rllmuk
Commander Jameson

Avengers: Endgame (April 2019) - no spoilers please

14 hours ago, JohnC said:

No. It's three hours and one minute.

Only if you sit through the credits. Otherwise it's 2hr 53

Apologies if this has been answered, but how important is it to watch Cpt Marvel before seeing this?

I’m, as usual, behind on my Marvel films and haven’t seen Ant Man and the Wasp or Captain Marvel. 

I don’t think I’ve been to the cinema in about 2 and a half years, but am thinking about it for this. 

It's estimated to have done 1.2 billion as of now and the weekend isn't over. 350m of that in U.S.

I've only watched Iron Man, Spiderman and most of Captain America, I'll have to get round to these at some point.

3 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Apologies if this has been answered, but how important is it to watch Cpt Marvel before seeing this?

Not terribly. The CM film is a prequel set in the 90s where she meets a young Nick Fury, has super powers, then leaves.
That's pretty much all you need to know

• Upvote 1

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2019/04/28/avengers-endgame-box-office-marvel-avatar-star-wars-force-awakens-titanic-harry-potter/?fbclid=IwAR3Rb8ViYqVmT99iGI3pUR1CnRFu876-Q9lzc90Bf_TaUHcvTlyQAh-7aao#47d9f22853df

Avengers: Endgame shattered the bounds of realistic opening weekend predictions this weekend, with a towering $350 million domestic and $1.2 billion in its global debut. Of note, 45% of that came from 3-D showings around the world while $91.5 million came from IMAX (double their previous opening weekend record) and even 4DX earned $15 million globally on the title.

Domestically, the film earned a 2.23x multiplier (not bad considering the numbers) and snagged the biggest Thursday preview ($60 million), the biggest “pure Friday” ($96.7 million), the biggest single-day gross ($156.7 million on Friday counting the previews), the biggest Saturday ($109 million, down just 31% from Friday) and biggest Sunday grosses ($84.3 million) even when adjusted for inflation.

Speaking of Thursday previews, it earned just 17.1% of its opening weekend from Thursday alone, which was just a little more frontloaded than Infinity War (15.1% of its $258 million haul). Heck, it earned $290 million this weekend WITHOUT those previews. It sold nearly 39 million tickets in North America just this weekend. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I’m, as usual, behind on my Marvel films and haven’t seen Ant Man and the Wasp or Captain Marvel. 

I don’t think I’ve been to the cinema in about 2 and a half years, but am thinking about it for this. 

My sister was taking my nephew today, and she was in the same boat. While seeing them is obviously preferable, I just showed her the Ant-Man and Wasp mid-credits scene (only strictly relevant bit of the film) and the Captain Marvel trailer (to illustrate her power level) and she was good to go.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, chaps. Paul Rudd and the Wasp is only about a fiver on digital at this point so I might as well see that first. 

Last time we went to the cinema was to see TFA and my wife had never seen a Star Wars film before and still enjoyed it. 

Still not sure if we’ll make it for this, due to childcare, but I’m fairly keen. 

Got back from this a short while ago and I'm feeling all a bit...underwhelmed?

It was a bit more understated throughout than I expected and was probably 2+ hours in before we had a major action sequence and, when it came, I don't think it carried anywhere near the threat of the previous film.

I feel sad that this 10-year experiment is over though; it's been a virtual family that I've grown along with and there aren't too many of the next-gen gang that I'm particularly excited about - so this may see my interest in the MCU wane a bit.

Looking forward now to reading what everybody has made of it.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

I thought it was pretty good.

I did feel it was rather predictable though, and nothing in the film really surprised me at all.

Other people seem to think this is Award-worthy, well about as much as the last Disney-Marvel film they attempted to promote as Award-worthy, is this actually the case? as I've not seen a Disney-Marvel film since GotG 2 and checking the list, I've somehow managed to watch 11 of them. though that's very front-loaded.

19 minutes ago, mushashi said:

Other people seem to think this is Award-worthy, well about as much as the last Disney-Marvel film they attempted to promote as Award-worthy, is this actually the case? as I've not seen a Disney-Marvel film since GotG 2 and checking the list, I've somehow managed to watch 11 of them. though that's very front-loaded.

There's one specific actor I'd probably give an acting nod to. Best picture? It is hard to tell with the Academy but I would not be surprised to see a nomination. 

15 minutes ago, JPL said:

Best effects without a doubt.

I don't know. Detective Pikachu surely has that in the bag

Just watched this again, and my original review still stands. It is a totally phenomenal film and an absolute love-letter to comic books that will leave long-term Marvel films practically swooning with joy.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

lol

A cable company in the Philippines aired a pirate copy of the movie on TV the day after it opened in cinemas.

I love how they report it’s still really easy to get hold of pirate copies in the philipines, as though we have difficulty here!

Pirated copies of this are out there at the moment. Can I buy it to stream from anywhere? Some of them are web tips, but I don’t know where they’re getting ripped from. 

I wanted to see this at the cinema a month or so ago but they’d stopped showing it. 

They should just bring the release forward rather than leaving people in this limbo where you can watch it but only if you pirate it.