Dangerous Driving - it's Burnout! Out Now. "brake a little earlier than you were thinking of, stay on the gas and steer!"

wev

Just now, catinthehat said:

That Spotify thing is really weird.  So there's no in-game music at all without it? 

Thought the same. Don't have Spotify so is there any default background music? The review seems to say not but it might be pre-production code.

3 hours ago, CrashedAlex said:

Before I left I spent the day at work with Christian from Eurogamer and Matthew from RPS (the fact they they spent 40mins on the very first Race before they got a Bronze Medal is a secret I'll keep for a long time)

giphy.gif

;)

I've got credit on a Microsoft account I was going to preorder this with, £23.76 to be precise, with sod all else I want to spend it on. Perfect! But it's not my Xbox account, and it doesn't look like you can gift a preorder. Not perfect! I guess I either buy it now at the price it is and then sign into that account on my Xbox (doubt it's even got a gamertag) or I wait 'til release and pay more for the game but be able to gift it to the account I use on my Xbox. 

The former will work, right? And if not, how much is the game going to be when not discounted? I'll not get the preorder car doing it that way either, boo!

Aw feck it stuck a pre-order in for this. We need more games like this on the current gen.... happy to support.

For those on the fence its £22.49 on the Xbox store... (same price on PSN if you are a PSN+ member or £24.99 otherwise).

I've been playing Danger Zone over the past week or so and really enjoying it. However occasionally the car handling model is a bit iffy - it works well while you're heading in one direction but on a level like that one where taxis fall from the sky and you have to avoid them, it feels a bit unrealistic.  Is the car handling model different for Dangerous Driving?

@xevious Yes we made that game two years ago. In that game the car only really has to go in a straight line so it's built to work 'most of the time' - again we're a small developer and every game we make is a stepping stone to the next one.

The level where taxis fall from the sky is a level where we're just experimenting and making something different from the small selection of things we had. These are all independent games. You can find something 'a bit iffy' in every single game I've ever worked on over two decades. It's usually collision problems or physics problems. I hope it was rarely a lack of being entertained.

We made a Golf game that taught us how to do physics. Then we made a VR game. Then we put cars on the screen and made them crash. It was indoors because we were still learning the game engine. The next one was set outside and we took what we had and built upon it.

So then this new game is a step on from all of those things.

To the questions about no music - what would you do with a small team and a limited budget? Get someone to put some music in the game for free, or call Spotify up and see if we can break new ground and thus let people race to all of the music that exists in the world? 

If you're an aspiring musician you'd probably choose the former. We chose the latter.

I guess I'd turn it all around and rather than point out the issues a seven person studio has making a game, I'd ask why the other guys are spending two years and fifty million pounds and still releasing stuff that is unfinished....

16 minutes ago, CrashedAlex said:

To the questions about no music - what would you do with a small team and a limited budget? Get someone to put some music in the game for free, or call Spotify up and see if we can break new ground and thus let people race to all of the music that exists in the world? 

If you're an aspiring musician you'd probably choose the former. We chose the latter.

@CrashedAlex, Did you read the offer from @Cool Ben?, he offered some free instrumental dance-style music that is of a professional quality, so that might be something you could talk to him about as an alternative music choice for people without spotify or would prefer some original compositions:

On 09/01/2019 at 17:57, Cool Ben said:

Would you be interested in accepting any donations of music.  I work with a few producers and we have quite a lot of instrumentals that have never been released.  It's all dance music, mostly drum & bass. It's all mastered to a very high standard.  It would be a great way to get our music out there, and there's F all money to be made in dance music these days anyway. PM me if you want more info.

32 minutes ago, CrashedAlex said:

Both?! :)

Fair enough though. But. If you don't have a Spotify account? I don't and have no intention of getting one. Just saying... 

Understand its an extra cost - to produce/hire musicians / pay royalties whatever. However I think there might be an expectation that the game at least has some generic background music in it! Every arcade racer I have played going back to Outrun has had some music in it. :) 

Anyhow... its not a huge issue... easy enough to stick some music on by ripping it to the Xbox or just playing a CD.Also its something that can be added at a later date if it becomes something that is requested enough I guess.

22 minutes ago, CrashedAlex said:

@xevious Yes we made that game two years ago. In that game the car only really has to go in a straight line so it's built to work 'most of the time' - again we're a small developer and every game we make is a stepping stone to the next one.

The level where taxis fall from the sky is a level where we're just experimenting and making something different from the small selection of things we had. These are all independent games. You can find something 'a bit iffy' in every single game I've ever worked on over two decades. It's usually collision problems or physics problems. I hope it was rarely a lack of being entertained.

I jumped the first time a taxi landed on my head.  It reminded me of some of the Mario platformers where a new idea is introduced, used, and then never seen again.  I mainly cited that as one of the few levels where you have to steer around obstacles; good to hear the handling improves.  I have the sequel to play as well.

@MattyP We're working on 6P Online today. Someone came and asked me about it, then asked why we were doing it 'because he didn't have an internet connection' - some people don't. I hear you, but we're a small team so we can only focus on some things rather than everything.

You can always sign up for a free month perhaps?

13 minutes ago, CrashedAlex said:

@MattyP We're working on 6P Online today. Someone came and asked me about it, then asked why we were doing it 'because he didn't have an internet connection' - some people don't.

You can always sign up for a free month perhaps?

Guess so. It wasn't just about my needs though. I was just commenting about gamers expectations? Even ones that used to game back in the days of the OG Xbox/GC/PS2.. :) 

In fact arguably gamers from that era (me included) are the ones who would maybe expect some in game music as part of the package?

Not a criticism and as you mentioned you and the team decided to focus on the bits that you felt important and rightly so given the size of the team. More of an observation... Personally in my opinion music in a game as well as online for that matter are expected givens?

Anyhow what do I know I don't make or sell games...these are just observations from a consumer of them I guess.... :D  

@MattyP I hear and thanks for commenting. But expectations is always going to be the sticking point. If you come to my indie titles with the same expectations that we've had the same development time, same resources and same budgets to work with as say, the folks making "God of War" or "Red Dead Redemption 2" then trust me, you're going to be disappointed.

We'll focus on the bits we can focus on and that's about it.

I'm not @S0L either, and I'm completely and totally exhausted after having just worked the past seven days straight so I'll try and pop in whenever I have a break. We're working on Online Play today and trying to capture footage to make a Launch Trailer.

44 minutes ago, bignige said:

I think implementing Spotify is a great idea. 

I can scratch my Revenge and Takedown itch this way!

Are there any plans to release Burnout and Burnout 2 music as playlists on Spotify? 

You're probably asking the wrong person in this instance, EA-Criterion own the rights to that music. No idea if EA have ever put any of their OSTs on commercial streaming services, it's never been a big thing in the West.

1 hour ago, bignige said:

I think implementing Spotify is a great idea. 

I can scratch my Revenge and Takedown itch this way!

Are there any plans to release Burnout and Burnout 2 music as playlists on Spotify? 

Search Burnout on Spotify, and people have put up Burnout 3 and Burnout Paradise playlists. Or make your own, of course.

1 hour ago, mushashi said:

@CrashedAlex, Did you read the offer from @Cool Ben?, he offered some free instrumental dance-style music that is of a professional quality, so that might be something you could talk to him about as an alternative music choice for people without spotify or would prefer some original compositions:

Thanks @mushashi, he seems to be avoiding the question, i didn't even get a thanks but no thanks.

6 minutes ago, Cool Ben said:

Thanks @mushashi, he seems to be avoiding the question, i didn't even get a thanks but no thanks.

In other news Cool Ben has some cool Dangerous Driving music you can buy from him to accompany the game for a small fee... :D 

1 hour ago, CrashedAlex said:

I'm not @S0L either, and I'm completely and totally exhausted after having just worked the past seven days straight so I'll try and pop in whenever I have a break. We're working on Online Play today and trying to capture footage to make a Launch Trailer.

I'm still bloody knackered post Crackdown3 launch. Takes longer to wear off the older you get :P

I only went in the CD3 thread as I was on here anyway. Taking 5 minutes to switch off from 'Oh my god, so many emails' mode.

Try and get the odd day off fella, games are important, but you still need to have some form of home life!

Thanks for those words @S0L I don't know how you find the time and energy.

Here is some of the coverage we're seeing from people who all came to play the game.

https://www.destructoid.com/dangerous-driving-may-finally-resurrect-burnout-548476.phtml

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/videos?id=nxOB_t7OJw0

https://www.dualshockers.com/dangerous-driving-preview/

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-of-pax-east-2019,news-29782.html

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/features/dangerous-driving-is-burnout-in-everything-but-name-1203176884/

Once again, just so proud of the talented team I am lucky enough to spend time with every single day. It's not for everyone, but it is for longtime fans of the other games I directed and spent nine years of my life working on.

I did meet a lot of folks who have only ever played Revenge or Paradise so they were genuinely confused by a lack of traffic checking (it's in DZ2!) and the lack of an open world. Great to make one of the Top Ten Lists for the Show. I saw absolutely zero of it but there were lots of other equally deserving games there as well.

16 hours ago, CrashedAlex said:

I’ll start by saying I love your passion and am excited to see a new Burnout style game coming out. I was (and still am) a Burnout super-fan!

I’ve also only played a little bit of DD. Can’t form an opinion yet, so I’m not reflecting on the game itself.

but the quote above has kind of angered me a bit for two reasons. What you’re saying there is that you want music in the game but you want to pass the cost of having music in the game onto your customers. This is a Spotify Premium service, we pay to use it.

Thats not to mention that people might have chosen a different service to subscribe to or don’t want to sub to a music stream service at all.

The other thing is that you’re making an arcade racer. A huge part of arcade racers is that ‘feeling’. Setting the tone. A lot of that is lost when any old music is just whacked on top. This stuff is never really implemented well either. It’s not like the tracks start as the race does. Or the music levels change depending on what’s happening. It’s like having the radio on while playing a game.

I get what you’re saying about budget and team size. It’s got to be frustrating as hell but for the most part consumers don’t look into that stuff. To them it’s a game that they’ve bought for £30 and there will be some expectation that comes along with that.

as a counterpoint to the music conversation the first thing I do in almost every single game I play on booting it up is turn the music off

a single penny on a tight budget spent on music would be a waste for somebody like me.

As a counterpoint to your counterpoint, arcade racers are often defined by their tunes. It's a part of the genre and just putting on some random external music never works or fits as well. I appreciate and understand what Alex is saying and it is what it is - and the game could be fantastic regardless of music or no music - but I think it's also fair to note, as a player, that the Spotify integration is a very welcome additional feature. More games should have that (even if I will never use it because I don't have or want Spotify). But as a complete replacement for having any kind of in-game music, selected by the devs to fit the feel of the game, it's less welcome. 

I also think that it's going to be weird playing an arcade racer with no music at all (like I said, I don't have or want Spotify), but we shall see. Everything else looks fantastic.

10 minutes ago, Gotters said:

as a counterpoint to the music conversation the first thing I do in almost every single game I play on booting it up is turn the music off

a single penny on a tight budget spent on music would be a waste for somebody like me.

With that then I suppose the situation for you would be a game coming out that asked you to subscribe to something to allow you to turn that music off.

Obviously that’s not the same thing, but you see my point?

21 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I've always done this with the Burnout games, as I can't stand the rawk music.