rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
bum

Can anyone recommend some dystopian fiction?

Have you read anything by China Miéville? I'd say quite a few of his books qualify, Perdido St Station or The City And The City for examples.

Have you read any JG Ballard? You can throw a stick at his entire body of long and short fiction, and have a 50% chance of hitting something dystopian.

The other 50% could be about literally anything, of course.

• Upvote 1

I read a lot of sci-fi, especially dystopian novels. Need some lightness after reading about Brexit. 

Buy American War by Omar El Akkad. It’s one of the best books I’ve read in a fair few years. Follows the aftermath of a Second American Civil War in 2074. It’s grounded in a certain amount of realism which makes it essential reading. It was written prior to Trump but seems to have become even more relevant since. It shows how division happens so easily, how radicalisation occurs and the impact on the society it occurs in. The impact of global warming, WMDs, radical approaches to migration and discrimination all play a huge role in the plot. It’s also beautifully written and has received an awful lot of worthwhile plaudits. 

Could suggest a load of others when Im back home but that one jumps to mind immediately. Same with Station Eleven by Emily St Mandel. Somewhat softer in tone but a good read.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Darren said:

Does The Handmaid’s Tale count? If so, that.

Man, how can you ask if that's dystopian or not? It ain't utopian, for sure.

• Upvote 2

The only reason I ask is because I think the guy currently in charge of the US might see it as a utopia. It seems like less of a fictonal 'what-if' these days and more like it might be just around the corner.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Strategos said:

I'm currently reading Gnomon 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33852053-gnomon

I haven't finished it yet but am pretty compelled so far. It could turn to shite in the final act but I hope not :) 

Dystopian and topical. Recommend 

That cropped up on a few of last year's 'best of' lists. I've bought it but not got round to starting yet.

If you haven't read any of the classics then 1984 and Brave New World are must reads @I say

I'd echo JG Ballard but it isn't sci-fi dystopia in the sense that 1984 and Brave New World are.

The Road by Cormac McCarthy is superb.

Another vote for The Handmaid's Tale, it's brilliant.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? is a must read too.

PD James' Children of Men is pretty damn good.

There are so many - get reading.

I'm going to read this next year

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/jan/24/the-book-of-joan-by-lidia-yuknavitch-review

The Book of Joan. Sounds bonkers.

• Upvote 2