Hades - Buy it immediately - Slay the Spire X Bayonetta. Ish.

I bought the Switch version this morning. You just have to login to your Steam/Epic account and then it syncs it up automatically, although you do need to choose 'Sync and quit' if you then want to play on PC, I believe - I think if you just put your Switch into standby mode it won't sync up.

Performance on the Switch is noticeably not as good as on PC, but still fine. It plays at 720p undocked, most of the time, but the devs seem to sacrifice res to keep the framerate stable, so when it all starts kicking off there are times when it looks like it drops to 480p  with some chunky pixellation on screen. It's especially visible in the Hydra fight, as that one's pretty bombastic .

Docked, it's noticeably not as crisp or as silky smooth as it is playing on PC at 1440p, but that's to be expected, and you quickly forget about it as soon as you start moving. I think I'll stick to the Switch version for portable play and PC when I sit down for a longer session, though.

Anyway, I'm at the point now where I can consistently make it to Elysium and I've come up against 

Spoiler

Theseus and the bull

about four times now. On my last run I managed to kill the latter, but then blondie got me. Any tips for that fight? It's a bit of a road block. Who should I kill first? Blondie's attacks come out so quickly. I take it you're supposed to use the pillars to block them?

And I think I've settled on the bow. It's great for distancing enemies, and lining up two or more in a row with it is spectacular.

It's a good thing @Jolly is no longer allowing edits to the GOTY thread otherwise this would have crept on there, and I feel like I haven't even scratched the surface yet! :)

I don’t think there is a particular tactic, but then I don’t find them too hard either, as long as I’ve put everything into Attack / Attack Dash on the journey. Although I reckon you’ll find them easier with the shield or fists than with the bow.

I tend to leave Theseus until last to show him how inconsequential he is. An afterthought!

13 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I don’t think there is a particular tactic, but then I don’t find them too hard either, as long as I’ve put everything into Attack / Attack Dash on the journey. Although I reckon you’ll find them easier with the shield or fists than with the bow.

I tend to leave Theseus until last to show him how inconsequential he is. An afterthought!

They just seem to have so much HP! I can take out the Furies in about 30 seconds, the Hydra in a minute or so, but these two just don't die, and the fight is so hectic that I can't always make out what's actually happening.

Still, I'll get em next time.

What does everyone think are the best boons? Athena's deflection ones are useful, as are the ones you get from Artemis that boost your critical. I quite like stacking Hangover from Dionysus, too, which is essentially poison. 

Managed to escape on my 20th attempt!

Spoiler

1138477269_Screenshot(5).thumb.png.55dd3dda6da86704452cd80964e41ca9.png

It was my second time up against the big man. I went in with Death Defiance x2 plus Skelly's gift, so essentially 3 extra lives. Finished at half health on my final life bar. Ares' call saved my bacon.

Fantastic stuff. Now the real game begins!

11 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Hide contents

Theseus and the bull

Any tips for that fight? It's a bit of a road block. Who should I kill first? Blondie's attacks come out so quickly. I take it you're supposed to use the pillars to block them?

Spoiler

I always take Theseus out first - his appeals to the gods can make things very hectic, so the less of that, the better. I find the Minotaur is easier to keep track of too.

Keep running in a circle around the arena (but keeping your distance). When he's about to shoot, there'll be a pink target hovering on you, so definitely don't stand still or be close, unless you're behind a column. When he shoots his spear, he'll retreat (opportunity for a backstab shot), will go invulnerable, then back vulnerable again.

Lay into him after he's shot, preferably with distance fire, and then make sure you get out before he sweeps his weapon.

If the Minotaur starts to charge you then just worry about getting away from him.

Halfway through Theseus' energy bar, he'll invoke a god, so be sure to keep out of the warning circles as a priority - that can hurt a lot.

This is a good time to use a Call if you have one. They can be VERY powerful.

If you have companions:

Spoiler

Use one when Theseus is in this second stage.

Skelly's is great for drawing their attention while you lay into them from behind.

Bouldy's gives a nice solid hit and drops some energy.

I don't really have favourite boons for this fight, but Demeter's are useful for slowing these two down until you figure them out.

Regarding 

Spoiler

Theseus and the bull

in Elysium.

Loads of people have submitted great tips. I always concentrate on the latter as he is the most active. When he charges be sure to get a pillar between him and you and he's stun himself. Deflect isn't the best here which is why it's good to have a mixed bag of boons but as long as you have a dash that leaves behind a status effect, a good call and a summon you'll start being able to take them down easily. At least until...well...you'll see.

Also once you've defeated them make sure you do a lap of the arena, or at least jog by your biggest fan, the lone shade in red. (My wife pointed this out to me. It's a nice touch.)

I'm 122 hours in now and have but two steam achievements left.

I'll always go for 

Spoiler

The Minotaur first too.  I figure that as Theseus brings a new mechanic to the fight when he gets to 50% health by summoning a God's aid then having to deal with three things at once (Thesus, the God & the Minotaur) is a bad move and dealing with that mechanic when the Minotaur is down is easier.   I've found pairing boons with weapons rather than fights is the way to go.  I also thing Poseidon dash + Zeus for the Sea Storm duo boon is overpowered to the point where it makes the game easy. 

Yeah I take beefy down first too. He’s by far the more mobile and dictates the pace and shape of the fight a lot more than his pal, who can be kept safely out of range with nothing more than the occasional dodge of a spear throw, at least until the second phase. 

As for boons it’s very difficult to talk about them in isolation because their value depends on what weapon you’re using, which aspect of said weapon you’ve picked, the other boons you’ve taken and what you’re building for. The only ones I’m always happy to see in isolation are Athena’s dash and call, since they’re very rarely objectively ‘bad’, only rarely get in the way of what I’m trying to build, and make certain encounters and boss fights much much easier. 

I got to [redacted] twice more this evening, only for him to kill me each time, the wanker. I just can't seem to do enough damage quickly enough.

I understand that you can potentially put dozens of hours into this, but, having escaped once already, how far am I from the credits? Is this going to take me another 25 to 'complete', even if I don't get all the extra stuff?

24 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I got to [redacted] twice more this evening, only for him to kill me each time, the wanker. I just can't seem to do enough damage quickly enough.

I understand that you can potentially put dozens of hours into this, but, having escaped once already, how far am I from the credits? Is this going to take me another 25 to 'complete', even if I don't get all the extra stuff?

At this stage I'd recommend "God" mode, something I wish I'd done earlier.

It's not a cheat. How it works is like this. Every run you fail raises your resistance to damage etc by 2% to a cap of 80%. Once you start completing runs it stops going up. So it acts as a very simple levelling mechanic and doesn't feel like cheating at all.

7 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

At this stage I'd recommend "God" mode, something I wish I'd done earlier.

It's not a cheat. How it works is like this. Every run you fail raises your resistance to damage etc by 2% to a cap of 80%. Once you start completing runs it stops going up. So it acts as a very simple levelling mechanic and doesn't feel like cheating at all.

Aye, I've read about this. I'm just not sure if my pride will let me turn it on! Does it block you off from getting anything, like achievements or what have you?

Made it out a second time!

Hades still gives me a right going over at the end, though. I went into the fight with 3 full death defiances and about 250HP. Ended it with all my DDs gone and 24 health. There's just so much going on in that fight a and it's pretty compact, especially compared with the other boss arenas.

Regarding the Pact of Punishment, do you only get refreshed rewards if you increase the number of bounties you have? For examole, I've done an entire run with 1 heat now - will I need 2 heat on my next run in order to get any bounties? And does it adjust to your weapon? So, I've escaped twice with the bow, but if I try a spear run, which I've not done before, will I get bounties even without any heat?

8 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Aye, I've read about this. I'm just not sure if my pride will let me turn it on! Does it block you off from getting anything, like achievements or what have you?

Nope. I avoided it for the first 20 hours plus hours while wishing there was some sort of levelling system beyond the black mirror. Once I read up on what it did I didn't look back. It's a simple solution that makes the game a little less punishing while you're struggling.

Double dipped and bought the PC version now cloud saves are in. Nice seeing shitloads of Steam achievements pop up instantly. Even though my PC is a 2018 edition Ultrabook it runs better on there than on Switch, no slowdown in the Witches Circle or huge resolution dips for example. You have to quit out of the Switch version to force the cloud save, just putting the console to sleep won’t do anything. 

Unlocked Meg’s companion yesterday but totally wasted it in consecutive boss encounters (six head phase of Lernie and the start of the the third boss fight) as I’d put that pact of punishment thing on where the first hit does zero damage.  :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Naysonymous said:

You have to quit out of the Switch version to force the cloud save, just putting the console to sleep won’t do anything. 

Yeah, be careful with that. I inadvertently deleted about an hour's worth of gameplay yesterday by playing on Switch, sticking it on standby without syncing, loading up my (slightly older) PC save and having it sync and erase what I'd done on the Switch :(

It's also worth noting that if you're playing it via the Epic store you need to actually click on the tile in your game library to get it to sync and to effectively go online with the game; clicking on a shortcut on your desktop, or wherever, will launch the game but won't activate the sync.

Anyway, made it through a third time last night, this time using the fists. I was a hair's breadth away from doing a run with the shield, too, but got ganked in big man's second stage.

What's a good tactic with the shield? The standard attack doesn't seem that effective and it doesn't combo like the other melee weapons. Most of the time I just skate about using bull rush, but it takes a long time. Killing Theseus with it is especially irritating as most of the time he can just turn and block my rushes.

Dont overlook chucking the shield. When you combine the chuck with boons and the hammer upgrades it can become really powerful. I also struggle on that boss for the same reason with the shield though, the last few times I've relied on dash damage and Call to deal with him.

12 hours ago, Jamie John said:

What's a good tactic with the shield? The standard attack doesn't seem that effective and it doesn't combo like the other melee weapons. Most of the time I just skate about using bull rush, but it takes a long time. Killing Theseus with it is especially irritating as most of the time he can just turn and block my rushes.

11 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Dont overlook chucking the shield. When you combine the chuck with boons and the hammer upgrades it can become really powerful. I also struggle on that boss for the same reason with the shield though, the last few times I've relied on dash damage and Call to deal with him.

Don't forget the bullrush either with the shield. Great if your bullrush has an upgrade that pierces armour. As for shield chucking I got some amazing boons and upgrades which led to me being overpowered for that run. Lightning on special (shield throw), faster specials from Hermes and more ricochets from the shield throw led to me becoming a screen clearing machine. My shield throw was super fast, would hit 4-7 enemies and give off lightning arcing out to hit others nearby.

41 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

Don't forget the bullrush either with the shield. Great if your bullrush has an upgrade that pierces armour. As for shield chucking I got some amazing boons and upgrades which led to me being overpowered for that run. Lightning on special (shield throw), faster specials from Hermes and more ricochets from the shield throw led to me becoming a screen clearing machine. My shield throw was super fast, would hit 4-7 enemies and give off lightning arcing out to hit others nearby.

Cheers for this. I managed a clear with the shield earlier on. Done it 5 times now. Currently midway through an attempt with the gun, but I'm not holding out much hope. It's a tricky weapon to master.

4 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Cheers for this. I managed a clear with the shield earlier on. Done it 5 times now. Currently midway through an attempt with the gun, but I'm not holding out much hope. It's a tricky weapon to master.

There's some nice upgrades that make it viable. I quite like lightning on attack, a status effect on special and the upgrade that allows you to fire in three round bursts with no reload.