...are these people not able to see the whole thing as a complex mosaic of mind boggling events and consequences  rather than a disjointed incoherent montage?

• Upvote 1