rllmuk
Revival

The Outer Worlds | Obsidian 2019

3 hours ago, Wiper said:

Worth noting that they all actually boost three of your stats - specifically, the three stats that they themselves have given values for: the perk they can get just boosts one of said stats by another 10 points.

The amount they boost your skills by increases as you level up, and you can yourself get a perk which doubles the boost you get from them: by level twenty I was getting a bump of 30+ points across six stats courtesy of whichever party members, which is incredibly useful. So, e.g., with Parvati on the team I have persuasion, lockpicking and engineering above 100, despite only having levelled each to 60 (engineering to 50) myself, which is particularly helpful as playing on Supernova means completely ignoring combat skills isn't really an option!

I misread the tiny text!

Finished now. Really enjoyed it. Think I’ll save a second full run and platinum get for when an update / DLC arrives, as now appears likely according to the tweet on the previous page.

• Upvote 1

I started this the other day and even on Normal am getting killed frequently.  I don't mind that so much, my character stats will improve with time,  but the long load times and reset are a bit of a bore.

18 minutes ago, marcus said:

I started this the other day and even on Normal am getting killed frequently.  I don't mind that so much, my character stats will improve with time,  but the long load times and reset are a bit of a bore.

Early on, run and gun as much as possible. If you use TTD, aim for legs to make swarming enemies stumble or cripple them to slow them down. And put obstacles between you and your foes where possible, it’ll give you some breathing space. Upgrade your weapon and armour at workbenches (in the ‘tinker’ sub-menu) and match weapons to enemies. Humans are weak against plasma, automechanicals suffer against shock etc

Once you leave Edgewater, there aren’t too many difficulty spikes so hang in there. I completed the game on hard but was tempted to drop to normal during the first hour or so. It really does become a cakewalk once you get exploring, boost your stats and have back-up in the form of companions.

5 hours ago, robdood said:

Just started this tonight on PC - OH MY GOD ITS NICE TO BE IN AN INTERESTING FALLOUT TYPE GAME AGAIN.  :wub:

Golly it's pretty, too!!  

Should do a playthrough :) 

Finished this last night. Very enjoyable and comfy game.

The final section - no spoilers - was kind of frustrating though, in the sense that it was the only difficulty spike in the whole game. This is a VERY EASY game... by the half way point I was so well-levelled and overpowered that combat was trivial. I was almost one-shotting mantiqueens on Monarch. I turned the difficulty up to Hard just to give me the slightest reason to pay attention.

But then the final section:

The prison break-in, where you are suddenly put into large stealth arenas

crawling with very tough enemies. Too many enemies to stealth around effectively, and when one spots you all hell breaks loose and you're dead in seconds. The only way to obtain a shroud ID for the area was apparently by passing a 55 Lie or 55 Intimidate beforehand, during a conversation aboard the ship where you don't have companion boosts, so I didn't have 55 in Lie or Intimidate. These big stealth areas are tough as hell without the shroud... to the point where I thought you surely weren't meant to even try without the shroud.

I'm not saying I hated the challenge, but it's unbalanced when literally everything else in the game was trivially easy, but then it finishes with lethal stealth hell. I turned the difficulty back down to Normal and savescummed through it.

1 hour ago, SqueakyG said:

Hide contents

crawling with very tough enemies. Too many enemies to stealth around effectively, and when one spots you all hell breaks loose and you're dead in seconds. The only way to obtain a shroud ID for the area was apparently by passing a 55 Lie or 55 Intimidate beforehand, during a conversation aboard the ship where you don't have companion boosts, so I didn't have 55 in Lie or Intimidate. These big stealth areas are tough as hell without the shroud... to the point where I thought you surely weren't meant to even try without the shroud.

I'm not saying I hated the challenge, but it's unbalanced when literally everything else in the game was trivially easy, but then it finishes with lethal stealth hell. I turned the difficulty back down to Normal and savescummed through it.

Spoiler

I killed everybody in that area and used my hacking (I believe) to disable that boss battle. Was a bit of a letdown truth be bold. So much is fact I'll fight that boss during my next run.

Yeah, I finally downloaded the launch day patch so I could save in the last level and:

Spoiler

Sniped my way through the last area, headshotting the bastards - there are loads of routes through it, though; climbing or hacking over and through the red crates.

And hacked the big boss bad guy. If it's the one I'm thinking of, you can also pick up three parts of the password on the way through. If you're thorough.

1 hour ago, df0 said:
  Hide contents

I killed everybody in that area and used my hacking (I believe) to disable that boss battle. Was a bit of a letdown truth be bold. So much is fact I'll fight that boss during my next run.

I didn't spot that room until I killed everything! Doh!

I felt that there was just to much to collect that didn't get used.  I never used any of the alcohol and completed the game on pretty much the set of guns I picked up during the first couple of hours play.  I think it really needed to be fleshed out more and it need more excuses to traverse the planets as I was just fast travelling between settlements.  Although the encounters with enemies got very boring as they were just the same 3 or 4 types of baddies standing around doing nothing.

Good effort but very forgettable, I am glad I played it for free on gamepass.

7 hours ago, SqueakyG said:

The final section - no spoilers - was kind of frustrating though, in the sense that it was the only difficulty spike in the whole game. This is a VERY EASY game... by the half way point I was so well-levelled and overpowered that combat was trivial. I was almost one-shotting mantiqueens on Monarch. I turned the difficulty up to Hard just to give me the slightest reason to pay attention.

But then the final section:

Hide contents

Spoiler

You just need the board ID card to use your disguise on the last mission. Its in Byzantium in the Ministry, in a room where you need to persuade (or lie maybe) to get the guard to let you in.

I didn’t fire a shot in the final quest until I reached the chairman himself and gunned him down (hacked the robot).

Actually if you didn’t have the board ID did you have to shoot your way in and out of the lab where you get the chemicals?

With regard to the last question:

Spoiler

I stealthed my way through the chemicals bit - it's relatively easy to do; when you get them, it opens up a much shorter route out.

Although I didn't steal them all; wish I had now...

2 hours ago, dreamylittledream said:

Last mission ID card:

Hide contents

You just need the board ID card to use your disguise on the last mission. Its in Byzantium in the Ministry, in a room where you need to persuade (or lie maybe) to get the guard to let you in.

Actually if you didn’t have the board ID did you have to shoot your way in and out of the lab where you get the chemicals?

I was properly shrouded for the mission where you steal the chemicals (found it in a locked room in the same building) -- that's a 'UDL ID cartridge'. But WASN'T shrouded in the prison -- that's a 'Labyrinth Security ID cartridge'. If there's some kind of Board ID that would have worked in the prison too, I must have missed it.

3 hours ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

The patch makes dialogue text nice and large if you enable the option in the HUD.  Not sure other text is affected though.

It just seems to alter the text size in conversations, which for me was never the real problem. It’s the text in the inventory screen. Which still remains small.

9 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

It just seems to alter the text size in conversations, which for me was never the real problem. It’s the text in the inventory screen. Which still remains small.

Yeah, it’s pretty disappointing really. I’m still struggling to see anything in the menus, so I’m going to keep holding off in the hope they sort it.

I didn't shoot anyone at all on the last mission.

Whenever I reached a guard-heavy area a squad of street toughs from one of the factions I'd helped showed up and slaughtered everyone. I just ran passed the chaos to the marker. 

Didn't kill the chairman or Sandra Whatsherface, I just shouted at them until they relented. More like Edward Woodward's Equalizer than DenZel's.

Seemed to get quite a nice ending, although I'm not sure how else it could have turned out yet, really should look into that.

• Upvote 1

@Chadruharazzeb I can answer that question by telling you may ending. Spoilers obvs.

Spoiler

I encountered the Chairman in the tv studio where I convinced him to join me. Was not easy, but eventually he saw reason and reluctantly sided with me. At the very end I had to choose the "face" of Halcyon: me or the Chairman. I chose myself. Not out of narcissism but because I felt the reputation of the Chairman is tainted and probably not someone everybody rallies behind.

I had a video chat with the woman who kidnapped Phineas. I failed the speech checks to spare her so I had to kill her in the room where Phineas was being held.

I'm happy enough with that ending.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

I didn't shoot anyone at all on the last mission.

Reveal hidden contents

Whenever I reached a guard-heavy area a squad of street toughs from one of the factions I'd helped showed up and slaughtered everyone. I just ran passed the chaos to the marker. 

Didn't kill the chairman or Sandra Whatsherface, I just shouted at them until they relented. More like Edward Woodward's Equalizer than DenZel's.

Seemed to get quite a nice ending, although I'm not sure how else it could have turned out yet, really should look into that.

Interesting. Was that all the way through? Because

Spoiler

I only got help from Mardets from The Groundbreaker, and only in the Dock area - but I had left the Monarch faction quest unfinished because I wasn't giving the gizmo to either of the bastards. And in Halcyon I negotiated a settlement between the two and so had sided with neither faction there, either.

So maybe you have to actually take sides to get help?

I got 3.

Spoiler

Groundbreaker in Docking area

Iconoclasts and the faction who were in disagreement with the Iconoclasts but saw reason in the end, in the circular area with the elevator

You can pass a speech check on Monarch which forces the two factions there to see reason and cooperate. I rather enjoyed that quest chain.

Spoiler

Yeah, I had three groups of people all charge in screaming “THE CAPTAIN NEEDS US” as I tried to nonchalantly stroll through with my holodisguise on, feeling somewhat conflicted about leaving them to be slaughtered. 

2 hours ago, df0 said:

I got 3.

Hide contents

Groundbreaker in Docking area

Iconoclasts and the faction who were in disagreement with the Iconoclasts but saw reason in the end, in the circular area with the elevator

You can pass a speech check on Monarch which forces the two factions there to see reason and cooperate. I rather enjoyed that quest chain.

Right - I can see why I had just one. Like I said, I sniped my way through - careful placing to avoid being spotted and mobbed. Had no ID.

Would have been even easier had I bothered to fit a silencer to my named weapon; 'Pink Slip', I think it was. With regard to my encounters:

Spoiler

I talked the chairman around, and he agreed to my plan, but I had Felix in my party and he was already pissed off that I had previously agreed to turn Phineas in; I had no intention of doing so, and had given the Board bad information anyway, but he still felt I was too friendly to the Board. So he gave me an ultimatum.

I just walked away; leaving the Chairman alive. Had to kill whatsherface to save my man Phineas, but that was trivial.

So I got a mixed ending, I think.

That bit went wrong for me:

Spoiler

I talked the chairman around but every time I finished the convo a random enemy would run into the room and start shooting and we ended up having to kill the Chairman. 

I reloaded it like 5 times and it kept happening. 

I think the whole holographic disguise thing was pretty undercooked. The way it works and not being able to charge it - having to pass stupid speech checks repeatedly just felt like it could have been done better. 

53 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Hide contents

I talked the chairman around but every time I finished the convo a random enemy would run into the room and start shooting and we ended up having to kill the Chairman. 

Maybe it's because I left nobody alive to do that.

On 19/11/2019 at 12:10, SqueakyG said:

The final section - no spoilers - was kind of frustrating though, in the sense that it was the only difficulty spike in the whole game. This is a VERY EASY game...

People should put the difficulty setting up to the max to get full enjoyment from this and the systems in place. Really challenging and involves a lot of strategising, not least on when to nip back to the ship to save the game. No fast travel to anywhere but the ship either.

7 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Reveal hidden contents

I think the whole holographic disguise thing was pretty undercooked. The way it works and not being able to charge it - having to pass stupid speech checks repeatedly just felt like it could have been done better. 

Yeah, I thought it was shit. The part where 

Spoiler

You steal the chemicals for Phineas - the place was so big that you couldn't get through it with your disguise intact, even using all three bars. 

It just restricted exploration more than anything.

• Upvote 2

Jesus Christ. I’ve decided to play a bit this evening, while squinting at the tiny text, and have just left Edgewater and flown to Monarch. It’s absolutely brutal. The place is completely overrun with mental hard beasts and I’m struggling to get anywhere. Is it supposed to be this difficult? I’ve only got it set on the default difficulty as well!

10 minutes ago, JPL said:

Jesus Christ. I’ve decided to play a bit this evening, while squinting at the tiny text, and have just left Edgewater and flown to Monarch. It’s absolutely brutal. The place is completely overrun with mental hard beasts and I’m struggling to get anywhere. Is it supposed to be this difficult? I’ve only got it set on the default difficulty as well!

I think the recent patch has made those lizards harder, because I found them easy to kill on playing for the first time. But it does get better when you get better guns with more damage, and make sure to mod them. I'm playing on hard on my 3rd playthrough, and at first those beasts were too tough (I was running past them). But I got some better guns, and modded them, and now I can take them down with ease.

Buy or nick lots of ammo too

8 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

I think the recent patch has made those lizards harder, because I found them easy to kill on playing for the first time. But it does get better when you get better guns with more damage, and make sure to mod them. I'm playing on hard on my 3rd playthrough, and at first those beasts were too tough (I was running past them). But I got some better guns, and modded them, and now I can take them down with ease.

Buy or nick lots of ammo too

Am I supposed to go somewhere else first then, because this place feels way above my level and, I think, I completely rinsed Edgewater? The quest marker is over 1.5km away!

4 minutes ago, JPL said:

Am I supposed to go somewhere else first then, because this place feels way above my level and, I think, I completely rinsed Edgewater? The quest marker is over 1.5km away!

You can sneak pass most of the beasts, using the yellow grass. There's no shame in running past them, plus you're free to do any quest in any order. It's up to you. You'll soon have loads of guns to choose from, when you start doing the quests around Monarch.