Commander Jameson

Avengers: Endgame (April 2019)

4 hours ago, Diggity said:

Looking forward to your day one impressions. 

While we we await that please give us a summary of how you would have teased this movIe without giving away the cliff hanger of the last film in a more satisfying way?

It's pretty hard to answer that question without having seen the film. 

As a two time golden trailer award winner who has produced over 100 trailers for Disney I believe I'll be able to answer this question succinctly once I've viewed the available footage. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

It's pretty hard to answer that question without having seen the film. 

As a two time golden trailer award winner who has produced over 100 trailers for Disney I believe I'll be able to answer this question succinctly once I've viewed the available footage. 

Which ones did you win an award for?

6 hours ago, makkuwata said:

I'm struggling to get a read on whether you just said that sincerely or satirically.

No sincerely. I was at Disney for 8 years and producing trailers & TV spots was about 50% of my gig. I made the UK trailers for Sixth Sense, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Hurricane, Cinderella Man, Cider House Rules and bloody loads of others.

I won a Golden Trailer award for best International trailer - The Kings Speech and best documentary for Jig. I was also nominated for best drama for my trailer for Steve McQueens Shame, but didn't win. https://www.goldentrailer.com/

It was a pompous post, but a genuine one.

Also, for what its worth, the trailer for Jig makes me actually cringe watching it back now. So many cymbal crashes, flashes to white and on the nose copy. Should never have won.

• Upvote 7

24 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Thank goodness, for a second the film industry was in danger of losing its reputation as a bunch of self congratulatory, indulgent nob heads.

Just answering a question dude.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Just answering a question dude.

I don't wanna de-rail the thread too much, so just one more question on the subject, but how do you put a trailer together? Do you have to watch the whole film take notes and decide what would work well in a trailer or are you given selective clips and ask to put them together?

4 minutes ago, Delargey said:

I can see why he was pissed off, tbh.

Oh yeah me too. But my job was to sell his film to Americans in 90 seconds. They like their royalty gold and shiny. And now he lives in LA in an 8 bedroom house whereas when we met he was in a 2 bed in Clapham.

• Upvote 5

16 minutes ago, hub2 said:

Just watched The King's Speech trailer. Pretty good actually.

This one?

Ha, even in the thumbnail you can see my gold. 

"Get out of my fucking grading suite you CUUUUUUUUNT!!!!!"

EDIT: ALSO, embarrassingly, if you watch the Kings Speech and Jig trailers back to back you'll hear I've over used the same cymbal crash on the card transitions. Thats pretty cringe. Cymbal crash aside, thats still about as good a trailer as you could get from that film. 

2 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Thank goodness, for a second the film industry was in danger of losing its reputation as a bunch of self congratulatory, indulgent nob heads.

I don’t think I’ve worked in an industry that didn’t have some kind of awards handed out each year, and I’ve worked in some properly bland industries in the past. 

I don’t think this is unique to the film industry at all. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, catinthehat said:

I don’t think I’ve worked in an industry that didn’t have some kind of awards handed out each year, and I’ve worked in some properly bland industries in the past. 

When Spudulis and I started our production company we used to create the graphics for awards shows. Man, some of them. PC retail shops awards. High street retailer of the year. Medical supplier of the year...

13 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

I’ve been to a few myself, usually for corporate stuff like marketing etc. I won a Bahamas cruise at one of them and had my prize awarded by Phil Jupitus. :D

Plus, let’s not forget that Dante’s Fires had an awards ceremony.

2 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Oh yeah me too. But my job was to sell his film to Americans in 90 seconds. They like their royalty gold and shiny. And now he lives in LA in an 8 bedroom house whereas when we met he was in a 2 bed in Clapham.

Yeah, I know what it's like, and it's just the job but I think companies have to actually sell the film, not some false version of it. Otherwise, they are kinda setting the film up for a fall, people go in expecting a shinny, golden look but get an entirely different one.

I always think that trailers should be made by the directors, of course, the studios would never let that happen but then we would probably start to see trailers that were interesting and exciting rather than movie-ruining-paint by numbers -bwaaaams.

This is one of my favourite trailers

@Silent Runner Perhaps we can split this out into a Favourtie Trailers thread? It's an interesting discussion and people could post their favourite trailers etc. Its kind bogging this thread down (even though I know my question is part of that). 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

No sincerely. I was at Disney for 8 years and producing trailers & TV spots was about 50% of my gig. I made the UK trailers for Sixth Sense, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Hurricane, Cinderella Man, Cider House Rules and bloody loads of others.

I won a Golden Trailer award for best International trailer - The Kings Speech and best documentary for Jig. I was also nominated for best drama for my trailer for Steve McQueens Shame, but didn't win. https://www.goldentrailer.com/

It was a pompous post, but a genuine one.

Also, for what its worth, the trailer for Jig makes me actually cringe watching it back now. So many cymbal crashes, flashes to white and on the nose copy. Should never have won.

That’s my sister at 0.38 skipping. I taught her to do that to help with her training :D amazing! I actually went to Glasgow GFT cinema to see that when it was released. I would class it as an excellent trailer as it doesn’t spoil the best moments or characters, hehe. Nice work! :hat:

• Upvote 2