Hades - Buy it immediately - Slay the Spire X Bayonetta. Ish.

You won't automatically start winning because your character is getting stronger, no, but it should get easier when you've got some mirror upgrades and get a feel for which upgrades work well together and how to deal with the enemies once you've seen them a few times. Would be worth trying out some of the other weapons also. I know a few people have said they were getting trounced repeatedly until they switched it up and found one that clicked for them. Personally I've only won with the bow and the spear so far, so no idea how I'd do with the more in your face melee weapons. 

I've clocked it.  I think it's super good for all the reasons previously stated but I've found it almost impossible to clear without the gun weapon.  The others just end up in too much damage being taken.  I can clear the first two worlds without taking a hit with the gun.  

At one point I thought it works eclipse Deadcells, but not quite for me.  I'm really hankering to get back to that.  

It's a 100% lock for my number 2 GotY behind TLOU 2.

I've now escaped with each weapon. Wondering whether to call it a day now as that was *chef's kiss*.

In the end the weapons themselves didn't matter as much as 1) the boons I got and focusing on ones that automatically hit the enemies while I dashed about like a loon and spammed cast and 2) learning enemies' moves to avoid them using dash. That makes it sound bad and a game easy to cheese, but I loved every second.

I almost killed Theseus. Somehow I completely fucked up at the end when he went beserk and I lost both of my death defiances. I’m crap at dodging.

I’m having the best luck with fists at the moment but might change to something else for the next run.

Also, I’m still going through it a bit randomly as I can’t remember what the door symbols mean or which boons are associated with which gods.

It’s the mix of learning what works with each weapon, and then adjusting your play style around the boons — at first I hated

using the close up melee weapons and did badly because I was trying to play as though I had range, but once I switched that up and then

adjusted which boon choices I took when they turned up I started to do better with pretty much every run. Doesn’t mean you can’t have

”bad runs” every once in a while*, but does also give you an appreciation for the wider than usual play arc of the game.

*eat more fibre, fewer kebabs.

7 hours ago, Bucky said:

I've clocked it.  I think it's super good for all the reasons previously stated but I've found it almost impossible to clear without the gun weapon.  The others just end up in too much damage being taken.  I can clear the first two worlds without taking a hit with the gun.  

At one point I thought it works eclipse Deadcells, but not quite for me.  I'm really hankering to get back to that.  

It's a 100% lock for my number 2 GotY behind TLOU 2.

It’s weird as the the gun and bow were the weapons I struggled most with. The gun is the weapon I’ve got the least clears with.

Seeing the word "Bayonetta" in the title made me click this topic and I realised I'd seen the atwork for the game quite a few times on Steam but never looked into it properly. I'm not usually a fan of rogue-likes, I've gotten into Dead Cells and Binding of Isaac on and off but there were so many times I'd put a couple of hours into them only to feel that they were completely wasted by making a stupid mistake during a boss fight. I've barely scratched the surface of Hades in terms of upgrades etc. but after playing for a few hours I really don't want to put it down. I'd been planning on trying to reset my messed up sleep pattern by staying awake rather than sleeping until 3 or 4pm and this feels like the perfect excuse to do it tonight. What a game!

1 hour ago, NickyDrinks said:

Seeing the word "Bayonetta" in the title made me click this topic and I realised I'd seen the atwork for the game quite a few times on Steam but never looked into it properly. I'm not usually a fan of rogue-likes, I've gotten into Dead Cells and Binding of Isaac on and off but there were so many times I'd put a couple of hours into them only to feel that they were completely wasted by making a stupid mistake during a boss fight. I've barely scratched the surface of Hades in terms of upgrades etc. but after playing for a few hours I really don't want to put it down. I'd been planning on trying to reset my messed up sleep pattern by staying awake rather than sleeping until 3 or 4pm and this feels like the perfect excuse to do it tonight. What a game!

Me on the other hand woke up at 4am and immediately went to play Hades 

Had my most fun run ever earlier, using the fists. I got a Duo boon that added lightning to Festive Fog. Also a lightning bolt after every dash, Zeus’s call, a boon that added a lightning bolt every time a lightning effect happened, and jolt. Think I had hangover on my special, too. It was so much fun just dashing everywhere and unloading all my electrical goodness. The final boss went down in a couple of minutes and I still had half my first life left! I’ve now escaped with all the weapons and have unlocked a couple of hidden aspects. Am currently experimenting with some Heat runs.

Is it possible to best Hades while afk? Here's an amazing run going only for revenge style boons to see if you can beat the last boss without touching the controller.. 

Skip to 36mins for final fight... 

Apparently I ended up playing for 9 hours straight after just loading it up to see if it was going to be my kind of thing. The guide video posted earlier in the thread was very useful as even after playing for that amount of time I didn't really pick up on what each icon meant, especially the pomegranate. I'm still just pretty much randomly selecting which boons to head for but I imagine that once you get to really know them and unlock all the weapons the possibilities are crazy. That element of the game does remind me of Bayonetta, choosing which weapons to combine with which abiliities to create a build which suits your playstyle and makes you feel unstoppable.

Four more attempts tonight and still not beaten third level, but think it clicked a bit on my final attempt. Managed to keep out of Theseus’ sights much better. Investing more in offensive boobs is definitely the way to go too - tips in here are useful. 

3 hours ago, spanx said:

Four more attempts tonight and still not beaten third level, but think it clicked a bit on my final attempt. Managed to keep out of Theseus’ sights much better. Investing more in offensive boobs is definitely the way to go too - tips in here are useful. 

Whatever you do, you must ALWAYS invest in offensive boobs.

On 08/10/2020 at 18:07, Gabzy said:

I did it! I DID IT!!! 42 runs in, man that felt SO good :omg: God bless those beautiful fists.

Have now beaten it with all 6 weapons ^_^ I'm loving the end game stuff as well, it just keeps on giving and I'm desperate to go back in after every run. What a game!

I’m on about 20 runs now. I can often get to the third boss but always screw it up right at the end.

I’m crap at dodging those circular attacks. Even with Megaera I end up flinging myself into spike traps or other enemy projectiles.

Is it better to go for death defiance or stubborn defiance (I haven’t maxed death defiance yet).

4 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

I’m on about 20 runs now. I can often get to the third boss but always screw it up right at the end.

I’m crap at dodging those circular attacks. Even with Megaera I end up flinging myself into spike traps or other enemy projectiles.

Is it better to go for death defiance or stubborn defiance (I haven’t maxed death defiance yet).

Easily death defiance, but max it out as soon as you can. With a certain keepsake you can effectively make it four. 

42 minutes ago, GoblinUK said:

Got my first clear on round 32 and a second straight away on 33. That’s the rail gun and the spear done. What a game!

I still don’t seem to have unlocked any aspects though. 

You will once you've unlocked all the weapons. 

2 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

I’ve just upgraded my shield to Aspect of Chaos and other than the shield turning into a huge eyeball I can’t see any changes.  It’s supposed to generate bonus shields after a Bull Rush but it still just throws one out. Am I missing something? 

After you do a bull rush you get a pink sparkling effect around your character. While you have the pink sparks, the next special you do will throw a second shield. It happened once or twice in that clip but you were going too fast to see it clearly. Do the bull rush once to install it, then do a special at any time while you have the pink sparks. You keep the buff until you next do a special, you don't need to do it immediately after the bull rush.  If you throw the special at nothing you can see the second shield a bit more clearly. It's a bit  harder to see the Windjammers-esque after image on the second shield as it has a bit of a semi-transparent ghost effect on it. Just did my first ever run with the shield to get a Titan's Blood just to test this. :)

Around 50 runs now and fairly consistently hitting the final boss. 

I think I should probably be trying to plan/focus my runs a bit more. I mostly just pick whatever one sounds fun each time, without thinking much about the others I have and how they might work together.