Hades - Buy it immediately - Slay the Spire X Bayonetta. Ish.

9 hours ago, robdood said:

In other news, LOL I just 'borrowed' something..  

Reveal hidden contents

It cost all my Death Defiances but I juuuuust scraped it first try.  :D  Now I've sussed him a bit, should be worth doing in future! 

Meg's probably going to kill me.  I have 8hp left. 

My borrowing session lasted about 5 seconds so you did amazingly well! only seen it once so far

Man this game is so freaking good, have decided to try and level up some more keepsakes while trying heat level 1 (heat is a system you unlock after first clear) to get some more blood and diamonds. 

Been upgrading the charon well keepsake - it's actually amazing! For like almost no money, getting an additional cast, or extra damage, for like 15 encounters, is so great!  

I just cleared asphodel with 'enemies take 500% trap damage', combined with pushback of Posedions cast, I was flattening rooms in seconds :D

3 minutes ago, Gabzy said:

Arghhh I got to the final boss twice in a row this morning and still couldn't do it :( had a quarter of a health bar to go... dammnit! I'm making this my mission this weekend.

You can do it! Just try and zone out your vision and concentrate mainly on dodging all the extra shit! 

1 minute ago, Number 28 said:

It took me 8 escape attempts to reach the second area...am I total dogshit at this game? :unsure:

Btw, does Zagreus remind anyone else of VaatiVidya? He's American, but the way he says 'mate' to Charon...

*mate*, it took me about 35-40 to finish, so I think you're doing OK. 

On 02/10/2020 at 09:48, robdood said:

The switched version of that upgrade might be more useful for you!

(you have realised you can switch them at the mirror, right?)

WHAT!!!

50 runs and I did not realise you could switch talents at the mirror!

I saw some people say they beat Meg on their second attempt. I tend to panic and dash around like a headless chicken whilst a thousand projectiles bounce around the room. Ah well, I just need to beef him up a bit. I only just noticed I can switch the mirror skills. It's difficult to know what to invest in.

Oh, in Hades courtyard, I noticed a random weapon seems to have purple smoke coming off it? Do you get some sort of a darkness bonus for using it?

1 minute ago, Number 28 said:

I saw some people say they beat Meg on their second attempt. I tend to panic and dash around like a headless chicken whilst a thousand projectiles bounce around the room. Ah well, I just need to beef him up a bit. I only just noticed I can switch the mirror skills. It's difficult to know what to invest in.

Oh, in Hades courtyard, I noticed a random weapon seems to have purple smoke coming off it? Do you get some sort of a darkness bonus for using it?

Yes you get 20% more darkness. There’s a house upgrade later for it to also give gemstones I think. 

Don’t worry about how many attempts others are taking. It took ages for it to click for me, just try and learn something new each run and you’ll gradually get stronger and better. 

6 minutes ago, Nosejam said:

WHAT!!!

50 runs and I did not realise you could switch talents at the mirror!

Well if you've not been talking to Nyx then you might not be able to! 

Like seriously everyone, listen to what the npcs say and you'll find everything is explained! 

8 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

It literally says that on the screen if you stand in front of the weapon!! 

(sorry am a bit pissed!) 

Haha, that's ok, I probably didn't stand there. I've not been a fan of the other weapons so far, just been sticking to the sword mostly. This is quite an information-dense game, go easy. ;)

I currently have Cursed Slash which gives me -60% health, but 2hp every time I hit anything, which so far is making me feel almost invincible...

Edit: Jim Sterling loved the game, btw. Nice review here *Spoiler warning since footle brings it up*

He walked around rather than just jumping off Eurydice’s platform. Review immediately invalid.

there are a lot of spoilers in the video though if you’re precious about the plot or what happens after your first successful run.

i think he’s persuaded me that Edge underrated it though (I’ll not subtweet Rudderless ;-) ), and I have passed 100 runs now...

I just escaped on my 29th attempt.

A few points of reassurance and tips for people finding it tricky:

1) I thought I was doing quite badly up until around attempt 20. Turns out I wasn't doing badly at all, I was just learning the game.

2) After plugging away for around 20 hours, the game really seemed to open up. I got new, very helpful and unexpected powers offered to me, and all the various upgrades I'd purchased started paying dividends.

3) I spent the first 15 or so attempts trying to perfect a single weapon I was convinced was perfect for me. This was a mistake, I think. The game rewards you to mix it up and try different weapons. I actually escaped using a weapon for the first time. My approach now is to use whatever weapon is offering a bonus, and enjoy playing with each of them. One thing I didn't quite understand before is that each weapon allows you to obtain some very different abilities. It's a lot of fun finding out what they all are so mix it up!

Hit 10 clears last night and then ran a few more this morning. It's fascinating how much easier it gets after that first clear without actually changing in a meaningful gameplay way. The biggest hurdle is in the mind.

Though I've purposefully had to avoid just defaulting to Crystal Beam because it's way too easy to rely on that.

Currently running a build based on actually using Bull Rush to defend, inflict chill and then throw a doom-inflicting special. With Privileged Status, it's making everything explode after hitting me for no damage.

Is there somewhere to see how many runs you’ve done? I couldn’t find anywhere but sure I saw someone doing it somehow.

About 3/4 hours play for the first time this morning and I finally beat Meg. Enjoying the shield weapon a lot but need to avoid getting attached and trying new things.

4 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Is there somewhere to see how many runs you’ve done? I couldn’t find anywhere but sure I saw someone doing it somehow.

About 3/4 hours play for the first time this morning and I finally beat Meg. Enjoying the shield weapon a lot but need to avoid getting attached and trying new things.

Your save game, and there’s a scrying pool you can buy for your bedchamber.

I'm in my mid-40's in terms of attempts and regularly reaching the last boss, but just don't seem to be able to get over the line. I have some builds in mind though.

This is definitely game of the year. Cyberpunk isn't going to beat it.

2 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:I have some builds in mind though.

I have some builds in mind though.

While trying to go for specific builds and planning ahead can be a very good thing I’ve had the most powerful builds by chance (specifically when going for the Fated choices as I simply wanted to fulfill the fates). 

So it was Meg down on the 11th run. Beating her on most runs now and done with shield, sword, claws and bow so getting comfortable with a range of styles. My kills are taking a while though. Need to get a bit more aggressive there I think.

I got a boon which earned me 2% health when I kill with my special. Rode that all the way to my first trip to the second world boss (at I think around 15 runs). Only had 14 health left to start it and didn’t last long but really happy to get there.

I’m glad I pushed aside my normal hate/fear/aversion to any combat based game to play this. Really enjoying the gameplay loop as I relax into world one, taking my time.

30 minutes ago, Capwn said:

On 3rd world now and I still never use the call thing (I just can't figure it out) OR the dash-attack, am I mad?

You’d be hard pressed to get to the end without both of them, especially dash but I’ve had casts that eat a boss’s hp a lot faster than I could ever hit them for.

47 minutes ago, Capwn said:

On 3rd world now and I still never use the call thing (I just can't figure it out) OR the dash-attack, am I mad?

The call caught me out at first too, its a bit weird! Basically, as you hit/take damage, the gauge at the bottom will fill up. When it's a quarter full you can press r2 to use it. If it's maxed you do a super version of the call which has extra duration / damage (each call description tells you the specifics). 

The tricky part I didn't get at first is: it resets to zero after you clear a room. 

40 minutes ago, Jonnysaxc said:
  Hide contents

Stuck on meg, not sure im really getting this game tbh

Ah mate! What's tricky about it in particular for you?

She only has a few attacks. Next time you get to her, try and use the fight to learn. Don't attack and only dodge. Learn the attacks, and how long you have to hit her in between / while she's recovering!  If you need to, hit the projectiles she fires later in the fight to destroy them! 

You can do it mate, we believe in you! 

33 minutes ago, Jonnysaxc said:
  Hide contents

Stuck on meg, not sure im really getting this game tbh

This was me two days ago. You just have to stick at it, it will always steadily get easier as you go. Now I'm knocking her every time, and I just did in the...

Spoiler

Hydra on my second attempt. I unlocked Orpheus and a bunch of renovations. Bumped into Eurydice too, in Asphodel.

I'm starting to mix up the weapons too, for that extra 20%, as suggested. I'm a little confused about some of the boon durations, in particular the Chaos ones. I'm seeing stuff like, "-30HP each special for 4 encounters, then 200%+ special' I'm not sure what counts as an encounter because I was cursed for multiple rooms.

4 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

This was me two days ago. You just have to stick at it, it will always steadily get easier as you go. Now I'm knocking her every time, and I just did in the...

Hide contents

Hydra on my second attempt. I unlocked Orpheus and a bunch of renovations. Bumped into Eurydice too, in Asphodel.

I'm starting to mix up the weapons too, for that extra 20%, as suggested. I'm a little confused about some of the boon durations, in particular the Chaos ones. I'm seeing stuff like, "-30HP each special for 4 encounters, then 200%+ special' I'm not sure what counts as an encounter because I was cursed for multiple rooms.

An encounter is any room where you fight enemies. 

The things from chaos will apply the negative effect until you've cleared X amount of fight rooms.  Then you'll get the bonus, and the bad effect removed.