rllmuk
wev

Dangerous Driving - it's Burnout! Out Now. "brake a little earlier than you were thinking of, stay on the gas and steer!"

38 minutes ago, CrashedAlex said:

Hello,

Today is my third day showing the game at PAX here in Boston. Has been good fun so far meeting some of the hardcore fans. Showing One X 1440p 60fps.

Have never been to a PAX before and my first game show since 2012. - first one was E3 in Atlanta many moons ago.

If any of you are at the show come and say hello. I am at the Indie Megabooth, behind the merchandise stand opposite Facebook Gaming.

I just have a big 4KTV a sign and four chairs! Bare bones but I think it's down to the software to do the work..

Reminds me of DC era TGS crossed with E3.

Some people really do come up and rule it on their first ever play.

Met some great people. It's cosplay and merchandise and pin collecting and all of that stuff.

Talking all day long about how wrecks are persistent in takedown races (someone christened them car-casses yesterday), how unlocked cars are tailor made for modes - one earns boost quicker, uses it quicker, and chains quicker - each chain adds 2mph onto top speed, one is better for rage - it's stronger, hits harder and does less damage - one is built for all out speed but is also more fragile and also how rulesets evolve with tier progress...

And if you have Spotify Premium we have in-game controls so you can race to whatever music you want to. I did my playthroughs to the 'this is ACDC playlist' as 'Highway to Hell' seemed to 

fit.

Preorder is up on Epic Store, Xbox and PS4 now - discount and an exclusive car.

If I can make it through today without losing my voice and manage to actually eat something during the eight hours on the floor it will be an achievement!

ps - the 'as a fan of Burnout 2...' bit made me laugh. when you play a 'Heatwave Event' there aren't any takedowns as it's a circa 2002 style race.

pps then it will be 'as a fan of Burnout 3 this looks like it doesn't have any takedowns in it...'

There is no Switch version in development. We are 7 people and we've done all of this in seven months.

See this? Fucking god tier, right there.

Preordered. Mostly for alex’s contributions to this and the other thread (the enthusiasm!), and some crossed fingers wrt. burnouts past.

• Upvote 1

On 30/03/2019 at 11:45, CrashedAlex said:

There is no Switch version in development. We are 7 people and we've done all of this in seven months.

I totally get your reasoning, I see that you are a small team, etc

But I can't help thinking Switch is currently the hardware that is moving units, it's the hardware that is moving software, and it's the hardware that has a HUGE GREAT GAPING HOLE in the 'arcade racer' genre. It feels like a massively missed opportunity for you guys to make an impact on that platform.

I really hope it does well enough for you to reconsider this further down the line (either in terms of a port, or including Switch in planning for Dangerous Driving II: Drive Dangerousererer).

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

9 minutes ago, rgraves said:

I totally get your reasoning, I see that you are a small team etc etc

But Switch is currently the hardware that is moving units, it's the hardware that is moving software, and it's the hardware that has a HUGE GREAT GAPING HOLE in the 'arcade racer' genre. It feels like a massively missed opportunity for you guys to make an impact on that platform.

I hope it does well enough for you to reconsider this further down the line (either in terms of a port, or including Switch in planning for Dangerous Driving II: Drive Dangerousererer).

Agree not sure why the Switch doesn't have more arcade racers. I am currently pondering going down to a one console existence but need to keep either the X or PS4 for the arcade racers....

15 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Agree not sure why the Switch doesn't have more arcade racers. I am currently pondering going down to a one console existence but need to keep either the X or PS4 for the arcade racers....

Other than this, what other arcade racers are there? And don't say Forza Horizon.

• Upvote 2

That Eurogamer article makes it sound great, although it surprises me a little that nobody remembers Burnout Dominator. It was a non-Criterion cash-in sequel made by EA themselves, but for all that it was pretty good, I thought - it did a nice job of synthesising all the different versions of Burnout into one game (so you could chain burnouts if you let the gauge build all the way to the top before firing it off like in Burnout 2, or you could use it piecemeal for a less effective but more situational boost, like in Burnout 3).

Deffo getting Dangerous Driving, and tempted to get Danger Zone at the same time as a kind of crash annex.

53 minutes ago, wev said:

Other than this, what other arcade racers are there? And don't say Forza Horizon.

This is true...  few BC games though but guess they don't count! Not been a whole bunch of arcade racers this gen  on any machines at all really....  

2 hours ago, Hewson said:

Nice Eurogamer write up here. I'm genuinely excited for this having found the evolution of driving games going in a quite different direction to what I always loved about them for some years now.

Just been reading that writeup.  60fps on X? Looks like I'll be keeping that console then...Games like this *need* to run at 60fps  :D 

47 minutes ago, K said:

That Eurogamer article makes it sound great, although it surprises me a little that nobody remembers Burnout Dominator. It was a non-Criterion cash-in sequel made by EA themselves, but for all that it was pretty good, I thought - it did a nice job of synthesising all the different versions of Burnout into one game (so you could chain burnouts if you let the gauge build all the way to the top before firing it off like in Burnout 2, or you could use it piecemeal for a less effective but more situational boost, like in Burnout 3).

Deffo getting Dangerous Driving, and tempted to get Danger Zone at the same time as a kind of crash annex.

Danger Zone 2 is free with the boxed edition.

• Upvote 1

Aye, the EG preview does sound promising ... for fans of Takedown.

"As a fan of Burnout 2" (;)) I'm wary that the Heatwave mode is just a small aspect of the game, and that takedowns and crashing make up the majority of the game.  

Still, this looks lovely enough to warrant giving it a fair shot. :)

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Just been reading that writeup.  60fps on X? Looks like I'll be keeping that console then...Games like this *need* to run at 60fps  :D 

It's 30fps on base and 60fps on premium models. Criterion were True Believers when it came to this, as all the Burnout games they made were 60fps, it was only when they stopped making those games that they resorted to 30fps.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, mushashi said:

It's 30fps on base and 60fps on premium models. Criterion were True Believers when it came to this, as all the Burnout games they made were 60fps, it was only when they stopped making those games that they resorted to 30fps.

Yep remember them on the PS2. Amazing games.... loved the fact they stuck religiously to 60fps - always speed over visuals. Not that they look that bad either really.... Wasn't Paradise 60fps on the 360/PS3 too... that didn't look bad (still doesn't now!).

Wonder why this hasn't reached the lofty heights of 60fps on the base consoles? Surely they have enough grunt to hit it? Maybe a majority of the market aren't really fussed at having arcade racers run at 60fps these days? Didn't think much of it myself I guess until I booted up Forza Horizon 4 on the X at 60fps and then went back to 4K mode... eeek. Then played DriveClub again afterwards (lovely visuals but the really noticed the frame rate).

Just thankful I have an X to enjoy this on. I've been spoilt with 60fps on racers these days. Both on FM7 and FH4.

10 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Yep remember them on the PS2. Amazing games.... loved the fact they stuck religiously to 60fps - always speed over visuals. Not that they look that bad either really.... Wasn't Paradise 60fps on the 360/PS3 too... that didn't look bad (still doesn't now!).

Wonder why this hasn't reached the lofty heights of 60fps on the base consoles? Surely they have enough grunt to hit it? Maybe a majority of the market aren't really fussed at having arcade racers run at 60fps these days? Didn't think much of it myself I guess until I booted up Forza Horizon 4 on the X at 60fps and then went back to 4K mode... eeek. Then played DriveClub again afterwards (lovely visuals but the really noticed the frame rate).

It's usually a lack of power problem, otherwise all games would naturally run at at least 60fps.

Whoever did the programming at Three Fields would be best placed to answer the question in this particular instance, but I'd think if you were willing to severely compromise the visuals and rendering resolution, then the base models could be made to get close to 60fps. But the majority of people are not willing to go to those lengths to get that sweet 60Hz playability, they'd rather trade that off for improved visuals and rendering resolution.

Forza Horizon 3 has to trade in native 4K rendering for 1080p to achieve 60Hz, which is a fairly drastic reduction in rendering resolution to double the frame rate of the game.

9 minutes ago, mushashi said:

It's usually a lack of power problem, otherwise all games would naturally run at at least 60fps.

Whoever did the programming at Three Fields would be best placed to answer the question in this particular instance, but I'd think if you were willing to severely compromise the visuals and rendering resolution, then the base models could be made to get close to 60fps. But the majority of people are not willing to go to those lengths to get that sweet 60Hz playability, they'd rather trade that off for improved visuals and rendering resolution.

Forza Horizon 3 has to trade in native 4K rendering for 1080p to achieve 60Hz, which is a fairly drastic reduction in rendering resolution to double the frame rate of the game.

Yep kinda get the visual fidelity over framerate thing. But Burnouts have always been about pure speed and adrenaline rush of intense gaming. Which I was actually surprised to learn that this on the base consoles only runs at 30fps. From a Burnout purists point of view and an arcade racer fan I would have thought 60fps would have been priority.

However guessing market pressures mean that it has to look pretty too. And perhaps the engine couldn't be optimised to achieve a rock steady 60fps on base hardware. So better to lock at a rock sold 30 than aim for 60 with too many frame drops.

Anyhow... guess the team have their reasons. 

On 13/02/2019 at 22:37, Thor said:

Looks fun, but as a fan of Burnout 2 this looks too takedown-heavy for my liking. 

Out of interest in the trailer above is that in game speed? Is this on base hardware or PRO/X/PC hardware? If its on base hardware then seems great and very intense... (no worries about the 30fps update speed). However it just seems a little quick to be 30fps. Could be wrong... what do I know :D 

If it looks and plays like that on my X though happy days here.

I’ve just preordered - in part due to reading about your passion for the game and giving interesting insights; in part due to a hope that if it’s a success you’ll make a Switch version; and in part because it looks awesome!

27 minutes ago, CrashedAlex said:

Just got home from the craziness of the PAX Show. Very very demanding time. My hands ache from shaking everyone's hand who came to play.

Nothing like seeing your own joypad break on the third day right at the doors opened at 10am. Borrowed another one to find it needed an update! But I had no internet connection on our stand (it's $1000 for 4 days) I chose a big 4K instead. Went to Xbox to borrow one and as I had no business cards with me I had to explain who I was and the games I'd done - luckily there was an ex-UK guy there who saved my life (Thanks Lee if you read this forum!) - the Xbox Tech Guy there still probably thinks I was some blagger after one of their 'special' controllers.

Lots of learning for us from seeing the scale of the show. Got to meet many many passionate fans from over the years. Made a real difference to the decade I spent attending E3.

Got to see what the audience looks like these days, their different ages and what their experiences are in gaming.

Standing up for four days really takes it out of you. It was hard to eat or drink as the place was rammed. Going to the toilet was 25 minute walk to the hotel next door. It was as rammed as any TGS I ever visited. Met a couple of UK players who had flown out to attend the event.

All in all a great experience and definitely plan to attend again - this time maybe someone will help us out with a few PC's and some wheels so I don't have to spend seven hours on a plane with the heavy Xbox dev kit on my lap for the whole flight!

Right I'm off to bed. I've had six hours sleep in 48 hrs...

But as a fan of burnout 2 ...kidding! Enjoy your rest, Alex. :)

So close to pre ordering this, my PSN credit was saved for the Japanese sale coming up, but this seems almost too good to be true. I'm hoping the handling is more Burnout/Ridge Racer than Driveclub and most racers these days? If so, I am in like Flynn. Kudos for doing something different from the rest of the industry at the moment

21 hours ago, K said:

Yeah I actually loved Dominator, got it on PSP.  I don't rate Burnout Revenge (4), I thought the traffic checking aspects ruined it.  Burnout 3 is still king, Burnout 2 - fond (Crash) memories... 

Amazon has this up at £29.99.

I read a review today, from PUSH SQUARE.  Sounds a bit mixed.