Hades - Buy it immediately - Slay the Spire X Bayonetta. Ish.

2 hours ago, robdood said:

It really is quite straightforward, don't worry about the names!  All effects are explained in-game :)

Most gods have a speciality, and their boons will affect your attacks, cast and dodge to begin.  As you get further they'll start doing additional things, but still fit the speciality. 

I'd never thought about it, but this is possibly one of the only games where my MA in Classical Civilisation and Ancient History is actually helpful, as I've never had to give a second thought to remembering the names or figuring out the foci/personalities of the characters and gods in the game :lol:

I will say that that side of the game has been fabulous, some great (re-)interpretations of characters and myths. I particularly liked Dionysos casually alluding to Theseus being a dickhead and abandoning Ariadne, presented enjoyably subtly and coming from exactly the right god. Very enjoyable stuff throughout.

Wow, got a great bunch of boons going on my last run. I didn't get too far (only the third/fourth chamber of Asphodel) but that was mainly because I was using the Malphon gauntlets for the first time and was getting used to them.

Anyway, I bumped into Ares a couple of times and got Blade Rifts for my cast (Slicing Shot) and start location of my dash (Blade Dash). I then got a couple of Power Poms to upgrade each and I turned into a death machine. As such, I have a theoretical build that I think would really suit me. I can see the value in rolling with the Blood-Filled Vial to get one or both of those earlier-mentioned boons early, then combine it with perhaps the Coronacht so I can dash around between enemies and then stay distant and cast/arrow them.

I'll hold my hands up and say that usually when it comes to games like this, I never really bother researching different build effects for characters and generally go with what feels fun and deal with it. Hades has sunk its claws so deeply into me within the week that I've had it that I am really enjoying looking into each boon, weapon, keepsake and the like and experimenting.

It's going to take something phenomenal to dethrone this as my personal game of the year.

The stream is great! I stopped watching as im new and didn’t want spoilers 

do you get

Spoiler

New powers from the gods on every death? Im gettibg muddled on what is doing what, sometimes i can throw a hangover and then the next power replaced this?

11 minutes ago, Jonnysaxc said:

The stream is great! I stopped watching as im new and didn’t want spoilers 

do you get

Hide contents

New powers from the gods on every death? Im gettibg muddled on what is doing what, sometimes i can throw a hangover and then the next power replaced this?

Was this in response to my stream? Thanks if so!!

Every time you die, you lose all boons. 

When talking with Gods, you can - on occasion - be offered a boon that will replace another you already have.  It clearly says this on the boon screen though. 

image.png.d7bc7ea4c50643a9b0fe7106a236288d.png

1 hour ago, kiroquai said:

Wow, got a great bunch of boons going on my last run. I didn't get too far (only the third/fourth chamber of Asphodel) but that was mainly because I was using the Malphon gauntlets for the first time and was getting used to them.

Anyway, I bumped into Ares a couple of times and got Blade Rifts for my cast (Slicing Shot) and start location of my dash (Blade Dash). I then got a couple of Power Poms to upgrade each and I turned into a death machine. As such, I have a theoretical build that I think would really suit me. I can see the value in rolling with the Blood-Filled Vial to get one or both of those earlier-mentioned boons early, then combine it with perhaps the Coronacht so I can dash around between enemies and then stay distant and cast/arrow them.

I'll hold my hands up and say that usually when it comes to games like this, I never really bother researching different build effects for characters and generally go with what feels fun and deal with it. Hades has sunk its claws so deeply into me within the week that I've had it that I am really enjoying looking into each boon, weapon, keepsake and the like and experimenting.

It's going to take something phenomenal to dethrone this as my personal game of the year.

I got a great Artemis / Ares Duo boon yesterday which made my blade rift casts home in on the nearest opponent.  They would even change direction after said opponent died.  Was unbelievably awesome. 

9 minutes ago, robdood said:

Was this in response to my stream? Thanks if so!!

Every time you die, you lose all boons. 

When talking with Gods, you can - on occasion - be offered a boon that will replace another you already have.  It clearly says this on the boon screen though. 

image.png.d7bc7ea4c50643a9b0fe7106a236288d.png

The one QOL improvement I'd like to see (and am surprised isn't already in there) would be the ability to refer to your current boons list while on that screen.

3 hours ago, Skykid said:

If I can make one criticism - I can't read the word 'boon' without thinking of Michael Elphick.

I think of the 6 notes of the show's theme tune that played before every ad break.

1 minute ago, Eighthours said:

The one QOL improvement I'd like to see (and am surprised isn't already in there) would be the ability to refer to your current boons list while on that screen.

You can. - on Switch, B on PC (iirc).

2 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

You can. Press Select (or equivalent)

22 minutes ago, robdood said:

I got a great Artemis / Ares Duo boon yesterday which made my blade rift casts home in on the nearest opponent.  They would even change direction after said opponent died.  Was unbelievably awesome. 

:o

That's tonight sorted.

13 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

When you're on the 'being offered a Boon' screen? Oooooh.

Yeah, I just assumed you couldn't until someone (robdood, I think) educated me otherwise a couple of days ago. Felt a right prat for not realising sooner :lol:

I’ve escaped with 3 different weapons now: Shield, fists and the rail. 

Didn’t realise but it keeps stats of every escape attempt you’ve done and you can view them with a house upgrade, really cool looking back and seeing how long each run lasted and what boons and upgrades you took.

I thought I would be done after beating it but so much stuff unlocks that makes it even more fun to play. Can see myself playing this for quite some time!

One thing I'm finding slightly frustrating is not being able to see which weapons I've successfully beaten bosses with for trying to get rewards. Unless I'm missing something?

19 minutes ago, Marlew said:

Deleted my shite moaning thread. Just for info. 

Damn, as somebody who's usually the Old Man Shouts At Cloud of gaming discourse as the world falls in love with some absolute bag of shite like RDR2 or TLOU, it was refreshing to be on the opposite side for once! For shame.

Just got the 6th (final?) weapon. Holy shit! So much fun!

I'm only now realising that each game is a completely different experience with each weapon. And the power up and buff combination potentials in this game are VAST.

What a game.

14 minutes ago, Hewson said:

One thing I'm finding slightly frustrating is not being able to see which weapons I've successfully beaten bosses with for trying to get rewards. Unless I'm missing something?

You do get in-game ways to tell, but not until you either unlock the admin room or complete the game the first time.  

Tbh you don't really need to worry about it until after you've finished, you certainly don't NEED any of the stuff you can buy with blood/gems/ambrosia to finish it the first time. 

In the interim, you can tell on the map as you move between stages.  If it shows a ? icon on the next area, you know you've not done it before. 

1 hour ago, Marlew said:

Deleted my shite moaning thread. Just for info. 

Was enjoying everything about that except for the thread moaners! Just because it wasn’t put through a LexisNexis deep search and didn’t achieve 88.7% original syntax within two decades of threads it wasn’t any less enjoyable or valid.

2 hours ago, robdood said:

You do get in-game ways to tell, but not until you either unlock the admin room or complete the game the first time.  

Tbh you don't really need to worry about it until after you've finished, you certainly don't NEED any of the stuff you can buy with blood/gems/ambrosia to finish it the first time. 

In the interim, you can tell on the map as you move between stages.  If it shows a ? icon on the next area, you know you've not done it before. 

So helpful. Thank you - and thanks for the excellent video guide too!

And I’ve finally beaten it with a version of all weapons. And got a streak of two in the middle of that, including a pact. And have also cleared it with all mirror talents so I’m briefly swimming in enough Titan blood to unlock a lot (well, every hidden aspect).

great game. Shame my shield clear was a 56 minute stink the place up deflect, evade and cast with no damage fest, with demeter’s call (rubbish, with no useful additional boons) supplemented by athena’s legendary and the equivalent cheesy keepsake... oh and the boon that returns health after stubborn defiance has been used for the last time...

worth noting that I’m having a lot more success having started to choose particular god keepsakes to tailor my build, rather than just my previous standby of “more damage early on for clearing rooms without being hit”, which doesn’t really work as you get further through the dungeon.

I was offered god mode too, but I was happy just playing the first world until I got better, I never got frustrated. I'm glad they gave the option, there are plenty of other games I'd have opted in to that.