Hades - Buy it immediately - Slay the Spire X Bayonetta. Ish.

Starting to get into this now, scratching a similar itch to Dead Cells. I'm still not feeling anything especially novel but it's egregiously refined. I like that the gateways show you the next chamber's rewards.

I'm rocking the shield and very fond of the upgrade paths. 

Got to Elysium boss for the first time on my new save - nearly cleared it too (literally needed about 3 more hits on Theseus), had an amazing set of boons for my spear, including two daedalus upgrades that were just nuts, I sacrificed spin attack for a super quick combo, then got the thing that split my spear into three.. it was just nuts. Had a bunch of crit chance on my regular attack, some insane boosts from chaos, and combined with a thing from Aphrodite which increased damage while enemies were weak.. Absolutely carnage at times. 

Glad I took the plunge on this, finding it very enjoyable. The bow seems a bit rubbish, the spear in contrast is great, need to get my head round how it all works but thankfully so far it does feel that combat is more skill based and not the stat based Diablo tedium I'd feared. The game is incredibly polished and well presented.

Only caveat I'd say was wish they had done a decent intro offer on the price considering I picked up Bastion and Rogue Legacy for around a third the cost. Admittedly never played Bastion much but rogue legacy had me hooked. I'd give Hades a solid 8/10.

16 minutes ago, mwaawm said:

Glad I took the plunge on this, finding it very enjoyable. The bow seems a bit rubbish, the spear in contrast is great, need to get my head round how it all works but thankfully so far it does feel that combat is more skill based and not the stat based Diablo tedium I'd feared. The game is incredibly polished and well presented.

Only caveat I'd say was wish they had done a decent intro offer on the price considering I picked up Bastion and Rogue Legacy for around a third the cost. Admittedly never played Bastion much but rogue legacy had me hooked. I'd give Hades a solid 8/10.

I thought that about the bow, but give it a go, it’s very good. You can end up with a set of boons which essentially makes your special your main attack. Add something which afflicts damage overtime and you’ve got a stew going.

Fucking hell so pissed right now. Had a really good run all the way to Elysium and then the game crashed. Never mind, reload and I’m back at Skelly before I left with all my resources gone! I assumed it auto saved  in every chamber as that’s what happens if you quit through the menu.

Apparently it’s a known issue (happened when I died as well) and can even fuck up you save to the extent you can’t play anymore. Tempted to wait for fix before continuing as having that hang over you kinda sucks any fun out of it. Like the reports here I didn’t have a problem until around 6 hours in.

Another day, another run (number 8). Just beat Meg again, and she’s a brilliant character. Cold and aloof without feeling like a cliche, and every time you face off against her, the more you learn about her and Zagreus. 

Arses, had a great run with the spear up to bone hydra, got the rapid stab move with addition upgrades on attack and was shredding him. Went risky when low on health figuring ahh I have the cheat death buff... I’d fucking used it before. Balls

Here's a game I wasn't even aware of a week ago and during the weekend I started getting messages that I should check it out. My initial investigation was to launch the eShop on my Switch and merely looking at the screenshots before coming to the (wrong) conclusion that it looked like a Diablo ripoff. I then noticed that a lot of the Switch friends I added during the Animal Crossing weeks back in March and April was playing Hades so I gave it another look. I decided to buy it and wanted to give it a quick sample.

That quick sample turned into a 4 hours session, taking me to the end boss of the second world/level/area. 

What a fantastic gem this is, everything feels right. The controls are tight and responsive, the progression system is among the best in its genre, the voice acting is inspired, lovely music etc. etc. 

It's like the developers have taken the best bits from the best rogue likes and made their own thing, and what a good thing it is!

Sod this writeup, I'm off for another session!

34 minutes ago, bradigor said:

This is one off those games where I'm not very good, but I don't care because the main gameplay loop is so satisfying.

Have you enabled God Mode? It doesn't affect the game in a big way but it makes it a little bit easier to progress while learning the mechanics along the way. 

On 21/09/2020 at 07:24, mwaawm said:

Don't underestimate the bow's Special once it's got a couple of boons. I was creaming some really tough bullet hell beasties with it last night.

Can someone please explain the Chaos dimension for me? A couple of times I've found a portal to the Chaos, paying a good chunk of my health to get there. Both times turned my run into a suicide run where the powers I chose drained my hp gradually until death. I'm pretty sure there's some risk/reward stuff going on here but I can't get my head around it. 

5 minutes ago, Rayn said:

Can someone please explain the Chaos dimension for me? A couple of times I've found a portal to the Chaos, paying a good chunk of my health to get there. Both times turned my run into a suicide run where the powers I chose drained my hp gradually until death. I'm pretty sure there's some risk/reward stuff going on here but I can't get my head around it. 

Sounds like you have the gist. You sacrifice some health and then have to play with a limitation or negative effect for a few chambers (like losing health on cast use), but once you've cleared them, you get a nice buff.

3 minutes ago, Takizawa said:

Sounds like you have the gist. You sacrifice some health and then have to play with a limitation or negative effect for a few chambers (like losing health on cast use), but once you've cleared them, you get a nice buff.

Cheers. I simply need to learn the mechanics better before I go through the Chaos as losing hp amped up my stress levels to the max. 

21 minutes ago, Rayn said:

Have you enabled God Mode? It doesn't affect the game in a big way but it makes it a little bit easier to progress while learning the mechanics along the way. 

Seen it, but happy plodding along.

10 minutes ago, Rayn said:

Cheers. I simply need to learn the mechanics better before I go through the Chaos as losing hp amped up my stress levels to the max. 

Yes, just check what the negative effect is compared to your perceived value of the reward. For example, you might lose HP every time you Cast for a few chambers, in order to then earn a nice buff to Cast. I'm happy not using Cast for a while, so it doesn't matter. I find that I'm not going for anything that hurts me when I use Attack, though, as that's way too much of a disadvantage (for my playstyle) for the 4 or 5 chambers it applies to, even if the eventual reward is better than the one for Cast. There's much more chance of me dying or losing too much health to then make progress, even after getting the reward.

This is just wonderful, isn't it? I've actually struggled in the past with Supergiant - I tend to admire their games rather than really love them. I'm also not a big rogue like fan. But this is working for me in similar ways to Dead Cells. There's a real sense of progression and the gameplay loop is a joy. Add the lovely character work in terms of design and voice and it's just a joy to play. Even though I'm rubbish at it.

I actually love the whole "teenager rebellion" thing and the loop works so well with the setting. The game reminded me of something from the very first moment but I couldn't recall what it was until this morning after a couple of conversations with Dusa. 

The main hub, and coming back to it over and over again, really reminds me of the time I spent with Disgaea 2. It's got some similarly quirky characters, Skelly and Dusa in particular, and the teenage emo angsty dialogue that's met with dry wit from Hades just cracks me up. While not as batshit mental as the Disgaea series there are a lot of things that are similar when it comes to the main hub and its inhabitants. 

I put off getting this until 1.0 dropped, and now I'm sorry I waited as it's bloody spectacular.

I think the subtle changes and story updates between each run are just genius as it makes returning to the start something you almost *want* to happen.

I do wonder how much dialogue there is, though. I fully expect that I'll deplete new dialogue at some point and I've already heard some repeats after only 5-6 hours of gameplay. 

8 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Can someone explain your cast to me? Seems pretty lacklustre 

The cast has a buff (debuff?) that you upgrade with Darkness that makes your damage greater to the enemy it's embedded in. Chuck 3 in something and it stacks. Also you get buffs like Poseidon's that knocks enemies away when you cast it. Cast>dash>wallop.

39 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

The cast has a buff (debuff?) that you upgrade with Darkness that makes your damage greater to the enemy it's embedded in. Chuck 3 in something and it stacks. Also you get buffs like Poseidon's that knocks enemies away when you cast it. Cast>dash>wallop.

Does it stack? :o

I thought I tested it on your skeleton pal and I didn't notice an increase past the first.

• robdood changed the title to Hades - Buy it immediately - Slay the Spire X Bayonetta. Ish.