rllmuk
wev

Dangerous Driving - it's Burnout! Out Now. "brake a little earlier than you were thinking of, stay on the gas and steer!"

So had around 20mins or so on this early this morning.

Well it was fun... looks like Burnout. Feels like Burnout. :) Lovely graphics takes me right back to the blue sky arcade games of yesteryear with shiny additions... speed is phenomenal. Didn't notice any of the frame dips at all mentioned in the digital foundry overview.

Managed to complete a few events - platimumed the takedown one... that was fun.... Didn't get chance to link up to Spotify yet but as expected this really needs music! Sound effects are bit subdued too the crashes don't seem to have much weight behind the impact because of the sound.

Looking forward to spending more time with this tonight... enjoying so far. Love the fact its just such a pure and focused experience. No fluff or annoying voice overs etc etc.  A great game to pick up and play for an hour or two at a time.  Refreshing. 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

20 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

So with basic Spotify, you can still pick a playlist but it will shuffle the songs? That would work for me if so, but ads popping in would be annoying. Not £10 a month annoying though.

Kind of. You need to run the Spotify app separately to the game, and pick a playlist from there. It then plays the music over all of the game, whether your racing or not. Not as bad as it sounds. :)  Reminds of me playing PES in my bedroom years back with music playing on my Hi-Fi (remember those!). 

13 minutes ago, wev said:

Are there leaderboards available? 

Yes. :)

5 minutes ago, omus said:

Had a quick go this morning and found the sensitivity a little high. Reading on Reddit this seems common and you get a more Burnout style of handling from 4 or 5, and not the 7 the game defaults to. Will try that later. 

Aye, I'll try that later too, should feel a bit less like tron then. :)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Reminds of me playing PES in my bedroom years back with music playing on my Hi-Fi (remember those!). 

Oh yes I do, and it is literally the set up when playing this because fuck spotify. And cheers for the sensitivity tip, omus. It was far too twitchy for me last night so I'll have to try that.

• Upvote 2

Is anyone else finding the corners / bends arrows for the oncoming traffic side a little confusing?

I keep turning into them and crashing into imaginary corners / bends. 

Please reverse them for the drivers benefit!

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Fatsam said:

What the buggery, when's the PC version actually out? I thought it was today. Pre-ordered this late last night expecting have a go this morning and it's still "unavailable".

Anyone know when I'll get to play this? Never bought anything from the Epic Store before and they don't appear to like letting you know that kind information. 

Didn't buy on the PC because it was on the Epic store. However since discovered from the wonderful FAQs page on the three fields website that it on humble too.. (and its only £20.68 on there for the next six or so hours at least!).

Wish I'd read the FAQ sooner hey ho.... :D 

EDIT: Just realised even if you buy on humble still uses the Epic launcher etc. Still its cheaper on here than Epics own store.

11 minutes ago, bignige said:

Is anyone else finding the corners / bends arrows for the oncoming traffic side a little confusing?

I keep turning into them and crashing into imaginary corners / bends. 

Please reverse them for the drivers benefit!

Hee hee noticed that too... but technically I guess there are in correct place as they are on the other side of the road.... Guessing it adds to the challenge?! :) 

48 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

So with basic Spotify, you can still pick a playlist but it will shuffle the songs? That would work for me if so, but ads popping in would be annoying. Not £10 a month annoying though.

You can always upload some music to OneDrive... link to it with the Groove app and then control your music from there? (on the Xbox here...).

Not sure is PS4 has similar?

10 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

They could have used a few bars of incidental music at key moments during the race, like Virtua Racing. That was really effective, I thought.

Or license it for not much money: https://artlist.io/

Think this is what I found a bit odd when first playing. Not much sound at all... even while loading perhaps the title music could have kept playing or something. At the end of events in particular in just some jingles or something is needed IMHO. Anyhow it is what it is :) Plays great... keep me entertained and perfect for what I need - a quick Burnout type fix of arcade racing.

Looking forward to hooking it up to Spotify tonight and giving it a proper go! :) 

Remember the old strapline from one of the reviews at the time of Burnout (quite apt for this too I thought)... "Its so fast it will make your eyes bleed"... :D 

52 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Didn't buy on the PC because it was on the Epic store. However since discovered from the wonderful FAQs page on the three fields website that it on humble too.. (and its only £20.68 on there for the next six or so hours at least!).

Wish I'd read the FAQ sooner hey ho.... :D 

EDIT: Just realised even if you buy on humble still uses the Epic launcher etc. Still its cheaper on here than Epics own store.

Damn, wish I'd know this last night. I did do a brief search for places to buy it on PC, but didn't see that.

Presumably the countdown on the humble store is an indication of when it unlocks on the Epic Store. So 4pm today. To then download before I play, because you can't pre-download stuff on Epic store obviously.

EDIT

oh yeah it's 4pm

says so on that FAQ cheers.

10 minutes ago, Fatsam said:

Damn, wish I'd know this last night. I did do a brief search for places to buy it on PC, but didn't see that.

Presumably the countdown on the humble store is an indication of when it unlocks on the Epic Store. So 4pm today. To then download before I play, because you can't pre-download stuff on Epic store obviously.

No its on sale for this length of time! :) Just realised that myself.... The regular price on humble is actually slightly more expensive than the Epic one... 

Suppose you can always get a refund from the Epic store and then buy on Humble? 

Its still uses the Epic platform though... which is what has put me off the PC version. I have chosen Steam as the platform of choice on the PC so if it isn't on there don't bother with it on the PC. Just like all my friends lists etc in one place. If all content got released on the Windows Store and I could use the Xbox app I'd probably move to that (as it integrates nicely with my Xbox One) and other MS devices. Hate having lots of clients on the PC for things... gets really messy fast. Then there are the allegations (maybe unfounded) that the Epic launcher is spyware too. Then the fact that Epic are buying up third party content exclusively for their store/platform.. hmmm... Not a practice I want to encourage on the PC TBH. PC has always been an open platform and not happy with the idea of being locked to a particular platform on the PC because of an exclusive game on one store that is not on another. Sigh. On a console fine that is what you buy into. PC should be open.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Kind of. You need to run the Spotify app separately to the game, and pick a playlist from there. It then plays the music over all of the game, whether your racing or not. Not as bad as it sounds.

Does that with the Premium integration as well, but you can change tracks with the d pad in race. Otherwise it works exactly the way you describe it. Will use my free sub then go back to free. Already cancelled it but I still get the 30 days

1 minute ago, MattyP said:

No its on sale for this length of time! :) Just realised that myself.... The regular price on humble is actually slightly more expensive than the Epic one... 

Suppose you can always get a refund from the Epic store and then buy on Humble? 

Its till uses the Epic platform though... which is what has put me off the PC version. I have chosen Steam as the platform of choice on the PC so if it isn't on there don't bother with it on the PC. Just like all my friends lists etc in one place. If all content got released on the Window Store and I could use Xbox I'd probably move to that (as it integrates nicely with my Xbox One) and other MS devices. Hate having lots of clients on the PC for things... gets really messy fast. Then there are the allegations (maybe unfounded) that the Epic launcher is spyware too. 

PC is the only way I get to play the game at 60fps

I had no choice..

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Fatsam said:

PC is the only way I get to play the game at 60fps

I had no choice..

Indeed. Very wise choice. This game needs 60fps IMHO.

It's (somewhat ironically) taken the shine off the game for me a little. But it's still early days, and I haven't played any night tracks yet, I wonder if I'll prefer those...

Glad it's looking successful for you though, onwards and upwards! :)

14 minutes ago, CrashedAlex said:

@Thor I was sort of waiting for this one - the game is about 'dangerous driving' - we sat and talked about what are the sorts of things that are dangerous - so 'driving stupidly fast with the sun in your eyes' was one of them.  As was - 'jumping the car when there is a lorry coming the other way right towards you.'

Everything has gone pretty well for us, glad to hear folks are enjoying it.

To pick up on this, I'm finding the glare annoying. Mostly because it isn't about risk/reward. There is no second, safer, slower option. 

There's a disconnect between crashing because you lost concentration and crashing because you physically can't see an obstacle 

• Upvote 2

@CrashedAlex really hope this works out for you and leads on to bigger opportunities to revitalise this dying genre.

I've really enjoyed what I've played so far. The handling and relatively "light" feel of everything took a bit of getting used too, but I can already feel the pull of the friends Leaderboard beconning me back for more.

Spotify integration works a treat too 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, U-1 said:

friends Leaderboard beconning me back for more.

Yep... this is to some degree more important on this type of game than the online race against each other bit! :) I was actually surprised to see this as I was under the impression it would be part of the online DLC.

Glad its working out! :) Looking forward to seeing where this goes and of course future projects.

52 minutes ago, U-1 said:

Spotify integration works a treat too

How does this work on PS4? Everytime I have tried it it basically just plays your track list over the game - no changes for menu's etc.  Is that about as good as it gets?

If anyone wants to add me to their friends list so at least you won't be bottom of your friend leaderboards, feel free! PSN ID is in my sig

You can basically pause, fast forward and rewind from the d-pad in game. It's not perfect but I imagine Spotify had some terms that had to be abided by. 

2 minutes ago, stefcha said:

Who's playing on Xbox? Add me (stefcha, same as here). 

Indeed ditto! :) 

Those leaderboards need targets! :) 

Decided for the first time in a while that I'll gun for all those lovely achievement points too.... :D 

@parrapatheslapper As @omus points out - if you authenticate Spotify from the game you can now listen to all your Playlists in-game. The D_Pad provides controls and the Spotify 'thing' (it has a word but I've forgotten it comes up) displaying the artist name and current track playing

We're not Spotify nor are we Sony or Microsoft - so we don't have free rein over this stuff or their hardware. But we are doing something new. Likewise we don't control the digital storefronts at all.

There are lots of possibilities for things that could be done with this tech.

• Upvote 1

I can see some of the criticisms above (glare, low camera, lack of music (which is really noticeable when streaming as twitch don't music unless it's from the game itself)) but at the moment none of its bothering me as I'm really enjoying myself. Love the Heatwave race in the Sedan series. 

One thing I've found is that the Face-Off races can feel a bit too long, but then that feeling has already come back to haunt me as I did the third one by the skin of my teeth