Hades - Buy it immediately - Slay the Spire X Bayonetta. Ish.

Yeah, it's just, I think I saw '4 chambers' on another boon, so I wondered what the difference is? It seemed to stick around way longer than I was expecting. Oh well. I've not been that into the Chaos boons so far. Probably better for casts which I've not been using at all.

Just in a chew the fat way, here are some questions i am not sure of:

Spoiler

What is the point of talking to the dead people who reveal how they died?

why would i do up my room as i am intending to leave?

What am i supposed to do regarding improvement and the three fates?

1 hour ago, Number 28 said:

Yeah, it's just, I think I saw '4 chambers' on another boon, so I wondered what the difference is? It seemed to stick around way longer than I was expecting. Oh well. I've not been that into the Chaos boons so far. Probably better for casts which I've not been using at all.

Perhaps you're thinking of the items you can buy from the wells?  Chaos' boons can be insanely good.  Give him some nectar, get his keepsake on, and go hunting! :D

1 hour ago, Jonnysaxc said:

Just in a chew the fat way, here are some questions i am not sure of:

Hide contents

What is the point of talking to the dead people who reveal how they died?

why would i do up my room as i am intending to leave?

What am i supposed to do regarding improvement and the three fates?

Spoiler

1. Is just for some flavour / fun

2. You'll find out eventually. 

3. I'm not sure what this means exactly - do you mean the Furies, rather than the fates? 

@robdood I need you expertise.

Spoiler

On the final floor, once you've found the Satyr sack for Cerberus, do you usually explore the remaining tunnels or do you just leave? I'm not sure if generally leaving if I have fullish health is holding me back in the final fight.

48 minutes ago, Gabzy said:

@robdood I need you expertise.

Hide contents

On the final floor, once you've found the Satyr sack for Cerberus, do you usually explore the remaining tunnels or do you just leave? I'm not sure if generally leaving if I have fullish health is holding me back in the final fight.

Sometime I do, sometimes I don't - depends how good my build is for clearing those pesky tiny rooms.  I feel you though, an unlucky boss room can totally screw you up for the last boss.  

Once you're happy with your build and you got the sack, GET OUTTA THERE. 

23 escapes now and unlocked the hidden aspects of two of the weapons, one of the weapons basically renders the game easy while the other wepons’ final aspect makes it a lot more challenging. 
Can’t wait to unlock the hidden aspects for the remaining weapons as the first two really mixed things up in a good way. 
Best clear time so far is 22m 50s, using one of the hidden aspect weapons, but I rarely spend more than 28-29 minutes per run now. The main reason is a specific keepsake that makes you a LOT more powerful than without it, no matter what build you go for.

I fucking did him. What a game. I actually feel like I've been through hell upon completing it. I didn't have the best build but adapted my tactics as I went through the fight and scraped through. 

Ejl384eVoAAS1sI.thumb.jpg.8e17a5424cc4f8d67b9f4befa632bda1.jpgI f

Frustrating second day.

Couldn’t play much with work. One run before work saw me get the furthest ever, with Bone Hydra down to about 60%. Great. Was my first run with the Adamant Rail and got the boon to split of the special into 5 bombs right at the start. Complete and utter insanity with the screen basically exploding constantly.

But the other 3 runs have stalled on Meg (or a sister). Frustrating as by the end of yesterday I was knocking her down easily. Just rushing a bit I think and screwing it up.

Got to the last boss for the first time today with a deflect heavy build: bonus damage on deflect, dash deflect, special deflect. Some extremely silly shenanigans when I would dash through a bunch of projectiles and then everything would die. Super fun.

57 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Frustrating second day.

Couldn’t play much with work. One run before work saw me get the furthest ever, with Bone Hydra down to about 60%. Great. Was my first run with the Adamant Rail and got the boon to split of the special into 5 bombs right at the start. Complete and utter insanity with the screen basically exploding constantly.

But the other 3 runs have stalled on Meg (or a sister). Frustrating as by the end of yesterday I was knocking her down easily. Just rushing a bit I think and screwing it up.

Take it back. One quick run before bed sees Hydra down and up to the mini boss in world 3 :lol:

It's a bit odd how people tend to ace the Hyrdra and get stuck on Meg. I was the same.

Not played this nearly enough, too many games to play. If it wasn't for me staking my GOTY as Lair of the Clockwork God Hades would probably be it. Although it could have been my GOTY last year or the year before, because I'm not a Jonny Come Lately Switch peasant.*

*Don't tear reaction me, I love you all really <3

Just now, moosegrinder said:

It's a bit odd how people tend to ace the Hyrdra and get stuck on Meg. I was the same.

Not played this nearly enough, too many games to play. If it wasn't for me staking my GOTY as Lair of the Clockwork God Hades would probably be it. Although it could have been my GOTY last year or the year before, because I'm not a Jonny Come Lately Switch peasant.*

*Don't tear reaction me, I love you all really <3

Hydra feels like a much more static controllable fight. You can even just chill and do very little for a while and keep safe.

Meg(and her sisters) have a lot more going on. I find I'm struggling to avoid damage in th long term and do damage to her. Therefore it's almost a fight of attrition for me.

It's so great how different each weapon, and even each aspect within each weapon, feels so different. Runs don't feel repetitive at all - you can either focus on using the same weapon and improving with it, or change it up and play the game a completely different way. The boons and hammers then add to that even more!

I've now done a clear with each weapon - I didn't really get on with the sword or rail so ignored them completely but tried them for the quest and now absolutely love them! 

Also, among the many amazing bits in the game, possibly my favourite:

Spoiler

Lernie!!

Pretty much every weapon I've thought was rubbish on the first go with it, then I end up really enjoying.  I've only just unlocked the 6th weapon, and hated it.  Had a quick go with it and almost beat the Hydra, even though I was finding Meg impossible earlier on with my more favoured weapons.

I'm not enjoying the third area yet, everything takes too long to go down.

2 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

I'm not enjoying the third area yet, everything takes too long to go down.

Yeah it's hard.  You kinda need to make sure your upgrades collected in world 1 and 2 are geared up for those encounters, really.  It's why I almost always take a Hammer upgrade that increases armour damage (or the items from the purple wells!)

Last night I escaped for the first time. And it felt absolutely brilliant.

I very nearly didn't buy this. I never got on with Supergiant's earlier games, often feeling like I was missing something. I'm also getting on a bit and my reactions, never particularly good, are pretty slow these days. I've always played games to immerse myself in other worlds rather than hitting high scores.

But from the first minute, even though I found it incredibly challenging, often hitting bosses and thinking 'I'll never be able to do this', this game has completely grabbed me. It's definitely something to do with the story, the polish and the gameplay loop. It's that extraordinarily well considered journey from bloodbath to bedroom to weapons to new game. It's the sheer fun of discovering new spins on familiar weapons. But the thing it gets right more than anything, I think, is the progression. I don't think I've ever played a game that presents walls of difficulty that seem impossible to scale and then - without really seeming to do anything specific - teaches you to climb them.

It's easily my game of the year and just at a point when I'm struggling to get excited for two new consoles I should be eagerly anticipating. What a game.

Just now, Bobbi Champagne Jr said:

You'll get boons that affect it differently, and some are completely game changing. 

Ah ok fair enough - will keep an eye out.  Loving this though.  Made it to Floor 3 yesterday after getting past Hydra first time with the bow.  Now struggling to get pastMeg again... 

It's amazing how much better you get just through playing. I remember early on reading @robdood talk about beating Meg without getting hit. I never had a huge issue with Meg, the two bastards at the end of Elysium were my wall, but even then I thought he was either an elite level gamer or chatting absolute shit. But now I can basically get through to the last area on one health bar doing any version of the Meg fight basically perfectly, through a mixture of in game upgrades and outside of game brain ones.

It's properly got that thing both of Kojima's recent games have got where it feels like every time you play there's something new which makes it easier/more fun and propels you to being about to get new fun stuff to then do more on your next run. The gameplay loop is so satisfying. 

And now reached the final bosses of World 3 on my third run passed the Hydra. Did not go well! Feeling more comfortable with each area now. On this run Meg was a bit of a push over. I think so long as I have some range on my weapon (spear, rifle, shield) I can deal with her okay now.

I feel like I need to make a Meg guide. 

She has four moves, man!

(don't get me wrong, she battered me for a while too, but once I figured her out I felt a bit silly)

37 minutes ago, robdood said:

I feel like I need to make a Meg guide. 

She has four moves, man!

(don't get me wrong, she battered me for a while too, but once I figured her out I felt a bit silly)

I've watched a few since beating her a few times and found it useful not so much for what they had to say but being able to take a little time to look at the boss and see the telegraphs a little better. In many ways it's about just being there enough and seeing the patterns to avoid getting overwhelmed/stressed and reacting without thinking. "Oh no circles, dash around the whole room like crazy" when it's really "circles, dash once (maybe twice) at the right time".

But there are other factors from general play that start to help more than just knowing the Meg fight:

* Better movement: When to dash to avoid damage, dashing over traps, etc

* Multitasking/Awareness: In hand with improved movement is seeing more. Taking in the whole screen.

* Better boons: Picking more effectively (either to suit your preferred playstyle or the way this run is panning out)

* Better mirror upgrades: I have more health and more casts than when I first made it

Another day with a little more progress in a few snatched runs. Back to the world 3 bosses twice from two runs. Once I got the Minotaur half way down, then the second I got him down and the guy half way. Was running the sword which I don’t love and didn’t have great ranged options. Really dig how you just make progress somehow. Which I guess is just me getting better (plus a few tiny upgrades).

What I think really makes the game is that everything important is unlocked upfront... or very quickly afterwards (weapons). Within no time you have all the basic tools and just go at it. No holding the best abilities behind 10 hours of play having started out completely gimped. It just trusts that the gameplay and the randomness of runs with boons is enough of a hook. And it is.