rllmuk
wev

Dangerous Driving - it's Burnout! Out Now. "brake a little earlier than you were thinking of, stay on the gas and steer!"

@CrashedAlexI understand what you're saying, I'm not expecting a successor to BO3 as such but hopefully some of the elements that made that such a great game are in Dangerous Driving. The playthrough video looks fantastic :)

18 minutes ago, CrashedAlex said:

But at the time I was pretty annoyed at those sorts of decisions being made immediately and sort of forced upon us so soon after we were acquired. I think we were one of the best PS2 teams on the planet at the time and I think most of us would have really liked to have a crack at it ourselves and try to become the best PSP team on the planet as well.

So do you reckon you'd have been able to do the impossible?, make it run at 60fps instead of the compromised 30fps that a lot of PSP racing games had to settle for, including the PSP port of Outrun 2006. That was always something that made the home console Burnout games play so well, the fact they updated at 60fps helped the playability a lot.

Is traffic going to be scripted in this? I think that's what make's Burnout 1 so damn good; dynamic traffic is fine but really if you script a certain car going around the corner at a certain time then that becomes a massive boost to your level design choice.

@elyuw That video was just capture of us playing - with time pressure beating down on us - to send a video to IGN. We were under the impression that they would do a commentary of it so it was introducing all of the tracks and their locations, then going through each game mode one by one. So we captured all of them. Would have loved to have done more of a trailer - which is all properly edited and has all the slick production and captions but we were up against it as it is. We lost a whole week of development doing that video.  Again, this stuff scales with team size.  In comparison, on NFS MW EA hired a team of people to just capture the game all through development and make trailers. That team alone was THREE times the size of our entire Studio right now - and we're doing three platforms simultaneously. I saw JC4 released something like 20 trailers from announce to release.

@mushashi Highly unlikely as the hardware probably wasn't quite good enough. Would have easily ran if we'd made the visuals way worse though. I'm not the best person to ask about that anyway. Alex Fry would be the person to ask. He used to live and breathe Sony HW back then.

@Salsa Party Animal LMAO I don't think either of those companies know we exist.

• Upvote 1

@CrashedAlex What are your plans in regard to the audio for this game? It looks the part and it'll likely play the part, given your track record. The only major missing element is music. What are the chances of getting the old Criterion sound team to do the soundtrack? failing that, I'm sure there are plenty of other musicians you could do a deal with to create some memorable driving music. The composer of the Brazilian arcade racer, Horizon Chase, is an alternative suggestion if the Criterion composers aren't possible.

I think it would go a long way to making the game more enjoyable to play as all the best (driving) games have had great memorable soundtracks.

@mushashi It's not an option for us at the moment. I don't have the money available to 'do deals' in the manner you suggest. In an ideal world, I would. In reality, I don't and we're flat out trying to finish the game. If the support is there to continue, it's something I'd love to rectify in a sequel. But we're a small team of 7 doing a 3D game on three platforms at once. As anyone in the business would know, that's a big ask as it is.

• Upvote 3

Oh my gosh. This looks PERFECT! Sold.

And, if I can do something akin to this - 

... then I'll buy copies for friends, too. (Not me playing, by the way.) I loved that track, so a remaster of it would be extremely welcome, and absolutely adored that music. PLEASE have that same effect in the music!

• Upvote 1

On the music thing, given that both consoles have Spotify integration, a licensed or bespoke soundtrack is not really that necessary given that the first thing I do in almost any racing game is to turn off whatever godawful music they've stuck in there and put something I like on instead. Wipeout Omega sounds weird with the actual soundtrack, as did Hot Pursuit.

I imagine this approach might limit the audience slightly, as not everyone will go to the trouble of setting up a custom soundtrack before starting the game, and playing it with sound effects only will sound a bit dry.

On the remastering point, I see what Alex is saying, but I think it's near-criminal that games like Burnout 1, 2 & 3 will start to disappear from videogames as consoles that can actually play them become increasingly rare and decrepit. It's not as if Burnout 2 & 3 are the equivalents of Atari's Night Driver or anything like that - they're still fantastic games that look pretty great. Publishers have a duty of sorts to ensure that games like this don't fall into obscurity, even if it's down to something like releasing the source code if they're not planning on reissuing the games themselves.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, K said:

On the music thing, given that both consoles have Spotify integration, a licensed or bespoke soundtrack is not really that necessary given that the first thing I do in almost any racing game is to turn off whatever godawful music they've stuck in there and put something I like on instead. Wipeout Omega sounds weird with the actual soundtrack, as did Hot Pursuit.

I imagine this approach might limit the audience slightly, as not everyone will go to the trouble of setting up a custom soundtrack before starting the game, and playing it with sound effects only will sound a bit dry.

That was what I was hoping would not be the case (though I understand why it is in this particular case), as every great game has had a curated or unique OST, rather than relying on the player to curate their own (licensed) soundtrack. I've personally always preferred an OST created specifically for a game, rather than an expensive and time limited licensed soundtrack, with the rare exception to prove the rule, one being the exceptional genius masterstroke of whoever licensed the soundtrack to Crazy Taxi, an example of excellent curation that fit that game like a glove and took it to the next level.

Of course, years later, we found out the (hidden) cost of that decision, they had to remove it from some versions post that due to the licensing costs, but it wouldn't have been the same experience with a DIY soundtrack imo, I'm not that inclined to pick the perfect music to go with my driving games so I'd rather the developer provide a suitable soundtrack to race to if possible.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I think I had Airport Terminal 3 Reverse mastered to essentially one long Burnout chain at one point. What a game.

I was first in the world on that track for distance for a couple of weeks once. Was two hours long or so.

Question - should you be able to chain boost in a Race type that came beyond it? e.g. In a Takedown Race?

I am thinking no, just in the same way that Takedowns don't happen in Boost Chain Race....

• Empathy 1

10 hours ago, K said:

On the remastering point, I see what Alex is saying, but I think it's near-criminal that games like Burnout 1, 2 & 3 will start to disappear from videogames as consoles that can actually play them become increasingly rare and decrepit. It's not as if Burnout 2 & 3 are the equivalents of Atari's Night Driver or anything like that - they're still fantastic games that look pretty great. Publishers have a duty of sorts to ensure that games like this don't fall into obscurity, even if it's down to something like releasing the source code if they're not planning on reissuing the games themselves.

FYI Burnout 2 plays gloriously on a wii through a component cable in 480p. Just use nintendont to boot the NTSC disc and force prog scan (hold b when booting). 

15 hours ago, CrashedAlex said:

Question - should you be able to chain boost in a Race type that came beyond it? e.g. In a Takedown Race?

I am thinking no, just in the same way that Takedowns don't happen in Boost Chain Race....

I'd answer the question if I understood it

• Upvote 1

I think he means should you be able to Boost Chain like Burnout 2 when competing in a race where the goal is to perform takedowns like Burnout 3 and Revenge?

To a degree, but the whole point of the boost mechanic in Burnout 2 was that you needed to put in some driving skill to be able to keep it going, hence boost chaining, it was not infinite and poor driving would make it run out. You had to also drive well enough to start the chain in the first place, so straight into oncoming traffic on the wrong side of the road you went :D

Each Mode is going to use the correct rules from the time in which the Mode appeared.

Takedowns are in Face/Offs as an exception to the above rule bc they were there in the game I directed in 2004, and it feels good to smash your opponent off the road.

It's been a good couple of days - tuning the Burning Laps, Face Offs and just playing some Road Rage at the moment.Certainly making us all smile today.

• Upvote 4

On 08/01/2019 at 12:52, CrashedAlex said:

@mushashi It's not an option for us at the moment. I don't have the money available to 'do deals' in the manner you suggest. In an ideal world, I would. In reality, I don't and we're flat out trying to finish the game. If the support is there to continue, it's something I'd love to rectify in a sequel. But we're a small team of 7 doing a 3D game on three platforms at once. As anyone in the business would know, that's a big ask as it is.

Would you be interested in accepting any donations of music.  I work with a few producers and we have quite a lot of instrumentals that have never been released.  It's all dance music, mostly drum & bass. It's all mastered to a very high standard.  It would be a great way to get our music out there, and there's F all money to be made in dance music these days anyway. PM me if you want more info.

• Upvote 2

You could put Rag doll people in the cars which would be fun to watch. 

(and then have a Thrill drive cheat mode where the rag dolls scream and some TV cam shows the action with some 'sinster' music - that would be a great nod to the whole genre as that game pretty much started it all!)

@Dimahoo Here's the thinking behind why that stuff never happened - and never will - I never wanted the experience to be any more than fast fun. I never wanted to imply fatality or death in any way. The cars in "OutRun" and "Daytonnnnnnnnaaaaaahhhhhh" ("let's go away, let's go away!") flip and bounce and crash - but they didn't need bodies flying about (well, OutRun sort of did) and neither did any of the "Burnout" games. Implying fatality also ups the games rating.

"Thrill Drive" was a big influence for me, but many many other games also influenced me up to the point I took the job at Criterion and was able to start a development project. The style of game has sort of always been in my blood since the first time I played "Pole Position" really.

If you subscribe to our newsletter at www.threefieldsentertainment.com I write blog posts about my personal history with the genre.

• Upvote 4

On 09/01/2019 at 18:02, nakamura said:

To be fair @CrashedAlex, Burnout 2-3 HD would look amazing! It's a testament to them rather than a lack of wanting something new for most of us I'd feel. 

Or, you know, just getting the Xbox versions compatible with the Xbox One.  Given I have all three in my desk drawer here ...