Sign in to follow this  
Nequests

Nightclubs in Video Games

Absurd dancing animations! Flashing lights! Weirdly dated electronic music of various genres! These are often my favourite areas in games, though I'm not quite sure why.

Share interesting nightclubs, bars, whatever from games. The more ridiculous the better.

• Upvote 7

This one? Looks fantastic for the Wii. Bonus points for the muffled music in the back office, but minus points for playing the moody score over it. 

Also probably the only Deadmaus tune I can stand (thanks to DJ Hero). Guess Activision got some bulk licensing deal on that one.

• Upvote 1

I'd completely forgotten about that one. Rare put a club in Conker, too.

Did Perfect Dark have a cyberpunk club? I feel like it should have, but I can't recall one.

• Upvote 2

Persona has Club Escapade in Tatsumi Port Island; you don’t get to do a whole lot there but you can find Vincent from Catherine there, and it’s home to the “King’s Game” scene... ;) 

Skip to 16m:

• Upvote 2

Ragna Rock from Max Payne stands out in my mind. It’s not really a nightclub scene in the same sense as the others posted, but it’s a great location. Going in past the ticket booth, working through the backstage areas with a distant industrial tune getting louder as you approach the bar. Lupino’s crazed ramblings in the old church. Lovely stage-setting.

3 hours ago, Nequests said:

I'd completely forgotten about that one. Rare put a club in Conker, too.

Did Perfect Dark have a cyberpunk club? I feel like it should have, but I can't recall one.

I love Rock Solid, I was listening to this just the other day. I think it was Perfect Dark Zero which had a nightclub section. 

2 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Hotline Miami stage 8, the awesome miami disco by pertubator fuelling the dance floor slaughter, really warms my cockles 

I can't let this go without a video. This stage is the game for me, the whole feeling condensed into one short burst. It's a fantastic track and the level uses it perfectly.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, strawdonkey said:

Streets of Rage 3: 

I was going to say close the thread, we have a winner, but...

Spoiler

Sega wins again:

tumblr_inline_ottjnjLurQ1t9mqf1_540.gif

tumblr_ol1i58nXTk1r7sijxo1_500.gif

1494506931363.gif

tumblr_inline_ottjqjbIJZ1t9mqf1_540.gif

• Upvote 9

SEGA loves the club. Streets of Rage 3 uses all the same visual effects as Revenge of Shinobi did on Boss 2 in the club:

Great topic - I always think the club settings in games are going to be great and exciting but inevitably they end up disappointing and shallow. Real life.

• Upvote 3

Amazing stuff. So many nightclubs I'd forgotten. The AvP one came flooding back to me the moment the video started.

Took longer than expected for Yakuza to appear. Obviously this is the of the finest things in gaming:

This mini-game in GTA: the Ballad of Gay Tony is honestly one of my favourite things I've ever done in a game. It's just absolutely joyous:

TBoGT was the fun version of GTAIV, and this bit in particular was a completely uncomplicated and unself-conscious celebration of dancing in a nightclub - the dream of a tune coming on that's so banging that everybody launches into a choreographed dance routine. Watching it again, it's not quite as banging as I remember, and some of the dance moves are bizarre, but with headphones or decent speakers, this was absolutely thrilling back in the day.

Much as I loved TBoGT and the fantasy of running a nightclub, I was always slightly annoyed that there were three nightclubs in the game, and the only one you didn't own was the best one. The gay club had amazing music but was tiny, the straight club was big and very cool but had slightly nondescript music, and the final one was massive and played banging cheese, but you only ever went in there for one mission and could never access it again. This one bit in the video was a tiny window back into that vibe.

• Upvote 1