Sign in to follow this  
Goose

Polar (Netflix Film) - Mads Mikkelsen

My mate wrote it :) Tonally I found the difference between the Mads bits and the 'jacked-up action/colours/dialogue' of the hitmen jarring and Matt Lucas was miscast.

Nice to see

Spoiler

Richard Dreyfus

appear for a cameo

• Upvote 1

It’s basically a teenage boys ideal film. The violence seems to be nasty just for the sake of it. None of it makes any sense. The sex and nudity is there only to titilate. If they’d dialled it all down a bit then they may have had something interesting but as it is it’s just all so witless. 

• Upvote 3

The fact it was all so witless is really something in it’s favour, and a big part of why I enjoyed it. And I liked it for all the reasons @Barrow48 listed as negatives. Once again, this is why it’s such a better movie than John Wick. It’s actually good, sleazy fun as well as nonsensical.

I dread to think what kind of ponderous nothing it would have been if they’d ‘dialled it down’. Hopefully in the next one it will get dialled up across the board.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I thought this was utterly brilliant. A mixture of MGS, John Wick and, weirdly, the movie version of Elektra.

Also, the naughtiest sex scene I have seen in a film in years!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 27/01/2019 at 22:09, ZOK said:

I loved this! It's certainly all over the place tonally as has been observed, but I found that a point in its favour, rather than a negative. And I also thought Matt Lucas was another plus, his ridiculous performance suited the film to a tee.

A terrific bloody romp, and certainly much more my flavour than John Wick, which didn't really have much going for it in my eyes beyond the great nightclub shootout. They are both similar flicks in that they are dumb hit man films, but this has got more than a few sparks of lively imagination helping its cause, as opposed to JW’s overall dull and predictable tread. The film could have done with losing twenty minutes or so, but it never really outstayed its welcome for me.

Urrrgh what? John Wick shits all over this. 

The trailer really made it look like a completely different film.  From watching that I was expecting something more in the John Wick style. Something a little more serious. This is like a 15 years olds wet dream, its pathetic.

The film can't decide what it wants to be at all, it's all over the place.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

The trailer really made it look like a completely different film.  From watching that I was expecting something more in the John Wick style. Something a little more serious. This is like a 15 years olds wet dream, its pathetic.

I felt embarrassed for everyone involved when watching it. They'll have had to go to press junkets n shit. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

I felt embarrassed for everyone involved when watching it. They'll have had to go to press junkets n shit. 

I just don't get it. I watched the trailer and thought, yeah that looks pretty great and then the film is nothing like it at all.

Also it just didn't need all the gratuitous violence or sex either. John Wick shows you can do violence with style. This film reminds me of an R rated XXX, it wouldn't have looked out of place in the early 2000, but these days I'd expect better.

The glove laser pointers were pretty cool though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

John Wick doesn’t ‘shit all over this’ - it’s the other way round, naturally.

As an aside, it’s really quite laughable by the way that anyone would consider JW either a ‘serious’ or ‘stylish’ film, by the way - unless, ironically considering your comments, they are actually a teenage boy. It’s just a load of hackneyed old parp, with one good scene in the entire movie.

At least the people who made Polar realised they were making delicious trash - I think whoever made John Wick actually took ithe whole thing seriously, which makes the resulting childish plod even more embarrassing for all concerned.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

The glove laser pointers were pretty cool though.

Amazing! You actually picked out the worst bit in the film! :lol:

• Upvote 2

I don't understand the calls for this to be more tonally consistent, or dialed down a bit. It only works on its sleazy, trashy excess.

It wants you to feel uncomfortable by having a boner whilst seeing some nasty violence. It purposely enforces the male gaze then immediately holds up the mirror of the inherent damage that can do to women. It wants you to get hyped up for some over the top violence and then takes it to an extreme and asks you 'is this what you want?'. It wants you cheer on the cool hitman, then holds up the damage that brutal murder does to all the people involved.

The film wants you to feel grubby and it's proud to be trash.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, MechE said:

I don't understand the calls for this to be more tonally consistent, or dialed down a bit. It only works on its sleazy, trashy excess.

It wants you to feel uncomfortable by having a boner whilst seeing some nasty violence. It purposely enforces the male gaze then immediately holds up the mirror of the inherent damage that can do to women. It wants you to get hyped up for some over the top violence and then takes it to an extreme and asks you 'is this what you want?'. It wants you cheer on the cool hitman, then holds up the damage that brutal murder does to all the people involved.

That's not true at all, this could easily have worked if it was more serious. It's only like it is because that's how they decided to shoot and edit it. Take out all the shit and make something dialled down and serious and it's be all the better for it. As I've said, compare the trailer to the finish product, they look like two completely different films.

Stop embarassing yourself @ZOK

Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t you the guy who thinks John Wick is a serious, stylish film? 

You really shouldn’t worry about me. :sherlock:

48 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t you the guy who thinks John Wick is a serious, stylish film? 

You really shouldn’t worry about me. :sherlock:

Compared to this it's fucking Citizen Kane.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Nope, I just know its a vastly superior film and you clearly have zero taste in films.

Alright then! :lol:

Ah, the over use of the laughing emoji, I see what I'm dealing with here. Anyway keep enjoying your terrible films buddy.

Don’t cry! :sealclap:

• Downvote 6

7 hours ago, MechE said:

Or y'know, the film makers were all on adderall.

• Upvote 3

Man, this is pretty good. A lot of fun and not too much fat, just straight into the good bits. The young Assassins feel like very hatable comic book characters, Mads is great. I really liked Vivian as well - another brilliant comic book character.

Matt Lucas stinks the whole place up - even the sets around him and characters who don't otherwise feel chintzy do in his presence. I feel like they would have got something ridiculous from Lucas had he played it straight, instead he's trying to ham it up and has gone so far beyond what they needed it feels more gaudy and ridiculous than a Little Britain sketch.

Some of the humour early on is excellent as well.

• Upvote 1