rllmuk
Revival

Crash Team Racing - Nitro Fueled

As we know Crash Bandicoot (crap bagofshite) is just a mediocre game in a genre full of incredible choice and variety, bought by non gamers etc etc etc but CTR was always pretty damn good and my wife loved it - probably the last console game she ever properly played outside of the Wii fit ( just dance genre of games!

Actulally looking forward to this as kids love Mario Kart so good to have another potentially decent option :) 

• Upvote 1

Hugely positive reviews for this, although the tone of Eurogamer’s Essential one is oddly fanboyish.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-06-21-crash-team-racing-nitro-fueled-review-generous-remaster-of-a-cult-classic

For the uninitiated (sort your lives out), Crash Team Racing is like Mario Kart only objectively loads better, firstly because it has lots of odd, Prongles-tier characters in it that signify everything great and awful about this era of '90s brand nostalgia, and also because it actually introduced some great mechanics back in the day: namely an active power-slide function (similar to but I promise not exactly the same as Mario Kart's)

Then there's the other standout feature, Adventure Mode, which it borrowed from Diddy Kong Racing (a game I didn't play and so will assume nobody cared about, because it definitely didn't earn a world record for selling fast or anything).

Looking forward to picking this up. Probably go with the PS4 version but I might hang on till the digital foundry review. 

I still pay the first game on Vita and PS3 from time to time so it’s not surprise that it still holds up. 

I also played a demo of this on a demo pod a few weeks ago and it basically feels exactly the same as the original. 

Maybe MK9 would benefit from an adventure mode instead of just effing you over on the last race every time you try to 3 star a cup. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gossi the dog said:

There's an adventure mode?

With boss races. :eyebrows:

The adventure mode is great. Even the hub areas are fun to fling your kart around. 

• Upvote 1

You should just get it. I’d forgotten how good adventure is. Once you finish each race you can go back and do challenges, time trials and relic races. 

Playing this with an Xbox pad is going to feel so wrong. I’ve got over a decade of DualShock muscle memory associated with this game. It’s possibly my most played childhood game. Either this or Crash Bandicoot 3. 

I never played the original so this is all new to me. Pleased to see the adventure mode in there as well. One thing I'm not keen on, no option to use both triggers (Xbox) for accelerate and brake. Not that you need to brake much, it just feels wrong!

In the 90 mins I’ve spent with it (handheld) I had a crash to home screen while waiting for an online race to start, and the load times are rubbing me the wrong way.

Smooth and gorgeous once you’re actually playing.

I have little affinity for the characters/world but a little goes a long way and damn it makes all the difference with this type of game. Sonic team racing had potential, its biggest weakness was the god awful brand. 

As normal there's a lot floating about online about how this being locked to 30FPS makes it unbearable and "I'm returning" etc.

So what's the score rllmuk'rs? Is this actually an issue or the usual stat crunching monsters talking rubbish? 

I'm considering the Switch Version btw :)

1 hour ago, pulsemyne said:

Rock solid 30fps in all  modes

Apart from the - completely apparent even by just looking at the frame-rate graph - constant frame pacing issue. 

I want it on switch for the portability, but then i want it on PS4 for the graphics! Someone help me with my 1st world problem please?

Buying both is not an option.

One thing that appeals to me is the speed of it.... looks a bit nipper than Mario Kart. I adore MK8, but find 150CC a little too slow, and 200CC too fast. Hoping Crash has a sweet spot in the middle of the 2.

Is this good? I promised two colleagues I’d get it (and destroy them). I’d rather not buy an actual shit game.