Hades - Buy it immediately - Slay the Spire X Bayonetta. Ish.

1 minute ago, Number 28 said:

Just...how? Do you use god mode? On my 32nd run I finally scraped out of Elysium last night after a painfully protracted battle, but promptly died a few rooms into the next area...my health just suddenly depleted in 3 seconds, for no apparent reason. I don't think I'm ever going to manage.

I didn't use god mode, but you just get better over time regardless. You learn how to handle the various enemy types more efficiently, and then there's the improvements you gain from the mirror and titan blood. The first time I reached the fourth area I died quickly too, but this time it was a doddle. I'm guessing you were poisoned in that run, but there's at least one pool in each arena you can use to cure that. 

I'm hardly an expert, but my advice would be to just pick the boons and upgrades that work well for you and compliment each other. I got my hands on a boon early on that inflicted Doom on foes hit by my special, which for the bouncing shield means you can Doom a bunch of foes at once. I later got a upgrades to hit even more foes and speed up my special, along with upgrades to Doom that could damage a whole bunch of enemies at once. I also got abilities to fling out foe seeking blade rifts for my cast that did some great damage over time.

Also just keep an eye on what rewards are best for you at the time. If you've hardly got any money then there's no point visiting Charon for instance. If you're lacking boons for certain attacks then you might want to collect more before upgrading existing ones. You can also usually rely on Charon or wells to offer healing items if you're low on health. Stuff like that.

Oh and personally I've found I tend to survive more easily with the ranged weapons than I do in melee. 

14 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

Just...how? Do you use god mode? On my 32nd run I finally scraped out of Elysium last night after a painfully protracted battle, but promptly died a few rooms into the next area...my health just suddenly depleted in 3 seconds, for no apparent reason. I don't think I'm ever going to manage.

Just keep going! I didn’t escape until my 41st run, but I’ve done it a bunch of times now. There are enemies that dish out poison damage in the last level, so look out for weird little fountains that cure you. 

Yeah, I noticed the pools in the previous rooms, but I had just entered a room, been poisoned, then dead. No chance. Hypnos mentioned what had killed me, but I can't remember what he said.

I spent 5 titan blood on different weapons, but apparently you can unlock something if you spend them on one? I've not had any titan blood from bosses in many runs. Is it random? I've not had many diamonds either.

You get a Titan’s blood for the act 1 boss and another for escaping, but it’s once each per weapon. So if you’ve already cleared act 1 with the sword you won’t get another for doing it again. After that you need to change weapons or turn the heat up to get more. Similar thing with Diamonds and Ambrosia. You can also use the broker/trader guy in the house of Hades to trade these items, so you can swap out an ambrosia for Titan’s blood if you need the blood more at the time. 

12 minutes ago, Delargey said:

Some of my relics now have little pictures of people beside them, saying I have a close bond. What does this mean?

You've maxed out that relationship. I don't think it affects gameplay.

3 hours ago, JLM said:

You get a Titan’s blood for the act 1 boss and another for escaping, but it’s once each per weapon. So if you’ve already cleared act 1 with the sword you won’t get another for doing it again.

Ah right, I didn't realise this, I thought it was randomised. Thanks for letting me know.

Is it weird I'm always using the feather duster? The kebabs (??) in every room add up to a huge difference. I've had the duster become unselectable on some runs though, I'm not really sure why. I thought it was one keepsake use per area, but on my last run I kept the same one all the way...

2 hours ago, Number 28 said:

Ah right, I didn't realise this, I thought it was randomised. Thanks for letting me know.

Is it weird I'm always using the feather duster? The kebabs (??) in every room add up to a huge difference. I've had the duster become unselectable on some runs though, I'm not really sure why. I thought it was one keepsake use per area, but on my last run I kept the same one all the way...

A keepsake will become unselectable during a run if you've already used it once in that run and switched away from it. I think you can always start with whatever you want.

I've cleared it with all the weapons apart from the sword and the rail now. The rail I can generally get to the last boss, but I'm rubbish with the sword. I think I've only got past Elysium once with it. Had the double attack on dash which was pretty good and then took the extra health on hit but -60% max health. Not sure if that was a mistake or not, so far every hammer upgrade I've tried hasn't seemed great. The big sword sounds like it'd be good, but you lose the sweep attack so it's much harder (for me) to hit with.

Rail's ok, I guess my issue with the rail is I end up standing still too much and then I get dead-ed. Too tempting to become a turret.

Not got any companions yet, haven't been spending my nectar because I didn't want to spend it on the wrong person but I've looked it up now so reckon that'll help once I get a buddy.

It's such a good game though, it's the little pause after every room then a burst of frenetic action and the variety of the boons. Just occasionally it all slots into place and you end up with an amazing loadout and melt people. It's great, best game I own on the switch.

Beat Theseus and The Minotaur!! Finally. 

Hunter Dash and Serrated Point were the basis here, plus some boons to power up dash-attack with extra reach and deflect. Didn’t even lose a life to them in the end. 

Got ripped to shreds in the final region though. No idea how to deal with poison. 

11 minutes ago, spanx said:No idea how to deal with poison. 

There are small pools that cure poison in every room, should be easy enough to spot. You can use them multiple times but there’s a slight cooldown between uses.

Also, there are only three things that inflict the poison state; the weird green grate traps on the floor, the giant rats’ attack where they go bananas in one place splurting out green goop, and the satyrs’ projectile attack. I always try and take out the satyrs first as that’s the one that catches me out most often, but if they have no armor you can interrupt their wind up animation with an attack.

This is driving me mad, about 50 runs in now and only got to what I think is the final boss once. Since then I've died so many times, including dying in world 1 three times in a row. I'm on god mode too, currently at like 44% resistance.

Last run was so frustrating, I was storming through everyone and then got to world 4 and 

Spoiler

Popped into a room filled with a million rats and medusas in a tiny room. Got slaughtered suddenly. You know that area with all the doors? I'm tempted to go into the boss ones, I have no idea what the bosses are but I'd do anything to avoid rat rooms.

I got to the last area and the final boss. The first stage was easy-ish - I just kept my distance and shot at him with my fist super. But he turned into a a pain in the arse in the second. Too much stuff to dodge and no death defiance left. 

Do I really have to get that far without dying once to stand a chance?

26 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

I got to the last area and the final boss. The first stage was easy-ish - I just kept my distance and shot at him with my fist super. But he turned into a a pain in the arse in the second. Too much stuff to dodge and no death defiance left. 

Do I really have to get that far without dying once to stand a chance?

With a bit of practice you'll get him. If you can survive the first part you can do the second, it's much more forgiving, IMO.

@Capwn You’re using the mirror right? And you’ve levelled death defiance up?

I didn’t escape till about run 52: some of it is luck, some of it is strengthening your avatar, some of it is working out which boons work best for your play style while still giving you a hope of clearing the final boss - I can often be a whirling dervish of death in act 4 before getting slaughtered at the boss.

but being that whirling dervish is fun while it lasts.

I only realised yesterday (run 40+) that when at the mirror you can

Spoiler

swap effects for alternatives that also need levelling up.

Has that always been there and I never noticed, or is it new when you spend keys to open the last two items on the list (which I did immediately before noticing)?

My partner was on a Hades run yesterday and paused the game while she was in a Thanatos room. My 7 year old, who has played some Hades too and loves it, was watching. We were then all talking about something else when my son looked at the screen and said, 'I haven't seen Colin yet.'

'What? Who?'

'The death guy. Colin.'

'Wait, do you mean Thanatos?'

'Oh yeeeeah, him.'

Annoyingly whiny emo Thanatos is now Colin forever in my house. :lol:

42 minutes ago, Darren said:

I only realised yesterday (run 40+) that when at the mirror you can

Hide contents

swap effects for alternatives that also need levelling up.

Has that always been there and I never noticed, or is it new when you spend keys to open the last two items on the list (which I did immediately before noticing)?

Not sure what triggers it, but Nyx tells you about it at a certain point.

I bought this a few weeks ago what with the positive buzz and figured I'd get round to it eventually, so on Saturday afternoon absentmindedly loaded it up to see what the fuss was all about. I think I peeled myself off my sofa finally at 1am Sunday.

Just to join in with the high praise for this gem of a game.  I have been playing it for a few weeks, usually doing 1 run per sitting.  Progress has been steady and I've made it to the 4th (final?) world once.  I feel I'm slowly understanding more of the systems and have recently enjoyed trying out some new weapons to surprisingly good effect.  I haven't checked for a while, but I must be around 35-40 runs now (my son has done a few of those on my profile).   

I have no real expectation, but I feel like I'm close to finishing a run, perhaps even this week. Either way, before I do that, this is firmly at the top of my GOTY list, although the list is maybe 2 or 3 games deep so that feels like damning with faint praise and this game deserves so much more.

Absolutely smash Colin when he turns up these days. Think it's a nice mark of progress that it seemed impossible to beat his kill count when he first arrived and now he gets embarrassed. Bet his emails are going to get really snippy in future.

There's a few things which are definitely not obvious, like I've got 5 stacks of Fated Authority at the mirror now and have never managed to re-roll a door from something I didn't want (keys, gemstones, darkness, nectar) to something I did want (basically anything else). So I googled it today to find out why it's so rubbish and why RNG hates me and it's because you can't turn one of those things into one of the things I want. It's not actually what it does. There's two distinct pools of rewards and it only rerolls within it's pool. So my keys, gemstones, darkness and nectar really do only every rotate among themselves and I'm not going mad.

I might ditch it for the other option given that. I'm still at the 'mostly happy with any god so I can see what works' stage rather than trying to force particular gods. Although chill is so good I could be tempted to reroll doors for that. Especially chill, plus the boon where if everyone is chilled then they all take damage. I got that on my last sword run, with deflect on dash and special too and some beam weapon sword effect and finally completed a run with the sword. Just the rail to go now. Rail's got to be easier than sword, it's got to be..