IGNORED

Doom

layten

As someone who grew up with the SNES version I was already happy enough with my £4 purchase but this patch makes a massive difference. Well played. I hadn't played it in a while but the aspect and frame rate improvements are immediately noticeable, and I'm no frame queen.

I tried the original Mac version of Doom 2 yesterday on my G4 eMac and it looks stunning! Appears to be running at 640x400 natively, it’s much sharper than the DOS version.
It’s not a version that I’ve seen mentioned in YouTube comparison videos, I think if you were playing this in the 90s on a capable Macintosh you’d have been the envy of all Doom fans. 

I'm slowly making my way through a replay of Doom 3, whenever I'm between games.

I loved Doom 3 when it came out. I knew it was flawed, even then, and since then the flaws only have grown more obvious. And much like 2016 it wasn't really what Doom was, but it felt like a descendant of it in a post Half Life world. But it was also kinda hokey. I'm noticing that more this time. It's a bit try hard in a kinda sad way.

It also makes it all the more remarkable how well the original stands up, still.

Videos from this YouTube channel have been popping up in my recommendations over the last few months. They are good explanations of the odd quirks and obscure nuances of the original two Doom games' mechanics:

• 7 months later...

Ultimate Doom on Steam got a massive patch last night. It now supports widescreen. It supports controllers for heretics like me out of the box. And it has in game mod support. Want to play John Romero's Sigil? Just load up the game, go to add ins and select it and the game does the rest.

Does anyone want to watch Tim Rogers talking about Doom for three and a half hours? :eyebrows:

Judging by the timestamps, nearly half an hour of it (02:31:54 to 02:59:48) is devoted to Edge Magazine's April 1994 Seven Out Of Ten Review Of Doom. I watched a bit of that section - the review quotes are read by a special guest...

• 8 months later...

I have similar fond memories of this classic, including system linking two PlayStations at my friends house one afternoon and just playing endlessly until his mum came in hours later to ask us what the hell (!) we were doing as it was now morning and we’d just played through the night :)

Wonder if we should try to get a death match game organised? Might be fun?

• 6 months later...
3 minutes ago, layten said:

The modding community must be running out of ideas by now.

Doom modding community: Hold my BFG

Unless I'm going mad I'm sure an earlier version of this came out years ago as I remember playing it

I've been watching Decino's ongoing series where he plays through a megawad made by Cyriak Harris (the freaky animation guy). It is a bit like seeing what Treasure would do with the original Doom engine, so many inventive engine-pushing ideas. The music is catchy as fuck as well.

Hah, ditto. Going Down is perhaps the best megawad I've ever seen: the attention to detail, thematic consistence, level structure, enemy encounters - all brilliant.

I've been watching decino's videos for a while, and it's pretty much the only videgame content I watch regularly. His analysis videos of the Doom code/mechanics are fascinating, and his playthroughs have the perfect balance of commentary and skill. His 9-hour live-stream blind run of the Okuplok slaughter map (23,000+ demons) was amazingly epic.