The next evolution in game controllers. What's it going to be?

2 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Get rid of the motors to do vibration and use something else. That haptic stuff that Apple use on iPhone home buttons but souped up.  That'd give you more localised areas you could "vibrate". 

eeeehhhhh I'll stick to my day job then.  

This is actually a damn good shout. I love the independent rumbles on the Bone pad. An extension or an evolution of that would be incredible. 

5 hours ago, Pob said:

I've not used them so pardon my ignorance, but what is the purpose of clipping them together? Also, why does it mean that VR would be the focus? 

I've not used them either, but it's much easier to have a swig of beer with a single controller (or scoff a spicy Nik Nak, have a quick scratch etc.). No need to put half down and then pick it up again after. A minor point, but an important one, I feel (especially if wearing a VR headset when finding the thing afterwards might be an issue).

6 hours ago, Strafe said:

You clip them together so you can store them easier and use them more like a traditional controller which is more convenient than two devices.

There aren’t too many games that would need two separate controllers for a single player outside of VR.

Arms is probably the only one I can think of.

Killzone 3 with Move and Navigation controllers is still the single best and most intuitive control scheme I've ever used.

It's criminal that the Move has had a bit of resurgence due to PSVR but the Navigation controller has been completely forgotten about.

I think there's an unappreciated barrier in that everything is standardised around the same dual-stick, dual-trigger control scheme, regardless of genre, and the accepted wisdom in the games community is that a title should be frictionless to engage with, meaning a new game has to use that scheme or be criticised as unintuitive. Even if new input methods were sufficiently widely incorporated in to hardware for games developers to consider using them, I think that audience expectations acts as a disincentive for developers to follow through. Could someone actually launch a thirdperson game without manual camera controls on the right stick now, much less a game where something important was controlled on a jog dial or a touchpad? I don't know.

This isn't a value judgement, I think the ubiquity of the move-and-camera scheme has greatly broadened what's possible in games (anyone who has played a modern action game can play Gone Home or Everybody's Gone to the Rapture) but it does have unintended consequences. I also think I'm just pining for the days when simply learning how to engage with a game was part of the fun.

Force-feedback thumb sticks. That's what I want to see. Nobody's even doing ordinary, one-motor-each-side rumble properly these days (remember when MGS1 had a vibration effects designer and simulated things like the air pressure from rotor wash?) and HD rumble is dying on the vine but that's what I would really like to try out.

18 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I think there's an unappreciated barrier in that everything is standardised around the same dual-stick, dual-trigger control scheme, regardless of genre, and the accepted wisdom in the games community is that a title should be frictionless to engage with, meaning a new game has to use that scheme or be criticised as unintuitive. Even if new input methods were sufficiently widely incorporated in to hardware for games developers to consider using them, I think that audience expectations acts as a disincentive for developers to follow through. Could someone actually launch a thirdperson game without manual camera controls on the right stick now, much less a game where something important was controlled on a jog dial or a touchpad? I don't know.

This isn't a value judgement, I think the ubiquity of the move-and-camera scheme has greatly broadened what's possible in games (anyone who has played a modern action game can play Gone Home or Everybody's Gone to the Rapture) but it does have unintended consequences. I also think I'm just pining for the days when simply learning how to engage with a game was part of the fun.

Force-feedback thumb sticks. That's what I want to see. Nobody's even doing ordinary, one-motor-each-side rumble properly these days (remember when MGS1 had a vibration effects designer and simulated things like the air pressure from rotor wash?) and HD rumble is dying on the vine but that's what I would really like to try out.

You should give Red Dead Redemption 2 a go!

58 minutes ago, Darwock said:

Killzone 3 with Move and Navigation controllers is still the single best and most intuitive control scheme I've ever used.

It's criminal that the Move has had a bit of resurgence due to PSVR but the Navigation controller has been completely forgotten about.

Yep

As much as I like gyro aiming on a tradition  controller,   I do prefer pointer controls. It's not all about the improved accuracy over sticks, it's that detachment of the reticule from the camera. Pointer controls feel far more like I'm actually holding and pointing a gun independently of my body movements. It felt liberating to play those early Wii games. And Killzone 3 had THE best pointer controls of any game on PS3 or Wii for sure.

41 minutes ago, spatular said:

Not evolutionary but I’d be happy if they didn’t break so easily and all had Saturn d-pad’s.

Never tried one myself but this is the best advert I've seen for the saturn d-pad

Imagine trying that with one of the 360's mushy 8 way lottery buttons.
"Roll up, roll up, test your luck, press now to reveal which one of our eight exciting directions YOU could be ploughing home in this evening!"

I remember playing left 4 dead with my nephew
"Quick, heal me!"
and I'm having a panic attack juggling pipe bombs and turning my torch on and off in his face.
"HEAL MEEEEE!"

1 hour ago, JPL said:

You should give Red Dead Redemption 2 a go!

Can you give a brief synopsis of this? Is it not "aim snap to chest, move up to the head and bang" like the first one?

Oh right, so you're like a paranoid schizophrenic cowboy? Never quite sure from one moment to the next whether you're going to simply look at someone, buy a newspaper or threaten them with a gun?

That's pretty brave of Rockstar to not even mention it, they've taken the torch from Hellblade and really run with it.

4 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I'd rather Nintendo put the A/B and X/Y buttons the right way around finally.

Pretty sure Nintendo invented the layout so.....

Its pretty annoying on the PS4 as it’s region dependant with JP and Asian areas having it the right way round and EU & US the wrong way round!

Yeah I think the DualShock 5 should just be rip off of the JoyCons, but keep the DS shape. Bit like the Vive controllers, but they dock into a middle piece so you can use it just like a normal DS4 or separate them for maximum slouchiness. They could also charge through the middle dock piece. This would also allow them to be used with the next iteration of PSVR when/if that ever rolls around (hopefully with no glowing orb attachment required).

25 minutes ago, jraff said:

Yeah I think the DualShock 5 should just be rip off of the JoyCons, but keep the DS shape. Bit like the Vive controllers, but they dock into a middle piece so you can use it just like a normal DS4 or separate them for maximum slouchiness. They could also charge through the middle dock piece. This would also allow them to be used with the next iteration of PSVR when/if that ever rolls around (hopefully with no glowing orb attachment required).

If you're designing a split controller to be held in each hand and do a good job there shouldn't be any need for the middle dock piece.

You're actually best avoiding the idea of two bits coming together to create a "normal" controller because it will inevitably compromise the design of the two separate bits to a degree.

You can see this with the switch joycon although they are still remarkably ace ( and better) to hold separately.

3 minutes ago, Fatsam said:

If you're designing a split controller to be held in each hand and do a good job there shouldn't be any need for the middle dock piece.

You're actually best avoiding the idea of two bits coming together to create a "normal" controller because it will inevitably compromise the design of the two separate bits to a degree.

You can see this with the switch joycon although they are still remarkably ace ( and better) to hold separately.

Probably true - what I'll say about the JoyCons though is that the position of the sticks is not ideal when you've got them separated. Feels like you don't have enough leverage to use right stick properly and you almost need the other hand supporting the controller for that to work, especially when you have massive dinner-plate hands like mine.

28 minutes ago, jraff said:

Probably true - what I'll say about the JoyCons though is that the position of the sticks is not ideal when you've got them separated. Feels like you don't have enough leverage to use right stick properly and you almost need the other hand supporting the controller for that to work, especially when you have massive dinner-plate hands like mine.

35 hours of Pokemon exclusively with the right joycon says you're wrong.