rllmuk
strider

Monster Boy And The Cursed Kingdom

I really wish it wasn't the case , but I never feel compelled to play this. I think it's pretty dull and linear. I'll give it till I unlock one more change but I've found all the puzzles so far pretty ordinary and the platforming and movement don't feel great to me.

Upto the final boss now, think I need to get some more hearts though as I keep getting killed

Got all the golden armour

Hardest dungeon for me was the haunted mansion

I’ve just reached the mansion now. I’m close to being done with it but suspect I’m near the end, am I?

It’s a very frustrating game - a lot of that is because it’s so close to being great but repeatedly does something annoying to fall short. Sometimes it’s just deliberately frustrating. 

The controls are not great. I’m not sure if there’s something wrong with my pad or with me but the responsiveness can seem to fluctuate at inopportune moments and certain mechanics seem terribly thought through with regard to the consequences when they don’t work. 

The game seems to often break its own rules with regard to what works and how and enemy spawning seems odd. I had one area where they sometimes respawned on the same screen and sometimes not in a way that seemed bugged that made it feel the game was cheating. 

Enemy placement can be annoying too. It’s just not fun to do that, it’s not challenge, it’s just annoying. Combined with some occasionally poor check pointing it all leads to me turning the game off after about 30 minutes every time, but I do always come back. 

It’s good. It could have been great, but for me there’s too many annoyances and strangely bad decisions. A remaster or patched version in the future is all it needs to be a 9 but as it is it’s a 7/10 for me. 

It’s the worst game I’ve played for this long for a very long time. That sounds bad but it’s actually a sort of praise - there’s something about it that’s kept me going which is a big deal these days, but I’m playing it increasingly begrudgingly which might be a sign I should just stop and be done with it. Usually, if a game was bad I’d just stop immediately. Despite all the flaws and issues I have with this, I haven’t yet. 

I was enjoying this - not to the raving extent that others are - but it's pretty good. It's no Hollow Knight but then it's no Mummy Demastered either. Then this happened:

Spoiler

I needed a hint at the end so I Googled and apparently I need the golden weapon pieces to complete it? Because fuck that. After 25 hours I have exactly none - I'm not trawling a map for collectables and I'm not following a guide either. Please don't be true. It seems trivial but I hate this kind of thing right at the death and there are any number of other carts that could be occupying that slot right now, it's a very privileged position.

• Upvote 1

I calmed down a bit and finished it tonight because I saw how close I was to completion. It's a shame it brings in two needless fetch quests at the end because it feels a bit long to me as it is and neither is fun enough to feel worthwhile. Collectables should be an optional thing to make progress easier, not a requirement. The final boss is pretty fun too! Which I don't feel about many games.

Good, but as a full price title not good enough to recommend. Solid 6 or 7 material.

43 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Amazon, man. Came a bout a week ago no problems.

I chose... poorly.

Although I’ve been hitting Hollow Knight pretty hard so might have that cleared by the time MB areived.

• Upvote 1

On 12/01/2019 at 09:27, grindmouse said:

Play-Asia order held at customs. :doh: Can't win 'em all!

On 12/01/2019 at 10:11, moosegrinder said:

Amazon, man. Came a bout a week ago no problems.

I've taken a punt with Videogamesplus. They were the cheapest at £34 delivered and I requested they put the cost as under £15 on the envelope to avoid customs charges, so fingers crossed.

From what I've seen of this it's perhaps the best looking 2D game ever made so I couldn't resist.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Trumpets said:

From what I've seen of this it's perhaps the best looking 2D game ever made so I couldn't resist.

You won't be able to resist buying three or four copies of hollow Knight as it's actually the best looking 2D game ever. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

You won't be able to resist buying three or four copies of hollow Knight as it's actually the best looking 2D game ever. 

It's a great game and I put ~25 hours into it, but looks-wise there is no comparison.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Trumpets said:

I've taken a punt with Videogamesplus. They were the cheapest at £34 delivered and I requested they put the cost as under £15 on the envelope to avoid customs charges, so fingers crossed.

I bought mine through their eBay outlet. I really hope you didn't use their website- it's really insecure and I had my card compromised every time I've used it there since the data breach they tried to ignore.

• Upvote 1

The fetch quests really aren’t that bad. You’re given maps to where the pieces are and they take around an extra 40 minutes to complete. Some really good puzzle design for them as well. I still think it’s one of the best games of last year.

• Upvote 1

Hnnnnnnn there's a faint whiff of bullshit about this. The controls aren't as tight as they first appear and I've had a couple of deaths because I've mistimed something because the last movement hasn't ended even though it looks like it has, like I'll land from a jump into the Lilly pads in the toxic swamp and try to jump again but I just walk off the edge. Also what the fuck is it with spiders just appearing out of thin air?

Also do you respawn with all your hearts at any point or is it always just up to the basic 3? Or is it how many hearts you had at the save point?

Oh fuck and if you die to poison and have a potion you get your health back but the poison is still active you lose health when it fills all the hearts! Fuck off.

7 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Yeah, full price is what's putting me off getting this at the moment.

I paid full price and I think it's one of the best games I spent money on last year. In fact I spent more as I wanted a physical version

• Upvote 2

On 19/01/2019 at 22:32, Trumpets said:

Success! £34 quid delivered from Canada, marked as 10CAD on the envelope, no extra charges. Probably the way to go for anyone who wants a physical copy of the game.

• Upvote 4

Loving this. It's like polygons never happened and developers just kept making 16-bit style games on whatever new hardware came along. Even the manual that comes with the game evokes that era.

• Upvote 1