CovisGod

Bits in Games that genuinely shocked you (spoilers ahead)

It's been mentioned before but

Persona 3

Spoiler

The ending. Was bleak but touching at the same time but I didn't see it coming.

Persona 5

Spoiler

Akechi 'killing' the protaganist, and the realisation that they knew he was a bad 'un all along. The fact that the clue to it was there all along and I just missed it.

WoW, Wrath of the Lich King

Spoiler

The cutscene in Ice Crown when the armies face off against Arthas and the Forsaken launch their attack. Brilliant moment in the game

• Upvote 3

There's a bit in Xenosaga 1 where Albedo (an insane man with white hair)

Spoiler

rips his own arm off, then after regrowing it tears his own head off.

He does this in front of Momo, a little girl clone, in a room full of the corpses of other cloned little girls he's just killed.

A few people have mentioned it on the forum before, but there is another massive plot moment that perhaps gets overlooked in FFVII, and it's when Tifa helps Cloud piece together his memories in the Lifestream and we discover...

Spoiler

The person Cloud saw in his flashbacks was actually Zack - however, Cloud still knows of the events because he was there as one of the blue-suited Shinra guards!

It was such a smart move because you see those characters a lot throughout the game and don't really consider it. :D 

• Upvote 2

Edit: These are more disturbed than shocked, but ah well. :)

A few more now I'm on PC rather than phone:

Was ten or eleven when I played Chakan: The Forever Man on the Mega Drive. The art style and music lent themselves to a rather depressing and nihilistic atmosphere in itself, but it was the ending where (spoil tagged 'cause why not)

Having fulfilled his deal with Death by eliminating all supernatural evil in the world, Chakan can finally die and rest in peace. He stands on a mountaintop, stabs himself in the stomach with his sword... only for it to cut to Death looking at the night sky, basically saying that there are countless worlds out there, all with evils that Chakan hasn't yet vanquished and, with no way of getting to them, will never do so. Cut back to the mountaintop as Chakan screams in despair. Then cut back to gameplay where you're abruptly attacked by a giant giger-esque demon amalgam in a sedan chair carried by imps. Win or lose, it then cuts to a close up of an hourglass that never runs out, and stays there until you reset the console.

Chilling stuff. Was far too young and naive for something so nihilistically oppressive.

Shorter ones:

The bug in Ecco the Dolphin where, if you were eaten by the Vortex Queen, you became a soundless black silhouette and couldn't interact with anything. Creepy.

The intro to Fantasia, also on the Mega Drive. I was only around seven and hadn't seen the movie, but the intro had a rather empty and abrasive adaptation of Toccata And Fugue In D Minor as Mickey (I assume) fell asleep and entered the dream world... except it looks like he passes away in his sleep and his ghost flies away. :lol: Didn't distress tiny me or anything, though I detected something didn't feel right and have thought about it a good few times since. I was much less disturbed by Mortal Kombat, which I got at the same time. :lol: 

The first zombie in Resident Evil. And I don't care how hammy the soundtrack might seem now, it creeped me right out. :)

The dog scene in Snatcher.

This is a daft little one, but the way the big fish can just swallow Mario in a split second with no fanfare or cartoony animation in Super Mario Bros. 3.

I've not yet gotten around to playing my copy of Breath of Fire IV, but I read a detailed account of the story some years ago and that sounds like a veritable ultra combo of shocking and disturbing moments.

• Upvote 3

Aerith’s death left me more puzzled than sad. But...

The death of

Spoiler

Popoi

(re-named Bilko for my playthrough) in Secret of Mana.

and

The death of 

Spoiler

Isara 

In Valkyrie Chronicles.

Both had me welling up.

Mass Effect 3

There's a segment where you get to choose between helping one race defeat a navy of sentient robots or help the robots (who've been their slaves all their "lives"). In the blurb it mentions a robot navy would be very helpful in your fight with the "big bad" however one of your crew is the race the robots are fighting.

I thought I'd just take a rep hit my crew mate but after helping the robots I'm treated to an emotional scene where she goes and throws herself over a waterfall, unable to take my betrayal. 

The scene itself wasn't a shock just the whole 0 to 100 reaction, I was quite gutted :(

Sorry for been forgetful with the names, it was a while since I played it but that bit has stuck with me.

• Upvote 1