Hades - Buy it immediately - Slay the Spire X Bayonetta. Ish.

I'm over a hundred runs in now, and still addicted as fuck. I think I escape now more often than not, but 7 heat is the highest I've managed so far. And still never done it with Guan Yu. The health penalty is just too much, even with the healing spins. I guess I need to plough a load of titan blood into it to reduce that penalty.

Anyway, fantastic game, easily goty for me.

52 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

7 clears done now. I've got a 5 clear streak on the go. I've also discovered easy mode: the sword with Poseidon's aspect, plus Artemis' True Shot and/or Exit Wounds turns you into a cast chucking killing machine.

Indeed. Also true with the bow aspect that lets you load casts into your bow shots. Combine that with the chaos boon that gives you an extra cast and the Artemis legendary that gives you another two. Kaboom. Stupid damage.

18 hours ago, dug said:

Indeed. Also true with the bow aspect that lets you load casts into your bow shots. Combine that with the chaos boon that gives you an extra cast and the Artemis legendary that gives you another two. Kaboom. Stupid damage.

I had a go using this last night. I didn't get the Legendary, but a couple of cast upgrades and it was still enough to wipe the floor with everything :)

I also reached the credits on this in the early hours of this morning. 35 attempts in all.

Ending thoughts:

Spoiler

Initially, I was a little underwhelmed by it; I was expecting there to be some big twist, like the Olympians tricking Zagreus to bring Persephone out into the open so they could punish her for running away, or some hard as nails final boss battle - it seems my suspicions about Nyx were entirely wrong!

After sleeping on it, however, I suppose, really, the story was never some grand, epic tale about a war between the gods; in fact, it's a fairly simple tale about a young guy who wants his parents to get back together, and by the end his hard work pays off and that's exactly what he gets. Such a low-key ending is pretty fitting, then. Maybe they'll head to Olympus for the sequel.

Anyway, despite finishing it, there's no way I'm ready to stop playing yet :)

Folded and picked this up for £8.99 with the Epic voucher. Just a quick 30 mins so far but seems an enjoyable slash em up. Will get PC on TV out and park my ass on couch with the controller this afternoon :)

Having got to the credits, is there any incentive to keep playing this apart from hearing more incidental dialogue and challenging yourself to see how much heat you can take in one run?  I understand that there's 

Spoiler

another story beat where you have to reunite the Olympians with with Cthonic gods, but having read the steps it takes to trigger it, I'm not sure if it's worth the time investment.

The achievements, similarly, seem pretty out of reach unless I double, or triple, my playtime.

If you enjoy the story it's worth playing a little further. And if you enjoy the mechanics the achievements are a good excuse to do daily runs.

I have two achievements left and I've run up 130 hours. After I've managed those two I might uninstall it from the PC because like R.A.D. before it I'm finding it a bit compulsive.

6 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

So Zag: 

Reveal hidden contents

Has just fucked Meg. :ph34r:

4 hours ago, Benny said:

No I think it's more like

Hide contents

Meg fucks Zag

Poor thanatos. His own fault for being so elusive, I guess! 

52 minutes ago, robdood said:

PS re romance 

Hide contents

Omg you can romance so many npcs! 

I knew about dusa but skelly and sisyphus too?! :lol:

This game. 

I really like the endpoint of the 

Spoiler

Dusa romance.

I won't spoil it for you but it's a really cool arc.

37 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

Do you need to complete it with all weapons to get the true ending? I've escaped multiple times, but only with the shield, fists and rail.

No. You need to complete the game 

Spoiler

a certain number of times.

Spoiler

10, in total, I believe.

Said earlier that I’ve double dipped on PC and Switch, I’ve spent most of my time on Switch but have been using the Switch Pro controller on the PC version recently.  The thing is that the confirm/cancel buttons are swapped on the two different versions and I’ve just come a cropper. I can mentally handle it with the Switch and PlayStation as the controllers are different but the same controller throws the muscle memory off. 

Anyway, long story short I got to Styx and was looking in the shop and accidentally purged the boon my entire build had been based around as I’d pressed the confirm button instead of cancel. Couldn’t quit as the option was greyed out. Closed the game via the task manager and restarted it again to find myself in Skelly’s room. :facepalm:

5 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Said earlier that I’ve double dipped on PC and Switch, I’ve spent most of my time on Switch but have been using the Switch Pro controller on the PC version recently.  The thing is that the confirm/cancel buttons are swapped on the two different versions and I’ve just come a cropper. I can mentally handle it with the Switch and PlayStation as the controllers are different but the same controller throws the muscle memory off. 

Anyway, long story short I got to Styx and was looking in the shop and accidentally purged the boon my entire build had been based around as I’d pressed the confirm button instead of cancel. Couldn’t quit as the option was greyed out. Closed the game via the task manager and restarted it again to find myself in Skelly’s room. :facepalm:

Oh man :(

Done that myself.

26 attempts in and I finally beat the 3rd level. 

However, I got killed very quickly in the next section as I’d used up all my death defiances and went into it with only 6 HP and I’m a bit confused. 

Spoiler

When I got to Styx, it seems like there’s lots of chambers all at once, and also loads of upgrades to buy. Cerberus in the way of the main path. I assume attacking the dog would end badly...

5 minutes ago, OneDvBmbr said:

However, I got killed very quickly in the next section as I’d used up all my death defiances and went into it with only 6 HP and I’m a bit confused. 

Hide contents

When I got to Styx, it seems like there’s lots of chambers all at once, and also loads of upgrades to buy. Cerberus in the way of the main path. I assume attacking the dog would end badly...

You can’t.

However, down one of those paths is something he likes.

4 minutes ago, OneDvBmbr said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

You can't actually attack the doggy. Basically you get to choose which series of chambers to enter in the temple, you reach the end of one and then come back to the bit where Cerburus is. Rinse and repeat until you find the item needed to proceed, and if I recall correctly even then you can still go and clear the other chamber routes if you are feeling brave 

With regard to Alan's last point:

Spoiler

Yeah, you can try the remaining doors after you pick up the distraction for Cerby.

Basically, each door shows you what's in the final 'treasure chamber' behind it, and there's a short, linear sequence of rooms between the door and that final chamber.

You might find the bait after opening the first door, or the last. But you choose the order in which you open them, and can always choose to do them all for the rewards at the end of each.

I’m so close to escaping now I can almost taste it. 

Spoiler

Got to Hades on both of my last two runs, about 30 runs in. First time he battered me quite easily but the second attempt was agonisingly close. He was on his second health bar and down to about 5%-10%. Feel like I wasn’t concentrating enough 2nd time because I went into the fight with full health of 185 hp, with three death defiances plus Skelly’s keepsake. Not sure I’ll ever have a better chance to escape, so frustrating!

16 minutes ago, OneDvBmbr said:

I’m so close to escaping now I can almost taste it. 

Hide contents

Got to Hades on both of my last two runs, about 30 runs in. First time he battered me quite easily but the second attempt was agonisingly close. He was on his second health bar and down to about 5%-10%. Feel like I wasn’t concentrating enough 2nd time because I went into the fight with full health of 185 hp, with three death defiances plus Skelly’s keepsake. Not sure I’ll ever have a better chance to escape, so frustrating!

You'll get him next time. Consider picking up boons which give you extra damage against bosses - there are a few of those - and don't neglect your Calls; Ares' and Poseidon's are especially useful for dishing out lots of damage quickly. Just try not to activate them a second before he becomes temporarily invulnerable!

I'm just over that hump, and can now beat Meg more often than not. I find her much, much easier with ranged weapons, as they give you more time to react to her attack windups. With short range weapons, I find dashing in for a few hits immediately after she finishes an attack, then dashing away works well.

I don't know the mechanics well enough yet to be able to tell you if you get the damage bonus from having a cast crystal on bosses, but it's a reliable way to increase your damage output otherwise.

Dionysus (God of wine) has an absolutely ridiculous cast boon, which I now always pick when I see it. The drunkenness effect doesn't work on bosses but it does a lot of damage and hits a huge area so is hard to miss with.

6 minutes ago, revlob said:

I'm just over that hump, and can now beat Meg more often than not. I find her much, much easier with ranged weapons, as they give you more time to react to her attack windups. With short range weapons, I find dashing in for a few hits immediately after she finishes an attack, then dashing away works well.

I don't know the mechanics well enough yet to be able to tell you if you get the damage bonus from having a cast crystal on bosses, but it's a reliable way to increase your damage output otherwise.

Dionysus (God of wine) has an absolutely ridiculous cast boon, which I now always pick when I see it. The drunkenness effect doesn't work on bosses but it does a lot of damage and hits a huge area so is hard to miss with.

Thanks, I can get to her consistently, even do really well then it all goes to shit. The only two times I've beaten her have been with the bow but I'm not keen on using it through the chambers as it's slow but it definitely makes you think about your positioning unlike the short range weapons which get you in trouble, especially against her. Oh well, I am progressing sort of, it's a lot of fun at least.