rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
PC Master Race

Doom - 26 years 1 month 12 days old today

18 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

Because it has been? Specifically, the Xbox 360 / XBLA versions of Doom and Doom 2.

These ones?

ACFD73AB-5760-4195-A043-7270B2FC96E3.thumb.jpeg.3232657ab76d5adffe63821db1aefdad.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

Yep. Folk were pissed, because not only did Bethesda delist the games, they stopped people who had purchased them from downloading them. Supposedly a mistake.

Anyone else and you’d think ‘yeah, mistake’. But then you remember it’s Bethesda and realise that they probably just tried it on to see if anyone would notice. They really should be careful...they’re almost at EA levels of fuckwittery now.

Doom 3 still scares the shit out of me. I just put it on for an hour or two and I 'noped' out fairly swiftly. Still looks pretty nice too to be honest.

6 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Doom 3 still scares the shit out of me. I just put it on for an hour or two and I 'noped' out fairly swiftly. Still looks pretty nice too to be honest.

Spoiler

"They took my baby!"

12 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I think he's really overstating the issues, they look and play great to me.

Bear in mind he’s a full in retro fan so he’ll always give a full in account of the issues. I suspect most people won’t pay much attention, but I’m glad he’s there giving his views at least :)

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I think he's really overstating the issues, they look and play great to me.

John from DF is a clown. The Switch version of this is brilliant. It's Doom. The frame rate is stable and smooth. I've played the first three episodes in full with no gameplay issues. The only issue is it takes 10 seconds to come alive after putting it to sleep. Once you're playing it, it's Doom, portable. 

Basically for £4 this is an amazing bargain on Switch. John from DFs article is a nasty ill founded and misguided hatchet job.

• Downvote 13

I think he's right to point out the differences and inaccuracies of the conversion but his opinion of it as a 'bad port' is way off IMO, the only issue that will affect most players is the whole DRM mess, but once past that my guess is that most people won't detect any other issues.

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I think he's right to point out the differences and inaccuracies of the conversion but his opinion of it as a 'bad port' is way off IMO, the only issue that will affect most players is the whole DRM mess, but once past that my guess is that most people won't detect any other issues.

And the whole DRM mess takes about 3 minutes to avoid with a burner email account which I imagine anyone interested in original Doom will have.

Basically Digital Foundry has its place with AAA games, but in this sort of thing, complaining about a 35 or 70hz refresh rate , or slight judder which no one can see, for a game that costs £3.99 is beyond tragic. 

• Downvote 5
  • Empathy 1

For a Doom purist, the shoddy nature of the ports definitely is an issue. I'm not all that fussed about 1:1 pixel mapping, but the warped aspect ratio looks weird and wrong, and the slower music is unforgivable. Considering how good it can be it's a bit of a shame, even for £4.

• Upvote 6

Considering the bazillion professional and fanmade ports of Doom that are accurate and not shoddy, there's really no excuse for these ones. That they're cheap and perfectly playable is not the point - it's original Doom, they're charging for it, they should put a little bit of care into it. 

• Upvote 6

That bit in the DF video where he switches to a 60fps port for comparison is basically sex for eyes.

And the bit where he switches to the proper speed soundtrack explains why Doom 1 felt a bit cheesy to me on the Switch because the full speed version...

7S9ir6hHuVaL.gif.9ca70782adbf01ce7d4bcda3bf04f346.gif

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

And this is not some indie developer making the best of it with what few resources they have. Bethesda is a huge company, they have the resources umpteen times over to port an old game like og Doom in an acceptable state. Also: this is the same forum that's up in arms when confronted with PAL versions on rereleases that run slower and feature borders - and yet here we are, a Doom port with slowed down music that sounds off, wrong aspect ratio that makes all the enemies look short and fat, and a less than optimal framerate in a 1993 game. I see no reason to defend poor old Bethesda over this, it's not asking much to expect a decent port of OG Doom in 2019. But apparently the messenger pointing this out is a clown and we should be thankful to benevolent Bethesda for a cynical rush job because it's playable.

Yet, I still enjoyed the fuck out of both games and didn't notice any of these issues.

• Downvote 3
  • Empathy 3