Benny

The Official Rllmuk Awards 2018 - Get Your Votes in Before January 14th!

Extend the deadline poll  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Game of the Year
A1. Tetris Effect

"Music and Tetris, a single plinking piano that hits a beat with each line, gradually building into a crescendo of jazz as the tetriminos drop quicker and the level gets hectic - with a crash of cymbals as a Tetris four liner slots home - and relax... For a moment! And that is just one level, one score, one song, one mode. Genius. Possibly the best version of Tetris ever created."

A2. Read Dead Redemption 2

A3. X4: Foundations

"I've only just started playing this, just over a week I think and it's consumed 79 hours already. Albeit some of that time I've just left it running while getting on with other things, it earns for you while you wait you see. But, despite the bugs and issues, I can totally get on-board with the developers on this one. It's quirky, its menu systems are amazing in their lack of user design, its graphics aren't the best, it sometimes crashes, but it appeals to that world building bit inside me. I want more ships, I want more stations, I want to be as powerful as any of the societies that currently dwarf me, I want to wipe out the enemies of my friends, did I say I want more ships? Can see me playing this one, on and off, for the next 12 months easily and if support continues perhaps even longer than that."

A4. Labo
A5. Astro Bot

Biggest Disappointment of the Year (game, hardware, or anything else)
Z1. Playstation Classic

"How did Sony make this go from a day one pre-order to cancellation? Perhaps those early days' PS1 games were not quite as appealing as Nintendo's SNES classics? Or the realisation that this wan't the PS Classic I was waiting for? The bizarre choice of PAL games? Poor Optimisation? A combination of it all I think."

Z2. Fallout 76

"Oh Bethesda! How on earth did you mess this up so badly?"

Z3. 
Z4.
Z5.

Sound Design of the Year
S1. Tetris Effect
S2. Read Dead Redemption 2
S3.

Visual Design of the Year

V1. Read Dead Redemption 2
V2. Tetris Effect
V3. Astrobot

Writing of the Year

W1. Red Dead Redemption 2

"Not normally one to experience sentiment in a game, but not only did Rockstar manage to stop me from upgrading my horse to a better one due to sentimentality (C'mon gurl), they also made me feel anger towards a character, frustrations with another, care, friendship, loss.... very good. Some might say it was hackneyed and watching Buster Scruggs and comparing the two does show up its weaknesses. But it's a game, open world and yet tightly scripted - and so much dialogue, so many ways to say one thing - I think perhaps I noticed twice or maybe three times speech being repeated. Maybe I was lucky, the story just matched the way I was playing Arthur so snugly. Yeah I was a bad guy, I stole, I killed even, but I had an honour system, a code. Lines I did not want to cross - the reexamination of my own play-style while the story matched it was amazing."

W2.
W3.

Gaming Format (System) of the Year

F1. PC

"Not really surprising as I got a beefy game machine in Jan and have been testing it ever since"

Publisher or Developer of the Year

P1. Rockstar 

"How they managed to get my vanilla PS4 to look almost as good as my PC I don't know (I do - they are a huge dev house after all) totally stunning."

Best Supported Game (released pre 2018) of the Year

B1. Crusader Kings II 

"Version 3.0.1 just came out on the 5th Dec some six years after the original version of the game was released. Yes there is DLC aplenty for it, but even the vanilla owners get the core updates."

Your game of the year that didn't come out this year (basically what is your favourite game you played this year that came out in 2017 or earlier)

X1. Ghost Recon Wildlands (PC) 

"4 player co-op, frenetic fun :) Throwing grenades at each other while bombing around Bolivia in a Llama bus - talk about special forces."

Best game character of the year

C1. Arthur Morgan
C2.
C3.

• Upvote 4

48 minutes ago, Darwock said:

Wait, was Shadow of the Colossus this year? brb editing my post, hopefully before Benny sees it.

I was very clear in the rules: editing entries in original posts (other than for spelling etc) is forbidden. If you wish to make a change you must quote the post and show what you changed and what it changed to. Fortunately I haven't quite started recording entries yet, but this is the only warning I'm giving from this point. If you edit posts and don't do the above, only the first time I record entries in them will count.

Another quietish year this year, for the same reasons, kids, work, sleep, PAH! Oh well; here are some very predictable entries without as many try-hard puns as last year, but more badly written sentiments instead.

Game of the Year

A1. Spider-Man

“I really tough choice but in a year with several well written, great playing games the traversal just about…wait for it…swung it in Spidey’s favour.”

A2. God of War

“Never played a GoW game before and had no interest in this until the hype train chuffed in to the station. And Boy (sorry) am I glad I caught it as GoW was much better than ending up in Birmingham Snow Hill.”

A3. Picross S2

“There’s oxygen and there’s Picross. Oh, and food I guess.”

A4. Into the Breach

“So that’s why I haven’t played many games this year.”

A5. Red Dead Redemption 2

“Beautiful world, great writing, brilliant acting, so much to do. Just imagine how well it must control…”

Biggest Disappointment of the Year (game, hardware, or anything else)

Z1. Fallout 76

“Like many others, I haven’t actually played it. I wanted to but…y’know?”

Z2. Wargroove still not being released

“Patience, patience. *punches wall*”

Z3. Mario Tennis Adventure Mode

“New trawls please!”

Z4. Sea of Thieves

“Wanted to love this bugger, but just couldn’t find the gold, so had to reluctantly hand out the black spot. I did enjoy a few hours of shouting ‘Cabin Fever’ at my play buddy on launch night though.”

Z5. EGX moving back to London

“I know, I know. But it was just nice having one major event I could get to without travelling for hours.”

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Red Dead Redemption 2

“Sumptuous, atmospheric music and perfect incidental sounds.”

S2. Guacamelee 2

“Again, perfect music and a great chicken.”

S3. Super Smash Brother Ultimate

“So. Many. Tunes. And I’ve barely scratched the surface.”

Visual Design of the Year

V1. Red Dead Redemption 2

“Just a perfect sense of place, constantly found myself impressed by the geography of the game.”

V2. Octopath Traveller

“Simply gorgeous sprite work, what all games would look like had 3D not caught on.”

V3. God Of War

“Incredible environments, less so enemies. Always got a chill when the World Serpent was spotted hanging around.”

Writing of the Year

W1. Red Dead Redemption 2

“A great story (mostly) well told. Some amazing characters and actual character progression and not just of the main guy for once. Be it Dutch’s unravelling or Sadie’s hardening there we’re no window dressing companions in this. Just a shame some of the side stories (Henri Lemeiux being an obvious one for me) felt a bit rushed.”

W2. Spider-man

“Well chuffed it wasn’t another origin story, with some brilliantly written characters. PP was pitched spot on as was MJ. Again it’s a shame things seemed to get rushed in the transition from Chapter 2 to Chapter 3.”

W3. God of War

“Only let down by the total heel-turn of Freya at the end, it seemed so against her character. But I felt the frosty relationship of Kratos and Boy, and it’s gradual softening was very well written.”

F1. Playstation 4

P1. Sony

Best Supported Game (released pre 2018) of the Year

B1. Rock Band 4

Your game of the year that didn't come out this year (basically what is your favourite game you played this year that came out in 2017 or earlier)

X1. Night in the Woods

“Goes a bit mental at the end but I was utterly absorbed in Mae’s world for a week. The writing is pitched perfectly and also brought the song ‘Die Anywhere Else’ in to my life.”

C1. Sadie Adler

“Yeah, yeah. Arthur is the lead, but Sadie is the star. In a game full of great characters Sadie stands head and shoulders above everyone for the journey she takes. Anyone who declined to help her in Chapter 6 missed out.”

C2. Arthur Morgan

“A few beats aside; Arthur is Rockstar’s best attempt at the reluctant anti-hero yet.”

C3. Mimir

“A Scottish, mythology spouting, foul-mouthed head…”

• Upvote 6

Game of the Year

A1. Hollow Knight (switch)

A2. Into the Breach (switch)

A3. Monster Hunter World

A4. Celeste

A5. Super Smash Brothers Ultimate

Z1. God of War

Z2. Red Dead Redemption

Z3. 

Z4.

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Hollow Knight (switch)

S2. Celeste

S3. Super Smash Brothers Ultimate

V1. Hollow Knight

V2. Monster Hunter World

V3. Super Smash Brothers Ultimate

Writing of the Year

W1. Celeste

W2. Hollow Knight

W3. 

F1. Nintendo Switch

P1. Nintendo

B1. 

Your game of the year that didn't come out this year (basically what is your favourite game you played this year that came out in 2017 or earlier)

X1. 

C1. Madeline (Celeste)

C2. Hornet (Hollow Knight)

C3. The Knight (Hollow Knight)

• Upvote 1

Game of the Year

A1. Monster Hunter World

A2. Into the Breach

A3. Hollow Knight

A4. Dead Cells

A5. Red Dead Redemption 2

Honourable mentions:
The Tetris Effect, BattleTech, Spider-Man, God of War, Celeste, Cogmind, Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition, Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Diablo 3: Eternal Collection, Lumines Remastered, Okami HD

Z1. Nintendo Online

Z2. Telltale Closure

Z3. Playstation Classic

Z4. Metal Gear Survive

Z5. Chasm

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Tetris Effect

S2. Red Dead Redemption 2

S3. Celeste

V1. Okami HD

V2. Katamari Damacy: Reroll

V3. Dead Cells

Writing of the Year

W1. Spider-man

W2. Red Dead Redemption 2

W3. God of War

F1. Nintendo Switch

P1. Team Cherry

B1. Stellaris

X1. Civilization VI

C1. Sadie Adler (Red Dead Redemption 2)

C2. Mimir (God of War)

C3. Hornet (Hollow Knight)

17 hours ago, Don Wiskerando said:

Edit:  Deleted after reading Benny's rules.  Will post in full at a later date.

You can still post it - just remember to quote the post and show the changes from and to in that post instead of editing the previous one.

Don't the Switch releases of Dark Souls, Okami and Civ 6 count as releases from this year, as opposed to pre-2018, so they shouldn't be in the 'Your game of the year that didn't come out this year category.

Not that it matters. Just being pedantic.

11 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Don't the Switch releases of Dark Souls, Okami and Civ 6 count as releases from this year, as opposed to pre-2018, so they shouldn't be in the 'Your game of the year that didn't come out this year category.

With regards to Civ 6 (as I think I'm the only one that's included it so far) - I only have the PC version and it's my pre-2018 GOTY because of the Rise and Fall expansion which isn't currently available on Switch or the iPhone/iPad versions.

26 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

If the Switch version specifically is mentioned, it cannot compete in that category if it came out in 2018. But previous year's versions can. It's just a fun extra category for games people have loved this year that may have been released a while back and they just discovered, or that they perhaps missed last year.

Here's me. Apologies for all the text. I'd written mini reviews for the top ones already.

Game of the Year

A1. Celeste

“An exceptional piece of 2D platform game design that brilliantly marries the tribulations of its player with the emotions of its character. In mechancial terms, it supplies a simple control scheme that enables supreme precision and then tests it to the limit in a vast array of situations. In design terms, it frequently throws up smart ideas, some familiar, some really quite original, all incoporating mild puzzle elements that have you coaxing insane solutions out of the various environmental features and that narrow yet flexible moveset. The combination of skill and creativity required to advance, and especially to collect the optional strawberries dotted around each stage, is expertly balanced, and while it's often mercilessly exacting you're never asked to do too much in one go. And when you've got a central character who's main trait is self-doubt, leading her to this self-imposed mission to climb Celeste mountain, these continuous, arduous tests become oddly meaningful. As Madeline is frustrated by her own weakness and fear, we are frustrated by our timidity and insufficient skill in the face of the game's tougher layouts. But her tenacity also spurs us into perserverence, and we invariably prove our doubts wrong, as the seemingly impossible turns out to be possible after all. Through the game, we learn with Madeline to believe in ourselves, and by the final ascent jump, grab and dash through the air with effortless precision, spurred on by our successes up to that point. The achievement of finishing Celeste is not attached to some world-saving narrative, but presented to us as it really is - a challenge we accept just to prove something to ourselves - and feels all the more valuable for it.”

A2. Shadow of the Colossus

“I always wanted to play this, and finally got the chance with the remake. What was amazing, regardless of the visual detail and any modern streamlining, was how fresh the core game still felt. The first thing that impresses is its commitment to the setting - a cursed land long abandoned by human inhabitants. The brave move for a game is to leave the huge open plains, deserts and caverns empty, save for a smattering of wildlife and ancient ruins. It's an incredibly evocative piece of world building that centres on your isolation and the singular commitment of the character's mission. But of course, the colossi are the main attraction, and the battles you face increasingly deliver in scale and drama. The pattern of carefully sizing up the features of your opponent and its surroundings to figure out a weakness seems surprisingly original, even though it only expands on established boss battle concepts, and having to earn that opening grants catharsis when finally delivering the fatal blow. Certainly, some of the puzzle elements aren't as well communicated as others, being overly contrived or obscure, but the majority of solutions emerge as rewards for patient observation. There's also a lot of nuance in the simple set of player inputs, with the grab function especially doing a lot of work. Climbing towards a foe's weak point becomes an epic struggle, as each colossus desperately fights to delay the inevitable. And then, when it comes, that catharsis is tinged with melancholy, as the rush of battle dissipates and the reality of your 'achievement' becomes clear. It's the moment that most perfectly encapsulates the game's tragic central theme - the concurrent selfless nobility and selfish violence of your quest.”

A3. Monster Hunter World

“My first Monster Hunter experience and it delivered pretty much exactly what I'd hoped for. For all the details in its wild environments, and the breadth of customisation and crafting at your disposal, it really boils down to a single, infinitely repeated gameplay loop - hunt a monster, collect materials from it, upgrade a weapon, hunt another, tougher monster. There are side quests and expeditions, the distractions of foraging, cultivating resources or directing gatherers to find you more stuff, but these are all minor housekeeping tasks to support the main cycle. The repetition can take its toll, especially in the early game. But then the hours fly by as you farm the materials to realise the latest weapons and armour on your wishlist, and each of the hunts you do in that time is genuinely exciting. The reason it hooks you, aside from tapping into your consumerist drives, is that the monsters themselves put on such a good show. They're big and impressive, plausible yet unusual, and they lumber, roar, bite and slash with real presence. Once the game hits its stride, each new creature is sufficiently different from the last to demand your full attention, careful selection of equipment and bespoke strategies. The hunts follow a regular pattern of chases and confrontations, but the vast array of weapon styles, items, traps and environmental features available means there's always a new way to make them unfold. And that's without factoring in the scope for online teamwork, which adds its own inevitable layer of depth and unpredictability.”

A4. Tetris Effect

“I haven't played Tetris since the Gameboy version and never thought I'd get back into it again, but the audiovisual convergence in this made it instantly fascinating. And once that got me into the game I quickly remembered what a strong concept Tetris always was. It's so simple and precise, yet so flexible, and the tweaks that have been made over the years add more tactical possibilities. In the end, I was never going to get that good at it, and could have done with a bigger TV (or VR) to get the most out of the visual effects, but it was an amazing experience just to play in short bursts. The way you relax into a rhythm with its music and get in the zone with the colours vibrating around the main play area, and then the vocals of a track kick in as you drop a Tetris and a wave of emotion washes over you. There's nothing quite like it.”

A5. Guacamelee 2

“It basically repeats and builds on the previous game, with the same approach to platform/brawling/puzzling but taken up a notch with more imaginative level design. The dimension shifting, colour coding stuff can turn some parts into Ikaruga-like tests of concentration and skill. It's quite the mind fuck at times. It's also very low on padding for such a good sized game, with pretty much every screen offering a slightly different challenge.The humour is more bad than good, but still retains a great sense of fun due to the visuals and music. The only real criticisms I have are minor - fighting sections getting too chaotic so you lose track of your character, and control/response that could just be that tiny bit slicker, given the complexity of the moveset. As another platform game with clever ideas this year, it's not quite Celeste, but it's not far off.”

(Dark Souls Remastered should perhaps be in there – it’s my favourite game ever – but it’s not new to me despite the performance upgrade. Besides, it’s had plenty of praise anyway.)

Z1. Yoku’s Island Express

“I’d read a lot of good things about this and was surprised how bland and tedious it was. Getting around the environment is a slow trudge and the pinball aspect never develops beyond basic target hitting. Charming but really uninspired.”

Z2. Playstation Classic

“I doubt I would’ve bought one anyway, but it was some achievement to make this quite as undesirable as it turned out.”

Z3. Dragon Quest XI

“I liked DQXI but the fact it’s not in my top 5 speaks volumes. I thought it would be nailed on for no. 1 this year and instead it's way down the list.”

Z4. Street Fighter 30th Anniversary

“A dizzying combo (uhuh) of poor online performance, the unsuitable PS4 d-pad and my own decaying skills made this less of an event for me than it could have been.”

Z5. Hollow Knight

“A victim of hype. A good game which really nails (ahem) the Super Metroid structure better than anything else, but the actual content of each area felt too routine, and traipsing around the same paths again and again got tiresome. Still, it’s only disappointing because I’d heard so many great things about it.”

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Tetris Effect

S2. Celeste

S3. Guacamelee 2

V1. Shadow of the Colossus

V2. Dragon Quest XI

V3. Tetris Effect

Writing of the Year

W1. Celeste

W2.

W3.

F1. PS4

P1. Sony

"I wasn't a big fan of God of War, but that along with Shadow of the Colossus and some other big stuff like Spiderman is about as good as it gets this year."

B1.

X1. Rayman Legends

“One of the few PS+ games that I actually ended up playing fully this year. Inventive and great fun.”

C1. Madeline (Celeste)

C2. Chicken Juan (Guacamelee 2)

C3. Rab (Dragon Quest XI)

• Upvote 7

HD remakes are valid though as again they are new and improved releases.

Major expansions and remakes are also eligible, as above

So yes, I'd say it's valid. Also, it's technically a new release on a different platform (PSVR), so even more valid.

Game of the Year

A1. Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

A2. Shenmue I & II (PS4)

A3. Celeste (Switch)

A4. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch)

A5. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Switch)

Z1. Mario Tennis Aces (Switch)

Z2. Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4)

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch)

S2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch)

S3. Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4)

S4. Celeste (Switch)

V1. Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4)

V2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch)

Writing of the Year

W1. Celeste (Switch)

F1. Nintendo Switch

P1. Nintendo

B1. Splatoon 2 (Switch)

X1. Bloodborne (PS4)

C1. Madeline (Celeste)

• Upvote 1

Game of the Year

A1. Sea of Thieves - a gaming experience like no other.  Stunningly beautiful and calming to play one moment, utter chaos the next - no 2 sessions are alike.  When it's good - either as a solo voyage or when you're crewed up with like minded people - it's simply unbeatable.  More and more content is being added which enriches the experience - it's a stunning work of art and it's down to the player to make the best of the tools available.

A2. Red Dead Redemption 2 - better than I had hoped, a gorgeous, believable, living environment combined with an engaging storyline and strong characters.  I'll be playing this for a while.

A3. Forza Horizon 4 - I love the British setting, I love the way the seasons work and as it was the first game I ever played in 4K, I'll always love it.  Arsing around on photo mode is a good laugh as well.

A4. Overcooked! 2 - I've found a game that I can play with the kids that they don't seem to tire of!  This is brilliant fun

Z1. Playstation Classic - it's awful

Z2. Jurassic World Evolution - what a missed opportunity

Z3. The cancellation of Lego Dimensions (I think that was this year?)

V1. Red Dead Redemption 2

V2. Astrobot

V3. Sea of Thieves

• Upvote 2

Game of the Year

A1. Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight

A2. Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight

A3. Celeste

A4. Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition

A5. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux

Z1. Nintendo Switch Online

Z2.

Z3.

Z4.

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Celeste

S2.

S3.

V1. Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight

V2. Celeste

V3.

Writing of the Year

W1.

W2.

W3.

F1. PS4

P1. Atlus

B1.

X1. Nier: Automata

C1. Mitsuru Kirijo

C2.

C3.

• Upvote 3

Game of the Year

A1. Hollow Knight

"Hollow Knight felt like a great example of dumping you in a world and asking you to get on with it. The controls are tight and the combat is very satisfying, and while there's a bit too much trudging around at times there's a real delight in discovering and unlocking the (still very inconvenient) fast travel.

It's very difficult, but always felt like you could master it with enough practice - and despite being unsettling as shit in places there were some really wonderful moments where you'd just marvel at the destroyed beauty of the archaeology."

A2. Deltarune Vol. 1

"This was so close to occupying the top spot. Hollow Knight is excellent but finding that this had stealth-released on Halloween made me genuinely excited in a way that very little else does, and everything about it made me feel a mixture of trepidation, and the feeling you had when you got a Megadrive at Christmas.

Deltarune (hey it's an anagram of Undertale!) is Toby Fox's newest thing, and it dials everything up to 11 - the dialogue is even more ridiculous, the one-liners are genuinely hilarious, the battle system is well thought-out and some of the music might even be better than Undertale's (and I used to hum "Asgore" to my infant son to calm him down in the middle of the night because apparently I am a tragic excuse for a human being). Even the download page and installer are wonderful. It is completely free and it gave me probably the best Halloween I've ever had."

A3. Into the Breach

"Very inventive SRPG that doesn't outstay its welcome - a single playthrough is about 2-3 hours - and once you're victorious, starts changing the rules in loads of fun and inventive ways. Just knock it down to Easy to begin with as it is very unforgiving."

A4. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon

"Random freebie from the Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night Kickstarter that I didn't even know I was getting until a few days before it released. It's a NES-throwback 2D Castlevania game in all but name, which looks and sounds wonderful, like you remember a NES game until you go back and everything flickers and it's all clunky and oh god

There's none of that, just a really solid Castlevania homage with a bunch of different toolsets to use over multiple playthroughs. You don't realise you'll miss the boring guy with a sword until he's gone."

A5. Danmaku Unlimited 3

"Very solid vertical shmup that rewards learning the stages and the scoring system. If I had one complaint, it would be that the scoring is too unforgiving; if you make a mistake then your run is often over, I have hit some seemingly bonkers scores and I can't get close to them again due to the requirement to run a basically flawless stage. Instead of your combo ticking downwards after a set period of time, it just resets to zero, and that basically halts your scoring potential for the rest of the level.

Easy mode is a great way to get into the bullet hell genre though - it's a very easy single-credit clear and there is plenty to offer for people who are more familiar with the genre."

Honourable mention: Magic Arena, which has finally provided the world with a decent online client for playing Magic: The Gathering!

Z1. Marble it Up!

"Marble it Up! is genuinely wonderful, as you'd expect from the people who brought you Marble Blast Ultra on 360 - but on Switch, it cost almost £20, came with 40 stages (several of which are very short training stages) and still hasn't received a content update at the time of writing (mid-December). It feels almost unfinished, but I've faith that when the additional levels and modes do arrive it will be easier to recommend as a complete package."

Z2. The Hex

"The new game from the creator of Pony Island, which was... 2016's game of the year for me. Pony Island does a great job of subverting your expectations in a game, whilst spinning a decent yarn and giving you some puzzles to solve. The Hex feels like what happens when you take Pony Island and try to make it longer and more involved. It's a lot of fun but felt like it didn't hit any of the marks that made Pony Island so special - it's just a game with some (often excellent) characters and a mystery to solve using some inventive methods. Pony Island made you feel like the game was playing you at times; this is 'merely' an adventure."

Z3.
Z4.
Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Deltarune

"Seriously. Listen to Rude Buster and tell me you haven't achieved Peak Videogames. https://tobyfox.bandcamp.com/track/rude-buster "

S2. Hollow Knight
S3.

V1.
V2.
V3.

Writing of the Year

W1. Deltarune
W2.
W3.

F1. Nintendo Switch

P1.

B1. Splatoon 2

X1. 

C1. Ralsei (Deltarune)
C2. Susie (Deltarune)
C3. Hornet (Hollow Knight)

• Upvote 4

Game of the Year

A1. Spider-Man

A2. God of War

A3. Yakuza 6

A4. Pokemon Quest

A5. Yakuza Kiwami 2

Z1. Playstation Classic

Z2. Greedy companies

Z3.

Z4.

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Persona 5 Dancing in Starlight

S2. Smash Bros Ultimate

S3. God of War

V1. Dragonball FighterZ

V2. God of War

V3.

Writing of the Year

W1. God of War

W2. Spider-Man

W3. Yakuza 6

F1. PS4

P1. Sony

B1. Pokemon Go

X1.

C1. Mimir (God of War)

C2. Baldr (God of War)

C3. Otto Octavios (Spider-Man)

On 07/12/2018 at 19:09, Benny said:

Only games released in 2018 are eligible. You may include games that were previously released in a different territory or for a different system, as long as they came out this year. So for example Divinity: Original Sin 2 came out on consoles this year and so is eligible. HD remakes are valid though as again they are new and improved releases.

Major expansions and remakes are also eligible, as above.

Does the VR expansion of Wipeout Omega Collection allow it to be included as a game released this year even though it was a free update?

10 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

Does the VR expansion of Wipeout Omega Collection allow it to be included as a game released this year even though it was a free update?

Yes. Because PSVR is technically a separate gaming platform entirely, so it's an eligible 2018 PSVR release.

The new WoW expansion is eligible for different reasons, as it's a major new release.

Shadow of the Colossus is eligible as it's a remake.

HD rereleases like Okami on Switch are also eligible. (Plus in this case it's also on a new platform)

Overwatch map updates or new free content added in Elite Dangerous are not eligible. But might count towards what you think is the best supported game of the year for example.

• Upvote 1

Aaaah, late December/early January release dates, the scourge of the annual awards ceremony.

No doubt you'll have forgotten, or the sheen will have worn off by this time next year.

Maybe we could have an "awkward cunts" award for games like this.

The Hurricane of the Varstray came out 21 Dec, 2015, awkward cunt. Excellent game but voting had closed so nobody ever got to hear about it.

Game of the Year

A1. Astro Bot - Sony don’t make platform games, Nintendo do but Sony just made  a VR Mario 64 moment and it’s astonishing!

A2. Tetris Effect - Tetris + epic tunes + incredible graphics and effects = perfection.

A3. God of war - I hate all the ‘PlayStation games’ like LOU and all naughty dog output and never liked a GOW game yet, this one was GOTY for most of the year

A4. Celeste - so good at rewarding your efforts, learn the systems and it becomes a beautiful ballet of a game

A5. 

Z1. Red dead redemption 2 - I can’t get past the controls

Z2. PlayStation classic, just terrible.

Z3. 

Z4.

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Tetris effect

S2. God of war

S3.

V1. God of war

V2. Tetris effect

V3.

Writing of the Year

W1. God of war

W2.

W3.

F1. Switch

P1. Sony :o 

B1. Destiny 2, it was a game verging on being dead but the latest DLC and patching have almost made it peak Destiny.

X1. Fortnite

C1. 

C2.

C3.

• Upvote 1