CovisGod

Bits in Games that genuinely shocked you (spoilers ahead)

I'll say again, it's a thread of spoilers so don't moan at me if you read on! I would say try and not mention brand new games if possible.

So the question is, what parts in Games genuinely shocked you? I'll name a few... 

Spoiler

Aeriths death in FF7, didn't see it coming atall, cried back in 1997 whilst playing it. 

Red Dead 1, when you come out of the barn at the end and wake up as your son, again, just really wasn't expecting it. 

Here's a random one, I went in to Undertale totally blind, never so much as saw a screenshot, and when that happy twinkly music is playing at the start I thought this is nice, until the music stops and the happy flower turns in to an evil bastard, that I was like whoah, this is going to be good. 

The opening scene from Dead Space where you are walking slowly through the ship while mayhem is going on all around you thinking shitting hell, give me a gun or something, the tension was something else. 

What about you lot? 

Octopath Traveler - There's a bit in Primrose's story where she confronts her 'master' and he calls her a 'whore' and then says:

Spoiler

b56d77bf5d03b78b5b129ac4dd65bd8622744b6b

It got me Googling the age rating, seemed totally out of place. It was actually quite a powerful scene, though, and gave a real edge to the boss battle - especially when he started targeting that character and slapping her! It actually felt good to put the guy down and her dialogue was excellent.

• Upvote 2

The first chapter of Dead Space: Extraction.

It's already a really smart way to do a tutorial, first by showing you the ropes with the mining tools and then by having your colleagues go nuts and attack you. But then it pulls a neat twist at the end which lets you know to expect the unexpected from there on.

There's also another bit near the end of the game

Spoiler

involving amputation, and that moment when you realise what you have to do is kind of shocking.

• Upvote 1

Obvious ones but in the original Resident Evil, the breaking glass followed by the dogs still makes my heart race. The giant bloody snake, too. Jumpscare is a dirty word these days but I truly soiled myself back then. 

Missile in Ghost Trick. Specifically:

Spoiler

Missile becoming a second playable character around Chapter 14 of Ghost Trick.

I’m terrible when it comes to ruining things for myself, but I was completely in the dark here so it was a big surprise - a literal game-changer. :) 

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Maybe you should state the name of the game and then put in the bit that shocked you in a hidden box, like @Qazimodjust did

You mean rather than just blindly clicking on spoiler boxes with no idea what you might be spoiling for yourself? 

Nah, where's the fun in that :lol:

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Fletch said:

You mean rather than just blindly clicking on spoiler boxes with no idea what you might be spoiling for yourself? 

Nah, where's the fun in that :lol:

The original post and a few afterwards didn't contain any spoiler boxes, someone's changed that since

8 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

The original post and a few afterwards didn't contain any spoiler boxes, someone's changed that since

I know and I thought the same as you. I was just being silly. 

• Upvote 2

Red Dead Redemption 2

Sean having his head blown off. It happened so quickly and I'd just started warming to the character and then he was gone.

Resident Evil 4

The Regenerators. Just genuinely horrible and unexpected - the environment, the sfx, how you have to kill them.

The ending of Crackdown was a bit of a WTF?! 

Halfway through Strangers Wrath was great too :)

• Upvote 5

The bit in Assassin's Creed III where you play as Haytham Kenway and it's revealed

Spoiler

he's a templar

I said "Wait, what?" in sync with Desmond.

Also the bit on Dead Space Extraction where you have to 

Spoiler

cut off your own arm.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

The weird zombie alien things in Aliens: Colonial Marines.

The whole game shocked me - one of the truly worst games ever made given how solid the premise was. It really stank.

Assassins Creed glitches always make me LOL

I've rarely seen any proper glitches prior to the Xbox 360 era. I always remember falling through the map on one of the Assassins Creed games and I didn't know what to do for a while as I was stuck, looking upwards to a weird vista of legs and plants and sat there with my mouth open. Why is this happening? 

Assassins-Creed-Unity-face-glitch-3.jpg

I've played most of them and all of them are glitchy. 

Nothing beats Rockstar games though when the physics go wrong.

M0j72o.gif

Seeing the ‘real’ Mr House in Fallout: New Vegas.

An impossibly frail, withered body that was essentially a corpse, barely able to speak or move and kept alive for 200 years by technology. That a man would willingly subject himself to that, just to realise his vision, knocked me sideways. A strength of will as terrifying as it was inspiring.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Mainly characters dying in games.

Final Fantasy 7, Last of Us & both Red Dead games come to mind.

Spoilers!

• Upvote 1

MGS5. Despite knowing fully well that Kojima loves to pull these kinds of tricks I still didn't see that coming. 

No matter what you may think of his writing or the games themselves you have to commend the man for all the batshit crazy stunts he's pulled over the years. 

• Upvote 2

Load of bits in PT, which I finally played through last night. 

In particular 

Spoiler

The loop where the weird feotus thing talks. 

And that fucking swinging fridge man. Jesus. 

• Upvote 2

Great thread.

Can I please ask that you try and be mindful of others though and put spoilers behind spoiler tags.  There's an argument of course that perhaps this isn't so obviously required for a game that came out 21 years ago (nevertheless it's nice to err on the side of caution), but certainly for recent releases :) .

• Upvote 7

1 minute ago, gospvg said:

Sorry, I thought I did?

Kind of defeats the object of a spoiler if you don't let people know what you are spoiling before they open it ;)

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, VN1X said:

MGS5. Despite knowing fully well that Kojima loves to pull these kinds of things I still didn't see that coming. 

No matter what you may think of his writing or the games themselves you have to commend the man for all the batshit crazy stunts he's pulled over the years. 

Which makes me even more excited for Death Stranding, having now been given a free rein just imagine what he can come up with now! 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Bag said:

Persona 3

Reveal hidden contents

Shinjiro’s death

The ending

Persona 3

Spoiler

Ryoji’s massive plot dump from about 12/2 onwards where you learn the identity of the protagonist.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Kind of defeats the object of a spoiler if you don't let people know what you are spoiling before they open it ;)

Agree, apologies @deKay and anyone else who read my post.

Thanks, @sprite for editing it to add spoiler tags.

• Upvote 1