rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Wickedkitten

Jordan Peele's 'Us'

Listening to an Us special and Kermode just made a great point about what the underworld tunnels are.

Spoiler

We've been told and thinking it's a government experiment, but how can we know that's true. Adelaide made all that up. How could she know what it is when she was left down there as a child with a bunch of people that dont talk. She just made up a story, like a fairytale ("there was a girl") about what the tunnels and tethered are. That's why Peele said its up to interpretation and why I saw it as something completely different than an experiment.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

Listening to an Us special and Kermode just made a great point about what the underworld tunnels are.

Hide contents

We've been told and thinking it's a government experiment, but how can we know that's true. Adelaide made all that up. How could she know what it is when she was left down there as a child with a bunch of people that dont talk. She just made up a story, like a fairytale ("there was a girl") about what the tunnels and tethered are. That's why Peele said its up to interpretation and why I saw it as something completely different than an experiment.

Yeah, that’s a really good point Kermode made. I love the fact that it’s left with a level of ambiguity.

• Upvote 1

I am not a big horror film fan. The Mrs is. She could see me stifling yawns up to the drive way scene and was worried she'd sold me a turkey. But from that scene on I was into it. I really enjoyed it. I laughed and I loved the music and thought it was just a well told film that left it open for the viewer to interpret different rationales for the underground dwellers. The Mrs saw the twist coming, I didn't at all. Yeah, one of the better horror movies I've seen since the original Poltergeist!

• Upvote 1

On 24/03/2019 at 10:01, BadgerFarmer said:

I thought this was excellent. Even more so than Get Out, which I also really liked. It's a similar theme basically, but there's just so much more here in terms of the satire and allegory. The ending, whether predictable or not, had to be what it was. It was the perfect way to tie the whole idea together.

Just came back from this tonight and echo everything above. Absolutely fantastic movie with some truly wonderful imagery.

It was made all the more enjoyable by watching other couples leave (presumably because they found it too creepy or were just baffled by it).

I can't wait to see what Jordan Peele does next.

• Upvote 4

I thought it was just ok to be honest. Some of it was reasonably effective but a lot of it just struck me as silly. I'm not even just talking about whether the third act denouement hung together logically or not; I felt like for everything that worked throughout the course of the movie, there were two things that didn't.

I got the majority of the points it was making about class while watching it but it didn't really enhance my opinion of the movie. It was running on fumes towards the end, there was barely any tension (it became obvious long before the end that the family were all wearing plot armour) and the twist was just...well, it was a twist I guess.

The exposition in the third act was so plodding and overdone. I'm pretty sure he did the exact same thing in Get Out by laboriously explaining everything in excruciating detail in the third act. Get Out was much better overall but it's an area he really needs to work on.

The best thing in the whole movie was

how the white family were complacent about the danger and then capitulated almost immediately without even putting up a fight. Like, there's an actual point there, sharply and humourously portrayed, with no plodding overwrought explanations or silliness

I felt like it tried really hard, probably too hard, in places and in others not hard enough. I don't think I would watch it again.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Majora said:

I thought it was just ok to be honest. Some of it was reasonably effective but a lot of it just struck me as silly. I'm not even just talking about whether the third act denouement hung together logically or not; I felt like for everything that worked throughout the course of the movie, there were two things that didn't.

I got the majority of the points it was making about class while watching it but it didn't really enhance my opinion of the movie. It was running on fumes towards the end, there was barely any tension (it became obvious long before the end that the family were all wearing plot armour) and the twist was just...well, it was a twist I guess.

The exposition in the third act was so plodding and overdone. I'm pretty sure he did the exact same thing in Get Out by laboriously explaining everything in excruciating detail in the third act. Get Out was much better overall but it's an area he really needs to work on.

The best thing in the whole movie was

Hide contents

how the white family were complacent about the danger and then capitulated almost immediately without even putting up a fight. Like, there's an actual point there, sharply and humourously portrayed, with no plodding overwrought explanations or silliness

I felt like it tried really hard, probably too hard, in places and in others not hard enough. I don't think I would watch it again.

I think once the spotlight fades we're all just going to have to admit that this was awful. After the spectacular Get Out it was a real fall from grace.

But it made bank so Hollywood won't work that out.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7
  • Empathy 2

1 hour ago, kerraig UK said:

I think once the spotlight fades we're all just going to have to admit that this was awful. After the spectacular Get Out it was a real fall from grace.

I was surprised you seemed to enjoy it more at the time, I just thought it was a total mess

1 hour ago, kerraig UK said:

I think you're wrong but horses for courses. Get Out was a one in a million debut and it's unfair to judge this by that film. But regardless I still think this is a good film, its far from awful. I feel you're just a very tough judge and your back catalogue of watched films makes it hard to enjoy simpler things. 

11 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

I think you're wrong but horses for courses. Get Out was a one in a million debut and it's unfair to judge this by that film. But regardless I still think this is a good film, its far from awful. I feel you're just a very tough judge and your back catalogue of watched films makes it hard to enjoy simpler things. 

Yeah i think thats fair. Awful is probably too strong a word. Average.

• Downvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Enjoyed this for most of the running time, but felt it kind of fell apart towards the end (not an uncommon sentiment it seems). I've been trying to think why the last third didn’t work for me because I'm not opposed to the plot developments in principle. I think for me Peele's directing style didn’t work for certain bits, as it progressed what it really needed was a hefty dose of David Lynch, where you're just carried along on the strength of his ability to channel dream/nightmare logic. I feel the direction in this was a bit too meat and potatoes to pull that off. 

I enjoyed this despite it not making much in the way of sense.

Like how a girl whose education and language skills stopped at the age of 9-ish was able to arrange a mass revolution among millions of people who had

never had any education and had no language skills whatsoever. Not only that but she also managed to install an insatiable bloodlust in them and make them all homicidal maniacs.

Ludicrousness aside it was another hugely enjoyable and original effort from Peele.

Watched it last night (on a physical blue ray disc that I purchased with money), it's pretty good. I've enjoyed the creativeness of Peele's two films so far, they really stand out against your typical horror movie. What I don' like about them, and this is a big part of why I feel they are so popular, is that there is this really forced attempt at creating 'relatiable and everyday' people like you and me. This does result in some great moments (HomeAlone) but in general it feels like characters in a Tesco advert stuck in a horror movie.

The first half is the stronger one, in the second half the really interesting concept starts to get rough around the edges as they have to explain it more and more. 

I enjoyed it though.

2/5   (goes in at no5 of 7 movies I've watched this year)

https://letterboxd.com/caponeadam/list/watched-in-2019-charts/

Anyway, I enjoyed this a lot, maybe more than Get Out.

Spoiler

Oh, and I never saw the twist coming. Mainly because I didn't think there would be a twist. I noticed the clues where Lupita acts like her evil doppelgänger, but I think I was looking for something a little bit deeper. That all these people living underground, oppressed and out of sight, are no different to the people on the surface. Literally in this case. It still wasn't bad though, and even with the twist, you can still read that into it.

Lupita's doppelgänger voice was crazy as well. She's pretty amazing overall.

Did I have a big satisfied grin on my face as that Minnie Riperton track kicked in at the end? Yup. It was two hours well spent.

• Upvote 3

On 28/03/2019 at 01:46, kerraig UK said:

If you haven't seen it, please if you liked this or Get Out, go watch SOCIETY

don't google it cos you'll get spoilers. But it is the daddy of these films and is better that both (although very dated)

Stepford wives and Invasion of the body snatchers being the grandparents

A bit of a bump as Society is on the Horror Channel at 00:40 (technically tomorrow). 

Edit: ignore me. Someone tagged me too late on Facebook and I missed it by a day. Gutted. 

• Upvote 1