Hades - Buy it immediately - Slay the Spire X Bayonetta. Ish.

Twelve runs, Meg still not down. Picking up more powers though, and pissing it through to Meg easily now so it’s a matter of time. So much fun to play though, who needs a fancy GPU eh?

(see 3080 thread)

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, Takizawa said:

Anyone that is enjoying this should pick up Pyre (assuming you don't already own it), Supergiant were already killing it when that came out, Hades is just proving again how great they are.

It's worth pointing out that it anyone got the Itch.io bundle from a couple of months back that Pyre is in that. It's on the list of things I keep meaning to get round to.

• Upvote 2

I love Supergiant. Bastion was wonderful, Transistor was even better, so I bought Pyre without even thinking, but I really didn’t enjoy it much. 

It felt like a real misstep for them. The gameplay was extremely repetitive and the story was really vague - not because the lore was there and they just weren’t explicit about it - but because your character didn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things. 

This is everything that was not. 

The writing and characters are just wonderful and the humour is brilliant. 

• Upvote 2

Turned this on for the first time at 7am, not knowing anything about it, and have just managed to drag myself away from it to make a cuppa. What a stunning, funny, fun game. I am in love.

• Upvote 3

Have always liked the look of Supergiants games and am verging on taking the plunge with this as it looks brilliant.....but I have Bastion sat unplayed on my switch....cant even recall what the basic gameplay mechanic for Bastion was so not sure if this will be another wasted purchase that simply adds to my pile of shame.

-Edit-

I loved rogue legacy so in theory would like this but have just read some comments describing this as like diablo....hopefully not, I have detested the snore fests that are the hold 'mouse button to win' diablo clones I have played on PC and swiftly traded in diablo 3 on the switch (my first proper diablo game) 

This is like the game version of the Lucifer TV series but with Greek gods.

I'm not a huge Roguelike fan but I'm enjoying it so far, though I don't think you should have to fight bosses again. Traipsing through the opening level to feel powerful and pick some stuff up is okay as you can do it more and more quickly, but fighting the boss every time just means you go into the new level having lost half your health every time.

2 minutes ago, Pockets said:

This is like the game version of the Lucifer TV series but with Greek gods.

I'm not a huge Roguelike fan but I'm enjoying it so far, though I don't think you should have to fight bosses again. Traipsing through the opening level to feel powerful and pick some stuff up is okay as you can do it more and more quickly, but fighting the boss every time just means you go into the new level having lost half your health every time.

Not always.

Part of the game is getting yourself into the right state to fight the boss at the end of act one, two, three etc. I get big slay the spire vibes, because each is a different challenge, and a build optimised for just one is unlikely to be the build you'd ideally want at the end of the next act.

(to some extent - I suspect it's more forgiving before you've finished, and I've not finished yet)

1 hour ago, mwaawm said:

-Edit-

I loved rogue legacy so in theory would like this but have just read some comments describing this as like diablo....hopefully not, I have detested the snore fests that are the hold 'mouse button to win' diablo clones I have played on PC and swiftly traded in diablo 3 on the switch (my first proper diablo game) 

it’s nothing like Diablo gameplay wise. It’s a proper arcade game, tight controls, skill based. It’s brilliant

• Upvote 4

Run 5 - beat Meg and went straight through Asphodel dying once. Does this mean I don't get any lore about Asphodel, as someone mentioned? That'd be a real shame.

Elysium was ok, but the brightswords with shields messed me up in a really tight chamber.

This is brilliant. Needs to come to Xbox with cross save.

I played this quite a bit on PC at the start of the year, beat the final boss a couple of times, then figured I'd park it until v1 came out. I'd planned to wait until cross-saves were in, but couldn't resist, and now I'm hooked again. This game is absolutely made for the Switch.

I love the way the different boons completely change your approach. Yesterday I got a run where my dash caused multiple types of damage, so I blitzed through rooms destroying everything by just zipping around without having to attack at all. Things were going well but that approach came unstuck on one of the Elysium mid-stage bosses. Today I made it to the final boss with a rapid fire bow, with a set of perks focused purely on upping the main attack damage, so I played it as a straight twin-stick shooter and barely touched the other powers. You can get some absolutely game-wrecking synergies going if you get lucky.

What keepsakes are people using? I've been using Dusa's feather duster, but I think it's a bit of a waste, certainly in Tarturus where I don't really need the extra healing. I think I should be more focused on the earlier stages on picking particular gods to try to shape my build a bit more rather than the random let's-see-what-I-get-this-time approach I'm using at the moment.

6 hours ago, Pockets said:

fighting the boss every time just means you go into the new level having lost half your health every time.

Haha, you'll get there.  Doing first boss no damage is so satisfying. 

6 hours ago, mwaawm said:

Have always liked the look of Supergiants games and am verging on taking the plunge with this as it looks brilliant.....but I have Bastion sat unplayed on my switch....cant even recall what the basic gameplay mechanic for Bastion was so not sure if this will be another wasted purchase that simply adds to my pile of shame.

-Edit-

It's not like diablo at all. 

7 hours ago, mwaawm said:

Yeah, I wasn't too keen on that comparison for exactly this reason; I don't think they're particularly similar:

On 17/09/2020 at 20:59, Wiper said:

Also, as someone who isn't a fan of Diablo, I'd say that's not necessarily the best comparison. There are similarities, but only in the sense that they both draw on Rogue for inspiration, and are both dungeon crawlers. Where Diablo is all about mindless combat with incremental loot upgrades; Hades is very much an isometric brawler with slow-burn levelling. I mean, so far. Again, two playthroughs in, and only to the first boss, my perspective is limited.

It's also definitely not hard in the way something like Dark Souls is: that's a game of trial and error, of gradual progress through a carefully designed map, learning the nooks and crannies of the levels and how to get through each situation, one by one. And, if you're me, of getting bored of all the above. This is a game of frenetic combat, with randomised powers and level structure giving it a traditionally rogue-like structure, and meaning it's a case of learning enemies, not levels.

It's nothing like Diablo and that comparison needs to be quashed ASAP (thank you to all those above saying the same thing, and reinforcing new purchases/players). 

I'm soooo happy they shadow-dropped the Switch version, and all those that've bought it, maybe on a whim, now understand what us early access lot have been raving about for so long.

Its fantastic on so many levels and the clear product of a company that has been honing their craft for years.

Supergiant Games have carved out their own little niche in this industry, which is truly special. The only comparison i have is Thatgamecompany, who also make games like no one else.

Long may they continue! :wub:

• Upvote 4

Really don't like the spear, personally - just can't figure the best way to use it.

The bow can be insane when powered up, and the I love the shield for bashing enemies around (and, you know, actually being a shield). But yeah, all weapons will get me through the first three areas, bar the spear.

Still haven't figured out how to manage poison though, so keep dying once that appears in game. Seems weirdly overpowered, dealing massive unstoppable tick damage after a single hit :/ Must be doing roughly 50 damage each time?

2 hours ago, Wiper said:

Really don't like the spear, personally - just can't figure the best way to use it.

The bow can be insane when powered up, and the I love the shield for bashing enemies around (and, you know, actually being a shield). But yeah, all weapons will get me through the first three areas, bar the spear.

Still haven't figured out how to manage poison though, so keep dying once that appears in game. Seems weirdly overpowered, dealing massive unstoppable tick damage after a single hit :/ Must be doing roughly 50 damage each time?

there are antidote fountains in those areas.

First run of the day, and a brutal combo on the Bow.   Concentrated flurry, which increases damage on each consecutive hit of the special, plus Aphrodite's damage increase, plus Ares' increase damage after killing enemies - its like I have Doom's double barrel shotgun all of a sudden :Wub:

Took a punt on this due to everyone raving about it. Not normally a fan of roguelikes as I find them always lacking in plot and story - but this game is fucking excellent! It’s a perfect switch game too!

• Upvote 3

Is it just my playstyle or does getting a deflect upgrade early on make things a whole lot easier?

Absoloutely loving this. As a few others have said, it isn't usually a genre i'd go for but as it is Supergiant and i'd bought it for £5 with my Epic voucher last year, I thought I might aswell give it a go.

• robdood changed the title to Hades - Buy it immediately - Slay the Spire X Bayonetta. Ish.