IGNORED

Hades - coming to Xbox and PlayStation Aug 13th!

robdood

1 hour ago, tobert said:

Don't worry it probably took me a similar amount of run and I still get beaten by her now after besting her maybe 2 or 3 times.

I get the impression it a game which you go through many phases on. At this point I am not really bothering with progression, its all about working towards unlocks, messing with the weapons and enjoying the story. If its like returnal, I will end up enjoying the intricate mechanics and creating crazy builds

Yes I’m not too fussed about bashing through it as the core gameplay and story are so much fun.  Just got to the Hydra and got it down to half health! 

Beat Hades. 30th attempt. 

Game is amazing but I'm not sure how much longer I will play it, I certainly won't be putting in the hours like I have the last couple days. Will keep it on quick resume for a quick blast whenever I fancy a wee run. 

Beat another run, straight after my first. Went with the bow and ended up with a very strange build, with Demeter’s cast and made pretty short work of the final boss. 

Knocked about 15 mins off my time, but I think that’s most because I only had to do 2 paths in world 4, rather than 5. 

iKHKiZa.jpg

Loving it. 

Don’t think I’ve ever made it out of Asphodel with the Stygian Blade but it was buffed, so hoping to go the distance with it this time. 

Amazing run this evening. I stacked a couple of boons on my spear’s special, and pommed it a couple of times to level it up, and was dealing 150-200 damage on critical hits. Breezed past Megaera and got the second boss down to under half health. Pretty pleased with that. 

9 hours ago, sammy said:

Threads like this always remind me how shit I am at games.  16 runs and only just beat Meg, although did it twice in a row, so definitely making progress.  Shield seems to be working best for me so far.  Incredible game, it just oozes quality.

Dude, just look up my posts in here. Nobody is going to be worse than me.

5 hours ago, TehStu said:

I'm finding the story really interesting, makes me wonder if I should pick up some books on this stuff.

If you can find a copy, my favourite retelling is 'The God Beneath the Sea' by Edmund Blishen and Leon Garfield.

Otherwise, Robert Graves' epic 2-volume work is much more readily available. I picked a Folio Society edition up at the weekend from a charity shop for a fiver...

3 hours ago, Nate Dogg III said:

I am also still learning things!

I had never taken the rail’s Rocket Bomb hammer (turns the mortar into a rocket that does 80 base damage) after taking Cluster Bomb (special fires five rounds at once, but each does less damage) because I had for some reason inferred that Rocket would override Cluster, and I’d only fire one round at a time.

It turns out I was very, very wrong. It effectively leaves you with a shotgun that fires RPG rounds. Dash into enemy’s face, press one button, 680 damage. 

Got to the last boss with all DDs left, thinking I probably didn’t even need to try and dodge any attacks because I could easily outdamage whatever it threw at me. Didn’t quite have the minerals to commit to that but the fight was over inside two minutes. 

D3EBEB8A-964B-4F08-BCD1-3F97E0457BE3.png

Just did this, but with Divine Dash and chain lightning on attack. Utterly ridiculous build with things just blowing up left, right, centre.

Escaped on my 21st run, spear with triple hit upgrade, Demeter's cast, weak on attack, Aphrodite's call and 4 revives.

The charm taken off it slightly by the run before having a better load out that crashed a few seconds into the fight and made me start over.

9 hours ago, TehStu said:

I'm finding the story really interesting, makes me wonder if I should pick up some books on this stuff.

In addition to the Robert Graves tome already mentioned, I really enjoyed the Stephen Fry book Mythos, which is a retelling of Greek myths. More accessible than the Graves book for sure, and a good read. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B071CN6W7T/

8 hours ago, footle said:

I do, but it doesn’t seem to have unlocked after six clears and points in everything.

Only done like 9 runs on the Xbox version and I can switch them so Christ knows what the condition is. It could be when Nyx tells you she's unlocked more things at the mirror.

10 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Only done like 9 runs on the Xbox version and I can switch them so Christ knows what the condition is. It could be when Nyx tells you she's unlocked more things at the mirror.

Yeah. Apparently it might be talk to Nyx with a load of darkness banked. It is possible, though unlikely, that I’ve not done that.

6 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

In addition to the Robert Graves tome already mentioned, I really enjoyed the Stephen Fry book Mythos, which is a retelling of Greek myths. More accessible than the Graves book for sure, and a good read. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B071CN6W7T/

The Stephen Fry book is also available on Audible. I downloaded it when I played Hades on the Switch. It really sparked an interest in me to find out more too :) 

Second time through I'm really appreciating how clever they've been with progression. Not just in how everything seems to be constantly moving forward with every run (though it is!) but in how much control you have over it. Re-speccing is normally pretty expensive in games like this, but you can reset the mirror for a single key — which means you can happily pump darkness into the early upgrades, then re-spec at will later on once you've got more of the mirror unlocked. The vendor in the lounge lets you trade materials you don't need yet for those you need now — and later on, when those categories switch around, you do the reverse. Obviously you need to know a bit about the game to get the most out of it (I know from experience that I won't need Ambrosia for ages, but need Titan Blood now) but the more you understand about how upgrade progression works, the more you appreciate how user-friendly they've made the whole thing.

On the downside there are a lot of builds I automatically went for on PC after 60 hours that just aren't workable until much later in the game, because you need certain mirror upgrades (particularly thinking of Duo chance and Privileged Status) that need a pretty big investment to fully unlock. I tried my trusty Demeter/Zeus shield setup last night but didn't get any of the pieces the build really needs to shine, and just felt like I was throwing a limp frisbee around.  

Is there a way of telling what you need to do to get the last Fated Choice for each Olympian God? I've got a few of them but I can't figure out if there's specific things that need picking first.

There's a ton of stuff I've not discovered yet so am hesitant to look up a guide in case it spoils a load of other stuff...

Another clear using the sword this time. It gave me an insane build and I didn't lose any lifes. Killed the end boss with plenty of health left too. 

I said I would stop playing. But I can't! 

For people who have fully completed the game 

Spoiler

To get the real ending do you just need to keep clearing? If so how many times? 

I basically pumped over 120 hours into this in the end, so it's nice seeing people starting their journey with it. My consistent run winning weapon ended up being

Spoiler

The basic fists full upgraded, along with the mirror ability that raises your dodge chance I think. Pretty much got me through no matter what, as it just becomes about rhythm - you hold the attack button and press dodge as well at times to dodge and also keep the combo going without the last auto attack coming out. It also works because your auto dodge chance is also raised while attacking.

8 minutes ago, strawdonkey said:

Is there a way of telling what you need to do to get the last Fated Choice for each Olympian God? I've got a few of them but I can't figure out if there's specific things that need picking first.

There's a ton of stuff I've not discovered yet so am hesitant to look up a guide in case it spoils a load of other stuff...

Is there a prophecy for them? Check the scroll in your room. 

Have played a few runs for the first time so excuse the total noob questions, ive just unlocked the shield. 

I've picked up various power ups (boons?) are they all applying on top of each other or do I have to modify / set them up somewhere?  Im just picking what sounds nice at the time.

Are the rooms i go into with different symbols (red trident etc) mean anything in particular?

Do I need to smash barrels / towers to get stuff (my RSI hopes not) 

4 minutes ago, fattakin said:

Have played a few runs for the first time so excuse the total noob questions, ive just unlocked the shield. 

I've picked up various power ups (boons?) are they all applying on top of each other or do I have to modify / set them up somewhere?  Im just picking what sounds nice at the time.

Are the rooms i go into with different symbols (red trident etc) mean anything in particular?

Do I need to smash barrels / towers to get stuff (my RSI hopes not) 

I am also a fellow noob, so what I have gleaned is that yes they all stack on top of one another, the different symbols are different symbols of gods (wing is Hermes, bolt is Zeus and so on), and no smashing barrels seems to do fuck all unless you unlock a thing from the builder ghost (which I haven’t done).

I enjoyed my time playing this last night but I can’t shake the niggling feeling that any win run is just going to be based on RNG on getting the good shit rather than my skill. Please tell me why I am wrong?

30 minutes ago, Ry said:

Another clear using the sword this time. It gave me an insane build and I didn't lose any lifes. Killed the end boss with plenty of health left too. 

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I think its 10 clears before the credits finally roll - more than worth it to 'properly' finish the story

36 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Why did no one tell me that I can make the gun have unlimited ammo and pump weak and lightning shots as much as I like into enemies. 

Just made it to Styx with it for the first time. 

Stuff like this is far cooler to find out for yourself :) It's one of the things I like about this game, during my first 50, or so, runs it kept throwing curveballs at me and mixed things up enough to make the game stay fresh for another 50 runs. 

40 minutes ago, Ry said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I think it’s 7 times to get the true ending 

I just started this last night too and am really enjoying the setting, the OTT voice acting and narrative, the combat is great and there seems to be literally endless build options and lots of lovely collectibles. The only major flaw that I can see with it is that I'm UTTERLY FUCKING SHIT at it. 

I picked up what I though were some powerful boons, had +25 health and the revive thingy and got completely melted at every attempt with Meg. Feels like I should be learning patterns and stuff but it's pretty chaotic in there. At first, I felt like @tnman in that it's a bit too RNG to what you might get to enable you progress but as I started to unlock gifts and things, there seems to be a clear upgrade path and you're meant to die a fair few times to get there.

I'm a complete roguelike(lite? hike? bike? whatever, I don't fucking know) noob and I'm not convinced they're my thing. I guess I'm pretty traditional in my game progression tastes but I'm doing my best to try new stuff this year so I'm going to keep at it. 

edit - and oh yeah, whoever said this was pretentious was off their nut. It's preposterously tongue-in-cheek and deliberately overwrought. There's a New Yoik cab driver NPC in a game about the son of Greek God trying to escape the underworld.