rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
PC Master Race

Doom - 26 years 1 month 12 days old today

Yeah, it's perfectly fine and playable, but porting DOOM is like you are doing a concert recital, you're going up against the best and there are a lot of prior performances whose standard you are expected to meet. You hit a few bum notes, people are going to call it out.

Not sure how much slack can be given for it being 'finally' portable. It was on the GBA! (And PSP and Vita if you hack them, Vita being Chocolate Doom, so very faithful to the original).

• Upvote 3

I see the value of Digital Foundry for those that care but for me it's always tempered with the thought of how many hundreds of hours of fun would I have missed out on if they'd existed when I was younger. I loved the SNES version of this, which is genuinely unplayable today, so am pretty chuffed with the Switch one now really. 

12 hours ago, DaveDaveDave said:

John from DF is a clown. The Switch version of this is brilliant. It's Doom. The frame rate is stable and smooth. I've played the first three episodes in full with no gameplay issues. The only issue is it takes 10 seconds to come alive after putting it to sleep. Once you're playing it, it's Doom, portable. 

Basically for £4 this is an amazing bargain on Switch. John from DFs article is a nasty ill founded and misguided hatchet job.

Awful post and has to be a troll it's so dumb. 

You can literally see from the frame-rate/frame-time graphs that it's attempting to run at 35 fps with a 60fps refresh meaning it's constantly bouncing between 30 fps and 60 fps. Super fast and juddery. 

It's scaled badly, making it look fuzzy and the music runs at the wrong speed. These are objective truths. This is climate change levels of denial. 

Also, the whole point of them being highlighted by DF is SO THEY GET FIXED. For everyone's benefit! 

Fixing at least the music speed and frame-rate will be pretty easy! I literally don't even. 

• Upvote 9

1 minute ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Also, the whole point of them being highlighted by DF is SO THEY GET FIXED. For everyone's benefit! 

Fixing at least the music speed and frame-rate will be pretty easy! I literally don't even. 

I dunno man. Fixing the music would mean they have to re-record all the MIDI, I doubt if they would be bothered. Frame rate fix might be something fundamental to how they have converted the engine, they might just assume its locked everywhere. Still, we can hope. The fixes I would like for are the lighting and getting rid of that ruddy login.

6 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Awful post and has to be a troll it's so dumb. 

You can literally see from the frame-rate/frame-time graphs that it's attempting to run at 35 fps with a 60fps refresh meaning it's constantly bouncing between 30 fps and 60 fps. Super fast and juddery. 

It's scaled badly, making it look fuzzy and the music runs at the wrong speed. These are objective truths. This is climate change levels of denial. 

And yet I played all through doom 1 on portable mode on the switch and experienced none of these issues. I had an immense amount of fun with it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, DaveDaveDave said:

And yet I played all through doom 1 on portable mode on the switch and experienced none of these issues. I had an immense amount of fun with it. 

...and that's totally fine! It doesn't mean that you can't have immense fun with it! For me, the fact that Doom is on the Switch is prob enough of a selling point to coax me into buying it. I love playing Doom on the PS1 even still! 

Also doesn't mean that the issues aren't there and it's good that they're reported on and hopefully fixed... but also, they can be quite easily ignorable and the player can have a gay old time none the less! 

• Upvote 1

I had immense fun playing PAL games on SNES, Mega Drive and PS1, but I don't tell people they're stupid and wrong for preferring full-speed NTSC originals.

People are only stupid and wrong for preferring anything other than Aubrey Hodges Doom score.

Stupid. And. Wrong.

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

How can you overstate objective truths?

By exaggerating how impactful it actually is when it comes to enjoying the game.

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

By exaggerating how impactful it actually is when it comes to enjoying the game.

That's subjective interpretation of how impactful they are to the user's experience. 

That's not what Digital Foundry are doing. John Linneman is report objective truths about the game, and that's it. 

He does state that he doesn't like these issues, would you prefer he kept his opinion to himself?

Saying it's "a bad port" is also subjective, that's my only issue with his analysis. On the whole I think it's a great port, but then I've never played the PC original and my favourite version is the Playstation one just because it was amazing for the time, and the music. 

Look I don't wanna get in pointless arguments with anyone, people are free to spend their time and money as they wish, I just hope that analysis doesn't put people off because these ports are excellent IMO - I didn't notice any frame rate issues, pixels at the wrong height or the sound being wrong.

• Downvote 2

The PlayStation version also has aspect ratio issues, though as it's the first of the series I played, it's actually the version I prefer. My go-to Doom is GZDoom with the PS total conversion mod. It's 60fps bliss.

It's worth noting that Triple Dave is a known troll.

It's also worth noting that you're not going to be able to objectively decide if something is a good port if you haven't actually played the original to compare it to.

I'm not some massive DF fan, but for retro ports they really do know their stuff and are about as objective an analysis as you can get. It would only be subjective if say, they hadn't played the PC version or something.

Something as fundamental and iconic to Doom as the music being too slow is not something I would expect from an "excellent" port. Adequate maybe. It depends how much accuracy matters to you, and in my opinion when keeping old games alive, accuracy should be the most important aspect, and on that basis this one falls down. It's still a great game, it's just a disappointing port, so I'd rather play it differently.

• Upvote 4

Have you played it @Benny ? Whilst I'm no 'purist' I've dabbled, you know ;) I said I'd never played the PC original, but I have, a bit, I've also played loads of other versions.

Look it's Doom on your Switch, you can play it anywhere - and it's as good as that sounds. HD rumble is also cool in it.

It's like they brought out a new 4k uhd release of some classic film, let's say Die Hard or Citizen Kane. But they put in the wrong sound effects mix - it's all placeholder stuff in the wrong pitch - the aspect ratio is wrong so everyone looks squished, the dialogue and music is running at the wrong speed and they put on motion smoothing. And one of the actors has been dubbed over. However it is very cheaply priced. 

Would people say 'it's cheap and I am having fun and I loved watching it taped off the telly in long play in 1991 so stop complaining'? I'm not sure.

That said I know there are people who still used composite until HDMI became the only output on most things, who turn on motion smoothing and stretch the aspect ratio to get rid of black bars... 

• Upvote 8

My three year old hates having the black bars on anything. She complains that it's 'too small'.

I tell her she can watch it properly or not at all. I'm not raising some stretched aspect ratio heathen.

• Upvote 5

22 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Have you played it @Benny ? Whilst I'm no 'purist' I've dabbled, you know ;) I said I'd never played the PC original, but I have, a bit, I've also played loads of other versions.

Look it's Doom on your Switch, you can play it anywhere - and it's as good as that sounds. HD rumble is also cool in it.

Yep seems to play well enough on the Switch. No complaints here. Certainly runs better than the machine I originally ran it on back in '93!  :D 

Can't say I've really any issues with the music - except I don't really like music when playing the game anyway.

And its only £4!!!! :D 

I know I'm still banging on about this, but we should expect better from a publisher like Bethesda. I don't care if it's only £4, the more often we keep rewarding a publisher for dropping the ball, the more often we're going to get served low effort releases if they perceive that we'll buy it anyway because "who cares? It's Doom!"

• Upvote 4

Yeah I'm glad these issues have been brought to light, and I hope they get patched, but in the meantime I'm not going to let it ruin my enjoyment, I mean seriously it's not worth boycotting them over it. 

Objectively Doom 3 is the best port, it's more technically demanding and it's pretty faithful, but Doom 3 isn't a patch on the originals which even in this poor state ;) blow it clean away with a super shotgun blast.

• Upvote 1

If it were a remaster of Panzer Dragoon Saga and people were boycotting it because the sound effects were a bit off, I'd agree it'd be a bit daft, but Doom has been ported to basically everything over the years and there's no reason Bethesda should be getting basic things wrong at this point.

I'd rather give the money to M2 or Hamster. They do good work. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Benny said:

Voting with your wallet is still the best way to show it's not good enough.

It's good enough for me, besides I bought it immediately anyway.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Benny said:

Voting with your wallet is still the best way to show it's not good enough.

Yep, good enough for me too. Just completed episode 2, inferno here we come! I love this game.

It might even top Resi 4 for having gamings best shotgun...

• Upvote 1

I think I prefer the level design in the first game. Doom 2 is great and all, but they seem more gimmicky (Tricks 'n Traps springs to mind) and less believable as places (insofar as any of these places can be said to believable)

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Stanley said:

Yeah I'm glad these issues have been brought to light, and I hope they get patched, but in the meantime I'm not going to let it ruin my enjoyment, I mean seriously it's not worth boycotting them over it. 

Agree the issues aren't fundamental problems with the game and it plays really well IMHO.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Doom 2 is a nice companion to 1, it's a lot more of a "fuck you" in level design but that's not a bad thing. 

I never really got on with doom 3 but by all accounts the ps4 and xbox one ports are excellent, I might try them.