Hades - coming to Xbox and PlayStation Aug 13th!

robdood

I've only escaped once so far but the time I did I happened to get boons that made me in a massive blast damage dodge monster. Weirdly, it was with the bow, which until that run I would have said was the weapon I was weakest with. That and all the death defiances charged up meant you can probably cheese the final boss to some extent.

I think my problem had been getting wrecked in the arena style rooms of the final level - but when you can dodge 5 times and every time you leave a blade rift behind you (add in random explosion effects) then for those rooms you just dodge a few times and its all over. You can get well tooled up for the final boss that way.

(Damn, I want to play it again right now!)

It's been a while since I played this, so the following method may have been nerfed a bit, but if you want a method of killing the big boss that is relatively easy...

Spoiler

Get the crystal beam boon and then upgrade them to increase the number of turrets and/or their tracking speed. Then just spend your time avoiding stuff while the beams do their thing - if you pick up the double dash or player speed increases this makes the avoiding part easier. Trick is to keep moving and focus on avoiding the huge heat beam attacks (use cover for that).

Theory works for most other bosses too.

On 15/06/2021 at 09:41, SozzlyJoe said:

I think my problem had been getting wrecked in the arena style rooms of the final level

Yeah, I have been close to finishing recently, and it's pretty much all down to losing a life regen or two in the final rooms. If I had had one more in the last run, I would have been outta there.

Yaaaaassssssssss! Run 205 and this!

Spoiler

HadesOut.thumb.jpg.3eecc9e00ffd9388f5f7f340f6bca09a.jpg

Due to my favourite weapon - the hidden aspect of the Stygian Blade:

HadesFinally.thumb.jpg.2bec9b5c826adaf3b7d10ba71e775eea.jpg

Thought I'd get to complete all of the prophecies. But no, I got two new ones.

Spoiler

HadesProphecies.thumb.jpg.3c521ea740e9ef42e3ff310ad7c62297.jpg

Yes, that's a list with 43 completed prophecies, 2 more just added. I apparently have slain 45,523 foes along the way, too.

That must be some kind of record, but all the sweeter for the wait. Congratulations and welcome to the...

Spoiler

not on quite as bad terms with your dad club 😄

(I can't even remember if that needs spoilering!)

22 hours ago, smac said:

Yaaaaassssssssss! Run 205 and this!

Reveal hidden contents

HadesOut.thumb.jpg.3eecc9e00ffd9388f5f7f340f6bca09a.jpg

Due to my favourite weapon - the hidden aspect of the Stygian Blade:

HadesFinally.thumb.jpg.2bec9b5c826adaf3b7d10ba71e775eea.jpg

Thought I'd get to complete all of the prophecies. But no, I got two new ones.

Reveal hidden contents

HadesProphecies.thumb.jpg.3c521ea740e9ef42e3ff310ad7c62297.jpg

Yes, that's a list with 43 completed prophecies, 2 more just added. I apparently have slain 45,523 foes along the way, too.

Well, blow me down. Escaped on the very next run, too! Nada for 204 runs, then two escapes in a row. Typical.

10 hours ago, Omizzay said:

Just picked this up in the Switch sale, and only had 6 runs so far.  But you can already tell that this is going to be something quite special!

Just about to do the same. Looking forward to this.

Ah, wait - now it showers me with Titan's blood, diamonds and Ambrosia, because I escaped once?

So all of that grinding to get gems to turn into keys to turn into diamonds to turn into Ambrosia to turn into Titans blood to open up new Aspects (or to leave as diamonds to pay off certain contracts for my friends) was a bit of a waste?

Yeah, I can see that. I'm getting more new prophecies dumped on me each run, too.

What's that, Chaos? It would be a jolly jape to 

Spoiler

take that egg you gave me with me when I next beat up my dad? Well, OK, if you say so, but it seems a bit ... weird. But then, so do you!

On 17/06/2021 at 03:34, Omizzay said:

Just picked this up in the Switch sale, and only had 6 runs so far.  But you can already tell that this is going to be something quite special!

My daughter explained the concept to me and, honestly, it didn't sound like my cup of tea at all. But she sat me down in front of it and I just couldn't stop playing. To the extent that I installed Dead Cells (thanks to the shout out from the Mental Health Gaming podcast chaps @bradigor and @Treble) and rinsed it until I just hit my skill cap. 

Admittedly, I didn't get around to fetching Hades on the Switch but stoked it's getting a Game Pass release. I think the artwork is more sort of digital, but just as a general point, I think 4k is one area where painted games can shine. Like when you see a Studio Ghibli blu ray for the first time and realize after all these years of DVDs, you've been missing all the stunning brush strokes on the backgrounds, etc.

How does this run on the Switch then? Had it on my radar due to the praise, and indie roguelikes are sort of my thing in portable mode as they are great for long journeys. Then the Xbox version got announced which I'll get for "free", presumably with quicker loading and a higher frame rate. 

So this now leads to the Sophie's Choice of pay £15 for a game I can get for nothing in a month or so, and which will likely run better there, but with no portability. Why do they do this to me.

Hades is far from my regular type of game, but it is one of the best games I’ve played on the Switch. If you want it with portability then it’s definitely worth £15.

Around 80 attempts now and still yet to escape, that minotaur and the small guy are a PITA and Ive only beaten them once.   Feel like I am not progressing too much anymore, but still loving this.

Played about 10 attempts now - got to Elysium and the minotaur once so far so it's still early, early days. I've only used the sword and bow so far but going to just use whatever weapon has the darkness bonus from now on.

Still very little idea about boons, etc but I do very much enjoy all the dashing and slashing all over the place.

1 hour ago, marcus said:

Around 80 attempts now and still yet to escape, that minotaur and the small guy are a PITA and Ive only beaten them once.   Feel like I am not progressing too much anymore, but still loving this.

Are you using/updating the cast? I largely ignored it when I started playing but only really started progressing consistently once i'd upgraded it in the mirror and then started getting the ranged attacks (like Festive Fog maybe, can't remember the exact one). Makes it much easier to just run around without getting into close quarters too much. The last weapon is also useful for this with it's ranged special. It also helps to try and target one of them first as it's a much easier fight once one of them is down, although that is easier said than done.

On 19/06/2021 at 12:33, Parksey said:

How does this run on the Switch then? Had it on my radar due to the praise, and indie roguelikes are sort of my thing in portable mode as they are great for long journeys. Then the Xbox version got announced which I'll get for "free", presumably with quicker loading and a higher frame rate. 

So this now leads to the Sophie's Choice of pay £15 for a game I can get for nothing in a month or so, and which will likely run better there, but with no portability. Why do they do this to me.

It's pretty much perfect on switch. 60fps with very occasional drops when it gets really hectic. 

It's almost made for the platform in my mind. 

Totally. It's the best *feeling* game of this type I've played. Dead Cells, Curse of the Dead Gods, Children of Morta etc are all good games that are kind of similar to Hades in one way or another,but don't come close to feeling as good to control as this does. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting close to 100 attempts and I am still yet to beat Hades, I have got to his second wind a few times but always die.  I also often end at the battle with the two heroes.  I read somewhere (maybe here) that someone had escaped after his 11th attempts, I would love to know what I am doing to make this so difficult!