strider

Monster Boy And The Cursed Kingdom

Is anyone playing this?

It's absolutely sensational and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's actually better than the original Master System game that it's clearly paying tribute to.

I can only assume that the £35 digital price is putting people off. Don't let that be a barrier as it's probably the best new game I've played this year (Astro Bot aside).

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

I really wanted it but that price really did stop me. I'll stick it on my Steam wishlist and pick it up when it drops in price.

It is pricey, but it's worth every penny in my book. I paid £38 for a physical switch copy and don't regret it whatsoever.

• Upvote 1

Given everything else that's come out in the last month and a half I can't justify this. Wonderboy III is my favourite game ever that isn't Crazy Taxi but releasing games in December is a ridiculous idea.

I'm playing it and loving it.

It's Wonderboy through and through, but it's improved on everything I remember about the originals.

At £35 (£30 from the South Africa store) it is expensive. But I'm grinning so much as I play. It's just lovely. No regrets.

This looks lovely (and sounds better still!) but I'm also in the "I've got way too much to play and it's a bit on the salty side price wise" camp at the moment.

As a stop gap though (and a quick heads up to anyone who might fancy it) I saw that Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap is on sale on the PS store for £7.99 so grabbed that :).

2 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Now that I ripped their arm off for when it was released. It's such an impressive remaster.

It’s not a remaster like the earlier switch release was.

This is a brand new standalone game and it’s apparently a proper wonderboy game (it says 30th anniversary, although that was back in 1986).

I don’t mean to be a dick by correcting you , it’s just worth pointing out to people that this is a brand new metroidvania and not a game people would have played before. :)

I have opened up about 85% of the map now, and can safely say this is far, far better than the Dragons Trap. It gets better and better. The level design is excellent and you often have to use all of your forms to progress. 

29 minutes ago, strider said:

It’s not a remaster like the earlier switch release was.

This is a brand new standalone game and it’s apparently a proper wonderboy game (it says 30th anniversary, although that was back in 1986).

I don’t mean to be a dick by correcting you , it’s just worth pointing out to people that this is a brand new metroidvania and not a game people would have played before. :)

No, I know it's new, I just meant the remaster at 16 quid was an instabuy. It's just 32 quid is too much. Like most have said 20/25 quid I'd have probably gone for it. That extra 7 quid makes the difference in my stupid arsed brain.

It has some genuinely funny moments in it. 

Boss battles are probably going to be divisive, they're not very hard, but personally I like that.

Love all the animal forms. I am yet to get the final one, but so far, when in doubt: PICK PIG!

Monster-Boy-Announcement-pig_smoke_mastersystem.jpg.1a50c76822c38f85455f939b7e379848.jpg

... to:

large.thumb.jpg.c90c891b8b325943d70bb1cf0f890db4.jpg

:wub:

• Upvote 1

I’ve got a physical version coming from the US. I really wanted the game, but I’m not a fan of digital when I know there are physical versions out there. Can’t wait to give it a try, it looks great.

If that was a Twitter account run by an AAA publisher they'd probably be weeping blood and swearing vengeance on the people buying it for showing up in comparatively small numbers.

Loved the trailer for this too, it all looks so joyful.

I really wanted to buy this because it looks so good, but reviews I've read say it's nails. I didn't buy Wonder Boy for the same reason :( I'm shit at games.

6 minutes ago, Thwomp said:

I really wanted to buy this because it looks so good, but reviews I've read say it's nails. I didn't buy Wonder Boy for the same reason :( I'm shit at games.

Sure you're not looking at Dragon's Trap reviews? That game's hard. This one is pretty easy I'd say.

@NickC No, definitely this one. Nintendo Life said:

Monster Boy may be a brand new adventure but it’s still very much a homage to its Master System predecessor and it makes no bones about offering a game with a 1980s difficulty level. Inexperienced gamers may get frustrated at the steep difficulty curve; although the game takes its time to gradually increase your list of abilities it isn’t so delicate when it comes to ramping up the pressure. As such, you can expect some fiddly jumping sections and tricky enemies fairly early on.

Interesting. I am a pretty bad player (can't do Hollow Knight for example) but I find this game fine. Save points are plentiful. 

But I'm probably only 50-60% of the way through, it could certainly get harder.

2 hours ago, NickC said:

Interesting. I am a pretty bad player (can't do Hollow Knight for example) but I find this game fine. Save points are plentiful. 

But I'm probably only 50-60% of the way through, it could certainly get harder.

It gets much harder.

This is partly because the more forms you have, the more options there are to solve a puzzle, and it isnt always obvious what to do.

The more platform based sections also get more challenging. It can border on frustrating at times too, especially when you die and only have a few hearts to keep repeating a section with.

The bosses dont get harder, if anything they get easier.