Sign in to follow this  
neoELITE

Bird Box (Netflix Film) - Sandra Bullock

Well I really enjoyed this, never heard of the book but it was a tense movie with some satisfyingly gruesome moments. Yeah the ending was silly but Sandra Bullock was so good it made up for it.

• Upvote 2

Two people at work excitedly exclaimed they absolutely loved this movie and thought it was fantastic

I laughed out loud.

I am now a film snob. 

Yay. 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

52 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Two people at work excitedly exclaimed they absolutely loved this movie and thought it was fantastic

I laughed out loud.

I am now a film snob. 

Yay. 

Only now?

Quite liked this actually, rather, it beat my expectations, and I preferred it to A Quiet Place.

Wouldn't have liked it as much if I read the books beforehand, or knew anything about the story though I reckon; going in cold really helped.

Ending was a letdown though.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, gospvg said:

Bird Box has become Netflix’s most-watched film in its first seven days, with more than 45 million Netflix accounts streaming the movie.

http://vodzilla.co/blog/vod-news/bird-box-breaks-netflix-records-for-first-week-viewings/

It's really weird, I went home for Christmas and my whole family had seen it and were talking about it, and there are memes about it on the internet everywhere. I feel like the last thing on Netflix that blew up like this was Stranger Things.

It's just weird that it's this movie particularly. It's your average 'ok for Netflix but not good enough for the cinema' movie. The power of sticking a movie with a Hollywood star on the front page of everyone's accounts when everyone has a lot of free time over Christmas and is looking for something to watch I guess.

• Upvote 3

Netflix advertising is everywhere in the US generally, and this movie being a major project for them would have seen a big share of that buy.

I suspect the WoM that the US media buying generated, filtered over here via the net and memes etc., given comparatively less advertising over here (partly as media buying is more pricey in the UK).

57 minutes ago, Majora said:

It's really weird, I went home for Christmas and my whole family had seen it and were talking about it, and there are memes about it on the internet everywhere. I feel like the last thing on Netflix that blew up like this was Stranger Things.

It's just weird that it's this movie particularly. It's your average 'ok for Netflix but not good enough for the cinema' movie. The power of sticking a movie with a Hollywood star on the front page of everyone's accounts when everyone has a lot of free time over Christmas and is looking for something to watch I guess.

I'm not sure how Hollywood are not quite grasping that high concept horror is absolutely going through a renaissance right now and the audience can't get enough. 

I’m susprised at all the negativity in this thread - I really liked it. John Malkovich is hilarious and superb throughout. The unfolding terror and dread early on was so well done.

I’ve no intention of reading the book so I have nothing to compare it to.

• Upvote 8

I just couldn’t suspend my disbelief at how easily they achieved things with blindfolds on.

What were the birds actually for? If they’d been successfully frozen I can’t see how anything would have turned out different.

5 years is a long time to get used to wearing a blindfold, it's not that hard to believe.

I really enjoyed it, thought it was going to be another 'The Happening' but thankfully not.

12 hours ago, morcs said:

I just couldn’t suspend my disbelief at how easily they achieved things with blindfolds on.

What were the birds actually for? If they’d been successfully frozen I can’t see how anything would have turned out different.

The bird were used as a detection mechinism, I thought that was pretty obvious.

It thought it was ok, and was worried it was going to be like the Happening at first with the suicides. Thankfully it was much better. 

I wonder though, do you reckon people could just look down out the bottom of their blindfolds? And then adjust when the beings turned up. The birds and change in the winds always gave it away when they were about.

That’s what I mean, why have the bird detection mechanism if they have to stay blindfold all the time anyway? It’d make sense if they only pulled the blindfolds down when the birds went off.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

I wonder though, do you reckon people could just look down out the bottom of their blindfolds? And then adjust when the beings turned up. The birds and change in the winds always gave it away when they were about.

The gritty Knightmare reboot.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, morcs said:

That’s what I mean, why have the bird detection mechanism if they have to stay blindfold all the time anyway? It’d make sense if they only pulled the blindfolds down when the birds went off.

It's a lot more apparent in the book.

On 29/12/2018 at 23:17, gospvg said:

Bird Box has become Netflix’s most-watched film in its first seven days, with more than 45 million Netflix accounts streaming the movie.

http://vodzilla.co/blog/vod-news/bird-box-breaks-netflix-records-for-first-week-viewings/

I’m really surprised at all the negativity in this thread, I just finished watching it after all the hype I’ve been hearing on Facebook from friends.

i hate horror movies but Sandra bullock these days is a surefire hit maker and loved it.

if anything, all the changes from the book mentioned here seem for the better apart from the flashback style.

if anything, the book sounds shit.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, morcs said:

The birds could also detect who were the crazy people.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, probotector said:

I’m really surprised at all the negativity in this thread, I just finished watching it after all the hype I’ve been hearing on Facebook from friends.

i hate horror movies but Sandra bullock these days is a surefire hit maker and loved it.

if anything, all the changes from the book mentioned here seem for the better apart from the flashback style.

if anything, the book sounds shit.

The flashback style is a core component of the book.

Spoiler

The two guys that take off in the car from the house, what happened to them? Are they in the book? 

Spoiler

How did Mallory and Tom make it to the jungle from the streets in the first place?

I thought it was very poor with numerous plot holes and a hugely unsatisfactory ending. I did enjoy Bullock’s acting though. 

Spoiler

I don't recall the other two being in the book, certainly the whole supermarket scene before that plays out differently.

In terms of the Jungle, they were just within walking distance of the house, but it did a terrible job of conveying any of the geography at all. 

• Upvote 1

I haven't double checked this but in the book 

They have a radio and there is a radio presenter who informs them of a lot of the stuff that is happening over the radio - in the film, it's the nerdy black fella who works at the supermarket who starts spouting off conspiracy theories that explains everything.

Gary stays for a lot longer and he doesn't pull all the curtains down - I am sure it's the John Malkovich character who does that.

They do go out in a car but they don't have the sensors to drive with or GPS.

Mallory has no love interest from what I can remember.

A lot of people I've spoken to recently have watched it and loved it. It wasn't terrible but the book is a lot richer, less "action movie" and explains little about the creatures. The creatures are silent in the book (I think) and the noise of the birds in the box are what alerts the people. Making these creatures create wind and make a noise basically negates the birds which was a weird decision considering the film is called Bird Box.

• Upvote 1

I enjoyed the movie , certainly nothing too amazing but it was an entertaining couple of hours.

It started off great and kinda went down hill - part of me wanted a different ending to what we got.

To be honest the birds played such a small part if the movie it seemed a bit ridiculous to name the movie after them ( and the box of course).

• Upvote 1

I know I'm a lone voice in the wilderness but I absolutely loved The Happening, an unashamedly brilliant modern pastiche of the classic B movie. And all the more creepy and unsettling for it.

So I prepared myself not to enjoy Bird Box, but actually it was rather good. I never felt on edge or disturbed by it but there were some great moments. As soon as Charlie got in the car with his red waistcoat I immediately thought of Star-Trek and the guys in the red uniforms beaming down to the planets as cannon fodder. I hope it was a geeky reference but I'm probably reading too much into it.

• Upvote 1

Watched this last night, started strongly and then got quite silly but I suspended my disbelief and was maybe thinking a 6/7 out of 10. Then the ending happened. 4/10.

• Upvote 1

I’m sure the trailer either showed or heavily suggested that 

Spoiler

she and the kids were rowing blindfolded towards a waterfalll

but may have been my Christmas brain malfunctioning. Was waiting for that bit through the whole movie.

On 27/12/2018 at 15:36, Moz said:

It was like The Mist for babies.

Exactly my sentimonies. Thought it was crap. Also, The Mist was shite too. 

Spoiler

I laughed at the end, when they all shot themselves. Don’t think that was the intended response. It was the perfectly dumb ending to a perfectly dumb movie. 

massive fucking spoilers

Edited by VN1X
  • Downvote 7