rllmuk
Commander Jameson

Avengers: Endgame (April 2019) - no spoilers please

24 minutes ago, Broker said:

Well, maybe I’ll feel different on second watch but that didn’t do it for me like IW. It was good, with some brilliant moments but the pacing was weird. The first hour had some really protracted scenes that I couldn’t help but think of when they were rushing through the last hour. There was a lot of stuff that I’d have liked to have seen more of that they were done with really quickly, but also a lot of stuff early which continued long after I felt I’d gotten the point.

Reveal hidden contents

I think my main issues are linked. Firstly time travel is tough to do and I don’t really think we got adequate explanation about how it worked. Hulk says they can’t change the future because they’ll just create other timelines, and immediately acts like that’s a bad thing, but surely they already exist as strange was looking at them? Or maybe they’re just alternate futures. But then the ancient one specifically warns them that they shouldn’t do that, and shows a little diagram of how time is one unbroken line that shouldn’t be broken, as though destiny exists. She says that time won’t flow without the stones, even though half an hour ago Thanos destroyed them and time continued.

Then they go back in time and change loads of stuff. Loki is obvious, but Nebula literally grandfather paradoxes herself, and Steve decides to totally rewrite Peggy’s entire life at the end. Is that one new timeline or three? Which one are we in? Couldn’t Tilda have nipped back in to show us the diagram again? If there are loads of split timelines already what’s the problem with making more? If it’s dangerous to make more how come they do it loads with no consequences?

Linked to that, I wasn’t super excited that so much of it was set in places from previous movies, featuring the same characters. When they said battle of New York, I thought it might be a bit of a greatest hits of the best moments in the MCU. Moments like the battle of New York, that bit where Quill dances at the start of Guardians, that scene with Thanos and Gamora from literally the last movie, the brief scenes of shield in the past from several other movies and of course, everyone’s favourite scene, Natalie Portman getting out of bed in Thor 2. 

Then Thanos shows up again with the same minions before inexplicably teleporting in the same faceless CGI army from the last one, just in case you were worried we wouldn’t get two large groups of 3D models running at each other. That fight is crammed with awesome moments but I don’t think we needed other shit alongside Thanos, I was enjoying it a lot more just before that when he was beating the shit out of them all on his own.

I also do not understand at all why everyone was such a cunt about saving millions of lives. “Hey Tony, want to save half the universe?” “No fuck you I like my house.” “Alright Bruce what about you?” “I don’t even have a reason I’m just unsure.” “Clint, wanna bring back your dead family who are all you care about?” “I don’t know, what if I’ve heroically killed too many Yakuza to fulfil LITERALLY MY ONLY MOTIVATION IN THIS EXACT MOVIE.” Like stop being such pricks and save the countless lives across the universe. It’s like one of those thought experiments where someone asks if you’d kill yourself to save a million people and you go “Well yeah I guess I’d have to.” except fucking none of them do.

I mean obviously the movie was packed with fucking awesome stuff, and I loved loads of it. But, don’t crucify me here, I got some strong Age of Ultron vibes. There was so much stuff and it wasn’t perfectly paced and it is the sequel to a tight Avengers movie with a clearer plot. I actually really like Age of Ultron as well, I think it’s full of super cool ideas and amazing scenes but is a bit weirdly paced.

Sorry to not get in on the love in. I might go see it again at the weekend to check that it wasn’t just because it was 4am by the time it finished.

Spoiler

Haven’t seen Age of Ultron in years but the first half was superb, apart from the shitty forest bit tacked on the opening. It still had that Whedon vibe, the party scene especially was brilliant, and I loved Spader, but the last third for me set the tone for what followed, shallow and pompous and contrived with none of the wit 

End of days guys. Runpee has gone over their bandwidth allowance! How will I know when it's safe to take a piss now? Do I need to take a bucket?

I'm going tomorrow at 9:15am. Looking forward to it.

Saw it at a busy 8.10am screening - very very good. Don’t think it’s as good as IW, but a second viewing may change my mind.

Is satisfying, funny, sad, tense, exciting and flies by. A couple of disappointing elements (but again that may change on a second go around), but the sheer amount of stuff that happens in this culmination of all these films is incredible. Still feel wiped out by it a couple of hours later.

My 9 year old loved it.

This was actually my first ever midnight opening (matron), so I'm a bit fuzzy today, and will probably need to see it again (at a saner time of day) to fully get my head around it, but in hindsight I have no regrets about having sat in an IMAX to watch IW and Endgame back-to-back until after 3am on a school night. Definitely one of my best bad ideas ever.

As far as the film goes...

Spoiler

It's not perfect. I often really struggle with reconciling time-travel movies (despite loving Back to the Future, Looper, and god knows how many other films that use it as the basis of their premise - sometimes the fault is with me, and sometimes it's with the film, I suspect), and this one goes fully balls to the wall in terms of how complex it is. Several bits I didn't think were totally satisfying in their explanation/justification, and/or don't feel like they should work as cleanly as the film suggests.

(I also find myself loving the idea of Howard Stark accusing his wife of cheating on him at the base, just because of how much Tony grows up looking like "Howard Potts", but that's probably just me.)

I also thought some of the emotional payoffs didn't land quite as cleanly as they could've, and I say that despite being quite choked up more than once over the course of the film. Some of the laughs were maybe a little forced too, like fat Thor being a bit overplayed at times, to the point of coming dangerously close to being distracting and/or cheapening other aspects of the film.

The pacing was maybe a little wonky at times too, if I'm nit-picking (and I think it's pretty obvious at this point that I'm doing my best) and, as with all of the other stuff above, we can't rule out that I'm just too old for this shit, and a second watch is required before I pass final judgement, but with all that said...

I loved it.

Realistically, not long ago, I'd never have thought a film like this was possible, but that final battle was just like a Marvel crossover comic made real, in the best possible way. All of the spectacle, the fan-service - like the characters arriving on the scene in slightly impractical but incredibly cool ways in the final fight, like Spidey swinging in instead of walking with the others, and so on - and the need to just generally try and neatly close off a run of 20+ movies that started off only teasing a shared universe, and ended up so intertwined that you could barely call half of them "solo" movies by the end.

With all of that, you can understand the odd misstep, the slight RotK syndrome, and whatever else, because there's so much here that's so, so good. For every slightly underused character (Rocket) there are several more that are given the time they were denied in Infinity War and/or, where appropriate, a fitting sendoff. It also features, as I've said in the full spoiler thread,  several of my favourite cinema-going movie moments of all-time. It's also much, much funnier than I expected.

Less than 12 hours (and three hours of sleep) after walking out of the cinema, I find myself wondering where the hell it goes from here (though I'm hoping for the X-Men and Fantastic Four to show up sooner rather than later), but very much looking forward to finding out - Marvel studios started out with some decent, well-cast comic book movies that gained surprising traction, and have somehow parlayed that into becoming an oddly reliable entertainment juggernaut, with more to them than I think they're sometimes given for.

Anyway, I've lost my trail of thought about three times now, and am probably sleep-deprived, so I'll stop, but I think it's safe to say I thought it was quite good.

• Upvote 6

6 hours ago, Nick R said:

Ticket for 09.30 screening, and I think I've woken up today with a mild stomach bug. :( I've had breakfast but I don't know if it'll stay down.

If I have one, it'd be the first time in at least five years - of all the days for it to happen!

Do I risk going? Or leave it today, see how I am and rebook for tomorrow? (The problem with that is that tomorrow morning's showings are also nearly packed...)

Well I survived - didn't need to rush out at all!

I'll post specific comments in the spoiler thread, but for now: they nailed it. (Mostly.)

Was going to go see this at the cinema in the next several days, once the crowds had died down. Go for a bit of Piri Piri chicken, get some popcorn, Revals and a Kia Ora gutbuster during the showing, the whole bit. But... a 700mb Bluray rip* has just appeared out there. So I'm going to save some coin and watch that with some fish fingers instead.

Seems legit!

Spoiler

a dodgy .exe of course, John Wick 3 is also another trap for the dozy haha. Even if it wasn't this would be a cinema job. Serious about hanging fire until the crowds chill but I'm getting the feeling that may take a while and next Wednesday is the plan. IW will be getting a watch before hand.

Personally, it is quite an experience seeing it early with Marvel fans so I'd recommend seeing it as soon as possible. 

3 hours ago, Broker said:
Spoiler

and of course, everyone’s favourite scene, Natalie Portman getting out of bed in Thor 2. 

:lol:

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, McCoy said:

Personally, it is quite an experience seeing it early with Marvel fans so I'd recommend seeing it as soon as possible. 

Oh I did that for the first Avengers film with my son, was a lot of fun. Unfortunately I don't get to see anything with him anymore and thus I've became a bit of a sad old loner who avoids fun gatherings. It's complicated. I'll enjoy the film though.

I have a dog that doesn't like being left on her own for too long. This means going to the cinema infrequently,  when we can get a neighbour to look in on her. 

Tomorrow is one of those occasions, up to now reserved for Star Wars movies! I am excited and also desperate to avoid spoilers,  hence making special dog arrangements. 

Seeing it in a half hour. Place is packed, two screenings 15 minutes apart basically sold out

Didn’t get my favourite screen but there is no doubt a benefit in being closer to the loo ...

Hey if it’s boring I can do some coding

3 hours ago, McCoy said:

Better not be the same motherfuckers that ruined Spiderverse for me. Braying like a herd of overweight donkeys.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Not sure if this has already been mentioned but there are no extra scenes during or after the credits so those with weak bladders can feel free to run to the toilets.

There is the usual cast animatic just after the filmd end that's quite nice though.

There is *something* after the credits. 

29 minutes ago, Thor said:

What??

I don't even know why I'm spoiling this because it's just a brief piece of foley work with no connection to the actual plot and is definitely not worth hanging around for

the sound of someone striking metal as if in a blacksmiths as the Marvel logo appears

• Upvote 1

Booked for 4:20 tomorrow, myself and my son. I've avoided pretty much all media coverage and I can't wait.

Are they showing a ton of adverts and trailers even though the thing lasts 3 hours?

I've paid for posh seats, need the extra room for 3 hours of Marvel magnificence. I think I'm going to avoid drinking anything an hour or so before then nothing until the film finishes. No way am I getting up for a piss during this.

1 hour ago, Adrock said:

Booked for 4:20 tomorrow, myself and my son. I've avoided pretty much all media coverage and I can't wait.

Are they showing a ton of adverts and trailers even though the thing lasts 3 hours?

I've paid for posh seats, need the extra room for 3 hours of Marvel magnificence. I think I'm going to avoid drinking anything an hour or so before then nothing until the film finishes. No way am I getting up for a piss during this.

Loads of adverts, 3 trailers, then another advert, then a charity cinema advert thing, then another trailer, then another advert, then a Sony 4K thing, then turn off your phone stuff and maybe another advert in VUE. Everyone was getting very pissed by the constant fake outs that the film might actually start.