Hades - Buy it immediately - Slay the Spire X Bayonetta. Ish.

Don't think it's worth spoilering. 

Charon's shop right at the end sometimes sells an Anvil, the description before you buy it says "-1 Daedalus Hammer / +2 Daedalus Hammer". 

I thought it would let me swap and choose from a list.  It just randomly strips one and applies two. 

HORRIBLE. 

Remember that as soon as you can do Level 1 with your eyes shut and want to aim your build in a particular way, several of the Keepsakes you can earn mean that your first boon will be from a particular God. So if you want Deflect early and have the right Keepsake from Athena, don't pick your usual health/damage one at first. Choose hers, and then in the very first room you'll get an Athena boon.

You can unlock the ability to switch Keepsakes between levels from the House Contractor, so once you've defeated the Level 1 boss, switch to the one you'd usually pick before you enter Asphodel. Or if you find Level 2 easy, again you can get your next boon from another particular God if you have the right Keepsake, in order to continue to control your build.

I always start a run with the Chthonic Coin Purse as I know I won't need much help clearing Tartarus, you get the coins immediately and then you can swap the keepsake to a more useful one after the Furies. It also helps with the Golden Touch Mirror of Night perk (gain % of your coins after you clear a region).

I always swap to the Lucky Tooth (if i've already used a Death Defiance charge), or the Myrmidon Bracer for the final area.

So many options, such a good game :wub:

And escaped, twice in a row. So after getting to the final boss four times and failing miserably, I went for Neptunes keepsake for the first world, Zeus’ for the second and Artemis’ for the third before swapping it out for the Lucky Tooth. Turned out I didn’t need the tooth as I dominated the final battle and won by using only one respawn.

I quickly started another run using the exact same recipe and ended up escaping without ever dying once.

I was afraid that once escaping isn’t the biggest issue that I’d get bored with the game but luckily there are loads of new mechanics introduced after the first escape.

I’m actually looking forward to playing this even more now and I think Cyberpunk needs to surpass my expectations to be able to be crowned as my goty over this!

31 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I haven't tried any of the God's keepsakes - do they basically just get you one boon from them and then they're useless for the rest of the run?

And he's called Poseidon, you filthy Roman! :quote:

You're kidding. Dude. They're like a passive bonus (except the one that gives you an extra defy death) like extra health, taking no damage from entering Chaos, stuff like that. There's 3 levels to them that you increase by doing x encounters with them equipped.

I'm really liking Thanatos' keepsake (+1 / 1.5 / 2% damage for each fight complete without taking damage), it makes me play hyper defensively and is actually improving my game quite a bit!

Might start doing a weekly stream, I fancy having a go at clearing the game on a fresh save as a challenge. :D

Though perhaps I need to actually suss out lastboss first, I'm really bad at it. 

5 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

You're kidding. Dude. They're like a passive bonus (except the one that gives you an extra defy death) like extra health, taking no damage from entering Chaos, stuff like that. There's 3 levels to them that you increase by doing x encounters with them equipped.

I think he meant the specific god ones, i.e. Athena's keepsake.   They do increase the chances of getting better rarity boons too, though. 

7 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

So I take it from these small number of runs everyone is doing, that I shouldn't be dying left, right and centre and lazily just taking it?

As long as you get better gradually you shouldn’t worry about dying.

Perhaps stick to a weapon you like a lot at first and experiment with the boons, which suits your playstyle the most? 
Before long you’ll crush everything the game can throw at you.

11 minutes ago, choddo said:

I hate Theseus. So much.

I'm very fond of the fact that they took Theseus, most thoroughly punchable of Greek heroes, and turned him into the most thoroughly punchable boss in the game. Excellent work.

There's so many ways to play this but my simplest runs have been from hit and run damage over time setups, especially for Theseus and the the final boss.

Abilities you can drop and then run like Demeter's crystal beam cast (with upgraded tracking and triple cast it is insane), support fire from Artemis, hangover from Dionysus, doom from Ares etc. You can charge in, get a couple of hits, DoT the hell out of them and then dash back away.

41 minutes ago, NickC said:

Sometimes the lost souls have speech bubbles, is that someone you can interact with or is it just to show them babbling away?

You can talk to some of them around the house to get a bit of humour in the form of various causes of death, but that's about it. 

57 minutes ago, NickC said:

This game has definitely got that 'I just ended a run, time for bed... OK I'll just do my upgrade before I finish... well it's only a few more steps to another run...' thing.

damn straight.  Two nights in a row going to bed at 1.30am .......

I escaped for the first time at about 1am and then rather than stop there I did another run with the new mechanics.

This is gaming crack and should be illegal