Hades - Buy it immediately - Slay the Spire X Bayonetta. Ish.

The writing in this has made me laugh out loud at times. After a little bit of Hypnos constant requests for a certain something and fighting the pair again...

Spoiler

Achilles offering you the same "gift" only to be flabbergasted when you're like, nah you're alright mate :lol:

Got my second escape. The build I had for the fist weapon was insane

Ruthless reflex for 50% dodge chance plus Hermes upgrade for +3 dodges, Doom on the attack, plus Sturdy for 30% damage reduction while attacking, deflection on every dodge, Doom and Weak revenge damage on being hit, high backstab bonus damage, the list went on... It basically meant I could hold down the attack button while spamming dodge all around the final boss and barely got hit. Ridiculous!

I'm just constantly amazed how much unique dialogue is in this. All excellently acted, and just how much of it is context sensitive. Just little things like not being able to afford an item from the well that you actually really need at that point or using certain weapons or specific situations. Nearly all of it is commented on in some way.

Yeah it's great. There's only a couple of obvious 'repeats' I've seen in about 80 escape attempts! 

Been duo boon hunting recently, you know how Athena's cast is a bit weird? I've never really liked it, but oh man, the duo you can get with Zeus makes it bounce around like chain lightning does :wub:

20 hours ago, Muz said:

Tried the hera bow aspect yesterday - one did one run but it might have been the most fun run I've had from 100 attempts! Paired it up with poseidon's cast and powered it up, got fast reload from hermes and it just got silly how powerful it was. Less so on Hades but still walked the whole thing and had a blast.

Yeah it's awesome isn't it? I just had a run with a very powerful chill shot on my main attack with Diyonisis' cast. It was my 2nd clear, the last boss was almost easy!

Dat Hera aspect burst damage. I think with Dionysus cast it does the most sickening single shots.

Though vanilla version of the hidden weapon aspect is up there for damage potential.

1 hour ago, JLM said:

Keepsakes I reckon. I call them relics in all games because of Spire too ha.

Fair enough. But I still don't know what @Delargeycounts as the last 3?

I mean the last TWO are pretty tricky in tes of needing to see the credits before being able to talk the right talk, but otherwise...? 

14 hours ago, Delargey said:

When/how do you get the last three relics?

If you’re reffering to the three seemingly empty spots there are no keepsakes there at all. There’s no ‘Locked’ icon on them.

The hidden aspect on Stygius is amazing.

Spoiler

Excalibur's attack speed is noticeably slower than any of the other aspects with increased wind-up between combo stages, but the damage output is just crazy. First buff I found was a Daedulus hammer that boosted damage against armour by 300%, so it just chewed up the Doomstone in Tartarus with a handful of blows.

You get a bonus 50HP to your life-bar, and your special generates a safe zone that slows projectiles and lowers enemy attack damage. You can throw it down, go toe to toe with Hades, and just plain wreck him.

The stygian blade was the only one I hadn't got a clear with, but it's now my best time.

I finished a run last night using exactly that.

Spoiler

It really changes the play style. Just slap on all the survivability and area effect boons and you're laughing.

Tried the pull enemies in variant of the fists but didn't like it much - you need the right boons for that or bosses and later enemies just wreck you.

4 hours ago, Rayn said:

If you’re reffering to the three seemingly empty spots there are no keepsakes there at all. There’s no ‘Locked’ icon on them.

Yeah...these are the ones?

38 minutes ago, Benny said:

I finished a run last night using exactly that.

Hide contents

It really changes the play style. Just slap on all the survivability and area effect boons and you're laughing.

Tried the pull enemies in variant of the fists but didn't like it much - you need the right boons for that or bosses and later enemies just wreck you.

Oh man, that's my favourite fists variant! Yeah, it's definitely not built for boss fights, but I love being able to pull enemies out of groups or stop them running away, like "get over here!"

The hidden aspect on the other hand:

Spoiler

Yowza, I feel like the 50% extra damage taken while activating its "maim" gimmick is absolutely too huge to use against Hades. In fact, I activated it accidentally and then lost two death defiances in one spear combo in phase 2 of the fight. Beat him with 8 health remaining. Hard to use against bosses in general TBF, I think even the furies I made it out by the skin of my teeth. The extra damage does make regular mob fights more fun, but yeah, not really sold on this aspect TBH.

I just got further than ever before

Spoiler

battle with Hades

on run 50-something, before inevitably getting wiped out in mere seconds. The “end” is in sight!

4 hours ago, Darren said:

The “end” is in sight!

Is it though? 

In other news, I love that my Zagreus is so accustomed to death, that after I return to the house...

Spoiler

He no longer complains, and just chuckles to himself :D

Having cleared this after about 30 runs, my opinion hasn't massively changed since the start. It's very very polished, tight and snappy combat, and always pretty satisfying no matter your weapon or boons. On the flip side, there's obviously a ton of stuff I could still unlock, but at this stage it all feels very much of an ilk. I've had a couple of memorable runs, but they're always within fairly narrow parameters.

It's not necessarily fair to compare it to Isaac, arguably the greatest ever roguelite, but even having unlocked pretty much everything that game has to offer, I still fire it up after 300 hours and get a run I've never had before. The synergies are far more interesting, chaotic and unpredictable and they're a work of one-off accidental genius. Even Edmund couldn't have foreseen what his systems were capable of. Isaac feels far from polished and that's part of the appeal. It often feels like you're only one item away from dismantling the entire engine and turning the game inside out. I will never forget taking down Ultra Greed or Delirium with The Lost and feeling like my build was going to short the Switch.

In Hades, it never feels like anything else matters very much as long as you learn to time your dashes correctly. There's definitely build variety but the effects are never surprising or particularly change how you play. Learning when to dash is the most important variable in making progress. And so there's no gameplay hook for me to pick it up again. 

It doesn't help that I have zero interest in the story or characters because I simply can't bear the voice acting or that thespian tone. I won't be any more unkind than that. It seems that the story and contextual comments are a big draw for plenty of people here and elsewhere, so by actively blocking out that stuff I'm inevitably judging the game on an incomplete picture.

Very well made, and nestled in just behind Toy Baseball from 51 Worldwide Games in my GOTY list. 

I bought this from the Epic store but when I try and install it is says 

Install location error

c:\Program Files\Epic Games\Hades

Error Code: DP-06

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

1 hour ago, strider said:

I bought this from the Epic store but when I try and install it is says 

Install location error

c:\Program Files\Epic Games\Hades

Error Code: DP-06

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Fixed it. There was an update to the store I'd missed.

With the final aspect of the Claws 

Spoiler

I started getting new dialogue with Aesterus (bull man) that he was learning more with each battle.

I did about 5 runs with these but then it just got generic.

I'm not a massive fan of them - do it need to keep battling him wearing them to progress that story?

In other news, just had the most satisfying escape in a while.  Was simultaneously going for a couple of prophecies - needed Demeter's legendary to finish off the ledge boon's one, and because the spear had the darkness bonus I went for 'reach the surface with spear hidden aspect'.  And golly gee it was amazing fun!

It's all about the charge attack, baby! The fully charged version does obscene damage. Got some upgrades which increased the size of the attack and increased how far it travelled, which gave me some great heals.  Had to play a bit more slower and tactically sometimes to heal myself up after fights, but it worked out amazingly. 

Had chill only on my dash, but I killed every boss from Lernie onwards (even Lastboss) with Demeter's legendary (chill-affected enemies die at 10% hp) - it was amazing the first time it happened! :D

I even cheekily went for a strange objective I got from Chaos to beat Lastboss with his Keepsake Egg equipped and bloody nailed it! :wub: 

Hades_37.thumb.png.8f342d42696dd11d14494df451590e17.png

Best game.