Hades - Buy it immediately - Slay the Spire X Bayonetta. Ish.

And my favourite observation that I enjoyed the other day amongst the game's careful attention to various details was

Spoiler

noticing that Skelly has a coin in his mouth, as per payment for the Ferryman of the dead.

Just now, Benny said:

And

Hide contents

Theseus

is SUCH a cunt.

:D He is absolutely fantastic. Such a pompous, self-righteous arsehole. I actually shouted "FUCK YOUUUUUUUUU!" the first time I killed him, despite being alone in my flat at the time.

21 minutes ago, JLM said:

Absolutely smash Colin when he turns up these days. Think it's a nice mark of progress that it seemed impossible to beat his kill count when he first arrived and now he gets embarrassed. Bet his emails are going to get really snippy in future.

Colin's going to send you a Fall Out Boy mixtape and some self-penned angry poetry any minute now.

13 minutes ago, JLM said:

:D He is absolutely fantastic. Such a pompous, self-righteous arsehole. I actually shouted "FUCK YOUUUUUUUUU!" the first time I killed him, despite being alone in my flat at the time.

He has the most punchable face of any character in any videogame ever. Killing him is beyond satisfying. Every. Single. Time.

I think there is absolutely a comparison that can be made with this and Dead Cells - similar compulsive gameplay loops and promise of candy coloured rewards. The difference however is in how this is presented to the player, and how well it carves out its own distinct personality to proceedings with little touches of character or minor revelations. The sheer amount of new dialogue and commentary you get to make each run feel different is an achievement in itself, and it subconsciously keeps that compulsion going to see more.

3 hours ago, footle said:

@Capwn You’re using the mirror right? And you’ve levelled death defiance up?

I didn’t escape till about run 52: some of it is luck, some of it is strengthening your avatar, some of it is working out which boons work best for your play style while still giving you a hope of clearing the final boss - I can often be a whirling dervish of death in act 4 before getting slaughtered at the boss.

but being that whirling dervish is fun while it lasts.

Yeah, have unlocked the entire mirror (yes I know about the switches) and have most stuff maxed out. I currently have 3 defiance (4 if you include skelly's keepsake). I'm currently past 60 runs, at about 50%+ resistance. I have all the main gameplay based gem architecture stuff.

I should be storming it right? Anyway I did get to the final boss again last night with 3 defiance left, still lost.

Spoiler

Got to stage 2 again, not really seeing much room for tactics here still. Other than try and not be in the wrong place when he starts the spinning laser thing. Also no idea how to avoid those huge radius blasts other than running to the edges of the area and hoping for the best. Any tips?

1 hour ago, Alask said:

There's a few things which are definitely not obvious, like I've got 5 stacks of Fated Authority at the mirror now and have never managed to re-roll a door from something I didn't want (keys, gemstones, darkness, nectar) to something I did want (basically anything else). So I googled it today to find out why it's so rubbish and why RNG hates me and it's because you can't turn one of those things into one of the things I want. It's not actually what it does. There's two distinct pools of rewards and it only rerolls within it's pool. So my keys, gemstones, darkness and nectar really do only every rotate among themselves and I'm not going mad.

I might ditch it for the other option given that. I'm still at the 'mostly happy with any god so I can see what works' stage rather than trying to force particular gods. Although chill is so good I could be tempted to reroll doors for that. Especially chill, plus the boon where if everyone is chilled then they all take damage. I got that on my last sword run, with deflect on dash and special too and some beam weapon sword effect and finally completed a run with the sword. Just the rail to go now. Rail's got to be easier than sword, it's got to be..

Yeah, once I realised that fated authority wouldn't do me much good I switched to the alternative and LOVE it. Occasionally it does really fuck you up (it might force you to replace a good boon with a bad one), but it's helped the consistency of my runs so much. Also, I'm with you on most damage dealing boons being interchangeable though. Optimally I like flat status like weak or jolted on my single hit attack and a stackable one on my multi and to just watch things melt. But I'll even take the other way around in a pinch. I still have preferences for cast, call and dash, but honestly, up to where I am now (8 heat across all weapons), it's not made a huge difference.

7 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Yeah, have unlocked the entire mirror (yes I know about the switches) and have most stuff maxed out. I currently have 3 defiance (4 if you include skelly's keepsake). I'm currently past 60 runs, at about 50%+ resistance. I have all the main gameplay based gem architecture stuff.

I should be storming it right? Anyway I did get to the final boss again last night with 3 defiance left, still lost.

Hide contents

Got to stage 2 again, not really seeing much room for tactics here still. Other than try and not be in the wrong place when he starts the spinning laser thing. Also no idea how to avoid those huge radius blasts other than running to the edges of the area and hoping for the best. Any tips?

Tip for the point you're struggling on:

Spoiler

The timing on his spear swipes is unusually slow - he gives you so much advance warning you can dash too early and have already lost your invulnerability as he attacks. The key is to wait longer than you would for a normal attack. It can be hard to get down but it'll become second nature in time. Good luck!

Final boss stuff:

Spoiler

You can dodge through the big radius blasts if you time it right, or alternatively if you kill the little flaming skull things quickly you can stop them exploding into said blasts. The big spinning beams attack, you can use the terrain here, it's much easier to dodge if you're behind a rock. Alternatively you just have to run very carefully between the beams. It's better to try and run in sync with them than to dodge as you'll end up dashing into them more often than not. With the shield you can block the beams also, not sure which weapon you're using though. Or if you have Aphrodite's call you can charm him when he's about to do it and it cancels the beam attack entirely. Did that on my last run :D .

Also if you have any footage of your runs or examples of the sort of builds/weapons you're using we might be able to give more specific advice.

Also on weapon aspects, I am completely in love with

Spoiler

Aspect of Hera on the bow, which loads your cast into your next attack with the bow. Been cooking up all sorts of delicious cast launching fun with it. Favourite was the Aries blade rift cast combined with Demeter so the rift also inflicts chill. Then had Aphrodite's boon on the attack itself, *then* the upgrade that makes the blade rift suck enemies in. So it was one glorious shot that inflicts weak, inflicts chill and leaves them trapped in the blade rift, taking extra damage because they have two statuses. Combined all of that with Demeter's legendary that makes enemies with chill die when they get to 10% health, which is phenomenal against bosses. Absolutely superb, loved it. Aries had been my least favourite god until firing rifts at people with my bow became an option. :D

1 hour ago, Capwn said:

Hide contents

Tips:

Spoiler

- For the big lasers, hide behind one of the obstacles and don't move.

- You can dash through radius blasts without losing any health. Try to kill the skulls before they fire whenever possible.

- Sometimes both the laser and the radius blast happen at the same time. That's unfortunate and you kinda just have to take the radius blast hit, as it's less damaging than dashing out from behind an obstacle and getting lasered in the face.

This absolutely clicked for me yesterday on a run where my bow wound up as a supercharged rifle, doing 4x damage if I timed the power shot within a generous window. Blasted past the first boss for the first time and half way through the second.

My next run was with the shield and I blitzed past the first boss again, but the play style I was in was completely unsuitable for the second world and I didn’t get very far at all.

This is like its own game construction kit. The absolute range of it. Such a strong GotY contender, so late in the year.

1 hour ago, Capwn said:

Hide contents

Tip:

Spoiler

Try to steer your build to getting the Lightening Rod Duo Boon that Zeus and Artemis can give you. You can spend most of your time running around and avoiding Hades while youre cast crystals inflict all the lightening damage.

32 minutes ago, JLM said:

Also on weapon aspects, I am completely in love with

Hide contents

Aspect of Hera on the bow. Been cooking up all sorts of delicious cast launching fun with it. Favourite was the Aries blade rift cast combined with Demeter so the rift also inflicts chill. Then had Aphrodite's boon on the attack itself, *then* the upgrade that makes the blade rift suck enemies in. So it was one glorious shot that inflicts weak, inflicts chill and leaves them trapped in the blade rift, taking extra damage because they have two statuses. Combined all of that with Demeter's legendary that makes enemies with chill die when they get to 10% health, which is phenomenal against bosses. Absolutely superb, loved it. Aries had been my least favourite god until firing rifts at people with my bow became an option. :D

Holy crap. This sounds incredible. All the bow aspects are ridiculous, it seems!

I bought this during early access but only started playing this morning. I've got to third area quite a few times but the boss there is pretty much ruining me.

My right hand is now fucked.

Amazing little bit of incidental dialogue just now:

Spoiler

Did an Erebus room early in my run and messed it up. You're supposed to clear them without getting hit and get a reward, but if you get hit you get a sassy comment from Hades and a raw onion which restores 1HP to mock you. Mid-way through act 2, I talk to Eurydice and she makes a comment about how Zagreus' breath smells like he's been eating raw onions. Took me a second to even realise what she was on about. This game. :wub:

The Daedalus Hammer that turns your fists super into a (double) jump kick, combined with dash and some choice Poseidon boons that knock and cause extra slam damage  - it’s just :blink:

But..

7708A3F6-0266-4597-BAFC-A623757154CB.jpeg.fe79cc1b066ef5633cee9aa9d656829c.jpeg

Having failed a couple of times on the second phase of the last boss I managed my first win on attempt 20.

Spoiler

Clipboard01.thumb.jpg.7f8d5aec3f7dcd77b8f049e37b2b4485.jpg

Actually thinking strategically about the boons and swapping them out rather than just lazily keeping the same one equipped as I had been doing definitely helped! I've only just noticed you can flip the upgrades in the mirror as well :facepalm:

Phew, finally finished this the other day at over 60 runs. To be honest I think it really starts souring after 40 runs, if I had done it before I think I'd be calling this game of the year but the last 20 or so runs felt tiring having to do the entire thing over and over. In the end, I think I was just extremely lucky with the boons.

6 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Phew, finally finished this the other day at over 60 runs. To be honest I think it really starts souring after 40 runs, if I had done it before I think I'd be calling this game of the year but the last 20 or so runs felt tiring having to do the entire thing over and over. In the end, I think I was just extremely lucky with the boons.

Which weapon did you complete it with? 

25 minutes ago, Capwn said:

There's definitely more to it than getting lucky.  Or else I wouldn't currently have a completion streak of 8!  And I wouldn't be on escape 70-something :D

Yeah I've found it to get better and better as it's gone on. The more you know about the game the more potential you see in synergies between boons and you have a better eye for what sort of build you're looking for. Also with keepsakes you can give yourself a very good chance of getting what you're after, but if you don't, these games always expect you to be able to adapt on the fly as well, and that's a big part of being good at them. It's much like Slay the Spire and Monster Train in that regard, where some people say it's just RNG, but the fact that people can put win streaks together and also continue enjoying the game for hundreds of hours (1000 STS and 300 Monster Train for me, I have a problem) is surely evidence that there's waaay more to it than luck.  I also love the world and the characters, so I'm loving hunting for all the secrets and learning more about the characters and whatnot. First clear was just the beginning for me. :)

Yeah I’ve had times when the build I was putting together wasn’t quite going how I wanted it to but then a happy accident would occur and I’d discover combinations which work really well - I’ve enjoyed every run though tbh, like orgasms even my worst one was right on the money. 

I had a similar arc with Slay the Spire: loved it initially, then after the 40 hour mark thought I'd seen it all, but didn't see the true depth, then hundreds of hours later it was revealed to me just how deep it was.

I'm at about the 40 hour mark on this so it's probably at the springboard stage of learning.