rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Commander Jameson

Avengers: Endgame (April 2019) - no spoilers please

Amazed to find my local cinema still has about 50 seats for the 10am show tomorrow. I love being part time.  No seat allocations though!

2 hours ago, JPL said:

That’s a very low key review Gommy. Do you fancy giving us some spoiler free impressions? Where do you rate it amongst the other MCU films? Is it a worthy finale to this chapter?

I’m taking my boys to see it straight after school tomorrow and can’t wait. I hope it’s everything I want it to be. Infinity War was absolutely perfect for me and surpassed all the hype.

Hmm, I'm not typically a first day viewer for something like this although I have watched I think all the marvel movies, today I just happened to go because I woke up at 8am and checked out and found a not too bad showing at 9.15am.  With regards to spoilers I'm not particularly sensitive to them myself as I'll happily read a film overview and then decide I like it and watch it.  But I appreciate other people are so am somewhat wary about saying anything that might confirm previously discussed concepts inadvertently.

I enjoyed it, I don't think it bests infinity war or avengers assemble in terms of being a tight movie telling a story in it's own right.  It relies on a lot of knowledge understandably and it lingers somewhat in a bunch of places where it really for the sake of the general runtime could have done things more efficiently.  I think some of this lingering is in the sake of humour (of which there is a good amount) but, still could have been done more succinctly. 

It does have a lot of great character moments and by and large covers the whole gamut of characters well.  It has some great pieces and particularly the first half the pace is well set.  i do think the 2nd half struggles a bit in terms of pace.  That said amongst all that it is a satisfying conclusion for me and it deals with some potential problems quite nicely.  I think by and large if you like the MCU you will love it, but I do think it is too self indulgent at times.  

• Upvote 6

41 minutes ago, linkster said:

And every time there's a speech you get a load of hot air blown at you

Linkster... I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I get the impression that you're not the biggest fan of Marvel movies? Call me crazy, I just somehow sensed it.

It's almost certainly not linked to your relentlessly negative posting in threads about nearly every single Marvel movie or anything like that.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Andy_Why said:

Linkster... I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I get the impression that you're not the biggest fan of Marvel movies? Call me crazy, I just somehow sensed it.

It's almost certainly not linked to your relentlessly negative posting in threads about nearly every single Marvel movie or anything like that.

That's what they call confirmation bias.

Well let's see, I especially love the first X-Men, First Avenger, Iron Man, Avengers Assemble, Venom, Spider-Man: Homecoming

Do you have a point? Or am I not allowed a bit of gentle ribbing about a three hour sequel to a very boring film, that I'll end up paying to see anyway cos I'm a fucking idiot?

It's just a bit of gentle ribbing in return. I do enjoy your posts on other things, but you don't half go on about how much you dislike the Marvel films (in general). You know that you do!

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Andy_Why said:

It's just a bit of gentle ribbing in return. I do enjoy your posts on other things, but you don't half go on about how much you dislike the Marvel films (in general). You know that you do!

In all fairness the majority of posts I made about Captain Marvel or Infinity War were in the proper threads soon after paying money to see them

But I also very recently posted how much I loved Venom and was deeply irritated I let poor word of mouth put me off, contrary to the gushing for MCU movies that gets me in the door only to (lately) fall asleep

I don't hand over money to not enjoy things. And much as the principle annoys me, cos I think it just makes for lazy product, but you do have to see something to know

They are huge movies, they can stand one contrary view to the popular one. I wish I did enjoy the recent ones more. 

24 minutes ago, linkster said:

That's what they call confirmation bias.

Well let's see, I especially love the first X-Men, First Avenger, Iron Man, Avengers Assemble, Venom, Spider-Man: Homecoming

Do you have a point? Or am I not allowed a bit of gentle ribbing about a three hour sequel to a very boring film, that I'll end up paying to see anyway cos I'm a fucking idiot?

Are you saying Infinity War is a boring film?

I mean, you’re completely allowed to not like it, but to say it’s boring is crazy talk! It’s absolutely relentless in its pace and never lets up for a minute. It doesn’t allow you to get bored!

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, linkster said:

In all fairness the majority of posts I made about Captain Marvel or Infinity War were in the proper threads soon after paying money to see them

But I also very recently posted how much I loved Venom and was deeply irritated I let poor word of mouth put me off, contrary to the gushing for MCU movies that gets me in the door only to (lately) fall asleep

I don't hand over money to not enjoy things. And much as the principle annoys me, cos I think it just makes for lazy product, but you do have to see something to know

They are huge movies, they can stand one contrary view to the popular one. I wish I did enjoy the recent ones more. 

I'm not being mean, but there's very little point in stating how boring you found Infinity War in the thread for its direct sequel.  It might be worth spinning it though? Say what you thought was poor and what you hope for in Endgame to correct this, maybe? Your posts are coming off very Smitty-like at the moment, which is a shame as you have a lot to contribute that isn't just negativity :)

1 minute ago, JPL said:

Are you saying Infinity War is a boring film?

I mean, you’re completely allowed to not like it, but to say it’s boring is crazy talk! It’s absolutely relentless in its pace and never lets up for a minute. It doesn’t allow you to get bored!

Horses for courses. I've found everything since (and including) Civil War to be dull as fuck. General drop off in quality since the first Avengers is astonishing. I honestly thought I'd hate Spider-Man: Homecoming but annoyingly it was great so now I have to see them all to be sure :doh:

1 minute ago, Treble said:

I'm not being mean, but there's very little point in stating how boring you found Infinity War in the thread for its direct sequel.  It might be worth spinning it though? Say what you thought was poor and what you hope for in Endgame to correct this, maybe? Your posts are coming off very Smitty-like at the moment, which is a shame as you have a lot to contribute that isn't just negativity :)

Yes I will stop posting until I've seen it as I know everyone's excited, thing is that gets me going as well cos I'd love to be excited but I just am not, yet I know I'll see it anyway. Gnnh.

2 minutes ago, linkster said:

Horses for courses. I've found everything since (and including) Civil War to be dull as fuck. General drop off in quality since the first Avengers is astonishing. I honestly thought I'd hate Spider-Man: Homecoming but annoyingly it was great so now I have to see them all to be sure :doh:

Fair enough. Infinity War is head and shoulders above any other MCU film for me and I think a real cinematic achievement. I’m not the biggest Marvel fan either and I only really got into watching the films because my boys love them.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, linkster said:

Yes I will stop posting until I've seen it as I know everyone's excited, thing is that gets me going as well cos I'd love to be excited but I just am not, yet I know I'll see it anyway. Gnnh.

Well, that's up to you. I'd be interested to hear what you think is boring about IW, maybe in spoilers so not as to clutter the thread? 

To be honest, it's probably worth seeing Endgame just as a cultural event if nothing else. Like Live Aid (even if you hated the bands), or The Phantom Menace (even if you have a modicum of taste).

I don't regret seeing TPM, even though it was toilet, cos it was a massive part of the cultural conversation.

My 11th hour dark horse prediction is a stand-off between Squirrel Girl and Darth Vader wielding Galvatron in cannon mode. Winner gets a free go of Doctor Strange's cloak of levitation.

Going tomorrow evening. Cannot wait. Feel like a kid on Xmas eve. Might need to rewatch infinity war tonight. 

• Upvote 1

Shit apparently my tickets are for tonight! Fucking glad I checked that and didn’t show up tomorrow.

• Upvote 2

I was seized by FOMO and managed to snag a seat at 23:35 tonight. 

I now have FOMS, the fear of missing sleep, as I’ll be home at 0400 then up at 0700 for work. 

• Upvote 2

I was lucky enough to snag the last seat on a show in dubai this afternoon. It's a funny film in that 3 hours flew by, yet I felt the second half very rushed. It is good though I prefer infinity war. Looking forward to others' thoughts as I do feel the reviews are a little too wholly positive though I suppose no matter how good it was, given how excited I was, it was going to be difficult to live up to that. Good overall for me

30 minutes ago, bobin said:

I was seized by FOMO and managed to snag a seat at 23:35 tonight. 

I now have FOMS, the fear of missing sleep, as I’ll be home at 0400 then up at 0700 for work. 

I'm glad it is not just me.  Have had ticket for tomorrow booked in for ages but a combination of FOMO and a friend wanting to meet for drinks in the late afternoon (I'm definitely not going to be able to avoid peeing if I've had a few drinks and my pre-booked seat tomorrow was right in the middle of a row of 20) mean I'm heading for my very first midnight screening...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, And said:

Going tomorrow evening. Cannot wait. Feel like a kid on Xmas eve. Might need to rewatch infinity war tonight. 

I'm doing exactly this. Including the feeling like a kid just before christmas! My kids are just as excited as I am and I'll be watching Infinity War tonight with them and then leaving work early tomorrow to pick them up and get to the cinema for 18:00. Honestly can't remember any other cinema event I've ever looked forward to so much.

I didn’t have to but in a meeting today I clicked my fingers to punctuate me saying “just like that”. My excitement is now operating at a subconscious level as I didn’t know I was going to do it until I heard the noise and then smiled :lol: I also realised I looked like an absolute bellend after I done it but could not have cared less.

Fucking buzzing!!!

• Upvote 3

My local cinema has an IMAX screen and it's only showing it in 3D, is that something they always do? I dislike 3D but I'd like to watch this on the massive screen.

I'm having to wait until Friday at the earliest because my son is coming along.

3 hours ago, Muz said:

I was lucky enough to snag the last seat on a show in dubai this afternoon. 

I'd at least have checked if the local Cineworld had any seats left.

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

Is there an end credits scene to stick around for?

Unfortunately not

59 minutes ago, Adrock said:

My local cinema has an IMAX screen and it's only showing it in 3D, is that something they always do? I dislike 3D but I'd like to watch this on the massive screen.

I'm having to wait until Friday at the earliest because my son is coming along.

Yeah they generally exclusive 3d showings. Not sure if there is a 2d at all. Fwiw I forget the glasses are in my face in films like these anyway. And this absolutely needs to be seen on the biggest, loudest, most obnoxious screen possible.

1 hour ago, Muz said:

Unfortunately not

Its not unfortunate its actually quite fitting.

I enjoyed it and I'm still buzzed after seeing it. It was essentially a medley of  everyone getting their moment. 

The most important info is in, folks: when you can piss in relative safety! 

According to what I read, 30 mins in and just over an hour in, then at another point that's a minor spoiler but sounds like it's around the 2 hour point. 

Specifics, with extremely minor spoilers:

Spoiler

When the San Francisco title card comes on screen about 30 minutes into the film. 

When Hulk is having lunch. Over an hour in, and lasts about 10-15 mins and apparently entirely skippable. 

When the New Jersey title card comes on screen (time not given but, by context, sounds like around the 2 hour mark). 

May seem trivial to some, but this is an actual picture of my bladder:

merchantandmills_tailorsthimble_m212097.thumb.jpg.7173ede37571d1d47fb9cf1d9429f132.jpg

Not really a spoiler, just reference to the spoilered text above 

Spoiler

So is the film so long because there's a 15 minute segment of hulk just having lunch? 

• Upvote 1