dumpster

Black Mirror - Bandersnatch

On 01/01/2019 at 15:06, witchypoos said:

Haven't watched it yet, but her stuff is usually decent quality

edit: Having watched it, it seems like a last minute, rushed, bandwagon jump job to exploit the spike in youtube searches, watchable, but I'm sorry if that was your first exposure.

edit again: fucking hell, that sounds really snotty, it wasn't that bad :lol: The other stuff is better, put it that way.

I mostly like Kim’s videos but that one was dreadful. Her on camera presentation was weird. 

• Upvote 2

On 29/12/2018 at 23:50, MK-1601 said:

It's weird they dressed a whole street in Croydon to look like 1984 for a ~30 second scene.

That part of Croydon still looks like it’s in the 80’s so they didn’t have to do much.

I actually walk through there on way to work and for a couple of days thought that was a new WH Smith opening because they had been using that retro style on their carrier bags in all their shops at the time so assumed they were going back to it.  

I couldn’t use the interactive bits as neither my BT box or Apple TV (2nd gen I think) support the interactivity. I could watch it on my Mac I suppose (or display that on the telly somehow) but is it worth bothering? Should I just watch it non-interactive?

Best bit was the Kung fu fight in the office, by far. 

It felt experimental. I’m not sure it achieved everything it set out to do, but then who am I to judge?

• Downvote 1

What I like about the process to get to that bit is that it's intentionally set up to say more about the viewer than anything else.

2 hours ago, Popo said:

Best bit was the Kung fu fight in the office, by far. 

It felt experimental. I’m not sure it achieved everything it set out to do, but then who am I to judge?

That was the worst part for me.

Spoiler

The only options for "Do you want more action" being "Yes", or "Fuck yeah". 

Up until that point I was really loving the existential themes, then it pulled that. What a load of shit.

Thing is, I do get why they did it. Just when the show acknowledges you, the viewer, as being in control, it removes that control in the most "haha, fuck you!" way possible. I get it; I don't have to like it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Empathy 1

I like/admire what this is trying to do, but I don’t think it does it very well. I’ve been through it a few times and didn’t find any conclusion satisfying, but perhaps I’m not supposed to. The eighties setting and soundtrack is wonderful, with so much attention to detail.

Not sure why there’s been a bit of a Will Poulter backlash, I thought he was great.

On 05/01/2019 at 14:52, ZOK said:

I couldn’t use the interactive bits as neither my BT box or Apple TV (2nd gen I think) support the interactivity. I could watch it on my Mac I suppose (or display that on the telly somehow) but is it worth bothering? Should I just watch it non-interactive?

Watch it interactive, it's how it's intended to be. 

On 05/01/2019 at 23:32, Benny said:

What I like about the process to get to that bit is that it's intentionally set up to say more about the viewer than anything else.

Yeah, they really pushed you to fuck with the poor guy with the final choice being “fuck yeah” for more action lmao

14 hours ago, skondo said:

Not sure why there’s been a bit of a Will Poulter backlash, I thought he was great.

From what I gather, there isn't backlash, just people being utter cunts and making fun of his appearance.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Stigweard said:

From what I gather, there isn't backlash, just people being utter cunts and making fun of his appearance.

Indeed. Knobs. Yes he is funny looking but who cares? He was brilliant. Absolutely superb. Really sad to hear he's even had to leave Twitter, but it's a piece of shit wasteland anyway. 

• Empathy 2

On 29/12/2018 at 20:25, dumpster said:

If you select to work in house you get an ending, but if you repeat the game the same scene is all slightly altered - Colin says he's met you before, You pre-empt the conversation about the crash, and Colin says he loved the book. 

I thought this bit was amazing, and is the point where it becomes more than a TV version of Choose your own Adventure.

10 hours ago, Gregory Wolfe said:

192360-arcadia-zx-spectrum-front-cover.j

IIRC this was one of the tiny number of titles that worked on my 16K Spectrum. Though I can't remember anything about it so maybe not. Jumping Jack, Ah Diddums and Molar Maul definitely worked.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, morcs said:

I thought this bit was amazing, and is the point where it becomes more than a TV version of Choose your own Adventure.

Coupled with Ritman's comments on multiple dimensions during the drug sequence, it cements that the show is designed to be watched in its entirety, even if it's one of the few examples I could find where the events of one timeline weave into others. It's not a personal, the-ending-you-get-is-the-one-for-you story.

• Upvote 2

I just watched this, and got a few endings. The first one didn't role credits, there was an "exit to credits" button at the top corner,  but it was showing me choices on the TV, then I got the comedy ending (seems a bit easy to stumple upon), then I got an ending that felt like a true ending and a better handled version of that meta twist, but then I kept going until it gave me some proper credits and stopped offering me options to go back. Some spoilery thoughts:

Spoiler

This stuff is second nature to us,  but it cleverly introduced it to an audience presumably new to it, having a choose your own adventure game about a choose your own adventure game allowed a lot of the dialogue to be very on the nose, and the decision to give you a bad ending very early on as part of the critical path is just like how games teach their mechanics. The choices before that point didn't change your path, but like in games they gave you a nod to show it acknowledged that you'd made them anyway.

In retrospect I expected the game and the Bandersnatch to play more of a role, a route where our character finds himself inside a maze with those distinctive two tone walls, etc. Our glimpses at the game felt like foreshadowing for different paths, I kept expecting the conspiracy plotline to involve an agent popping up with the option to kill him.

I didn't think the train ending was the important ending, I think given how often killing your dad came up, that's probably the intended path, even though it ends up with the main character mad and in jail. The true ending to me felt like the one where he takes out all the choices to give the illusion of free will, and after that Colin's daughter starts working on a new adaptation of Bandersnatch, which was the show we were watching, that was a better version of the meta twist than the comedy ending and essentially turned the whole thing into, I dunno the digital equivalent of those Lovecraftian tomes that drive people insane, I guess.

And christ you'd go mad unpicking the meta references, I mean, Bandersnatch is a Grue, there's an UBIK poster on the wall of Colins flat because Jerome is Philip K Dick and Bandersnatch is UBIK, the PACS stuff feels like a reference to Polybius (the urban legend)  especially given the appearance of Jeff Minter, the creator of the real-world Polybius, a real version of a fictional game, unlike Bandersnatch, which is a fictional version of a real game - arggghhh!

• Upvote 1

On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 10:15, sharak said:

Indeed. Knobs. Yes he is funny looking but who cares? He was brilliant. Absolutely superb. Really sad to hear he's even had to leave Twitter, but it's a piece of shit wasteland anyway. 

Is he funny looking? Good job I'm not on TV.

Charlie Brooker has done an interview with the Huff, didn’t know he was a game reviewer in the 90s? Anyone know which magazine?

His message to people who don’t like Bandersnatch and having to make choices? 

“Fuck off” :)