Hades - Buy it immediately - Slay the Spire X Bayonetta. Ish.

I bought it last night but not used it yet. What do you do with your catches? I assumed it would just be another achievement style thing, or does it have a purpose?

This game just keeps on giving, I unlocked weapon aspects late last week and my weekend was spent testing them all out, some of them make the weapons feel entirely new.

3 minutes ago, Takizawa said:

I bought it last night but not used it yet. What do you do with your catches? I assumed it would just be another achievement style thing, or does it have a purpose?

This game just keeps on giving, I unlocked weapon aspects late last week and my weekend was spent testing them all out, some of them make the weapons feel entirely new.

There's someone in the house who could do with ingredients!

Yeah, he does stop announcing them after the first (couple of?) times though, so you'll need to keep an eye out after that.

Beaten the game twice now (gun and sword), pleased to say the final boss doesn't get easier even as I can now steamroll my way through everything prior,* 25 runs in. Love it.

*bar the occasional encounter with the gruesome twosome, if I haven't picked up decent boons by then

19 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Yeah, he does stop announcing them after the first (couple of?) times though, so you'll need to keep an eye out after that.

Beaten the game twice now (gun and sword), pleased to say the final boss doesn't get easier even as I can now steamroll my way through everything prior,* 25 runs in. Love it.

*bar the occasional encounter with the gruesome twosome, if I haven't picked up decent boons by then

There's something fundamental I'm missing, I think.

I'm generally surprised now if I don't get to the final boss, but I'm usually marmalised at that point (finished with three weapons).

49 minutes ago, footle said:

There's something fundamental I'm missing, I think.

I'm generally surprised now if I don't get to the final boss, but I'm usually marmalised at that point (finished with three weapons).

There is definitely luck to it, as if you get an unfortunate run in terms of boons/upgrades there's not too much you can do,* but in general I've found the following helpful in dealing with the boss - you don't need all of them (hell, you'd be very lucky to get all), but any combination of them will make things a lot easier:

Spoiler

Option 1: Have an extra life of decent size. I mean, that's an obvious one, but there's a few ways you can achieve this:

• 'simplest' one: stick to the 'basic' extra life from the mirror, and don't lose it prior to the final boss
  • rely on luck: use the 'secondary' form of extra life from the mirror, meet Patroclus in Elysium, pick his boon that adds 50% to your health gain for 15 rooms, and hope get through area 4 within 3 searches. Added bonus: that boon means you can intentionally die at the end of a room to regain health if you're low
  • equip the skeleton key at the start of area 4, and don't die [more than once] in the area

Option 2: Stack defensive boons. I'd recommend either focussing on damage reduction or dodging, not spreading the boons thin across both. Being able to tank or evade 30%+ damage makes a big difference. Dodge is the most reliable to increase, if you commit to the item which increases your dodge/move speed with each quickly-completed area. My last successful run, with the sword, had my dodge at 33.5% thanks to that item plus the relevant boon from Hermes. Add in a weapon which increases dodge (the gauntlets can IIRC) and you could push this up to 50% easily.

Option 3: if you get the chance, nab Hermes' boon which automatically generates your Call meter. All the call abilities are useful against the boss, but particularly those which deal heavy damage and/or make you impervious to damage (Ares and Athena are particularly potent for this); having it auto-generate means you can easily get at least 3 calls off, and allows you to play defensively while it generates.

Option 4: make sure you have some sort of 'passive' damage-dealing abilities. Ideally something on your dodge which deals damage, but really anything which inflicts rupture/hangover will be invaluable.

Option 5: similarly, make sure you have 'indirect' damage-dealing abilities. Again, dodge-based attacks are good for this, but also any cast abilities which leave lingering damage are ideal. Being able to just fire something off and keep running away while dealing damage is gold.

Also, learn to attack his bombs if they're close, or dodge through their blasts if they're far away - makes the fight a lot easier.

*unless you're a virtuoso - I imagine it's technically possible to win with no boons at all, just a lot of patience, awareness and Mad Dodging Skills, but I fear that's somewhat beyond me.

What's the easiest way to get more titan blood. I've beaten Meg with all weapons and there doesn't seem to be an obvious route to more of them. Assuming it's something bloody annoying like I need to complete a run or something (still haven't even escaped Elysium so that feels a way off yet)

At that stage it's doing a run and hoping when the shop updates the NPC is offering Titan Blood, it becomes more readily available once you're able to get further. I'm not sure if it's "worth" trading it from the store or if it's a waste of materials. I guess there's no right or wrong way.

Yeah, the shop is one route. The other option requires that you complete a run, unfortunately, which then unlocks new ways to get it.

(both of my successful runs so far have involved completely unupgraded weapons, so I wouldn't say it's a crippling issue, mind)

Picked this up on Friday - it's a bit bloody good, isn't it?

I'm absolutely in awe at the quality of the graphics and animation, and the presentation and polish.  I literally gasped a couple of times during the first hour or so of play at how well done and pretty some of the little effects and animations were.  Amazing work.

I don't consider myself a fan of roguelikes, but very much enjoying the game so far.  For some reason I really disliked Transistor when I got it in one of those Epic deals.  I can't remember why, but I uninstalled it after 1 play, so I would have passed on this if not for all the enthusiasm here.  Glad I took the plunge.

@robdood's beginner video was very helpful - it explained a couple of things I'd missed from playing (particularly that the yellow health bar enemies can't be interrupted in their attacks until you get them down to a red health bar).  One little detail that was missing though, and which confused me a for a while, was to do with the symbols on the exit doors.  I presumed that you got whatever was on the symbol on the exit door the moment you walked through that door, and was confused as to why I wasn't getting keys, etc., when I thought I should be.  It's worth noting that the symbol on the exit door tells you what reward is available in the next room, but often you won't get it until you clear that room.

3 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

I'm absolutely in awe at the quality of the graphics and animation, and the presentation and polish.  I literally gasped a couple of times during the first hour or so of play at how well done and pretty some of the little effects and animations were.  Amazing work.

I usually handheld 90% of the time. But this is only game on switch that I feel I'm losing something not playing it docked on a big telly. Lovely.

1 hour ago, AK Bell said:

I usually handheld 90% of the time. But this is only game on switch that I feel I'm losing something not playing it docked on a big telly. Lovely.

I've mostly* given up on playing Switch games in handheld, as the text is always too small for me to read.  I suspect this will be just such a game.  Just been playing this on my PC monitor / docked.

* I'm playing the Phoenix Wright trilogy in handheld, and sometimes Animal Crossing, as both have nice, large, readable text for my old man's eyes.

40 minutes ago, Wiper said:

There is definitely luck to it, as if you get an unfortunate run in terms of boons/upgrades there's not too much you can do,* but in general I've found the following helpful in dealing with the boss - you don't need all of them (hell, you'd be very lucky to get all), but any combination of them will make things a lot easier:

*unless you're a virtuoso - I imagine it's technically possible to win with no boons at all, just a lot of patience, awareness and Mad Dodging Skills, but I fear that's somewhat beyond me.

Yeah, I do all those - health in the high 200s-low 300s, for example -  I'm just shit. :-)

I suspect I'm not focused enough in my build as well as having old reactions.

Got this at the end of last week. Have done about a dozen runs so far, I think.

It's wonderful stuff. They've captured the feeling of the challenge rooms from Bastion in a lot of ways, I think. The narrative is enjoyable to unpeel bit-by-bit and the combat is bloody good fun. I think my favourite weapon so far is Varatha (the spear) as it gives me a nice mixture of close and long range combat. Have gotten to what might have been the boss at Elysium but it handed me my arse.

But yeah, what a lovely game it is. Feels good to be fully immersed into a Supergiant game again as I didn't get on with Transistor for some reason and I haven't played Pyre yet.

I had a decent run to the final boss with the shield but I never feel I can do enough damage with it - that and any sword runs results in me having to get so close that I usually take loads of damage. I've managed one completion with the bow and by the end of that run I felt more powerful than Zeus himself! Haven't been this addicted to a game in ages

I liked this before, but I just had a run where everything clicked into place and I got to chamber 37. It felt like something miraculous was unfolding — every chamber was like ‘How is this still going so well?!’

I’m imagining the feeling when I actually complete one! Cripes. 

Now I need to remember where my awesome deflect boon came from. 

37 minutes ago, Muz said:

I had a decent run to the final boss with the shield but I never feel I can do enough damage with it - that and any sword runs results in me having to get so close that I usually take loads of damage. I've managed one completion with the bow and by the end of that run I felt more powerful than Zeus himself! Haven't been this addicted to a game in ages

There's a boon that gives you +500% damage with the shield rush, which is a good one. I'm still not sure about the shield. It's fun, but I don't feel in complete control and Level 3 fucked me up earlier. Those butterfly spreaders release too many of the little blighters at once from different angles for me to block. I lost half my health in a single room trying to take out a few of those!