strider

Monster Boy And The Cursed Kingdom

18 hours ago, kempstar said:

And.... done. It took me 23 hours in total to beat the final boss, and apparently I only have 81% completion, so still quite a bit to do.

Absolutely brilliant game.

I knew it was longer than 12 hours, which is what a lot of reviewers are saying.

It’s definitely felt closer to 20 for me but I guess it depends on how fast you figure things out and how skilful you are. Possibly if you looked for nothing as rushed straight to the end you might do it in 12 but that’s not what these games are about.

On 23/12/2018 at 21:28, Scratchy Bollock said:

Anyone else experiencing a very annoying bug right at the point of completing the game? My screen just goes black straight after defeating the end boss!

The game is absolutely immense though. Well worth the asking price as far as I'm concerned!

Which boss was this?

I had 1 crash during a cutscene after a late boss so when I replayed it I skipped the cutscene and got through fine.

So glad people are choosing to hunt this game out. It really is worth the admission. 

4 hours ago, Goemon said:

Really hope this does well for the team, would love for them to get a chance to work on something else.

It's been nowhere to be seen on the eShop so I fear not, sadly.

I'm loving this but have been stuck on a platforming bit for about half an hour. Thankfully with it being on the switch I can just put it off and have another go later. I have a snes classic that I've still not played at all yet this is reminding me of some of the tricky platforming jumps you have to do in super ghouls n ghosts 

Yea, there’s some tricky platforming. It never felt far enough away from a save point though to become a chore.

I did some mop up this morning. Resorted to the rainbow seeds to get hints, and even then some secrets were hard to find. It’s actually a nice way to round off the game, as it gives you a focused area to explore but you still have to figure things out.

You have to be careful though. If you’ve missed easy chests it will put them on the map too. I feel like a right donkey when I spend a rainbow seed, go to the area and it’s just a chest sitting right there because I wasn’t paying attention.

10 hours ago, kempstar said:

Does it involve clouds or fire?

Spoiler

It was in the crystal caves... You have to slide down as the snake and jump onto a couple of platforms. I kept jumping on one and then missing the next one etc. Tried it today on the TV with the pro controller and did it within a few tries... The momentum off the first jump just slid me through. 

That small bit literally took me at least 50 tries yesterday

Spoiler
Spoiler

Loving the game so far, well worth the entrance fee

And done 100%, amazing game.

Took me 25 hours to 100% so I reckon it’s about 20 for a decent run through of the game.

I can’t fault it TBH, if I did, it would be subjective and nitpicking and I don’t want to do that.

Everyone should try for the 100%, ESPECIALLY the Lupia Village puzzles. I defy anyone to not be totally smitten by that whole section. Some chests within the world are so ingeniously hidden.

I’m also wondering if the final shot, post credits is an indicator of their next project. Bring it on I say!

• Upvote 4

I've been playing this off and on for the past few weeks. Still loving it.

I'm now onto the

Spoiler

haunted house.

The puzzles are brilliant. Some are fiendish. The vast majority have been fair though. The clues are there if you look hard enough.

I've probably played around 20 games this year. This is in my top 3 for sure.

• Upvote 2

Absolutely loving this now. Every time a new ability or form is introduced, the game feels so fresh again and it throws some lovely ideas at you to play with

It can be tough in places but you always know its your fault if you messed something up so I haven't found it frustrating at all yet... Has that 'one more go' feeling every time

• Upvote 1

I'm not moaning, but in the interests of some balance, I'm not sure about some of the thread hyperbole just yet. I've got three forms and have done 4 areas maybe. It's clearly good, a solid 8/10 maybe but there are some issues. It gets tricky pretty quickly which is fine but can make you feel you've gone the wrong way or something, such is the sudden step up. There are certain design choices that feel like they only serve to annoy. A platform position in one part really annoyed me as they'd placed a gap in such a way that you'd always fall unless you already knew where to go and it was just unnatural and felt like a deliberate fuck you to the player.

That's my main, and only issue really. Some games that try to be a bit tricky manage to do it with a nod and a wink or some sort of communication but this, when it tries to do it, seems to have a bit of an 'okay so you think you're good do you? Well fuck you what about this ha!' attitude. It's not a lot, but it's annoying and jarring when it happens. The enemies can be incredibly frustrating too and some seem impossible to beat at first and can have very annoying patterns that seem designed purely to impede your progress. I know that's what enemies are meant to do, but having them in annoying places during already tricky puzzle/platform sections isn't challenging or rewarding, just annoying.

Finally, probably just me getting old but still frustrating for me, the controls seems quite tricky to get the hang of. Something about the buttons and the position of the icons on screen has me often fudging about trying to get the right form or spell while an enemy attacks me. After a good 3 hours, I still haven't got them into muscle memory.

It's still very good and I like it, but I wanted to voice some issues as everyone else is praising it so much, which it does deserve, but it's not perfect.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Pockets said:

It's still very good and I like it, but I wanted to voice some issues as everyone else is praising it so much, which it does deserve, but it's not perfect.

In all fairness I don't think anyone said it's perfect. It's clearly not a perfect game, but for me it is a great one.

I have found a few tricky bits in it, but nothing as bad as you've mentioned. I was going to say it doesn't make it clear where you need to go next at times, but then I realised it's all marked down on the map. I had a few timing issues at first when I was doing bum slams with the pig, but once I clicked that he hovers briefly for around a second it wasn't an issue. I do think it's tough in places, but I've never personally found it unfair.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, strider said:

In all fairness I don't think anyone said it's perfect. It's clearly not a perfect game, but for me it is a great one.

I have found a few tricky bits in it, but nothing as bad as you've mentioned. I was going to say it doesn't make it clear where you need to go next at times, but then I realised it's all marked down on the map. I had a few timing issues at first when I was doing bum slams with the pig, but once I clicked that he hovers briefly for around a second it wasn't an issue. I do think it's tough in places, but I've never personally found it unfair.

Yeah, no one said it was perfect, but the love in this thread can read a bit 10/10. I do get how for some it would be, it is very good and I've been enjoying playing it which is rare for anything these days, but it does have some issues which I feel could have been addressed - the bum slam thing is one. It annoys me that you have to press down and a button for it. Why not just down or just a button or better still, just be able to jump on things when you're the pig without having to do anything else? I see no real reason for adding this extra down and button step. At best it's fiddly, at worst the timing can be so odd or the controls so head fuckery that you keep jumping on enemies and getting hurt. It is just annoying, there is no benefit to the gameplay at all.

I do get how petty that sounds but it's because the game is so good that these little things are almost more frustrating. You'll be playing happily and then some minor thing like that which seems completely unnecessary happens and you just think 'why the fuck did you do that?' This crops up occasionally in the level design (but rarely) but it's mainly the controls. I think just a slight tweak to could have removed a lot of the irritation.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Pockets said:

I do get how petty that sounds but it's because the game is so good that these little things are almost more frustrating. You'll be playing happily and then some minor thing like that which seems completely unnecessary happens and you just think 'why the fuck did you do that?' This crops up occasionally in the level design (but rarely) but it's mainly the controls. I think just a slight tweak to could have removed a lot of the irritation.

It's not petty at all. If you don't like the controls you don't like them. I've just not had the same experience other than a few bits, which within the parameters of the mechanics, I was clearly just being rubbish :lol:

You're enjoying it and that's the main thing. It's been depressing seeing how much little talk there has been about it.

44 minutes ago, strider said:

It's been depressing seeing how much little talk there has been about it. 

I think it is just the price point and the fact that there are so many bargains this time of year it is a hard sell at the moment regardless of how good it is.

I will eventually buy it, but every time I almost pull the trigger, I notice I can buy another AAA title in one of the many sales, be it Steam, PS Store or Xbox for usually less than half of its current selling price.

1 hour ago, strider said:

It's not petty at all. If you don't like the controls you don't like them. I've just not had the same experience other than a few bits, which within the parameters of the mechanics, I was clearly just being rubbish :lol:

You're enjoying it and that's the main thing. It's been depressing seeing how much little talk there has been about it.

It’s just so frustrating as the problems are so unnecessary. I do keep feeling like I want to do a bit more which is a great sign for any game but I’m playing about an hour at a time as the little things do grate. 

Part of it is age and being shit but it’s just a little convoluted. Celeste was hard but simple and I had no problems with that. At least 30% of the difficulty I’m having with this is control based or things not being immediately apparent when they should be - mechanics etc rather than intentionally hidden stuff. 

Regarding price, I think £35 is fine for any game if it’s good. It’s more than you might expect these days for this sort of game but I paid it for this rather than £25 for Tomb Raider in the sale because it’s a game rather a string of loosely connected cutscenes. 

I also got CODWWII in a sale for the campaign which used to be fun but there really is so little gameplay in AAA these days. I’d rather pay big bucks for these ‘retro’ type games that you actually play and spend the sub £10s on AAA sale games for cheap graphical thrills. Anyway, rambling off topic. 

I paid 43 quid for this fucking game, if it's not a 10* I'm going to be pissed :quote:

*Edge 6**

** I have no idea what edge gave it. Have they reviewed it? Ah it doesn't matter.

I had no idea that this was even a thing, but at £35 I've taken a punt at it as I loved Dragons Trap. Here's hoping we get Wonder Boy in Monster World remastered at some point, I never did beat the final boss as a kid!

On 02/01/2019 at 19:59, Terria said:

I had no idea that this was even a thing, but at £35 I've taken a punt at it as I loved Dragons Trap. Here's hoping we get Wonder Boy in Monster World remastered at some point, I never did beat the final boss as a kid!

Conversely, I really didn't get on with Dragons Trap, so that coupled with the price point, made me ignore this.

Until this thread showed me the light. Just wonderful stuff.

Currently in the lava bit. Loving it.

Finished it a few days back. If I have one small complaint, it's that I would have liked to play more with the

Spoiler

human

form.

But overall it's been amazing. So happy to have bought it. It seems steep at the cost but I've enjoyed it more than the vast majority of games I've bought at the same price point.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

Conversely, I really didn't get on with Dragons Trap, so that coupled with the price point, made me ignore this.

Until this thread showed me the light. Just wonderful stuff.

Currently in the lava bit. Loving it.

The lava area had some of the trickiest platforming for me. Some amazing bits though.

I enjoyed the Dragons Trap as a good game but it’s not in the same league as this. If you love the the Drgons Trap this could well blow your mind!