Hades - Buy it immediately - Slay the Spire X Bayonetta. Ish.

Finally got to phase 2 of the last boss, got him to half health before I died. That's 31 runs I think. Annoyingly since I've got max death defiance and the skelly charm I seem to end up blowing most of them before I get to him! I used to get there without loosing many, when I didn't have many. I think if I can just get there with all defiances intact I'll be able to take him.

IMO the Evergreen Acorn is better than the Skelly Tooth, unless you regularly use death defiance outside of boss fights. You can only benefit from the tooth once per run and it only gives you 100HP, whereas the Acorn works on every boss fight, and can potentially save you losing any amount of HP.

3 hours ago, imp said:

That’s my favourite upgrade with that bow! Such ridiculous bursts of damage from far, far away!

I started a really, really stupid run this morning. I have the aspect of Eris, and the gimmick is that to power up you need to hit yourself with the gun’s special (the grenade lob). Just for the fated prophecy I decided to pick the hammer upgrade that makes your special a huge AoE that does 300% damage but also hurts you, thinking maybe that last part won’t happen as I need to hit myself, right? Wrong. So now either I need to take 7HP to activate my damage buff for 12 seconds or just use the weapon like the default aspect but without any upgrades. Looking forward to seeing how this one pans out later after I get some work done!

It pans out pretty well, as it happens! I discovered that by dashing inside the splash zone at the last second you can avoid the damage from the blast AND take the buff! The damage was absolutely insane on the blast though, thanks to a +79% damage boon, so that was taking care of almost everything for me anyway without even needing the buff. Still, you better believe I went for it every. single. time! I must have been the cause of 50% of all the damage I took up until the end of Asphodel, where Hermes gave me the +3 extra dashes boon. And boy, it was so useful that from that point on I was only the cause of 30% of all the damage I took! Made it out, though!

Good game, this.

I was up playing this until after 4am last night so had to take the morning off work because I was so shattered, it's been a long time since any game has done that. Once you start getting to know specific boons and weapon forms than synergize well it really takes on another new life. I just can't seem to finish off the final boss, even with my health being regenerated with each attack to the point that I wiped the floor with everything up until then I was just losing health too quickly. I finally thought I'd done it but then the next bit started...

One thing that irks me about this game and the 'heat' thing is you can't go to higher heat level without having beat the game on the previous heat level.  Seems a bit of an arbitrary choice, tbh.  Especially because it doesn't count for heat levels 0/1!

So team,

this has got me interested, mainly because of the thread title! Looks a bit Diablo? Am I right in thinking this is one of them games you die and have to start all over again? Because I’ve had my fill of them, I really want something with constant progression or levelling, am I going to get that here?

3 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

So team,

this has got me interested, mainly because of the thread title! Looks a bit Diablo? Am I right in thinking this is one of them games you die and have to start all over again? Because I’ve had my fill of them, I really want something with constant progression or levelling, am I going to get that here?

Its the best one of these games ever (imo), mainly because it has a neat story which is designed to progress even as you die repeatedly, great characters and voice acting, plus you have excellent combat that's a level above any other rogue like I've played. 

Plus it has plenty of constant levelling and getting stronger both in the game in in your own head/skills. 

Its my goty easy. 

21 minutes ago, robdood said:

Its the best one of these games ever (imo), mainly because it has a neat story which is designed to progress even as you die repeatedly, great characters and voice acting, plus you have excellent combat that's a level above any other rogue like I've played. 

Plus it has plenty of constant levelling and getting stronger both in the game in in your own head/skills. 

Its my goty easy. 

Sold.

2 hours ago, Hexx said:

Any tips/hints for hidden aspects?

The short version is just play around with unlocking new aspects with Titan blood and eventually you’ll get the secret ones, but if you’re after specifics...

To get started:

Spoiler

You’ll need Achilles to unlock the first hidden aspect before you can unlock the rest. To get him to give this dialogue you need to have unlocked five aspects on any weapons (you can divide these unlocks however you like), but you must have put at least 5 Titan Blood into the spear before he tells gets the ball rolling. This might take a while too, as he has a lot of story dialogue depending on how much stuff you’ve done which he’ll prioritise over unlocking the first hidden aspect. 

For further aspects:

Spoiler

Make sure you’ve invested 5 Titan Blood into the weapon you want to unlock the hidden aspect for, and then do a run with that weapon. Sometimes on the run, but sometimes on a later run while using a different weapon you’ll eventually encounter a character who will give you the unlock. Or sometimes even between runs.

Off work today, so smashing some Hades.  Just got Stygius' hidden aspect.

Spoiler

OMG Arthur's sword is such a neat idea.  And it's a BEAST.  Feels like a Dark Souls Claymore :D

I kind of like the sword. I think the default moveset is fun, but the problem for me is that I dislike almost all the hammer upgrades for it! For some reason the ones that change the default attacks to the big chop or infinitely looping 2-hit combo have trouble tracking enemy positions compared to the default 3-hit combo as well.

Looking forward to trying the hidden aspect though. I think I need somewhere in the region of 80 more Titan blood to unlock and fully level all the hidden aspects though. Which is what, another 7+ heat levels on every weapon...? Good-o.

Still can’t beat Theseus. If anything I’m regressing. Found myself seeking solace in Slay the Spire rather than struggling against this. I really want to persevere but think I’ll have a break and come back to it fresh. 

I'm in exactly the same predicament @spanx I'm 31 runs in, stuck on Theseus and starting to feel pretty crap at it. My runs feel like they take forever, half the time I don't even escape Asphodel, and the amount of gems/darkness/keys I collect each time is pitiful and does little to help build my character. Plus once I have enough boons there so many particle effects going off I can barely see what's happening and I'm blindly button mashing. I feel like I'm missing something. Maybe it is just a case of perservering, but I can only deal with attempting one run per session. -_-

Don’t sweat it. I’m something like 45 runs in and haven’t got past the third area boss yet.  My main problem is I can’t really have any long sessions so I don’t get into that ‘flow’ state where things just click. If I get an hour unbroken then I’m doing well, I could try handheld I guess but I’ve got joycon drift.  Thing is I’m still enjoying the game.  I definitely spread my efforts too thinly early on, there were probably twenty runs where I was mostly interested in collecting keys just to unlock all of the weapons and I had more fun doing that than I would have done banging my head against a boss.  

I did the final boss after 50-60 runs having been beaten by him 3 or 4 times. I got him with pixels left on my last health bar, which was a massive relief! I still want to play it to unlock more titan blood. The blitz disc is interesting but I just love the magnetic cutter on the fists. Another GOTY vote right here.

Playing on switch but own steam also.

I can get past the final boss with Coronacht or Exagryph, but every time I try to mix it up with one of the melee weapons I’m already in a bad way long before I get to them.

The final upgrade to Varatha looks really relevant to my interests but the health penalty is insane, and I need stacks more titan blood before I dare take it for a spin...

2 hours ago, SonOfSoAngry said:

I can get past the final boss with Coronacht or Exagryph, but every time I try to mix it up with one of the melee weapons I’m already in a bad way long before I get to them.

The final upgrade to Varatha looks really relevant to my interests but the health penalty is insane, and I need stacks more titan blood before I dare take it for a spin...

I bought that hidden aspect and I kinda regret it. Feels like the possible healing doesn’t really make up for the health penalty. That said, I only tried a single run with it.

Yes, I finally made it on run 34! I had the spinning Zeus aspect shield with double lightning bolt boons which is a hovering death machine for bosses, but it still went right down to the wire. I had hoped I might be free from the cycle of addiction now, but I can already feel the urge for another run...

Yep, same here. The various weapon upgrades change things significantly.

My right hand is pretty fucked from holding the controller too tightly and hammering the attack button.

This game.

1 hour ago, NickC said:

Yep, same here. The various weapon upgrades change things significantly.

My right hand is pretty fucked from holding the controller too tightly and hammering the attack button.

This game.

Haha, I've been getting headaches and I think it's to do with clenching my jaw too much playing this. Getting old sucks!

Aaaand Victory! :D

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.5cf5acc609427a15b2c494fec1cdabbd.png

24 runs and I managed it with an awesome shield and doom build. I was sure I wasn't going to make it when I reached the last boss, before gradually realising how well things were going.

17 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Aaaand Victory! :D

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.5cf5acc609427a15b2c494fec1cdabbd.png

24 runs and I managed it with an awesome shield and doom build. I was sure I wasn't going to make it when I reached the last boss, before gradually realising how well things were going.

Just...how? Do you use god mode? On my 32nd run I finally scraped out of Elysium last night after a painfully protracted battle, but promptly died a few rooms into the next area...my health just suddenly depleted in 3 seconds, for no apparent reason. I don't think I'm ever going to manage.