Benny

The Official Rllmuk Awards 2018 - Get Your Votes in Before January 14th!

Extend the deadline poll  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I didn't want to say anything during the voting in case @Benny was enraged by any posts that weren't nominations, like some kind of list-compiling Hideki Kamiya, but the effort spent putting these threads together is much appreciated :wub: looking forward to the results.

Game of the Year

A1. Celeste

A virtually perfect marriage of gameplay, visuals, music and plot. Games like Celeste are why I play games.

A2. Hollow Knight

A3. Into The Breach

If Picross, Sudoku, Advance Wars and one of those slidey-block puzzles had a baby, just puzzly tactical heaven.

A4. Super Smash Bros Ultimate

A5. Astro Bot Rescue Mission

Both justifies and highlights the issues with VR, in that it's fantastic, but I still haven't finished it because setting up and using the VR headset is such a pain in the arse.

Biggest Disappointment of the Year (game, hardware, or anything else)

Z1. Morphie's Law

God what a shit-show.

Z2.

Z3.

Z4.

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Celeste

S2. Hollow Knight

S3. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Visual Design of the Year

V1. Hollow Knight

V2. Celeste

V3. Yoku's Island Express

Writing of the Year

W1. Celeste

W2.

W3.

Gaming Format (System) of the Year

F1. Switch

Publisher or Developer of the Year

P1. Matt Makes Games

Best Supported Game (released pre 2018) of the Year

B1. Fortnite

I've tried to get into this and it just won't stick, but you can't deny it's well supported.

Your game of the year that didn't come out this year (basically what is your favourite game you played this year that came out in 2017 or earlier)

X1. Doom (2016)

Best game character of the year

C1.Madeline (Celeste)

C2.

C3.

• Upvote 1

Game of the Year

A1. Hollow Knight (Switch)

"A game that feels like it was made just for me. Brings Souls series elements back to Metroidvanias and mixes them up with the fluid control and boss design of the Megaman Zero games. I can't think of a mix of ideas that is more tantalising than that for me personally. I've gushed about it enough in the Hollow Knight thread, but it's the best game I've played in years."

A2. Red Dead Redemption 2

"Graphically, it's incredible, and the writing is mostly fantastic, though it has its ups and downs, but being able to cultivate my own daily routine allowed me to inhabit the character of Arthur Morgan in a way totally unlike any video game avatar I've controlled before. I loved waking up, grabbing some coffee from the campfire, and having a cigarette while I took a moment to admire the morning sunlight filtering through the trees. Then maybe shouting at the reverend to wake his ass up."

A3. Celeste

"I only picked this up recently, or it might have made its way higher up my list. Superb, tight puzzle platforming and extremely generous."

A4. Into The Breach

"Knowing what your enemies will do each turn is a stroke of genius. Not quite as infinitely replayable as I'd hoped, but I love having a quick run every now and then to scratch the occasional strategy game itch."

A5. Octopath Traveler

"I'm sad this didn't turn out to be the stone cold throwback classic I was hoping for, but the battle system alone was enough to hold my attention through the game, and doing the optional content was most fun I've had playing a JRPG in a long time. Besides, who could hate such nice sprites?"

Z1. Switch release schedule

"Yes, the selection of indies is incredible, if a little pricey, but I spent an awful lot of this year wishing I had more to play on the console."

Z2. Chasm 

"I kickstarted this, and even though the alphas and betas that got released over the years never filled me with much in the way of anticipation, I was hoping the developers would manage to pull it off in the end. Sadly the randomisation works against the game as it means too many connecting corridors with too much bland combat and too much directionless backtracking. It's a shame, as it looks gorgeous and nails the feel of SotN, but ultimately ends up quite shallow and more than a little boring. At least it got me to buy Hollow Knight when I was looking for a meatier metroidvania to play though!"

Z3. Bayonetta 2 (Switch)

"It's still a really great game, and I'm glad they got rid of all the mini-games that plagued the original, but I'm sad I just didn't get hooked in the same way."

Z4. Availability of fibre optic broadband in my stupid flat.

"I miss playing Street Fighter on the internet."

Z5. Octopath Traveler

"If only they hadn't mentioned FF6 so much in the marketing before it was released."

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Octopath Traveler

S2. Hollow Knight

S3. Red Dead Redemption 2

V1. Red Dead Redemption 2

V2. Hollow Knight

V3. Octopath Traveler

Writing of the Year

W1. Red Dead Redemption 2

W2.

W3.

F1. Switch

"Even though I was disappointed in the release schedule last year, I still love the hardware, and played it more than any other console, so I guess it wins by default."

P1.

B1. Final Fantasy Record Keeper

"Yes, it's a gacha game, but it has the best battle system in any Final Fantasy and boasts utterly gorgeous sprite work and animations to boot. By paring down your battle options to a mere two player-chosen abilities, the strategic layer of the game becomes closer to something like an MTG or Netrunner style deck-builder, but the fights themselves test both strategy and execution, their rhythm-action intensity especially felt in the endgame. It's difficult to recommend as it's a big time investment, but has been incredibly rewarding to play, and is still going from strength to strength as it nears its 5th year.

Your game of the year that didn't come out this year (basically what is your favourite game you played this year that came out in 2017 or earlier)

X1. The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild

"Did a full replay of this to finally do the DLC, and had just as good a time as the year before."

C1. Tim Rogers

C2. Dung Defender

C3. Zote

• Upvote 1

When I'm good and ready. The polls are still open until midnight anyway for some last minute upsets. Better get those votes in if you don't want Fallout 76 to win.

okay fine

Game of the Year

A1. Deltarune

I loved Undertale, and I still feel a little apprehensive about going back and undoing the extremely rewarding ending it had (and you know it would remember that somehow). Then, out of nowhere during Halloween, we get ourselves the first episode of a sequel.

It's just as good as the original, brings in a new and enjoyable ATB system, and drills even more amazing music into your brain than before. For free. Just. What.

A2. Destiny 2: Forsaken

To be honest, this recommendation goes out to the very, very good quality of life improvements they have given to the game over the past year, as well as both the decent Forsaken campaign and the welcome long-tail plans the game has had through Warmind up until now. Drops are no longer a straight rush for power, Exotic weapons are exciting to use and I now have a variety of ways to shoot the mans with my fellow excellent clan members. The Last Wish raid is good fun and provides a good level of challenge, the environments they've brought in are great, and even the original cashgrab events from Year 1 are vastly improved to provide activities that are... well, enjoyable.

A3. Bloodstained: Curse of The Moon

I'll keep it as simple as the game itself - It's a pretty fucking great rip-off of the OG Castlevanias.

A4. God of War

I really, really didn't like the original God Of War series. Fights were mind-numbingly simple, the plot and characters crude and the content usually cringeworthy.

Santa Monica's God of War is fantastic. A weighty, brutal means of combat, combined with incredible set pieces strung together by excellent characters and entertaining dialogue. It's an adult God of War that doesn't revolve around gore and tits to make it adult.

A5. Monster Hunter World

Probably the most user-friendly and accessible Monster Hunter has ever been, combined with still being tense to play and looking gorgeous to boot.

Z1. Playstation Classic

The true meaning of disappointment - My excitement for this went from 0 to 60 and back again.

The concept and the initial set of games were great - But ultimately, When it comes to a console that had such a vast catalogue of excellent games, no-one would be happy with the result of 20 games. Especially when considering the accessibility of these on preexisting hardware.

This is without taking into account the bizarre reality of NTSC and PAL mixed titles, and underwhelming emulation performance using open source emulation which Sony would have shuttered 20 years back and cheap internal hardware that a £30 single board computer can compete with.

Z2. Epic Store

Feel free to read this as 'I'm just really fucking mad that I have to get another fucking program to pay an uncompetitive, no CD Key aggregated price to play Supergiant's Hades'.

Z3. Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection

On one hand, the games in the collection themselves were fine, but the bizarre lobby system fucked up everyone's intentions to continue playing it.

Z4. Metal Wolf Chaos's remaster being announced, then delayed for about six months

Looks like it will be Game of the Year 2019, then!

Z5. Fallout 76

Surprise - I don't think this game is terrible to the point that I'll act online like Todd Howard personally came around to shit on my carpet and punch my dog. I refrained from getting the game on launch because... well, I thought it looked shit from the Beta. But watching people play it warmed me to how it played out, like some odd mix of Fallout 3 and No Man's Sky. Bought it for £20, and I'd say it's current price of sub-£15 on PC is a worthwhile punt.

It's not without problems, mind - Outright abrasive enemy level scaling that has little to no rhyme or reason, flaccid instance capacity (20 players max in THAT amount of environment?), and stingy storage that's further impacted by dodgy UI makes the game anywhere from a chore to an outright farce if you don't game the system. And at that point, it's more about playing the game's system as opposed to... playing the game.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Deltarune

Rude Buster is fucking bangers.

S2. Destiny 2: Forsaken

Just a really strong suite of themes that's used throughout the DLC campaign, the Dreaming City, and ultimately the thematic crescendos of the Last Wish Raid. And if you don't like that, they go in and shoehorn Paul McCartney's Hope for the Future for a laff.

S3. Fallout 76

The radio stations are basically a 'greatest hits' of Fallout 3 and 4, which is fine as the music is one of the few things they fucked up in Fallout 4. Likewise, the ambient music that plays in 76 is perfectly fine, and one of the few things they fucked up in 76.

It's one of the few things they fucked up, really.

V1. Dragon Ball Fighter Z

Game is Anime.

V2. Monster Hunter World

Looks absolutely fantastic on PC, All the environments look super pretty that it's actually a treat to play the waiting game during big hunts over several areas. Super fluid animations and lots of fancy effects on screen that, at least from memory, didn't impair the gameplay. So that's good.

V3. God of War

Great looking, gritty game that runs solidly even on a bog-standard PS4. Doesn't skip a beat visually, and the animation and camerawork during the scripted stuff is awe-inspiring.

Writing of the Year

W1. Deltarune

It’s more Undertale. It made me laugh like a drain, still had really heartfelt moments, and still makes me want more from Toby Fox.

W2. Yakuza 0

I ran out of steam at this point in terms of writing GOTY stuff (I'm backtracking). Same shit as Deltarune - Proper laugh out loud moments in a game that still has a means to floor you sometimes.

F1. PC

Even with everyone opening their own shop on the internet and the latest tech costing a bomb for no good reason, It's still the eternal platform for videogames - running the gamut of free-to-play and free games, the best versions of the latest games at acceptable prices, cutting edge emulation of the last console generations, and plenty of resources to ensure that at least most of the games we're playing now will still be playable in years to come.

P1. Digital Extremes (Warframe)

A great game, but one that's ran by quite possibly the nicest group of developers seen in the public eye in modern times. Continual community engagement through working with Twitch communities via streamers and their own community shows, Weekly Devstreams, Fan engagements like Tennocon, as well as actively supporting and patching their game.

What makes them better than others though is, well, how human(e) they are. They're not above seeing faults in Warframe and talk about the rough times they had when creating the game, launching it, and nearly going bust because of it. Devstreams very much involve poking behind the curtain and showing things that aren't ready to be seen. The community managers very much have a sense of humour and have no issues ripping into each other or the 'influencers' they engage in for comedy and, well, because everyone's friends.

It's a group of guys and girls who just wanted to work on a cool game about space ninjas forever. They're now a studio that's successfully running and working on a cool game about space ninjas, and let's hope that's forever.

B1. Path of Exile

Another year, another 300+ hours pumped into this game. Since the last time I submitted this game, it’s had four league releases – The ambitious yet awkward Bestiary League, The amazing Incursion league, Delve brought in an infinite dungeon and the current Betrayal League pulls all the previously mentioned leagues into the main game as sub-segments, brings in a great sub-system of challenges and rewards, and completely revamps the item crafting system. Quite frankly, a mind-boggling amount of content for a free game – Grinding Gear Games continued to build against what was supposed to be competition against Diablo 4, and... well, we all know how well Blizzcon went this year.

X1. Yakuza 0

I know the PC port would count, but I started playing this because it was cheap on the PS4. Quite frankly, it’s brilliant – I love the livliness of Kamurocho, I love the fighting, I love racing little toy cars, I love managing a hostess club for 10+ hours by itself, I love how fucking great all the characters are, I love how some of the silliest sidequests just end up tugging all of your heartstrings right at the end of them, I love running the fuck away from a massive guy that will just beat the shit out of you for your money. I... just love how great this game is.

C1. Daisaku Kuze (Yakuza 0)

Yeah, Majima’s the star of Yakuza 0. However, Kuze absolutely makes Kiryu’s half of the game, and absolutely feels instrumental – Narratively, and gameplay wise, as he always feels like the guy you HAVE to beat to know you’re ready for the following chapters of the game.

The fact that he’s a thoroughly nasty, relentless and double-hard bastard every time you see him reinforces that. Oh, and that second boss fight against him is easily my favourite boss introduction ever. it’s just fucking wild.

C2. Mimir (God of War)

Not only entertaining and an incredibly wordy fellow that acts as a foil and sometimes the voice of reason to the less-than-chatty Kratos, but also provides most of the lore in the game via those wonderful boat conversations. Pretty much instrumental to my enjoyment of the game.

C3. Suzie (Deltarune)

If Undertale’s modus operadi was to drive home the fact that players had a choice when it came to the happiness of the Underground dwellers, Suzie exists to remind you that there’s no such thing in Deltarune. From removing choice from your actions to being completely uncontrollable in battle to the point where you have to warn your enemies that she’s going to royally fuck their day up, Suzie’s as refreshing as those times in Darkest Dungeon where your favourite stress-addled knight robs treasure for himself and screams obscenities – without, uh, completely fucking up your game.

• Upvote 8

Game of the Year

A1. Sea of Thieves - I had more fun with this than any other game this generation

A2. Forza Horizon 4 - I thought I was getting bored with FH after no.3 but good God they've done something special with this

A3. Red Dead Redemption 2 - Made me rewatch Deadwood in preparation. A bold move with the pacing but it immerses you utterly in it's world and characters.

A4. Far Cry 3 Classic Edition - My favourite FC made nicer

A5. Metropolis Lux Obscura - Sin City inspired match 3 puzzler, terrible yet compulsive.

Z1. Xbox Elite pad falling to bits

Z2. The critical reception of Sea of Thieves.

Z3. My ever growing mountain of shame that grows exponentially every month thanks to GWG, Game Pass and Backwards Compatibility

Z4. Youtubers, Streamers and Influencers critiquing games/industry while selling their souls for hits and $$$$$$

Z5. The Industry shaming itself with a new controversy on a daily basis.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Sea of Thieves - every sound is gameplay related.

S2. Forza Horizon 4 - There's sound everywhere and it changes every week

S3. Red Dead Redemption 2 - 

V1. Red Dead Redemption 2 - That 4K level of detail

V2. Sea of Thieves - The Sea

V3. Forza Horizon 4 - Seasons

Writing of the Year

W1. The sheer volume & delivery of voice acting in Red Dead Redemption 2

W2. Hitman 2 - Every NPC conversation having genuine wit.

W3. 

F1. Xbox One X

P1. Microsoft - Game Pass & Backwards Compatibility

B1. Forza Motorsport 7

X1. Forza Motorsport 7

C1. 

C2.

C3.

• Upvote 1

God, give me a minute? 

I'm sure you've all been waiting for this, but here's my games of the year so far (I may end up playing games I like more as part of the awards writeups but got to start somewhere, right?):

Game of the Year

A1. Dark Souls Remastered - I can't imagine a year where I get an opportunity to vote for Dark Souls again where I won't vote for Dark Souls at the top. It's the best game I played this year.

A2. Wipeout VR - Some sort of wizardry is at work here

A3. Black Mirror: Bandersnatch - With the stipulation that criteria for voting is that it be interactive entertainment, this is one of the most interesting interactive experiences I've had all year.

A4. Red Dead Redemption 2 - I'll have a lot to say about this one, you'll just have to wait.

A5. Overload - A spiritual successor to the Descent series, this gets nearly everything right for fans of the originals, right down to some unfortunately punishing difficulty later on.

Biggest Disappointment of the Year (game, hardware, or anything else)

Z1. PUBG still being a buggy mess - I really enjoy PUBG for the most part, but it's been officially out of early access for a very long time now and it still has glaring bugs that have been there since the start. The "Fix PUBG" event was a joke.

Z2. Sonic Mania Plus -I finally got round to trying this this year after all the praise a while ago. Unfortunately, while it's clearly a joyful labour of love, too often the classic problems with the Sonic series raised their ugly head: losing direct control of Sonic as he madly gets shunted round later levels only to run into enemies, or hidden dangers that you have no hope of avoiding on the first run.

Z3. PlayStation Classic - A genuinely awful missed opportunity that smacks of bandwagon jumping.

Z4. Red Dead Redemption 2 - I'll have a lot to say about this one, you'll just have to wait.

Z5. Shit industry working practices - the more that comes out about working conditions and the treatment of employees working in the industry the better. Hopefully it might change.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Red Dead Redemption 2 - I'll have a lot to say about this one, you'll just have to wait.

S2. Sonic Mania Plus - I may have not got on with the game itself, but by God those are some banging tunes.

S3. Overload - Mostly for the music, which is a throwback to 90s PC gaming midi in the exact right way.

Visual Design of the Year

V1. Red Dead Redemption 2 - I'll have a lot to say about this one, you'll just have to wait.

V2. Gris - I confess I haven't actually played it, but even just seeing a trailer is enough to vote for it in this category.

V3. Wipeout VR - wizardry etc.

Writing of the Year

W1. Black Mirror: Bandersnatch - a narrative that makes you think about the narrative journey and the nature of interactive control itself, and is a direct commentary on it. I thought it was great.

W2. Red Dead Redemption 2- I'll have a lot to say about this one, you'll just... Look stop asking okay?

W3. Dark Souls Remastered - The thing that struck me most about going back to Dark Souls again after all this time is just how much I hadn't noticed or kenned before, and it's wonderful to still be peeling back the onion.

F1. PSVR - still being supported with some of the best games made being released on it. VR is not quite dead yet.

P1. Revival Productions - I caught myself the other day thinking, "I loved Descent II, why don't they make games like that any more?" which lead to trying to find out how best to play Descent II today, only for me to discover that the original developers had not only been working on a spiritual successor to Descent, but that it had come out this year and was great!

Best Supported Game (released pre 2018) of the Year

B1. Overwatch - Blizzard continue to be fully invested in keeping the game balanced and fresh. Ashe in particular was the smoothest introduction of a new character they've ever done, as she felt like she belonged in the game since the start.

Your game of the year that didn't come out this year (basically what is your favourite game you played this year that came out in 2017 or earlier)

X1. Crusader Kings II - I'm sad I didn't play this game before now. It's the best plot hatching, despot making, incest enabling, dying of the pox role playing game ever made.

C1. Sadie Adler (RDR2) - I'm not far enough in it yet to pick favourites, but one mission in particular put Sadie in the top spot.

C2. The naturalist (can't remember his name in RDR2)

C3. Goro Majima - Yakuza 0 came out on PC this year, fuck it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I could have voted for Majima again? :(

Within the rules, of course. Yakuza 0 came out this year on PC. If you want to change something you can but be quick.

On 07/12/2018 at 19:09, Benny said:

Game of the Year

A1. God of War

A2. Hollow Knight (Switch)

A3. Celeste (Switch)

A4. Astro Bot Rescue Mission

A5. Red Dead Redemption 2

Z1. Nothing, with gaming time being selective I've managed to only play stuff I've enjoyed this year

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Celeste

S2. Hollow Knight

S3. Beat Saber

V1. God of War

V2. Hollow Knight

V3. Astro Bot Rescue Mission

Writing of the Year

W1. Red Dead Redemption 2

W2. God of War

W3. South Park: Fractured But Whole

F1. PS4

P1. Sony

B1. Battlefield 1 (new maps, new game modes, new guns etc)

X1. Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus

C1. Arthur Morgan (RDR2)

C2. Brok (God of War)

C3. Kyle Schwartz (Kyle cousin in SP:FBW. He cracks me up everytime he's on screen)

Ah shit @Benny did I miss it then.

I can accept one more maybe, but don't delay. I extended it multiple times. So if anyone else wants to vote be quick.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I could have voted for Majima again? :(

I did. Did you not play Yakuza Kiwami 2? Majima Construction and the amazing corporate song was an integral part of Yakuza Kiwami 2, and through that Majima running around in a yellow hard hat for the pretty much the entirety of the game gets him in.

On 21/12/2018 at 13:26, Mr. Gerbik said:

Game of the Year

A1. Hitman 2 - better than Blood Money. Yes, I've said it. Amazingly intricate and detailed sandbox levels containing a mesmerizing amount of interwoven environmental puzzles with complete freedom to poke at and manipulate as the player sees fit. It's a master class in game design, one that only becomes apparent after putting in a bit of time following the (fun and often hilarious) scripted mission stories to give you a feel for the possibilities. After that, you start exploring and the deeper in you get, the more impressive and immersive it gets. I'm not one to play the same shit over and over, but these Hitman 2 levels have a way of keeping me enthralled, with almost every run revealing new secrets, which in turn get me thinking about all the new possibilities, leading to new runs and experimenting, leading to new discoveries etc etc

A2. Vampyr - After a terrible start which almost put me off the game entirely, Vampyr kept improving as the game went on until it became one of my all-time favourite RPGs. The writing improves alongside the rest of the game and kept me on the edge of my seat until the very end. The streets of London are atmospheric, spooky, and a joy to explore. Special mention to the NPCs: part of the gameplay has you looking for clues to reveal further info about each NPC, which unlocks more questions you can ask them and also makes them worth more xp should you choose to kill them. But more often than not, this also reveals surprising aspects of their personalities, making them feel a lot more three-dimensional than in most RPGs.

A3. Mark of the Ninja Remastered - the best 2D stealth game - and one of the best stealth games ever full stop - arrives in remastered form on the current generation. It's still brilliant.

A4. Dragon Quest XI - a JRPG that gave me the same feels of joy playing it as the very best classic JRPGs on the SNES. Easily the best JRPG since Suikoden 2.

A5. Spider-Man - if you like swinging, you'll love this game!

Z1. Red Dead Redemption 2 - RDR1 was one of my favourite games of the previous generation, but the cumbersome controls, the tired Rockstar mission design, the stilted, typical Rockstar writing, and the messy way new systems have been piled up on top of each other without anyone involved in the design ever stopping and wondering whether it's actually fun - it all made RDR2 a game that I just didn't enjoy playing. At all. Not the worst game of the year by any stretch, but definitely my personal biggest disappointment as my expectations we so high.

Z2. PlayStation Classic - it's Sony, but they still managed to fuck this up in spectacular ways nobody could have foreseen

Z3. Me not having played a bunch of games yet that probably deserve to be on my list - Obra Dinn, Kiwami 2 et etc (glad I got Hitman 2 in!)

Z4. Crunch for not only still existing in this industry, but also for idiots like that Rockstar boss bragging about crunch like it's a good thing

Z5. Street Fighter V - disappointing all year, every year

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Vampyr - the streets of olde London sound disturbingly spooky

S2. God of War - it looks epic and it SOUNDS EPIC - BOY!!!

S3.

V1. Hitman 2 - dem sandbox levels, such atmosphere, such variety

V2. Spider-Man - prettiest New York ever seen in a game

V3. Dragonball FighterZ - just fucking incredible. Capcom should be ashamed of themselves after seeing this.

Writing of the Year

W1. Vampyr - after a really weak start, the game gets better and better further in. Same goes for the writing, the start of the game would probably qualify for biggest disappointment of the year, but for some reason the writing kept improving until it easily became the winner of this category for me. It kept me on the edge of my seat as few game stories can. Sublime.

W2. Hitman 2 - specifically for all the small moments which involve 47 blending in and keeping up the charade by falling back on the only thing he knows - assassinating. Whether he's a hippie, a construction worker, or a painter, 47 always keeps true to his character. Patient: "I hope you can also do something about this pain in my neck I've been having." Doctor 47: "Don't worry, once I'm done you won't feel a thing".

W3. Spider-Man - the cutscenes and general dialogue are a lot better than what you'd automatically expect from these kinds of blockbuster games. Usually it's competent, good enough, but never a lot better than average. Insomniac went above and beyond with the writing, and they also managed to make it feel true to the comic books. Special mention for the hilarious JJJ podcasts.

F1.  Xbox One X

P1. IO Interactive - almost went under when Squeenix decided Hitman wasn't viable enough, thankfully they were allowed to buy themselves out and take their Hitman ip with them. They promptly escaped from a maximum-security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as an independent developer I mean, they took what they had and put out Hitman 2. A game that turned out to be the best in the series thus far and also GotY 2018.

B1. Prey -  We gotta Prey just to make it today!

X1. Prey - it's System Shock 3, isn't it? It easily outdoes all the Shock-games so far (Bio, System, or otherwise) and it's one of my favourite games of this entire generation. I played it a year too late for it to be included in my GotY 2017 list.

C1. 47 (Hitman 2) - Target: "I'm hungry! What's good?" 47, disguised as food vendor: "Everything is to die for"

C2. Jonathan Reid (Vampyr) - He's a doctor and a vampire, what a conundrum! He also manages to be sympathetic despite all that.

C3. Rab (Dragon Quest XI) - "I read it for the articles!"

C3. Rab (Dragon Quest XI) - "I read it for the articles!"

Changed to:

C3. Goro Majima (Yakuza Zero PC) - Because it's Majima, he's the best. Play Yakuza Zero if you like videogames!

:ph34r:

Just now, gossi the dog said:

I did. Did you not play Yakuza Kiwami 2? Majima Construction and the amazing corporate song was an integral part of Yakuza Kiwami 2, and through that Majima running around in a yellow hard hat for the pretty much the entirety of the game gets him in.

Not yet! Bought it on day one of course, but you know how it goes...

Right, the list is now absolutely final. You can continue to post your games of the year lists in here if you like and have missed the deadline, but no new votes or edits will be counted. Sorry.

• Upvote 4

I'm not going to change mine, as Benny has been lieniant enough, and to be fair, it's 2019 now so it can go on my list in Dec.

I played my first Yakuza game, and Majima is such a gift to this world. :wub:

Gah, really thought of adding Bndersnatch to the list. Definitely one of the most amazing interactive experiences, well, ever if it came as a surprise to you.

Also should’ve put Doc Oc over Spider-Man. Everyone who voted for him’s right, a truly exceptional re-telling of the character which made it feel completely fresh.

On 14/01/2019 at 20:07, Siri said:

A1. Deltarune

I came close to putting this on top of my list on several occasions. It's so good and I'm really surprised it hasn't attracted more votes.

• Upvote 2