Ever been totally hooked on one game?

I don't think I ever have been really, not to the point where it's damaging. I'm actually the opposite these days where I find my intetest waning rapidly even for games I think are amazing. RDR2 is a case in point, thought it was a masterpiece from the off then I quickly got a bit bored (around chapter 4) and haven't been back in weeks.I just don't have the time though that's the other thing.

5 minutes ago, Adrock said:

Ultima Online. Took years out of my life, it's now free to play too for the Endless Journey.

Which prompted me to restart this week, the population is a fraction of what it used to be but the people left are nice and the community that endures is active and helpful.

Oh god yes. I bought UO when I still had dial up. My first ever online game. I couldn't buy it anywhere in the UK but I went to visit a friend who'd moved to Germany and he took me to the place in Munich where all the PC shops are and in one of those was a single copy of the English version of UO. I've never wanted a holiday to end more badly than then.

4 years later I'd drifted away. From what I gather it's a shadow of its former self these days sadly. If ever a game needed a high budget sequel it's this one. EA actually started a sequel twice (Two completely different MMOs) and cancelled them both the shitholes.

17 minutes ago, Flub said:

Oh god yes. I bought UO when I still had dial up. My first ever online game. I couldn't buy it anywhere in the UK but I went to visit a friend who'd moved to Germany and he took me to the place in Munich where all the PC shops are and in one of those was a single copy of the English version of UO. I've never wanted a holiday to end more badly than then.

4 years later I'd drifted away. From what I gather it's a shadow of its former self these days sadly. If ever a game needed a high budget sequel it's this one. EA actually started a sequel twice (Two completely different MMOs) and cancelled them both the shitholes.

The game has a couple of very busy servers I think. Great Lakes and Atlantic.

Europa has a few people on it playing still. My old guild still exists and I'm still a member some 14 years or so since I stopped playing. They're part of an alliance who are generally active. There are also meetings at Brit bank every evening at 6pm and people go on hunts after that.

You can pay to transfer characters to busy servers if you wish too.

I don't think the skill system, which hasn't been bettered in my opinion, would be tolerated nowadays. Progress could be very slow.

Like Nate and Joffo; SFIV. Stupid amount of time ploughed into that game but my god, what a game :wub:

i dont really play fighters now as I just don't have the time which feels a bit of a shame as it's my favourite genre by far.

Today I shall win again.

23 minutes ago, Adrock said:

The game has a couple of very busy servers I think. Great Lakes and Atlantic.

Europa has a few people on it playing still. My old guild still exists and I'm still a member some 14 years or so since I stopped playing. They're part of an alliance who are generally active. There are also meetings at Brit bank every evening at 6pm and people go on hunts after that.

You can pay to transfer characters to busy servers if you wish too.

I don't think the skill system, which hasn't been bettered in my opinion, would be tolerated nowadays. Progress could be very slow.

I used to play on Drachenfels. You're probably right about the skill system but I feel if they avoided a straight WoW clone and made that old skill system but better and friendlier I think a new UO could do amazingly well. Of course if EA did do a sequel it would end up being shite and riddled with loot boxes. Fuckers.

It’s pretty much the only way I play now. One big game at a time with the last being DQXI. I do one of those every 6 months maybe if there’s something that appeals. I need breaks in between during which I pretty much just play PES which means that always gets over 100 hours each year. 

In addition to that, I do really like arcade type experiences but find I get on best with self contained things like Celeste. I played that like crazy for a week, finished it and will probably never go back. There are loads like that. 

I like shmups and racing games and other things but these tend to be skill based and open ended and are the games I most commonly ‘fall off’ from due to there being no real end in sight and an awareness that it’s kind of ‘pointless’ beyond the fun of playing, which is the point of course. 

I think as I’ve got older I can only really play one game at a time and view them more like books, you wouldn’t really read multiple books at a time. 

I get hooked for twenty or thirty hours in a week quite often, with the likes of Hyrule Warriors, Starlink, Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, Diablo 3, Dragonball FighterZ, AC Odyssey, RDR2 and Okami pretty much in that category this year, probably a good few more. I quite like that length but I'm nowhere near finishing any of them nor finished with them, I've just put them on the back burner because either they plateaued or because I'm bad about trying the newest shiniest shit.

In terms of proper mad obsessions, although it was only for twenty five hours, I played the first level of Ikaruga for twenty five hours. It became pretty bad, seeing the run in my sleep and then waking up and executing better which only compounded the problem. I'm glad I set myself a target and hit it because I don't ever really want to go to that place again.

Before that, it was Isaac. I put 300 hrs in last year on Switch but the reality is that about 280 hours were in the first three or four months. That's pretty mad looking back but I played almost nothing but that game and I thought about it a lot. Again, I kept moving the goalposts but I decided that when I'd got all the Completion Marks for The Lost on Hard, I'd put it down. I can still remember the feeling of taking down Mega Satan and Ultra Greed. Up there with anything I've 'achieved' in gaming, especially Ultra Greed.

Besides those, we're talking hundreds and hundreds of hours across Soulsborne games. I couldn't even guess. MGSV was another, good few hundred I'm sure even doing all the base management shite until Konami nerfed the fuck out of it and it soured my interest. Skyrim was the one on PS3, put a few hundred hours in doing almost fuck all. Genuinely no idea if I finished it or what, I don't remember. I just remember the feeling and the place. One of the most important experiences I've ever had with a game. Truly a second life kind of thing.

I buy too many these days to properly soak any one thing up which is a shame. I really like the point about one at a time like a novel but I'm so terrible with books too these days. My attention span is fucked, I've got about four novels, half a dozen no-fiction books and about ten manga I've started and want to get back to. Of course, when I have chance, I just play Psyvariar Delta or Tetris or Windjammers or something and make no 'progress'. It's...complicated. 

I suppose Tetris in its many guises over the years. I hate to imagine how many hours I have put into it in total. Definitely in the high 100s, if not into the 1000s.

In terms of other individual games. I did over 100 hours on Treasure of Montezuma Blitz on the Vita. Most of my games aren't anywhere near that long though, recently only Fortnite and Diablo III come close. 

800 hours plus on COD4: MW. It was the first game to really drag me into online MP gaming. Made some life long friends on there and the pre-match lobby was as often as entertaining as some of the games. I found last year’s remastering a bittersweet experience; gameplay had changed and the 360 collective had split between PS4 and XB1. 

Other than that, I would hate to work out how long I’ve spent on CM, especially 97/98 which I mainlined through uni. Cherno Samba, Nii Lamptey were like brothers to me. 

I put 800 hours into Fallout New Vegas, 1000 to Skyrim and I'm just as bad working through Fallout 4 at the moment. There's no way of knowing but I estimate that I spent far longer playing Morrowind than any of the later ones. I just love the wondering around, soaking in the atmosphere, exploring all the towns and generally just hanging out. It's then fun having a base and working out from there, bringing home increasingly majestic or interesting loot. I also never, ever fast travel, which pads out the game time a lot. All my favourite moments have come from unexpected adventures on my travels though! I am also a bad one for reading every book/terminal etc. and poking in all the cupboards. I like just making my way and being a citizen in these worlds and generally put off the 'you're the chosen one' main quest stuff to the end. I usually don't spend more than 100 hours on any one game but those Bethesda games really grab me.

The funny thing is I only started playing Morrowind to prove to myself that it was rubbish and all these people must be crazy. Hmm.

WoW again for me, for a few years it was all I played. A lot of the reason was the guild I was in, which included @moosegrinder who replied earlier. Everyone was happy to help everyone else, no one got pissy when we wiped, and the feeling of mutual achievement. It was an ace time. It was also exploring with that group, I remember jumping into 5-man dungeons as soon as they opened in Lich King and Cataclysm, not having a clue of the layout or the bosses but we just found out way round it. I've said for years one of the best moments I've had in gaming was taking down Professor Putricide finally, and the shouts coming from everybody over the speakers was brilliant. And on my birthday one year people asked me to to Booty Bay, loads of the guild were there, they game me in game presents, we all had a dance, it was a proper little community. Or the race to collect more pets than a guildy, all kinds of stuff.

Why did I stop? A lot of the guild stopped, I needed to spend more time not in game and doing dungeons with randoms was painful sometimes, people just being unpleasant dicks. And I thought Pandaria was a bit shit. But it was still one of my favourite times. A fair few of us met up in real life too and that was fun. And we've kept in touch. One of the couples who played in the guild have just had their first baby. Good times, but it was for a certain time.

Skyrim must be 200 hours on all versions, Persona 3, 4, 5 and Q I played without touching any other games 100+ hours each easy. And they were because of the story, Skyrim was making my own story.

There's a massive gulf between a couple that I really sunk into and basically everything else.

I've put over 1000 hours into Diablo III on PC, and though the console versions don't count your play time I'd estimate somewhere between 400-500 over PS3 and PS4. The other one is Phantasy Star Online which I once totted up between Dreamcast and Gamecube versions and arrived at around 1500 hours.

Once you get past those, and WoW (which I've played a lot but nowhere near most long-time players) it just gets to a handful of JRPGs I've played a couple or more times, Rock Band, and MGSV - all that I can think of that have topped 100 hours.

My gaming life is to just wander from game to game until something totally hooks me, then I don’t play anything else until it’s done. Most games I’ll play for a few hours or so, usually no more than 10. Only a couple of games a year will get me ‘totally hooked’. Can be quite disheartening when I can’t find something, but have a few hours’ play on 10+ games :(

A good, fun adventure/RPG with great dialogue will usually get me, a decent Metroidvania, or a multiple-stage puzzle game.

The game I’ve probably spent the most time on is Tetris DX. Played it every night before bed for the best part of a year. Played it so much that the part of the label that stuck out of my GBA completely wore off.

probably Modern Warfare 3 on PS3, dunno why but played that one way more than the others, think i didnt have much money at the time, the one with the javelin, just fire it randomly in the air and sometimes get kills 10 seconds later