rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
PC Master Race

Doom - 26 years 1 month 12 days old today

As someone who grew up with the SNES version I was already happy enough with my £4 purchase but this patch makes a massive difference. Well played. I hadn't played it in a while but the aspect and frame rate improvements are immediately noticeable, and I'm no frame queen.

Really loving this on Switch especially with all the new fixes, found myself a bit stuck on the second chapter with no ammo and noticed there's a cheats menu! So I went with Give Everything and my DOOM adventure continues :D

I tried the original Mac version of Doom 2 yesterday on my G4 eMac and it looks stunning! Appears to be running at 640x400 natively, it’s much sharper than the DOS version.
It’s not a version that I’ve seen mentioned in YouTube comparison videos, I think if you were playing this in the 90s on a capable Macintosh you’d have been the envy of all Doom fans. 

• Upvote 1

I'm slowly making my way through a replay of Doom 3, whenever I'm between games.

I loved Doom 3 when it came out. I knew it was flawed, even then, and since then the flaws only have grown more obvious. And much like 2016 it wasn't really what Doom was, but it felt like a descendant of it in a post Half Life world. But it was also kinda hokey. I'm noticing that more this time. It's a bit try hard in a kinda sad way.

It also makes it all the more remarkable how well the original stands up, still.

Videos from this YouTube channel have been popping up in my recommendations over the last few months. They are good explanations of the odd quirks and obscure nuances of the original two Doom games' mechanics: