Hades - Buy it immediately - Slay the Spire X Bayonetta. Ish.

9 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Hang on - duo boon?

You can tell the first times you get offered them as you get a dialogue involving two gods - they show up in a green colour when choosing a boon. 

I've hit a bit of a wall, I think quite normally for these kind of games. I just feel like I'm... shit at it. When it gets busy I just die, and I can't really keep up with what's going on. Like last night I was playing and I had a boon that caused 900% damage to armoured enemies when doing a dash strike. But after a while I got kind of reverse muscle memory and could NOT do dash attacks. Just a weird stress reaction I guess.

Problem is I BLOODY LOVE IT, so I just keep batting away like a fly against a window, every so often making it to a ritual sacrifice at the hands of Theseus and the Minotaur before spending a bit more darkness getting microscopically stronger.

I will fucking beat it though. One day. 35 runs down now and getting the level three boss is my furthest

17 minutes ago, spanx said:

I've hit a bit of a wall, I think quite normally for these kind of games. I just feel like I'm... shit at it. When it gets busy I just die, and I can't really keep up with what's going on. Like last night I was playing and I had a boon that caused 900% damage to armoured enemies when doing a dash strike. But after a while I got kind of reverse muscle memory and could NOT do dash attacks. Just a weird stress reaction I guess.

Problem is I BLOODY LOVE IT, so I just keep batting away like a fly against a window, every so often making it to a ritual sacrifice at the hands of Theseus and the Minotaur before spending a bit more darkness getting microscopically stronger.

I will fucking beat it though. One day. 35 runs down now and getting the level three boss is my furthest

I've only just started using the environment to my advantage. Get behind a pillar and Theseus can't hit you with his spear, for example. Same for those irritating archers in Elysium. Figure out how long you get after an enemy attacks before they attack again, and in that period you can go apeshit on them.

And, of course, the obvious (final boss spoiler):

Spoiler

Fuck-off laser from Hades

So yeah, using the environment and thinking more strategically is usually helping when I have low health.

Second clear last night using the Spear. I'm currently on a Sword run that's not going very well in terms of Boons - I have no idea how I'm going to beat the final boss using a weapon where I need to be close to him to hit him. If I even get there!

With 65 hours clocked in two weeks, I think I’m getting near fully saturated with this. What an awesome game this has been and a game that took me by surprise. 
With it being as story driven as it is, the game kinda deflated after the credit run. The end-game stuff is fun and challenging but the story progress rate has crawled to almost a stand still with a very slight story progression every other run. 

If Hades wont recieve any type of expansions it’ll end up as a game I’m pleased to say I’ve completed but I don’t think I’ll spend a lot more time with it as it stands. In this regard I find Binding of Isaac a lot more rewarding game to play in the long run as it has a lot more item and weapon variation, routes and endings to unlock, on top of different characters to play as and another mode of play. 

Hades is still my strongest goty contender, mind, and I think that only Cyberpunk has the chance to beat it for me.

That’s insane. My best run is just shy of 23 minutes but on that run I had to clear four hallways on the final level which means I might’ve been able to clear it at around 21 minutes had I found the dogfood in the first hallway.

Doing a run around 3x faster seems bonkers to me.

I just reached what I assume was the last boss, and almost beat it first time too!

Spoiler

I got his second health bar about two thirds down, before getting hit and reduced to one hit point. I didn't long after that.

Ha, just wasted a death defiance on a very promising run by

Spoiler

"borrowing" from Charon. :D First time I've seen that option. I thought it might be a perk because I've forged a bond with him, but no, he was quite upset.

Also got my second clear! Finally won with the bow. :D 

Went all in on Aphrodite and got her keepsake on the first boon. Also got the Chaos boon that makes your special do 85%(!) extra damage. Poseidon dash and cast did good work, I think they're especially strong in Styx, where it's wall splat city. Special was the MVP by an enormous distance though. Eventually got Heartbreak Flourish up to level 14, don't think I've had one above level 6 before, The sweet nectar duo boon that adds a level to your Poms helped a lot with that. Also upgraded the special to fire more shots and do more damage on consecutive hits. That combined with Aphrodite's call meant I could stun Hades and then do 1000 backstab damage with a point blank special. Had two death defiances and Skelly's keepsake still left at the end. I've hit the same tipping point I did with Spire where I've gone from playing cautiously to avoid dying to playing a bit more aggressively and risky to make a more powerful build. The other big change was deciding to stop being a wuss and stop taking the Cerberus keepsake, playing with lower health in exchange for more cash/upgrades/damage etc. No point having loads of health if you can't kill anything. It's clicking now. :)

Spoiler

20201009020239_1.thumb.jpg.a9e2f448b5ef1dd5ba518fc926eed45f.jpg

Quick question for folk.

How does this play on Switch handheld mode?

It looks great visually but hearing that in handheld it does it a bit of a disservice on the smaller screen which is how I would play.

Also I've struggled with "rogue like" games before when I get frustrated at losing all my gear etc and never get it back but from what I've read this does that side really well, how frustrating is that side.

I enjoyed both Bastion and Transistor form these guys before but I'm hesitant on this one.

12 minutes ago, memories said:

Quick question for folk.

It looks great visually but hearing that in handheld it does it a bit of a disservice on the smaller screen which is how I would play.

Also I've struggled with "rogue like" games before when I get frustrated at losing all my gear etc and never get it back but from what I've read this does that side really well, how frustrating is that side.

I enjoyed both Bastion and Transistor form these guys before but I'm hesitant on this one.

I've played almost exclusively (50 hours +) in handheld and think it plays great. I have hori joycons so ymmv with the original joycons but i think handheld mode is fine. 

I think they've done a great job of making sure that every run gives you something towards a permanent power upgrade so you don't ever feel like you are starting from zero every run. 

In short... Buy it! :)

6 minutes ago, Muz said:

I think they've done a great job of making sure that every run gives you something towards a permanent power upgrade so you don't ever feel like you are starting from zero every run.

This is key I think. Every run you get a mixture of power-ups for that run, and different currencies to spend back at home on permanent improvements. You are always a little bit more powerful than last time.

11 hours ago, mikeyl said:

Anyone unlocked the bottom row of that trinkets page if so how?

Yeah, you simply need to get bonded with certain characters by gifting them and eventually they’ll unlock.

47 minutes ago, memories said:

Quick question for folk.

It’s amazing, amazing, amazing. 

It’s now gone for me from one of the best games this year, to one of the best this gen, and now, one of my favourite games of all time. 

37 runs now and I've only gotten to world 3 boss once. Is that horrendous? I still often die at the Meg battle too. Am I doing something wrong? @robdood know of any good tip videos that's more at an intermediate level as opposed to your splendid beginner video?  

Love it in this when you get a boon that you just know is going to lead to an escape. Just got a duo boon that

Spoiler

makes red cast diamonds emit endless lightning bolts to nearby enemies.

All I need now is to get some more Zeus boons, or upgrade the ones I have, or maybe add an extra cast and I'll be unstoppable!

29 minutes ago, Capwn said:

37 runs now and I've only gotten to world 3 boss once. Is that horrendous? I still often die at the Meg battle too. Am I doing something wrong? @robdood know of any good tip videos that's more at an intermediate level as opposed to your splendid beginner video?  

Just play it you’ll be fine. That’s the thing with this game - it’s just got this very intuitive visual design. At first I was like what does this do, what ‘build’ should I use, but honestly the more I just went with flow and tweaked bits here and there when I felt like, I improved, and my appreciation for the game increased. 

For me it’s all about that deflect, everything I do pushes back, deflects, jolts. It’s glorious mayhem. 

I wouldn't be too disheartened. Lots of people take more than 40-50 runs to get their first win and you will be getting stronger each time as people have mentioned. You just need to try and split your attention evenly, which takes practise. You need to keep an eye on the whole screen rather than just the specific enemy you're facing. With the Meg Fight, I stopped dying there by spending one attempt just focusing on not getting hit. She only has four attacks she can do, so just sit and observe what she does for a bit before you even try and do damage. Once you've got that you should be able to see where the openings are. Also you don't need to panic when she's doing the red circles thing. One dash is usually enough to get you out of it. Take a moment to see where the "exit" is and pick your move, rather than mashing dash frantically when you see it. After she does her dash attack where she runs straight at you, she does a little back flip while she's recovering. This is a free opportunity to hit her. Most of the enemies and bosses have little tells and weaknesses in their offense like that and you just need to train yourself to look for them.

Also in act 1 you want to be quite aggressive with upgrades rather than healing and max HP where possible. It’s the easiest bit and you can usually get most of the health back over the course of the run anyway, so you want to invest in getting stronger.  100-150 health is plenty in my experience and it’s more important to have the right boons  and upgrades to kill things quickly than it is to have health. Theseus can’t kill you if he’s DEAD. 

I feel like there's a lot of luck involved re: which boons you're offered. I've had some totally shit runs lately, whilst earlier runs were a cakewalk. If I'm still manually drawing my bow and there's no deflect by the time I reach Meg, I'm basically screwed. Not sure if there's a tactic to ensure you get better stuff?

I've done 23 runs and have reached bully boy twice.

Got a new clear record at 21m 07s with 8 Heat from the bounty board. I barely survived the last level as I had the Gain 2 HP pr hit skill but at reduced total HP. Those poison spitting enemies had my 80 hp plummeting but got to Hades with one death defiance unused and just got him with 6hp remaining.

It’s these at the edge of the seat/sweaty palms runs that makes this game so fun. 

9 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

I feel like there's a lot of luck involved re: which boons you're offered. I've had some totally shit runs lately, whilst earlier runs were a cakewalk. If I'm still manually drawing my bow and there's no deflect by the time I reach Meg, I'm basically screwed. Not sure if there's a tactic to ensure you get better stuff?

I've done 23 runs and have reached bully boy twice.

You can always start a run with one of the God keepsakes which guarantee you at least one God boon each level. Just remember to swap it for another God boon between levels.
I tend to stay away from rooms that give extra HP as your survivability is better when kitted with a couple of extra boons as opposef to a couple extra hearts.

The best room you can get is where there are two gods and you have to choose a boon from either god. This will start a fight that can be a bit chaotic but once cleared you’ll get the other boon as well which makes it worth the risk.

Yeah, I've done a terrible job with the keepsakes. For ages I was handing my nectar to the first person I came across. I have hardly any of the keepsakes from the gods because I didn't realise you could hand them to the orbs in chambers till recently. I'm trying to rectify that asap. Currently doing a run which is going considerably better.

Agreed that a strong attack is the best defence. I can get by with minimal health upgrades if I can destroy everything almost immediately.

I'm wondering about investing that blood item into weapons. It seems like such a rare item, I'm worried I might squander it. I suppose you can always collect more, but I've not had it drop recently.

11 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

Yeah, I've done a terrible job with the keepsakes. ... I have hardly any of the keepsakes from the gods because I didn't realise you could hand them to the orbs in chambers till recently. I'm trying to rectify that asap.

I really need to make a list of all the gods and their icons so I can mark up which I've given nectar too. Unless I'm missing a simple way to do that. Maybe the codex actually helps. Keep forgetting.

41 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

I really need to make a list of all the gods and their icons so I can mark up which I've given nectar too. Unless I'm missing a simple way to do that. Maybe the codex actually helps. Keep forgetting.

The codex will show you wether you’ve donated nectar or not!

Was listening to TCGS this week where three presenters where discussing Hades and then two of them announced that they used God mode that gives you a small buff each time. I was like WTF at first but have to admit it's tempting as I really don't feel I'm getting stronger every single time. Otherwise surely I would be slaughtering Meg (and co) every single time? 

Yet to use God mode still feels wrong to me, I'm not quite there just yet.