rllmuk
strider

Monster Boy And The Cursed Kingdom

In fact if you are 50-60% through, then you are about to come to the hardest, and probably the best level in the game.

The design is almost Zelda like, with puzzles spanning accross several rooms. 

I have 97% of the map now, its very rare that I have the time or desire to fully complete a game, but I will be going for it on this :D

4 minutes ago, Dinobot said:

Is this the same idea as dragons trap - with multiple characters?!

Yes but it’s  far more advanced. The animals typically have two to three unique abilities and later section require you to flip between characters on the fly to solve them. On a lava world now and the difficulty is ramping up, but it’s oh so satisfying.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, strider said:

Yes but it’s  far more advanced. The animals typically have two to three unique abilities and later section require you to flip between characters on the fly to solve them. On a lava world now and the difficulty is ramping up, but it’s oh so satisfying.

I almost bought WB3 on PSN when it was a bit cheap - I just didn't want to play it again, again!

This sounds amazing, I might get it for myself for Christmas :D

1 hour ago, Nequests said:

Physical edition comes with stickers. My daughter has pinched them already, of course.

You can redeem the Nintendo points on a UK account as well if you have the switch us version.

4 hours ago, Leneux said:

Where’s the best place to get a physical copy from? I really enjoyed dragons trap and looking for more. 

Hmm. Outside of eBay it might be worth trying videogamesplus.ca, although you won’t get it before Christmas. I got mine from bazaar bazaar but the price has jumped from £34 to £50.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

So far I'm finding it a bit linear. I'm still pig though. How long before it gets more interesting?

Once you get your next transformation you’ll be able to open up more areas. Same goes for pig form too as it’s the only one that allows you to use multiple items like bombs and lightning bolts to create new paths.

Few hours into this now and I think it’s a joy!

From the instant I put it on I had a smile on my face. Controls are tight, character is beautifully weighted, it looks gorgeous and there’s lots of neat touches that add to the whole thing.

Platforming can be a little bit old school but it’s not as harsh as The Dragons Trap (so far).

The main problem I have at the minute is having to go into a menu to change characters and change pig’s weapons. Don’t know why it’s not just a cycle on the buttons (unless I’m missing something).

Made me wonder why Sega has not continued this series. There’s so much potential there, I have images in my head of a 3D Zelda type world which would be amazing using these characters.

• Upvote 1

Well, you guys have finally beaten me. My wife is trading in my (completed) RDR2 for Switch credit for me today to be spent on this, despite already having loads to play and Xmas stuff coming...

Can't fucking wait!

Dragon's Trap was one of my favourite games growing up, I even did a school project one it, and I adored the remake. I was trying to convince myself I could wait for this but the positive buzz on here has just been too much to take.

Rllmuk, I salute you. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Goemon said:

The main problem I have at the minute is having to go into a menu to change characters and change pig’s weapons. Don’t know why it’s not just a cycle on the buttons (unless I’m missing something).

If you go into the menu you can switch off the ring option. you can then cycle through characters on the fly with one set of shoulder buttons and switch between the pig's weapons with the others. I've no idea why this isn't set up from the beginning as you need to use them a lot later in the game.

• Upvote 2

I bought the remake but gave up on it as dying on a boss sent you right back to the start of the level. Have they fixed this here? I don't mind difficulty but I don't want to play whole levels multiple times to get back to bosses etc. Somebody above mentioned plentiful save points, is this true?

24 minutes ago, carleton said:

I bought the remake but gave up on it as dying on a boss sent you right back to the start of the level. Have they fixed this here? I don't mind difficulty but I don't want to play whole levels multiple times to get back to bosses etc. Somebody above mentioned plentiful save points, is this true?

There are loads of save points, and always right before a boss fight. You'll also gain access to a staff later that lets you teleport back to shops etc.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, strider said:

If you go into the menu you can switch off the ring option. you can then cycle through characters on the fly with one set of shoulder buttons and switch between the pig's weapons with the others. I've no idea why this isn't set up from the beginning as you need to use them a lot later in the game.

I can’t believe this isn’t the default setup. Sooooo much better this way.

Just had another session on this and I’m finding it hard to fault at the minute, it really is an excellent game. It’s the Wonderboy sequel that fans have been waiting for. And even if you don’t know Wonderboy, you won’t be disappointed playing this.

This is the game that could bring Wonderboy back to the spotlight. It’s my sleeper hit of the year. 

This or Hollow Knight - which of the 2 is the most Castlevania SotN-ish with RPG elements and the map expanding (cleverly) with each gained ability?

I'm looking at one of these two for this holiday season. I fear that HK may be a bit too hardcore gameplay-wise for me but at the same time it seems the most unique/original of the two.

Are they about the same length wise? I see that HK on Switch has all the DLC added in. Monster Boy looks deceptively cutesy and simple at a glance but from what I've gleaned it's got a lot of depth when it gets going (more so than HK?). 

Hollow knight can take between 30-80 hours depending on how completionist you are. This is about 12 hours. 

Hollow knight is much more a metroid vania so far. This might open up later but I've found it very linear so far. But it's a very good platform game. 

Hollow knight is a masterpiece. This is a very good game but I can't see this eclipsing the best game that came out on the switch this year. 

2 hours ago, Goemon said:

In your opinion of course. ;)

I personally disliked hollow knight and quit it after about 8 hours. I would take this game every time.

I almost bounced off hollow knight in the first ten hours to be honest. After that though it was incredible and I think I haven't loved a game that much for years. 

31 minutes ago, krenzler said:

Thanks for the input. What’s offputting about the beginning of Hollow Knight - steep learning curve? 

No, it's just a bit too open to start with. It seems a bit aimless for a bit until you get used to the mapping and things. But once it clicks it's incredible. 

It's also about a tenner so not a huge deal if you don't like it. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, krenzler said:

Linneman really likes the new Monster Boy. 

I came looking for this thread after watching this video earlier - my intention was to check out if the Switch version was decent and what the hive mind thought, pleased to see it’s so positive but not so much on the price. I loved the remaster but have so many games on the go at the moment it would be a disservice to get it really - defi made the list of games I want tho :)